open/close all folders
Maoh King's children
Tropes shared between brothers
- The Chosen Ones: They were referred as such in the opening narration, but what was their purpose isn't clear. Its revealed they were chosen by the Dai Genma to fight against each other, with the victor becoming the new Maoh King.
- Child by Rape: Like many other children fathered by the Maoh King, their mother was... unwilling.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: If their eyes are glowing white, red or gold... Just hope you don't get caught in their way.
- Half-Human Hybrid: They are demon-human hybrids.
- Human Mom Nonhuman Dad: Their mother Nuu was a human with magical powers, while their father was a demonic king.
- Mind over Matter: The most common manifestation of their demonic powers is being able to move things with their minds.
- Separated at Birth: As soon as they are born, Loof is taken in by the Genmas while Gin is allowed to remain with Non after Nuu convinces the Maoh King that Gin is more human than Genma.
- Sibling Team: Once they are reunited. They also form another team up with their other half-siblings.
Played by: Kenji NojimaThe eldest twin, he was taken to be raised by his demonic father for having more Genma attributes. He grew into a privileged life as a Genma prince, even though he was never loved by his stepmother Parome (whom he thought was his real mother). One night, after a bizarre transformation turns him into a human, he was exiled from the Castle Genma and pursued by his mother's extermination squads.
- Anime Hair: He has a rather Wolverine-esque haircut.
- Berserk Button: Hurting Meena or his friends.
- Big Brother Instinct: Not just towards Jin, but to Pogo too.
- Blue Oni: To Gin's Red Oni. He is calmer, nicer and cooler-headed than his brother, possibly as result of being raised in a more stable home, or whatever the term stable holds value for demons with a Wicked Stepmother notwithstanding.
- HeelFace Turn: Loof eventually goes through this when he meets Meena
- Humanity Ensues: Somewhat... He was raised from birth as an Genma prince and had many distinct features that marked him as one such as pointed ears and blank eyes. One night, a strange transformation turned him into human (gaining normal eyes and ears) and as result, was banished by his father for being a failure. He still kept his amazing powers, however.
- Mad Dictator's Handsome Son: Loof rebels against his father after being exiled from his caste.
- Noble Fugitive: Becomes one after being banished by his parents for turning into a human.
- Nice Guy: Loof is easier to befriend people and more well-adjusted than his brother Gin is.
- Strong Family Resemblance: His hairstyle resembles his father's greatly.
Played by: Daisuke Namikawa
The youngest twin, he was left in the care of his mother Non due to being the most human. Gin lived a hard life due to his mother offering herself to bear the Maoh King's child in the hopes of sparing her village. His life takes a drastic turn when his mother is killed by Parome's extermination squads, and he decides to join the ninjas, a group of rebels that oppose the Genma.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He was viewed as a freak by his fellow villagers.
- Berserk Button: Hurting his mom or Nuu.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Born into Slavery: Because he was raised by mother, who was a slave herself like other humans.
- Frameup: Gin falls victim of one, courtesy of his childhood bullies.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Gin is extremely abrasive towards anyone else that isn't his mother or Nuu. Though he can still be pretty harsh towards Ran, he still looks up after her safety when she is carrying her child and breaks down in tears with her death.
- Red Oni: To Loof's Blue Oni. Gin is more brash, harsher and angrier, due to living for most of his life as an outcast among his human peers.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: His latent powers were discovered when his mother Non was killed by Parome's men and he used them to vaporize on the spot.
NonA girl from the Hito tribe, she offered herself to the Maoh King in hopes of sparing her village. She gave birth to twin children Loof and Gin, but she keeps only the most human one.
- Beauty = Goodness: Played straight with both Non and Meena, who are the nicest and most beautiful women.
- Berserk Button: She really doesn't like it when someone hurts her loved ones.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She manifest her powers when the monkey soldiers come to threaten her villager.
- Dress Hits Floor: Non is forced to pull this one in the first episode.
- Dude Magnet: Non would qualify as this. There's a soldier who is fascinated with her figure, Moah King, who compliments, is gentle with, and even requests to see Non again, and Nuu, who she doesn't reciprocate but cares about.
