It's Rooster Teeth, man. Of course RWBY will have lots of hilarious moments. List the examples in a chronological order, if possible.
open/close all folders
The trailers have been more awesome than funny, but there are still some moments:
- A dark bit of humor in the "Red" trailer: the moment when Ruby starts literally scything through all the Beowolves, there's a brief shot of the sky showing nothing but flying rose petals and severed arms.
- In the last trailer, Yellow, Yang introduces herself to Junior as "Sir". By making him a "Ma'am".
- When Yang offers to "kiss and make up", he falls for it, slowly leaning in to take her offered kiss... and then, quick as a flash, she sucker-punches him hard enough to send him flying about 30 feet, leaving him slumped against the wall with circling hearts until a loose bottle falls and clonks him on the head.
- Ruby gets held up in a Dust Shop, but doesn't realize it at first because she's listening to the opening song at full blast through headphones.
Grunt: I said, "Put your hands up in the air," now!
Ruby: Are you...robbing me?
Ruby: Ohhhh.... [smiles]
- Whereupon she punches him all the way across the shop. The second grunt runs up and points a gun at her. Camera immediately cuts outside... and Ruby and said grunt smash through the window, Ruby kung-fu kicking him in the head.
- Roman's incredulous reaction to Ruby doing that to his mook and then pulling out Crescent Rose.
Roman: (stares in disbelief) Okay... (glances at remaining mooks) Get her.
- The way he says the line is less of an order, and more reminding the mooks to stop gawking and get to their job.
- There's something utterly hilarious about the way Roman barely reacts when one of the Mobsters gets punched across the room. He just nods for another one to go deal with whatever the problem is. It's an everyday occurrence on Remnant, apparently. It isn't until Crescent Rose actually comes out that he actually seems vaguely perturbed.
- After watching one of his Mooks get Curb Stomped:
- When Ruby meets Glynda and realizes her hero is a huntress, her response:
Ruby: Can I have your autograph?
- The Smash Cut to Glynda lecturing her afterwards is also fairly amusing.
Glynda: If it were up to me, I would send you home... with a pat on the back...
Ruby: [Looks happy]
Glynda: ...and a slap on the wrist. [Slaps her crop right next to Ruby's hands]
Ruby: (EEEP! noise)
Ruby: They started it!
- Ruby eats cookies in the funniest way possible. The eating animation is minimal to the point that the cookies just disappear◊ when they are near her mouth. It's played for laughs.
- Ruby telling Ozpin that she was taught to use Crescent Rose by her uncle, doing so by saying with cookies in her mouth "Oh, that's my uncle" in what sounds like an Asian-sounding accent ('justified' by her mouthful of cookies) similar to the "Oh, that's my uncle!" gag in the Rooster Teeth Podcast.
- Ruby's describing her fighting style with Kung-fu noises, which combined with her Motor Mouth mode is simply adorable.
- Glynda's reaction when she and Ozpin glance at each other and she suddenly realizes he's already decided to accept Ruby into the academy. It's such a "you're a sap" reaction. His smiling and looking at her meant he wants her approval; he's still giving her veto power. Her closing her eyes and looking away meant that she still didn't think it was a good idea, but that she would trust his judgment.
- The way Ruby explains her desire to just be normal is worth a laugh:
Ruby: I don't want to be the bee's knees, I don't want to be any kind of knees! I just want to be a normal girl with normal knees.
- The new students listen to a hologram recording of Glynda:
Yang: Who's that?
Glynda: My name is Glynda Goodwitch.
- On the ship to the Beacon school, Ruby and Yang deal with a vomiting boy.
Ruby: Yang, gross! You've got puke on your shoe!
Yang: Gross, gross, gross, gross, gross!
Ruby: Get away from me, get away from me, get away from me, get away from me!
- On the DVD, one of the special features was this episode playing with the storyboards displayed in the corner. During the fight sequences, the 'storyboard' simply said "Monty Action!!!"
The Shining Beacon
- How did the episode start? Vomit Boy...vomiting.
- The fact that all unnamed extras just look like black silhouettes, even when the main characters are touching them.
- Ruby Rose. Super-Deformed, floating and being a Fangirl about weapons.
- Ruby says she doesn't need friends because she has Yang, except Yang's friends arrive right then and she quickly tells Ruby they are going to hang out. They run away, leaving Ruby in the dust, as well as so dizzy she falls over onto Weiss's luggage.
Ruby: [dizzily mumbles] I don't know what I'm doing... [plop]
Weiss: What are you doing!?
- Then, in response to Weiss's over-dramatic 'dust is precious' rant (which threw up a lot of Dust into the air around them), she has an explosive Dust-powered fire sneeze. Weiss is not amused.
- Ruby and Jaune calling each other by their embarrassing nicknames in the courtyard: Vomit Boy and Crater Face. Let's see if both sticks on.
- Ruby demonstrates Crescent Rose to Jaune:
Jaune: Whoa! Is that a scythe?
Ruby: It's also a customizable high impact sniper rifle.
Ruby: [cocks weapon] It's also a gun.
- Jaune shows off his shield's ability to fold up and make carrying it convenient... until Ruby points out that it would still weigh the same. He sheepishly admits that it does.
- Before that we have Jaune vs his collapsible shield. Winner: the shield.
- Ruby reveals that she designed her own weapon. Consider that fact that she's a 15 year old girl and suddenly this explains a lot.
- The episode ends with both Ruby and Jaune getting lost and with nobody to turn to for directions. (Note that at the beginning there were still random passerbys in the background but they eventually disappeared.)
- When Ruby abandons Jaune to sit with her sister, he's not pleased.
