Tropes related to the characters of Bad Apple Wars. Beware of unmarked spoilers!
- All bios and quotes are from the official website.
The Protagonist / Rinka
- "Why is it that I always feel like I'm empty inside?"
The protagonist of the game. A girl who feels empty inside and has nothing she hopes to do with her life, she blends in with everyone else. Despite feeling inferior to those around her thanks to this sense of emptiness, she hasn't quite been able to change herself.
- Apologises a Lot: She gets called out for it by Higa. Rinka does gets better in every route as she gains confidence through the routes.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers one to Higa when he was hit by the ruler of despair.
- Blank Slate: The core to her character. She truly has nothing—no skills nor weaknesses, no good memories nor bad memories, no likes nor dislikes. Significant in most character routes because it allows her to read their past memories easier. Particularly significant in the White Mask's route because her blank slate life means she has never experienced despair, causing her to have an enviable "white aura."
- Character Development: Always undergoes a ton of it during every route.
- Crash-Into Hello: With Higa.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the White Mask's NEVAEH ending, she pushes him aside and sacrifices her soul in his place.
- Identity Amnesia: In Alma's route, she decides to pretend to be his past beloved and remain with him forever at NEVAEH Academy. She fulfills the role wonderfully due to being a Blank Slate.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Her main desire, since she admits to having nothing to her character. She just wants something special to be invested in—something only she can do.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: On the Good Apple's routes, she accidentally helps the Bad Apples despite her position as a Prefect.
- Reincarnation Romance: In certain routes:in Alma's, she's the reincarnation of his Lost Lenore; in Higa and Shikishima's routes she romances their reincarnations in their good endings.
- Second Love: In Alma's route.
- Tap on the Head: Knocked out by a ball in Higa's route.
- The Voiceless: As the protagonist, she has no voice actor.
- You Are Number 6: In the Good Apple route, she's assigned the label "Number Two" in the prefects.
- "I will go wherever. I follow my heart, the breeze, my feet..."
Shikishima calls himself an odd apple, not a good apple, and aligned with neither the Bad Apples nor the Prefects. He spends his time painting quietly on his own, and appears without warning in unexpected places. It isn't just his position in the school that's odd, his behavior is quite strange as well. His Soul Totem takes the form of various art supplies, including his sketchbook.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Was isolated as a child for being strange. This leads to him isolating himself.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: Scarf, in this case. Rinka does this twice in his route.
- Color Motif: Yellow. Yellow hair, yellow eyes, yellow clothes, yellow sunflowers.
- Heroic BSoD: Has a severe one after Sanzu expresses her love through a song, which he previously thought was impossible. He becomes obsessed with expressing his love through his art.
- Incurable Cough of Death: How he died, just as his uncle died.
- Out of Focus: Compared to the other love interests in the game. He barely shows up in the Bad Apples' route and he's borderline non-existant in the Good Apples'. For a meta example, Shikishima has eight chapters, whereas everyone else has the standard nine.
- Photographic Memory: Mentioned and demonstrated once.
- Reincarnation Romance: Implied. Though Shikishima passes away in his own time, he has a distant relative in the modern day who looks and acts like him who falls for Rinka.
- Signature Scent: Rinka says he smells like a calming mixture of "paints and sunny fields."
- Stepford Smiler: The main character recognizes this in his route.
- "Do you want to live? If you do... fight the school."
A young, red-haired man who acts as the leader of the Bad Apples. He's got a great poker face, making it hard to tell what he's thinking. Being a person of few words, he can sometimes come across as scary, but the Bad Apples truly believe in him thanks to his strong will and charisma. His Soul Totem is a red thread.
- The Atoner: Wants to atone for breaking his promise to be with her beloved when she dies.
- Clark Kent Outfit: You might not notice at first glance, but Alma has a six-pack.
- Color Motif: Red.
- The Comically Serious: Tells jokes while never breaking his deadpan nature.