- Girly Bruiser
- Informed Attractiveness: She is presented as one of the most attractive female members of the cast.
- Long Hair Is Feminine
- Kill the Cutie: She was murdered by Parome's soldiers when the Maoh King requested to see Non again, afraid that he would replace her as queen.
- Mama Bear
- Purple Eyes: She's exceptionally beautiful and possess mysterious powers.
- Rape as Drama: At the Maoh King's hands.
- Teen Pregnancy: She was just 16 years old when she become pregnant with Loof and Gin.
- Alpha Bitch: She certainly gives this vibe before the Maoh King.
- Deliberately Distressed Damsel: Ruri submits herself to the Genmas, believing that if she bears Maoh King a powerful child she will become the Maoh Queen and proceeds to give Maoh King a speech of how hot she is and how she would make a great queen until Maoh King grows annoyed by her and feeds her to a monster.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: She dies in the same scene she is introduced.
Played by: Fumiko Orikasa
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Beauty = Goodness: Played straight with both Non and Meena, who are the nicest and most beautiful women.
- Berserk Button: She really doesn't like it when someone hurts Loof.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When Loof is injured by a Genma, she reacts by destroying the ground beneath them.
- Closer to Earth: Meena.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Flower in Her Hair: Meena has flowers around the base of her ponytail.
- Friend to All Living Things: Animals flock to her presence.
- Gratuitous Rape: After Loof is kicked out of the King's castle, he meets Meena and, after being at least somewhat friendly and decent to her, decides to assault her. Without so much as a "get away you bastard", she doesn't fight him off. She doesn't even seem to understand the way that she was violated, and pontificates to the effect of, "It felt like his life force was entering me..."
- Girly Bruiser
- Hand on Womb: Meena reveals to Loof that she's pregnant with his child this way.
- Kill the Cutie: She is killed while protect Loof from enemy fire.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Loof's main love interest Meena looks, acts and has the same powers as his mother.
- Long Hair Is Feminine
Played by: Wataru TakagiThe leader of the Ninjas, a resistance group of force-powered individuals who stands against the Genmas. In reality, they are no better than the Genma, acting as highwaymen and criminals that prey on the humans.
- Bald of Evil: Has a completely clean shaven top and is extremely sleazy and evil.
- Establishing Character Moment: We know Dan and his cronies are up to no good when they assault peasants carrying tributes to the Genma in their first scene, taking away their crops and when called out they still have to pay their masters, Dan shrugs it off saying they are La Résistance fighting for their freedom.
- Evil Is Petty: Dan tricks Gin into eating a roasted pig... Then reveals that he ate a human that Dan made it look like a pig. Dan ends up getting killed by Gin because of it. It turns out it was just a pig anyways and it was all a prank that Dan pulled on him.
- Jerkass: The man is extremely contemptuous and doesn't do much to better himself. The humans' lives are already hard under the Genma, and he makes it worse by stealing their stuff.
- No Kill Like Over Kill: After Dan mortally wounded Nuu, Gin summons a ice spike to impale him, a meteor to crush him and lightning storm to obliterate his body.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Its clear from their first scene, that the Ninjas aren't a virtuous rebellious group since they steal the peasants' tithes destined to their Genma masters and never do anything to protect them. In fact, they pretty much only target peasants and never fight directly against the Genma regime.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Despite the prospect of overthrowing the Genma, he isn't very interested in that, preferring to leech off defenseless human peasants. At worse, he is a persistent nuisance to the Genma and nothing more of a common bandit in the big scheme of things. Its revealed after his death that Ran is pregnant with his child, who turns out to be Dar, the reincarnation of the Great Genma and the Greater-Scope Villain in the series.
- Social Darwinist: Dan thinks humans are just meat and deserve to be oppressed by the Genma because they are much weaker.
- Boyish Short Hair: She sports her hair crop short in contrast to other female characters in the show.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Like other females in the show.
- Girly Bruiser
- Lady in Red: Unusually, Ran is dressed in red rags, but the trope is still in effect: she is the most lustful female in the show and also is secretly working for Parome.