Jaune: Great, where I am supposed to find another nice, quirky girl to talk to? [camera pans away to reveal Pyrrha standing behind Jaune, looking at him.]
- What really sells this is his "Oh COME ON!" tone of voice.
- Weiss's Right Behind Me reappearance as Ruby is relating their previous encounter.
Ruby: I tripped over some crabby girl's luggage and then she yelled at me and then I sneezed and then I exploded and then she yelled again and then I felt really, really bad and I just wanted her to stop yelling at me.
Ruby: [leaps into Yang's arms] OH GOD, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!
Weiss: You're lucky we weren't blown off the side of the cliff!
Yang: Oh my God, you really exploded...
- Weiss handing Ruby a pamphlet titled "Dust for Dummies and Other Inadequate Individuals" and talking about it so fast that Ruby can't understand her.
Weiss: The Schnee Dust Company is not responsible for [getting faster and higher pitched with each word] any injuries or damages sustained while operating a Schnee Dust Company product. [gets even faster and higher pitched with each word] Although not mandatory, the Schnee family highly encourages their customers to read and familiarize themselves with this easy-to-follow guide to Dust application and practice in the field.
- The pamphlet itself for its faux politically correct yet still condescending title of "Dust for Dummies (picture) and other Inadequate Individuals."
- In a way, some of Weiss's lines are said with such blunt seriousness that it's hilarious:
Weiss: [still holding the 'Dust for Dummies' pamphlet] You really wanna start making things up to me?
Weiss: Read this and don't ever speak to me again.
- After Weiss and Ruby meet up again, Yang encourages them to start over. It goes as well as you'd expect.
Ruby: Hello, Weiss! I'm Ruby! Wanna hang out? We could go shopping for school supplies!
Weiss: (Mockingly) Yeah! And we can paint our nails, and try on clothes, and talk about cute boys, like Tall, Blond, and... Scraggly over there! [points at Jaune]
Ruby: Oh, wow, really!?
Weiss: [Death Glare] (pause) No.
Jaune: You know, I'm a natural blond.
- Afterwards, Jaune tries to hit on Weiss and fails miserably.
- Ruby points out that their father probably wouldn't approve of them sleeping in the same room with a bunch of boys. Yang looks the boys over and says she approves and purrs (though maybe not of Jaune's...).
Yang: [leaps onto floor matress] It's like a big slumber party!
Ruby: I don't think Dad would approve of all the boys though.
Yang: I know I do! [purrs and watches the boys in the room until she spots Jaune]
Jaune: [humming to himself until he spots Yang] Hmmm!
- Jaune's footy pajamas. With matching bunny slippers.
- Ruby's response to Yang's playful sibling teasing? Throwing a pillow at her face. Twice. Even better, the second one is a corgi pillow.
- Yang dragging Ruby over to Blake with a ":D" expression and going "Helloooo~!"
- Ruby almost introducing herself to Blake as Crater Face before she catches herself.
Yang: What are you doing?
Ruby: I don't know, help me!
- Blake's "okay" afterwards has a hint of barely restrained amusement to it.
- Blake attempts to get Ruby and Yang to leave her be, only for it to fly over their heads.
Yang: Nice night don't you think?
Blake: Yes, it's lovely. Almost as lovely as this book.
Ruby and Yang: [awkward silence]
Blake: Which I will continue to read.
Ruby and Yang: [more awkward silence]
Blake: As soon as you leave.
- Ruby and Yang arguing and getting into a Big Ball of Violence. With cat noises.
- And Blake is completely unfazed by this fight two feet away from her.
- Weiss barging into the middle of Yang and Ruby's tussle.
Weiss: What in the world is going on over here?! Don't you realize some of us are trying to sleep?! [notices Ruby]
Weiss and Yang: OH, NOT YOU AGAIN!
- Weiss seems to be convinced Ruby's some kind of deviant.
Yang: What's your problem with my sister? She's only trying to be nice!
Weiss: She's a hazard to my health!
- Then Blake, who's been interrupted a lot trying to read her book, sees where this is going and puts her book down. Then she takes her lit candelabra, and blows it out (which also blows out the episode itself.)
- Weiss seems to be convinced Ruby's some kind of deviant.
The First Step
- Nora waking Ren up, and him going through his morning routine without even the slightest reaction.
Ren: Nora, I don't think sloths make a lot of noise.
- Nora slurping a slice of pancake.
- At one point, it cuts from them eating breakfast to them in the locker room with the conversation getting continuing from where it left off, suggesting that she might've just gotten back from a massive tangent.
- Ren's single comment in all of this:
- Ruby cuddling Crescent Rose again, and referring to it as her 'sweetheart'.
- Yang again encourages Ruby to make friends. Ruby is not convinced.
Ruby: I don't need friends to help me grow up! I. Drink. Milk.
- Doubles as Comically Missing the Point.
- Jaune can't find his assigned locker.
- Made even funnier when you realize that he's wearing his weapon.
- Weiss' Inner Monologue as she plots to pair up with Pyrrha, complete with Dramatic Thunder for a background. Helped tremendously by her devious grin◊; the kind that makes you laugh and go 'Oh dear god' at the same time.
Weiss (thinking): This will be perfect. The smartest girl in class, combined with the strongest girl in class! Together, we will be unstoppable! I can see it now; we'll be popular, we'll be celebrities, we'll get perfect grades! Nothing could come between us now!"
- Everything about Jaune hitting on Weiss and Pyrrha. Especially the fact that he fails to recognize Pyrrha.
Weiss: [referring to Pyrrha] Jaune, do you have any idea who you are talking to?
Jaune: Not in the slightest, Snow Angel.