- Driven to Suicide: Out of fear of forgetting his beloved, he kills himself to try to die with those memories.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted in that he may be a redhead, but he's of the rare, stoic nature.
- Former Teen Rebel: Apparently a delinquent in his former life.
- The Gadfly: Likes teasing his past beloved and Rinka with a straight face.
- Given Name Reveal: Alma Fudoh is his full name.
- The Leader: To the Bad Apples.
- Meaningful Echo: "Good night."
- Pinky Swear: Makes one with Rinka.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Despite their color schemes, the Blue to Higa's Red.
- Red String of Fate: His Soul Totem that he used to play Cat's Cradle with his beloved in the past is an allusion to this. Said beloved mentioned that a red string of fate ties together two people who made a promise before they were born and it will ensure that the two will meet again in life, no matter how far apart. Later, Rinka decides to literally interpret his red thread as the red string and wrap it around all the Bad Apple's pinkies so they would be reunited in life. It turns out the two have been bound by a red string of fate since before their deaths, as Rinka is a reincarnation of his beloved.
- Sitting on the Roof: Or sleeping on the roof, in Alma's case. The roof ends up being a significant location in his route for him. It is where he meets the protagonist, where he committed suicide, and where Rinka visits him in the ending.
- The Stoic
- Weapon of Choice: His red thread, which turns into a knife. Incredibly significant in his ending, when he wields a scalpel and suture thread reminiscent of his Soul Totem forms to save Rinka's life.
- When He Smiles: Both Rinka and Higa react by blushing to his smile with shock.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Red. Actually significant in that he had to dye his hair black at one point to follow the rules and take an exam. Justified in his past life, he chose to dye his hair red because his beloved's favorite color is red and he wanted her to notice him.
- "Ain't got no choice, not if he's the one asking me... I'll protect you."
A tall young man in a white biker jacket and a member of the Bad Apples. He worships Alma as if he were his own brother. Acts like an old-school punk, though supposedly he has only acted this way since he came to NEVAEH Academy, and in fact used to be quite different, though he has always had a rather harsh look about him. His Soul Totem is a white ball.
- Adorkable: Very much so on his route.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Receives one from Rinka to snap him out of despair. He asks her for another one when he's in a slump, but she only lightly taps his face.
- Badass Baritone
- Batter Up!: His weapon is a bat, after all.
- The Champion: To Alma. And how.
- Crash-Into Hello: With Rinka in their first meeting. And their second meeting. And their first meeting in their second life.
- Declaration of Protection: At the beginning of his route, subverted in that it's at the behest of Alma. Also in his bad ending, though his motivations are quite selfish.
- Go Out with a Smile: In his route.
- Happily Adopted: His only unhappiness was that he felt as though he couldn't pay them back for the happiness.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Twice. Slightly when Rinka and him inhale the same despair-inducing gas, he gives her the antidote. You later find out that he died saving a child from a car.
- Missing Mom: The backstory that led him to becoming Happily Adopted.
- Perpetual Frowner: A self-admitted one, at that.
- Real Men Hate Sugar: Just about says this word for word.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Despite their color schemes, the Red to Alma's Blue.
- Reincarnation Romance: In his good ending, he reincarnates as his brother's son and meets Rinka in the modern day.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Although he's all delinquent-like now, he used to be a fairly normal, though gruff, guy in the past.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Naraka.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Look at him.
- Weapon of Choice: Doubles with Batter Up!. He fights with his white ball which can turn into other baseball gear, including a mitt and a bat, and can explode.
- "Don't sweat the little things! Cute makes right, after all."
Wears a gothic Lolita dress and a member of the Bad Apples. Naraka is good at sewing and designed nearly all of the Bad Apples' clothes. Naraka's Soul Totem is a sewing kit.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Very much so, considering the crossdressing and his ability to sew.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Higa.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: While his clothes appear feminine, Naraka is a guy who just really enjoys making cute clothing. Particularly wholesome when you realize it was the Bad Apples that helped him feel comfortable expressing himself.