- Love Interest: Gin's.
- The Mole: She is secretly working for Parome to spy on the Ninjas.
PogoPogo is a slave boy who originally belonged to Bugara, he was freed by Loof when said Bugara tried to offer his flesh as dessert. Pogo then became Loof's loyal companion.
- Action Survivor: He is just an human child who lived through many closed calls against demons and monsters due to Loof being around. He is one of the named characters to live through the end too.
- I Owe You My Life: Pogo vows to willingly serve Loof in gratitude for freeing him.
- Kid Sidekick: To Loof.
- Morality Pet: To Loof.
Played By: Mami Kingetsu
- Action Survivor: Just a normal human in modern times who ends up being forced into the action after being caught up with in the heroes' quest. She is one of the few named characters to survive at the end as well.
- He Knows Too Much: Namie walks into a studio where her employers (who in reality are Genma in disguise) having sex with schoolgirls. They attempt to kill her (by sending her jumping off to her death) to keep their cover from being blown.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Namie nearly falls victim to one, being telepathically commanded to jump off a roof by her bosses.
- Replacement Goldfish: She adopts Dar after finding him on modern times, possibly to replace her recently-deceased son.
- Team Mom: To the heroes after landing in modern times.
Played By: Akemi OkamuraAn Anarchist leader, she is a Biker Babe from modern times pursued by the local government who crosses paths with Gin and Loof.
- Action Girl: On top of having force powers, she also uses them to resist the oppressive rule in modern times.
- Biker Babe: She is the member of an anarchist gang who uses bikes.
- Death by Sex: She makes love to Gin in the final episode and dies shortly after in the nuclear war.
- Mystical White Hair: She has milk-white hair and exhibits force powers much like Meena and Non.
Maoh KingThe absolute ruler of the Genma on Earth, he was left in control of the planet eons ago after his kind enslaved mankind and moved for other planet. Resentful of ruling over such miserable world, he entertains himself by oppressing mortals and taking any beautiful young women as his concubines. One of these many girls was Non, who gave birth to Loof and Gin.
- 0% Approval Rating: Given his extremely volatile behavior, that is to be expected. According to one Genma nobleman, his actions were a thorn on their people side and they are willing to rebel against him and install Loof in the throne.
- Abusive Parents: When his children don't meet his unreachable standards, the Maoh King either kills or banishes them and proceeds to impregnate more girls as if nothing happened.
- Bad Boss: Punishing his minions for questioning his motives makes him one.
- The Caligula: As Earth's ruler, he is the poster child of an unpredictable and insane tyrant. Not even the other Genma (who are far from bastions of morality themselves) like him very much, but nobody really dares to rise up against him because they are too scared and he was appointed by the Great Genma himself to rule over Earth.
- Disc-One Final Boss: He is built up as the Big Bad for the first nine episodes.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Maoh King dishes it out like crazy. He transforms Nuu into a wolf for questioning his arbitrary decision to kill Katsu, feeds a potential concubine to his monsters because he found her annoying and transforms the minion that brought her into a living doll as punishment.
- Establishing Character Moment: In his first scene, he is overseeing Katsu's rite of passage as a Genma and after he emerged victorius, the King has him arbitrarily executed for seemingly no good reason and when his servant Nuu questions him over this, the King turns him into a wolf-like creature. This paints him as a ruthless and cruel being, and it gets much worse from there...
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Subverted. While he may have cared for Loof in the time he lived in the castle and it he developed romantic feelings for Non, he isn't above mistreating them or made any less of a bastard.
- Evil Overlord: He rules the post-apocalyptic world the series takes place in.
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: He reduced the world to its current state of constant warfare and devastation by fathering countless genma-human hybrids, solely for his own entertainment. but it was actually on the Great Genma's orders.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Like you wouldn't believe.
- Killed Off for Real: He is stabbed in the back by Parome and succumbs to his wounds, but not before killing her himself.
- Large and in Charge: His true size may vary, but one thing for certain, he absolutely towers everyone else in the cast.
- Mars Needs Women: He prefers laying with his human concubines than with his own demonic lady wife.