Weiss: This is Pyrrha.
Pyrrha: Hello again!
Weiss: Pyrrha graduated top of her class at Sanctum!
Jaune: Never heard of it.
Weiss: She's won the Mistral Region Tournaments four years in a row! A new record!
Jaune: The what?
- Pyrrha is a temporary cereal mascot.
Weiss: [waving her arms rapidly in anger] She's on the front of every Pumpkin Pete's Marshmallow Flakes box!
Jaune: [gasps] That's you!? But they only do that for star athletes and cartoon characters!
Pyrrha: [with cereal box background] Yeah, it was pretty cool... sadly, the cereal isn't very good for you.
- The way Weiss says it out loud while waving her arms up and down is simply hilarious. That and the cereal box background falling to pieces afterwards.
- The arm motions might be construed as a Stealth Visual Pun, given how Jaune referred to her as "Snow Angel."
- The conclusion with him being pinned to a wall by the latter's spear.
Jaune: My dad said all women look for is confidence! Where did I go wrong...?
Yang: "Snow Angel" probably wasn't the best start.
- Pyrrha is a temporary cereal mascot.
- Ruby adorable whimpering at the explanation of team assignment, with a low-key Big "WHAT?!" upon learning that the first person you make eye contact with is your permanent, curriculum-long partner. It helps that her world looks like it shattered, literally.
- Before this Ozpin warns the students to choose their partners wisely since they will be with them for the rest of their life at school, before basically telling them they have no real control over who their partner is. Later it's revealed they have no control over who their teammates are either, since its based off pairs that grab the same chess piece, something nobody was told about.
- Ozpin warns the students to watch themselves and fight all out in the forest or else they will die. While Jaune gets terrified, the others are completely unaffected, Nora even shooting Ren a ":D" face.
- Beacon's opening test involves launching students off a cliff, trusting them to figure out how to land, and assessing their performance once they make it back to you through a deadly forest.
Ozpin: Any questions?
Jaune: Yeah, um... sir?
Ozpin: Good. Now, take your positions.
[all students save Jaune do so]
Jaune: Uhhhh, sir? I got a... um... a question... [Weiss is launched] So this... "landing strategy" thing... uh, what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something?
Ozpin: No. You will be falling.
[another student is launched]
Jaune: Oh... I... see... s-so, like, did you h-hand out parachutes for us...?
[Nora cheers as she is launched]
Ozpin: No. You will be using your own Landing Strategy.
Jaune: Uh-huh... that...
[Ruby and Yang are launched]
Jaune: So... what exactly is a landing strate— [launched] —gyyyyyy?!!!
[Ozpin turns to watch the students coast through the sky sipping his coffee and smiling]
- Yang putting on a pair of aviators before being catapulted.
- Just before Ruby is catapulted away she looks at Jaune and smirks as if she knows he's about to be cut off mid-sentence.
- All the students glide gracefully after being catapulted, except Jaune, who flops helplessly through the air.
- "Birdy, NO!"
- Lie Ren coming to smooth stop, casually dusting off his sleeves like it's normal to be flung into a forest.
- Yang's little "nailed it" after sticking her landing, plus the noises she makes as she's rustling through the trees off-screen.
- Jaune is again shown flopping helplessly through the air. Pyrrha saves him by spearing his hood to a tree, and he's unable to free himself.
Pyrrha: [lands on a tree branch, spots Jaune, throws her spear in his direction, and watches both sail off into the trees]
Jaune: [in the distance] Thank you!
Pyrrha: I'm sorry!
- The commentary reveals what Blake was doing, and why they didn't show it on screen: She simply landed on her feet. You know, Because she's a cat.
- The cute chibi animations of Ruby musing about her potential partner, particularly the bit with Jaune being attacked by wolves with little "rawr" sounds.
- Even funnier if you recognize the art-style as the one used in the Rooster Teeth animated adventures videos.
- Weiss and Ruby make eye contact with each other first, only for Weiss to walk away and try to find someone else. She sees Jaune hanging from a tree and immediately goes back to Ruby.
Ruby: Wait! Where are you going!? ...we're supposed to be teammates...
[Weiss makes her way through the brush and stumbles onto Jaune pinned to a tree and struggling with Pyrrha's spear]
Jaune: C'mon...stupid...[grunts as he pulls until he spots Weiss]
[Jaune chuckles nervously and waves]
[Weiss immediately walks back to Ruby]
Weiss: By no means does this make us friends.
[drags Ruby away by her hood]
Ruby: YOU CAME BACK!!!
- Ruby's enthusiastic arm motion loop in the following shot.
- And before that, Weiss stumbling through the forest undergrowth is worth a snicker; it's clearly the first time she's been required to do so.
- Weiss assumes Ruby will slow her down, and gets completely blindsided:
Weiss: I swear, if I get a bad grade because of your— [Ruby appears beside her in a burst of wind with pawing hand motions and open-mouthed Cat Smile] —What the!?
Ruby: I'm not slow, see? You don't have to worry about me!
Weiss: [still trying to process this] When did—?
Ruby: Weiss, just because I don't exactly know how to deal with people doesn't mean I don't know how to deal with monsters! [Puts an arm around Weiss] You're about to see a whole different side of me today, Weiss! And after it's all over, you're gonna be like, [gestures grandly] "Wow! That Ruby girl is really, really cool!" [Weiss rolls her eyes to imply 'as if'] "And I wanna be her friend!"
The Emerald Forest
- "Ruby, is that you? ...Nope!"
Yang: You guys wouldn't have happened to see a little girl in a red hood, would you?
- Atop of that, Yang having Casual Danger Dialog with the freaking Ursas attacking her!