- "I am called Enishi. I am a samurai."
A young man wearing a fencing uniform and one of the Bad Apples. He thinks of himself as a samurai despite only being a member of his old high school's fencing club. His Soul Totem is a bamboo sword.
- "You... what kind of tea you want?"
An aloof girl and a member of the Bad Apples. She is quite good at mixing up unique blends of tea and often serves it to the other Bad Apples. Her Soul Totem is a pair of headphones.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Heroic Sacrifice: She attempted to save shield Yoh with her body during the accident. However, it wasn't enough to save either of them.
- Just Friends: Toyed at with Yoh. Though she states they're not together, there is a lot of Unresolved Sexual Tension. She also graduates through the hidden secret method of professing love.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Yoh. Her graduation causes him to give up and become a Good Apple so he can forget living without her.
- Sacrificial Lamb: No matter the route, Sanzu always graduates after giving her final concert through the hidden second method.
- "Well, whatevs. At this rate, she'll be a Bad Apple whether she plans to be or not!"
A member of the Bad Apples with an air of modernity. He's a light-hearted guy who always jokes around. He and Sanzu seems to be inseparable and have been attending the same school together since they were in junior high. His Soul Totem is a guitar, but he doesn't seem to have used it much recently.
- Affectionate Nickname: Calls Sanzu "Sunny"/"San-chan."
- Just Friends: Toyed at with Sanzu. Though not together, there is a lot of Unresolved Sexual Tension between them.
- My Greatest Failure: He holds himself responsible for his and Sanzu's deaths because he wished the bus would never arrive at the concert and because she attempted to shield him during the accident.
- "Silence. Keep quiet... I'll forget all this vocab..."
A young man who was admitted to NEVAEH Academy at the same time as the protagonist. He is on the verge of a nervous breakdown due to his excessive study habits. Since the moment he came to the school, he has been studying furiously without giving much thought to the school itself or what happened to himself. His Soul Totem takes the form of a variety of study tools, including a special reference book.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Rinka finds him asleep in one of the classrooms after studying immensely for the Vexam.
- Berserk Button: Don't interfere with his studying and most definitely do not bring up any variation of the phrase "dropping out" around him.
- Bookworm: Cannot put his reference book down. Subverted in that he actually hates studying.
- Character Development: Goes from an anti-social, irritable young man to a brave, caring individual.
- Coat Cape
- Cool-Kid-and-Loser Friendship: In his route, he seems to be on good terms with Alma and the other Bad Apples after accidently winning the Reaper game for them or in other words, breaking one of the seven rules.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Very understated, but the purple under his eyes are meant to be eye bags.
- Expy: Kanato from Diabolik Lovers, another otome game. They're the shortest out of the possible love interests, they both love sweets, they're both associated with the color purple, and they're the most abrassive towards the main heroine at the beginning of their route.
- First Girl Wins: If you pursue his route. Not only is he the first of Rinka's love interests you meet at NEVAEH, but he's also the first out of the main cast.
- Freudian Excuse: Has incredible mommy issues after his father's death. He just wants to make her happy.
- Given Name Reveal: Kuragari Satoru.
- Literal-Minded: Often responds to questions too literally.
- Overworked Sleep: Falls into one after his endless studying. This is also how he died.
- Sweet Tooth: He won't drink black coffee by itself because it's too bitter so he adds milk so it can be easier to drink. He also really likes cookies.
- Tap on the Head: Invoked by Satoru, who always bats away any hands getting to close to his head out of fear it will knock the knowledge out of him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Despite being a bookworm and one of the non-combative characters, he doesn't hesitate to jump in to defend Rinka when White Mask tries to hit her with his ruler sword.
WARNING: Due to the majority of his character not being explored until his route, the White Mask's spoilers are unmarked. Please only view it if you are comfortable with spoilers or have finished playing his route.