- Orcus on His Throne: The King doesn't really do much at all, not even to antagonize the protagonists directly.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He is a cruel, tyrannical and totalitarian ruler, but is particularly reviled (specially by his wife Parome) for ravishing young virgins in a attempt to sire heirs.
- Serial Rapist: We can really tell how many women and girls he raped over the years, but Non was certainly not the first.
- Tin Tyrant: Its only seen in the final battle, but he wears red armor beneath his cape.
- Your Cheating Heart: He is unapologetic unfaithful to Parome.
ParomeThe Maoh King's wife and Queen.
- Abusive Parents: She used her demonic powers to hurt Loof when he was just 5 years old.
- Arch-Enemy: To Loof.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Not that the good guys weren't trying, but she was the only one powerful enough to destroy the Maoh King and even she died in the process.
- Bald Women: Her hair is completely clean-shaven.
- Bald of Evil: It goes without saying.
- Even Evil Has Standards: A disgusted Parome chews out Maoh King for indiscriminately raping and impregnating human girls.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Given she is the demonic female ruler who oppresses her mortal subjects all the time, she isn't going to be anything but this trope.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Not as bad as the Maoh King, but she is up there. Specially where Loof and his father's unfaithfulness are concerned.
- The Heavy: Parome is the one constantly being a thorn on Loof and Gin's side and behind most of the enemies sent to dispose them.
- Looks Like Orlok: An female example, even though she isn't a vampire, she has pale skin, bald hear, pointed ears and sharp fangs.
- Killed Off for Real: She is apparently vaporized by Dar, but quickly returns to back stab the Maoh King, who runs her with his sword.
- Mutual Kill: Parome and the Maoh King kill each other at the end.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: She ordered Non's death after overhearing that the Maoh King would like to see her again, fearing that he might marry her and replace Parome.
- Would Hurt a Child: Just like every other villain in the show, most notably abusing Loof when he is only a kid.
- Wicked Stepmother: To Loof.
- Woman Scorned: She reviles her husband for being unfaithful.
EarieA red-eye shaped demon that serves Parome as her spy and messenger.
- Anti-Villain: Earie could barely qualify as "evil" since she doesn't abuse humans or commits any vile deeds, she merely serves Parome.
- Butt-Monkey: Earie exists as a punching bag for Parome to vent her frustration at every turn.
- Kill It with Fire: She is burned alive by Ran/Dar.
- Oculothorax: Her body consists of a eyeball and a pair of ears to fly.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Earie's job is to observe things for Parome... And that is the extant of her villainy.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. She is a red eyeball and a Genma, but she isn't evil.
- Decoy Protagonist: He appears in the opening scene under going a rite of passage to join the Genma. We are lead to believe he is the main protagonist, but he gets promptly killed by the Maoh King.
- Sacrificial Lamb: In essence, Katsu exists only to showcase the Maoh King's brutality.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Katsu had worked very hard to join the Genma and actually managed to win his final test. Then his father callously kills him, rendering his life's long struggle pointless. And to pour more salt in the wound, Katsu was just one more of Maoh's countless offsprings that were raised and killed after failing to live expectations.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He lasts a total of 2 minutes.
NuuA Genma who served as mentor to Katsu, the previous heir of the Maoh King. He was transformed into a wolf-like creature and ordered to find another find another woman who could give birth to new heirs. Nuu selected Non and afterwards, was ordered to look after her and her child.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Its implied that Nuu did fell in romantic love with Non and the way he remembers her after her death is akin to The Lost Lenore.
- Baleful Polymorph: He was turned into a wolf by the Maoh King for questioning his motives.
- Everyone Has Standards: He is horrified that the Maoh King killed his own son Katsu (who was Nuu's protege), as well as the many atrocities commited by his kinsmen.
- HeelFace Turn: Nuu starts rebelling against the Maoh King after falling for Non.
- Heroic Dog / Noble Wolf: Its not clear what kind of canine he is, but he is definitely noble.
- Horse of a Different Color: Nuu serves as a mount for Non in "Offspring of Genma" and for Gin in "Loof and Gin".