Yang: You could've just said no!
- And before that, the way Yang drew out her calls: "Hellooo! Is anyone out there? Helloooo! I'm getting bored here!
- The exchanged Reaction Shot look when Yang reacts to the falling hair.
Yang: Hahaha! Jeez, you two couldn't hit the broad side of a ba—
[Yang's face goes blank as she watches a lone strand of hair fall to the ground]
Yang: You...[her eyes turn red as she blinks] YOU MONSTERS!!! [yells as she beats the tar out of the offending grimm]
- Ruby being a Deadpan Snarker.
Weiss: I could have killed you!
Ruby: You'll have to try better than that...
- After their arguement, Ruby makes a frustrated scream and cuts a tree down to vent her frustration.
- Pyrrha pushes a branch out of her way, and it snaps back into Jaune's face.
- Jaune having no idea what aura is. Pyrrha then gives a lengthy explanation on how it's a spiritual power that can protect one from harm and how it works. Jaune cuts the explanation short after understanding it and putting it in Layman's Terms:
"It's like a force field!"
- Nora's "sloth" call, and her revealing herself by hanging upside down.
- Jaune, trying to justify traveling through the cave on account of having lit a torch, asks Pyrrha to humor him for five more feet... immediately before tripping into a puddle that douses the torch. By the Lights of Their Eyes ensues.
- Their dialogue immediately afterwards is pretty funny, too.
Pyrrha: Do you feel that?
Jaune: Soul-crushing regret?
- Their dialogue immediately afterwards is pretty funny, too.
- Yang and Blake manage to find the ruined temple, and when it's time to choose one of the chess piece themed relics:
Yang: Hmm... [grabs a gold knight piece] How about a cute little pony?
Blake: [eye roll and amused smile] Sure.
- Jaune finds a "relic"!
- Yang and Blake mistaking Jaune's screams for a girl's. Ouch.
- Jaune explaining to Pyrrha, while screaming and wailing, being flung around on the stinger tail of a gigantic scorpion like a rag doll, that "this is not the relic!"
Players and Pieces
- The first three minutes in its entirety.
- Ruby and Weiss's Noodle Incident predicament with the Nevermore.
Weiss: Ruby! I told you this was a terrible idea!
Ruby: We're fine! Stop worrying!
Weiss: I am so far beyond worrying!
Ruby: ...in a good way?
Weiss: In a bad way! In a very bad way!
Ruby: Well, why don't we just jump?
Weiss: What are you, insane?
[cut to Ruby's panel, where she's absent]
Weiss: Oh, you insufferable little red-!
- Ruby is falling towards Blake and Yang, only to have Jaune crash into her in mid-air. In slow motion. After crashing, the circling wolves in the style of Ruby's imaginings from Episode 5. Bonus points for the wolves and the stars being shaken off at different times.
- Nora riding in on an Ursa, killing it, and then getting sad that's "it's broken."
- The fact that despite knowing Nora since childhood, Ren STILL can't keep up with her at times... such as her 'outline' disappearance.
- Nora getting the chess piece:
Nora: [ogling a chess rook] Ooooh! [takes it, breaking into mental song] I'm Queen of the Castle, I'm Queen of the Castle—
Ren: [from off-screen] NORA!
[Nora slips out of her Imagine Spot, looking sheepish]
Nora [salutes] Coming, Ren!
[Rook slides off her head (where it has been since mid-song) into her hand]
- Even better, Nora's little song invades the soundtrack for the episode.
- When RWBY and JNPR are starting to reunite at the temple, there's one long bit of characters calling out to each other.
- Blake Narrating the Obvious to the events happening around them early on. Then Yang explodes over this, specifically so it doesn't happen again within the next two seconds... then there is a clock timer for two seconds, after which Ruby notices something and says her name, making her slump.
- Ruby, Blake and Ren casually discussing Weiss hanging from a flying Nevermore's talon.
Weiss: [still hanging] How could you leave me?!
Ruby: I said, 'Jump.'
Blake: She's gonna fall.
Ruby: She'll be fine.
Ren: She's falling.
- Jaune does something heroic for the first time by jumping up and catching Weiss when she was falling out of the sky. Then he realizes he Didn't Think This Through and crashes, with Weiss landing on him, complete with her casually checking her nails.
Weiss: My hero.
Jaune: My back!
- Pyrrha and the Deathstalker running by in the background is inexplicably amusing. The distant rumbling that can be heard might have something to do with it. She stops running and joins the others via faceplant.
Yang: Great, the gang's all here! Now we can die together!
- Ruby and Weiss's Noodle Incident predicament with the Nevermore.
- Nora absolutely enjoying every moment of the episode, be it finding a chess piece or fighting a deadly battle. She's even randomly smiling and dance-fidgeting through the majority of the quiet moments.
- After having her little heart to heart with Weiss and finally getting just a little approval, Ruby sighs contentedly and calls back to the first episode. The sheer relief in her voice just makes the line:
Ruby: Ahh... Normal knees...
- Before that, Weiss's voice when she says; "And if you stop showing off, I'll be...nicer." There's just this undertone of, "Oh, I do not want to be doing this."
- Nora's Cheshire Cat Grin as she strikes her side of the broken bridge with her hammer in an Improvised Catapult to fling Jaune to the other side.
- Also, her mid-air giggle of joy while flying to deliver the coup de grâce to the Deathstalker. She is definitely a Cloud Cuckoolander and a badass, simultaneously.
- After Team JNPR defeats the Deathstalker, Lie Ren stumbles into the scene and faceplants unceremoniously into the ground. Extra points if you pay attention to the music lyrics, and even more points when you remember this is the character voiced by the series creator, a known workaholic who doesn't sleep nearly as often as he should.