- "All of you ugly, warped souls. You must be corrected immediately."
A white-haired young man who serves as Prefect. Like the rest of the Prefects, he hides his face beneath a mask and wears their special uniform. His way of speaking makes one think of a soulless doll or a robot and betrays zero emotion. He stands in the way of the Bad Apples, making use of the Prefects' special ruler-type weapon provided by teachers.
- The Atoner: In his NEVAEH ending, after Rinka saves him from having his soul shattered. He decides that he wants to atone for this by remaining in NEVAEH forever.
- Born Unlucky: See his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Dark and Troubled Past: And how. Anyone that he feels for even a little bit dies. His mother died giving birth to him. His father died saving him from their burning house. The one classmate that he felt close to dies. His exceedingly kind grandpa dies in a tragic accident. His kind teacher who protected him from a stalker dies. The stalker that loved him dies. Even the protagonist, who he was touched by briefly at the intersection, dies because of him.
- Despair Event Horizon: See Dark and Troubled Past.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Ice King, in this case. Though the moment the ice cracks is quite ugly.
- Diving Save: Receives one from Rinka in his NEVAEH Ending.
- The Dreaded: Whenever he appears, he tends to draw Oh, Crap! reactions from other characters.
- Eating Lunch Alone: Voluntarily in the past, so that he would never get close to anyone.
- Freak Out!: Has one right in Chapter 5, when Rinka presents him his mother's prayer beads (his Soul Totem), stirring feelings of hope that he had attempted to suppress.
- Given Name Reveal: Shou Watase. Oddly enough, it's Iku Watase in Japanese, making it averted as the kanji for Shou can also be used for the name Iku. It was simply a case of a literal translation.
- The Grim Reaper: His nickname when he was alive due to the curse that follows him, leading to the death of anyone that he likes even the slightest bit.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Beneath his wish of dying, this is his true wish. He just wants the right to love and be loved in a world that won't allow.
- Psychological Projection: Rinka helped him realize that he was only punishing the Bad Apples so severely for their hope because he was projecting himself on them.
- The Scream: Let's one out, followed by his falling apart in Chapter 5. He also lets out some notable screams in his NEVAEH ending.
- Wall Pin of Love: Pins Rinka in one of his events.
- Wham Line: Receives one from Rinka.Rinka: HE'S NOT YOU!
- White Hair, Black Heart: Considering how he is the primary antagonist in most of the routes.
- "All of you ugly, warped souls. You must be corrected immediately."
The first person the protagonist meets upon arriving at NEVAEH Academy. He wears a rabbit head and white suit. He is hyperactive and always seems to be in good spirits.
Mr. Gas Mask
- "Geheh... Shall we see just how ready you really are?"
One of the teachers at NEVAEH Academy. He wears a gas mask and a white lab coat and locks himself away in the school's laboratory to conduct suspicious experiments. He isn't seen much in the other parts of the school and is a self-proclaimed "garden-variety sadist."
- The Dreaded: Though there's a rule against entering the science lab that can be broken, Alma forbids anyone from trying to break it because of Mr. Gas Mask.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Not only is he the antagonist of Watase's route but he's also responsible for the weapons that the Prefects use.
- Mad Scientist: Though he teaches science, he's more focused on his lab and experiments.
- Villainous Breakdown: He does not take the destruction of his despair emission machine well.
Mr. Bucket Head
- "Whoa! No running in the halls! You almost plowed right into me!"
One of the teachers at NEVAEH Academy. Unlike the other teachers, he actively gets involved in student affairs with his bizarre behavior. He then watches events unfold, pretending to take a neutral position on them.
- Innocently Insensitive: He happily remarks about the outcome of Sanzu's concert and subsequent graduation, seemingly oblivious to the sadness of the main characters.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The closest the school has. Not only is he more affable and stable compared to his fellow teachers but he shows more affection towards the students.