- Parental Substitute: Nuu was as the father figure that Gin never had.
- Noble Demon: Literally, as he was one of the Genma and he wasn't as cruel as his kin - he was actually punished for it.
- Token Heroic Orc: Nuu is the only pure-blooded Genma (not an human hybrid) who could qualify as a decent person.
BuugaraA member of Genma nobility encountered by Loof in Episode 7. He has no lost love for the Maoh King and despite Loof being a wanted fugitive, he offers sanctuary to the Genma prince.
- Beard of Evil: He is another bearded Genma.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: He ends up stabbed with his own sword.
- Kingmaker Scenario: He offers to help Loof into dethrone his father, the Maoh King and install him as the new king.
- Would Hurt a Child: He tries to push Loof to eat human kids, but he disagrees violently.
DarThe son of Dan and Ran, he is an extremely powerful Genma baby. For more details after the reveal, check the spoiler character page.
- Fetus Terrible: Before he is even born, he drives his mother Ran to try to kill Gin.
- Goo Goo Godlike: A dark variation. He is a demonic baby that manipulates his mother to kill people around her and is imbued with terrible force powers.
- The Grotesque: Despite both his parents being human, Dar has green-skin and orange eyes that marks him as a Genma.
Dar / Great Genma King
Played By: Kinryū ArimotoThe Great Genma King, the all-powerful leader of the Genma Tribe. Many centuries ago, he and his kind conquered Earth and moved on for another worlds, leaving the Maoh King in charge of the planet. He incarnated inside Ran's body as her son Dar and manipulated events to send the heroes back in time to start things all over again.
- Always a Bigger Fish: The Maoh King is the uncontested ruler of Earth. The Dai Genma outranks him.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Played with. He succeeds in his plan to destroy the world in the modern times, ensuring that the timeline Loof and Gin came from and tried to erase still existed. However, he fails to get either twin to kill the other one, create a new Maoh King and start a whole new timeline. Finally, its not made clear what happened with him at the end, as he is last seen sending the heroes back to their timeline, so his ultimate demise isn't guaranteed.
- Big Bad: He is the ultimate villain in the series, as he is responsible for the setting's current state, his influence and power overshadows the Maoh King and Parome combined and he drove the Maoh King to father as many hybrids as possible to create superior demon breeds, eventually leading to Loof and Gin's creation.
- The Dreaded: According to Loof, even the Maoh King feared the Great Genma. That should tell you why how bad he is.
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: He basically wanted to create stronger kinds of Genma, so he engineered the downfall of society, the systematic rape of countless girls, endless conflicts and billions of deaths over the ages so new Genma-hybrids could be produced.
- Evil Sounds Deep: His voice is absolutely booming.
- Galactic Conqueror: According to the Maoh King, the Great Genma King and his people have apparently conquered other worlds in the past and left the Maoh King to watch over Earth while they moved on for another planets.
- Greater-Scope Villain: He lead the Genma conquest of Earth and left the Maoh King in charge of this world before moving for another ones. He doesn't interfere in the plot up until Episode 9. Before his appearance, he was briefly mentioned by Parome as a mysterious entity that the Genma worship and she prays seeking help in curbing her husband's madness.
- Playing with Fire: He manifests great control over fire and heat.
- Obviously Evil: Dar looks like a green alien baby, has a extremely deep voice and a sinister disposition. It wouldn't surprise anyone he is actually evil, but the Big Bad too.
- Tin Tyrant: He manifest himself in a massive suit of iron. Subverted in that its in reality an illusion, while his real form is the small green baby.
- Uncertain Doom: In the show's climax, he tries to set the brothers against each other to create a new Maoh King out of the victor. When they figure out what he wants, he attempts to destroy them for the last time, but they end up being sent back to their time. Its not clear what ultimately became of him, since his apparent death is not seen onscreen and his survival is also unlikely as he never appeared to bother the protagonists again. He was last seen still trapped in the past and given he was weakened during the final battle, he likely didn't survive very long in the nuclear wasteland.
- Walking Spoiler: So much its impossible to talk about him without spoiling anything about him.