I couldn't take it, couldn't stand another minute. [Cue Ren falling over.]
- For those of you who don't know the lyrics, the first line goes...
- Weiss preparing to launch Ruby.
- Yang's rather subdued response to the epic takedown of the Nevermore: "Well... that was a thing."
- Pyrrha gives Jaune a friendly punch to the shoulder and knocks him down. Which is quickly followed by her surprised expression, then sheepish grin at Ozpin.
- Ozpin's "This is going to be an interesting year" comment. His tone indicates he's just realised these kids are going to be exhausting to keep track of.
- Roman's map having notations of 'Cops' and 'Dumb Cops'.
The Badge and the Burden
- Ruby blowing her whistle in Weiss's ear. Twice.
- And the dialogue in-between:
Ruby: [blows her whistle in Weiss's ear, making her fall] Good Morning, Team RWBY!
Weiss: What in the world is wrong with you!?
Ruby: Now that you're awake, we can officially get started on our first order of business!
Weiss: [getting up] Excuse me?
Yang: [cheerfully] Decorating!
Blake: We still have to unpack.
[luggage falls out of suitcase]
Blake: ...And clean.
[Ruby blows her whistle in Weiss's ear, making her fall, again]
- And the dialogue in-between:
- If you look closely at the pile of stuff in Yang's arms, you see that she still has the "Dust for Dummies and Other Inadequate Individuals" pamphlet that Weiss handed Ruby in Episode 3, implying that she still hasn't read it.
- Ruby, Blake and Yang shouting "BANZAI" together.
- The weird grins on Yang and Blake's faces cinch it.
- Yang tapes a copy of the AH Crew Boy Band poster in the room.
- Blake putting away her books, finding a "Ninjas of Love" copy. She becomes embarrassed and tries to hide it.
- Ruby grinning after cutting her curtains with her scythe.
- Before that, she was trying to put up the curtains WITH CRESCENT ROSE. Talking about mundane utility for a Swiss Army Weapon.
- The girls discover there isn't enough room for both their stuff and four single beds.
Blake: [thumbs-up] [ding!]
- The girls have a vote on bunk-beds:
Yang: [throws up double horns] [ding!]
Weiss: [clenches her fists, keeps them to her sides, and sticks out her tongue] [buzz]
- How they make bunk-beds—one is supporting the other by a stack of books under each leg, the other is tied to the ceiling with rope and has a blanket as a privacy curtain, of sorts. As the next episode affirms, it's Ruby's bed.
- For a split second you can see Ruby and Yang reach their hands out as they run, incredibly eager to get to work. Sisters indeed.
- The power tool sounds as they do so, despite the simplistic final assembly lacking any elements that would need such tools.
- Ruby says class isn't until 9:00 AM, then Weiss points out it is 8:55 AM. Everybody freaks out and rushes to class.
- Team JNPR pulls out of their room to look...and falls into a pile when they realize whats going on.
- Glynda and Ozpin's cameo: they watch Teams RWBY and JNPR hurrying not to be late, completely unconcerned. Glynda merely checks her watch, and Ozpin sips his coffee, both without saying a word.
- Adding to the amusement is the Fridge Logic that they did all the organization in their room before 9:00 AM that morning. This included leisurely shelving of books, repairing the curtain, and relocating their beds no less than twice. Just how early did they get started?
- How Professor Port starts his lecture.
- The Actor Allusion as Ryan Haywood, known for trapping animals in Minecraft Let's Plays, being a professor of hunting is funny is its own self.
- He also makes a wink and tongue click toward Yang. She's rather put off.
- The random student who yells enthusiastically to Professor Port, only to slink back when everyone stares at him. Extra funny if you recognize the 'Eyyeea!' as another in-reference. The noise was often said by a member of a podcast Kerry is on.
- And whenever he trails off on a tangent, he literally starts saying "Blah Blah Blah..."
- Ruby drawing a childish doodle of the professor with stink lines. The little fart noise she makes sells it.
- Professor Poop. Weiss is not amused.
- Weiss getting more and more aggravated by Ruby's immaturity (This includes balancing her stationaries with one hand, dozing off, and picking her nose) as class drags on.
- Professor Port pronounces Weiss' last name "Sha-nee".
- Weiss insists she should have been the leader. Port bluntly replies "That's preposterous!"
Port: I see before me a girl who is used to getting exactly what she wants.
Weiss: That is not even remotely true!
[beat with quick Fascinating Eyebrow from Port]
Weiss: Well...it's not entirely true.
Port: With all due respect, your exceptional skill on the battlefield is matched only by your poor attitude.
- Just before this dialogue, there already is another Not Helping Your Case moment.
Weiss: HOW DARE YOU?!
Port: My point exactly.
- Ruby takes five sugars in her coffee. Five. This is funny by just how outrageously typical it is of her. And don't forget the cream.
- Blake waving the pennant with "RWBY" written on it.
- Just after Weiss and Ruby have a heartwarming moment, then this happens:
Weiss: ...Ruby, I think you have what it takes to be a good leader. Just know that I am going to be the best teammate you will ever have. Good luck studying. [goes to leave but stops to point at Ruby's paper] That's wrong by the way!
- And that she always wanted bunk beds ever since she was a kid.
- Weiss's weirdly aggressive statement that she'll be "The best teammate you will ever have." It's funny because, in hindsight, Weiss is still her old competitive self, she's just not trying to lead any more.
- While it was an example of Cardin's bullying, his getting Jaune stuck in the doorframe by causing his shield to unfold at the right moment...
- The various ways Cardin torments Jaune. The above example, along with Cardin shoving Jaune into his rocket propelled locker, and sending it to who knows where.
Jaune: I didn't land far from the school.
- Nora telling a rather embellished story about fighting dozens of (two) Ursae (they were Beowolves) in the middle of the night (it was day), with Ren deadpanly correcting said embellishments. Then he reveals that the whole thing is a recurring dream she's had for a while, it never actually happened.
Nora: There we were...in the middle of the night...
Ren: It was day.
Nora: We were surrounded by Ursae.
Ren: They were beowolves.
Nora: [shoots to her feet] DOZENS OF THEM!
Ren: Two of 'em.
Nora: But they were no match. And in the end Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of lien selling ursae skin rugs!
Ren: [sighs] She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now...
- The camera pans over everyone during the story. Pyrrha and Ruby are too concerned for the obviously downtrodden Jaune to care, neither Blake or Weiss are paying attention with Blake reading and Weiss working her nails with an emery board, and then there's Yang who's not only listening but appears to be completely engrossed in the story. Perhaps the funniest reaction of them all is Ren who looks completely bored and like he's had to correct the story for the millionth time.
- Possibly the strangest thing about this exchange is that Ren is having to correct Nora on her DREAMS, something he couldn't have first hand information of. Nora's such a ditz she can't even keep her stories straight, and Ren is so used to having to rein her in that he does it even when there's nothing to gain from doing so. It's such a clear demonstration of their relationship, and a somewhat worrying example of the extent of Nora's Cloud Cuckoolander personality. Again, she needs someone to correct her dreams.
- Immediately after Pyrrha assures Jaune that he can ask for help against Cardin's bullying, Nora contributes with a dead-serious(ly)-cheerful "Ooo! We'll break his legs!"◊, complete with Cheshire Cat Grin.
- Look at the plates everyone has at lunch. Weiss has an apple, Ruby's plate is full of cookies, and Jaune looks to have mash potatoes and what the commentary describes as beowolf shaped chicken nuggets.
- Professor Oobleck, good lord. Man must constantly be in Caffeine Bullet Time.
- Oobleck asks Jaune what advantage the faunus had during the war. He doesn't know and stalls, while Pyrrha mimes the answer. Jaune answers "binoculars". The correct answer was that faunus can see in the dark.
- Pyrrha's comment after yet another bullying incident from Cardin.
Pyrrha: You know, I really will break his legs.
- Pyrrha takes Jaune up to the rooftop to talk and he completely misreads it.
Jaune: [peering over the edge] Pyrrha, I know I'm going through a hard time right now, but I'm not THAT depressed. I could always be a farmer... or something.
Pyrrha: [looks down, confused; looks up; looks down; looks up again; with dawning comprehension and a frown looks down again... snaps up] NO!! [quickly pulls him away from the edge]
- Her mini-freak-out in response completes it.
- When we first see Nora, she is bouncing up and down on her bed as she talks to Ren and Pyrrha.
- Ruby's Get A Hold Of Yourself Man is, though heartwarming, also hilarious.
Jaune: I'm a failure.
Jaune: [looking at her in surprise] "Nope?"
Ruby: Nope! You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure.
Jaune: But... what if I'm a failure at being a leader?
Ruby: [thinks about it for a moment, then gives her answer] Nope!
Jaune: [laughs as she joins him on the floor] You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff.
- The class is instructed to gather sap from the trees.
Jaune: I think I'm allergic to this stuff...
- Jaune fills six jars with sap, then Face Faults. In the exact same pose as Ren no less (minus the hands).
- Right after Ren and Nora fill a jar with the sap, Nora eats it all. In around two seconds. And Ren's reaction is either astonished or utter disgust.
- The DVD had an extra scene right after Jaune threw the sap at Cardin: Pyrrha looks around, Ruby asks if she's okay. Pyrrha confirms, then looks at her jar of red sap. Apparently Nora REALLY loves the stuff, because in two seconds, the jar is wiped clean of sap.
- After all the crap Cardin and the rest of Team CRDL have pulled on Jaune and everyone else, seeing their collective look of horror and watching their tough guy act fall apart when the Ursa shows up is not only very funny, but very satisfying.
- Pyrrha explaining she has the 'semblance' of polarity.
Ruby: Woah, you can control poles.
Weiss: No you dunce, it means she has control over magnetism.
Ruby: Magnets are cool too.
- Made even funnier by the fact that magnetism does involve poles - magnetic poles.
- Ren made pancakes, but there is no syrup. "You can thank Nora for that."
- The way Pyrrha announced it. It's as if she is breaking into a song.
- Pyrrha, when Jaune asks for help in training, gets a rather heartwarming smile, which turns slightly mischievous◊ before she turns back and shoves him to the ground.
Pyrrha: Your stance is all wrong. You need to be wider and lower to the ground.
- Weiss says it is her duty to greet the arrivals from the other kingdoms, but Blake bursts her bubble by explaining that she really wants to scope out the competition.
- A policeman tells Sun to get down from the pole, and Sun responds by throwing a banana peel in his face.
- The fact that the police aren't simply voiced by Burnie and Joel, but that they are modeled after them can earn a few chuckles.
- Weiss: "Quick, we have to observe him!"
- The rest of RWBY trying to tell Ruby not to acknowledge friendship status with Penny.
- And then falling when she says yes anyway.
- Blake elbowing Yang when the latter started asking if Penny had hit her head instead of introducing herself like the rest of them.
- Weiss is again completely confused that the person she just dismissed as incompetent suddenly reappears in front of her out of nowhere.
- Weiss defends her choice of battle attire to Blake.
Weiss: It's a combat skirt.
Ruby: [Flash Step to be next to her] Yeah.
[they both wordlessly low five each other without even looking]
- Weiss producing the very very crude sketch of Sun out of nowhere to see if Penny had seen him.
- Penny's word-for-word Call Back to Weiss's sarcasm in the third episode.
- Penny's entire first scene (and pretty much all her scenes from that point forward):
Weiss: [crashes into Penny, and sees Sun escape] No! He got away!
Yang: [pointing at Penny pinned beneath her] Uh...Weiss?
Weiss: [looks down at Penny, who grins a little creepily, and jumps up] Ahhh!
Penny: [without moving except to wave] Sal-u-tations!
Yang: Are you...okay?
Penny: [still not moving] I'm wonderful! Thank you for asking!
[the four exchange perplexed/worried looks]
Yang: Do you...wanna get up?
Penny: [considers] ...Yes! [jumps to her feet. RWBY takes a step back] My name is Penny! It's a pleasure to meet you!
Ruby: Hi Penny! I'm Ruby.
Weiss: I'm Weiss.
Yang: [looking concerned] Are you sure you didn't hit your head?
Blake: [hits her on the arm]
Yang: Oh, I'm Yang.
Penny: It's a pleasure to meet you!
Weiss: You already said that.
Penny: [blinks and smiles] ...So I did!
[the four turn to leave]
Weiss: Well...sorry for running into you!
Ruby: Take care, friend!
[as they leave, the camera cuts to Penny, whose eyes go wide as she stares blankly at the ground]
Yang: She was...weird.
Weiss: Now, where did that Faunus riff-raff run off to?
[Penny is suddenly standing directly in front of them, apparently looking at Yang]
Penny: [shocked] What did you call me?
[Weiss horrifiedly looks from Penny to where she was previously standing and back, not comprehending how she got from one to the other so quickly and without being seen]
Yang: Oh, I'm really sorry! I definitely didn't think you heard me!
Penny: No, not you! [advances on Ruby] You!
Ruby: Me?! I - I - I don't know, I, what I, um, uh -
Penny: [awed] You called me friend! Am I really your friend?
Ruby: Uuuuum... [looks to her friends, standing behind Penny and desperately shaking their heads] ...Yeah, sure! Why not?
[other three get Blank White Eyes and fall over from shock]
Penny: [a grin spreads across her face; she throws her arms up and laughs joyously] Sen-sational! We can paint our nails, and try on clothes, and talk about cute boys!
Ruby: [to Weiss, groaning] Is this what it was like when you met me...?
Weiss: No. She seems far more coordinated.
- At the very end of the episode, Sun and Blake are at a cafe. There's just something randomly funny about Sun holding a teacup with his tail.
- When Weiss asked Penny about "that filthy faunus on the boat" she pulls out a terrible drawing out of nowhere to identify him. Not only is it hilariously useless for identifying Sun, the fact she's just randomly carrying a scribble of the guy they just saw a couple of minutes ago takes the absurdity to another level.
Black and White
- Sun Wukong describing the White Fang as a bunch of holier-than-thou creeps and his Spit Take when Blake says she was once a member.
- Penny startles RWY yet again.
Ruby: Aaah! Penny, where did you come from?!
- It's Ruby's almost exasperated tone that sells it.
- Penny reveals she was able to tell that Blake was a Faunus at first glance because of her cat ears, and the others get embarrassed that they didn't notice.
Yang: What cat ears? She wears a... bow...
[silence and dawning realization amongst the trio as a tumbleweed bounces by]
Ruby: [whispering] She does like tuna a lot...
- The tumbleweed. Twice. Made more hilarious by the fact that they're in the middle of a very urbanized city.
Penny: It sure is windy today.
- Penny misunderstanding Ruby.
Ruby: Well, y'see, Blake might not be who we thought she was.
Penny: [gasps] Is she a man?
Ruby: No, no, Penny, she's... [sighs with annoyance]
- Sun and Blake's banter.
Sun: I stole you some food!
Blake: Do you always break the law without a second thought?
Sun: Hey, weren't you in a cult or something?
Blake: [Death Glare]
Sun: ...okay, too soon.
- Roman saying, "What the-!? Oh for fu-"
- Sun throwing a banana peel in Roman's face.
- Roman's Evil Laugh after he shoots Ruby. It just sounds so corny, you can't help but join in.
- Sun's reaction to Penny's Big Damn Heroes moment which involves taking down everyone, mook army and slipjets. "Whoa!" [runs to get out of the way] (It's the delivery that sells it; he's not shocked or scared; just surprised; and getting out of the way is the logical thing to do.)
- Roman: "These kids just keep getting weirder." It's the way he says it, it sounds more like annoyance than actual surprise.
- Roman's blink-and-you'll-miss-it expression after Sun drops a banana on his hat, and right before Sun double-face-stomps him from several stories up.
Best Day Ever
- The relationship between Mercury and Emerald is that of Vitriolic Best Buds.
Mercury: I knew you were lost.
Emerald: Mercury, I will seriously pay you to shut up.
Mercury: That's not your money.
Emerald: But it could be yours for five minutes of silence!
Mercury: Mmmmmmmmmm, no deal.
Emerald: [growls] Fine. [takes the money and storms off]
Mercury: Whatever. You want me. [laughs]
- A moment of surprisingly snarky Ruby:
Ruby: -ahem- Sisters! Friends! ...Weiss...
- Nora feeding Yang from across the cafeteria.
- Some very brief but gold reactions, like Ruby smiling at Weiss' "Hey!", or Blake recoiling wide-eyed at the binder (which is a couple inches thick and still barely holding in everything) being plonked down.
- The binder Ruby presents is labelled "Vytal Festival Activities: Property of Weiss Schnee" — which is crossed out and relabelled as "BEST DAY EVER ACTIVITIES!"
Weiss: ...Did you steal my binder?
Ruby: I am not a crook.
- And then:
Ruby: I'm talking about kicking off the semester with a bang!
Yang: I always kick my semesters off with a Yang! (all three friends start silently shaking their heads as the music slows) Hey? Guys? Am I right?
[Lightly gets hit by an apple thrown off-screen from Nora who boos the joke, after having eaten her three other peltings. Then Nora's fifth one splatters against Weiss's face...]
- For some bizarre reason, there's a watermelon in the background. Yang's lucky that wasn't thrown!
- Weiss getting a Pie in the Face, and JNPR's reaction - Nora quickly points to Ren in true 'He did it!' fashion; Ren is facepalming before she does this; Pyrrha has her hand over her mouth; and Jaune has his hand over his right ear, pretty much matching Pyrrha's expression of "Oh no, this isn't gonna end well." note
- Before Weiss begins to get all speechy (resulting in the pie), you can hear Nora yell "I got it." Also note Yang's shaking her head to get Nora to stop.
- The most epic Food Fight ever.
Ruby: [pointing a quivering finger] Justice will be swift! Justice will be painful! It will be DELICIOUUUS!
Weiss, Blake, and Yang: YEAH!!!
- While crushing a milk carton. A milk carton with the brand name "Udder Satisfaction".
- And the purple soda brand is "People Like Grapes"...
- They start the fight off with Ominous Latin Chanting. Yes, Latin Chanting for a food fight.
- Sun and Neptune head into the cafeteria just in time for all the other students to flee the impending showdown between RWBY and JNPR (when they were walking past the windows outside a moment ago, there was clearly a lot of collateral damage happening, including an unfortunate student getting pasted to the wall). And then the camera pans across the room and...
- Watching even generally no-nonsense characters like Pyrrha, Ren, and Blake take a god-tier food fight completely seriously. While wielding baguettes and leeks, and a pair of turkeys.
- Blink and you'll miss it, but Ren somehow manages to lodge a pair of 'leeks'' into the floor like they were metal swords.
- Yang getting LAUNCHED THROUGH THE CEILING by Nora, wielding an entire watermelon on a stick as a hammer.
- Weiss finding a swordfish. A literal, entire swordfish. And then using it against JNPR.
- Glynda Goodwitch snarling when she walks in on the food fight is oddly funny.
- Glynda effortlessly cleans up most of the mess seconds afterward, then, with barely-contained irritation that borders on anger, somehow manages to make it sound as if things like this are a regular occurrence:
Glynda: Children...please...do not – [adjusts glasses] – play with your food.
- And the punchline: Nora raises her hand and belches, everyone jumps at her audacity, and finally Yang reenters the cafeteria by crashing into a table.
- The fact that Weiss is fighting with a look of utmost seriousness while wielding a swordfish.
- The fact that all the girls (and Ren) end up with food versions of their weapons. Weiss' swordfish... sword, Yang's turkey gauntlets, Nora's Watermelon on a pole mallet and drink can grenades, Ren dual-wields two leeks, Blake and Pyrra's baguettes, and Blake's link sausage shroud. The only ones who don't are Ruby and Jaune. In Ruby's case because how are you going to make a scythe out of food and Jaune because he gets taken out too quickly.
- How did Jaune get taken out, you ask? Double Turkey Rocket Punch.
- Weiss using a bottle of ketchup of all things as a weapon, and it actually working.
- Yang gives Ren an uppercut with her turkey gauntlets, but Ren recovers and throws both leeks at her. The leeks sink into the ground.
- While outside listening to Sun and Neptune's conversation, we see food begin to splatter against the windows just before the Food Fight above really starts, and the two men are oblivious to this. Then Jaune is launched against the window face-first, comically sliding off it. It happens right after Sun remarks "The people here are the coolest!"
- Sun saying he thinks he has a shot with Blake and begging Neptune to be cool and not do anything to blow it.
Neptune: Dude. [pans up his body, ending with a Twinkle Smile]
Sun: Good point.
- Plus when they enter the dining hall right as everyone other than Teams RWBY and JNPR are fleeing, Neptune has a look of confusion, while Sun has a look of "This is going to be AWESOME!
- The last teaser trailer for Vol. 2 had an intense Pietà Plagiarism scene with Ruby cradling a fallen Weiss as the room crumbles around her. Turns out, they were just hamming it up.
Ruby: Weiss, Weiss! Don't leave me! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
- And after it's all over, Sun pretty much voices how all the fans are feeling at this point.
Sun: I love these guys.
- Then he looks over at Neptune, who's covered in purple-colored soda.
- Torchwick's conversation with Mercury and Emerald when they show up goes from sarcastic cheer to total deadpan to very irritated. It's obvious that he does not like them one bit.
Torchwick: Oh, look, she sent the kids again! [throws his arms around their shoulders and pulls them in] This is turning out just like the divorce...!
Emerald: [shudders in disgust] Spare us the thought of you procreating...
Torchwick: That was a joke. And this... [holds up Emerald's note] ...just might tell me where you two have been all day.
Emerald: What?! [checks her pockets] Ah!
Torchwick: I'm a professional, sweetheart. Pay attention, maybe you'll learn something. [looks at note] Why do you have this address?
Emerald: Wouldn't you like to know?
Torchwick: Yeah, I would! Now, where have you been all day?
Mercury: Cleaning up your problems! One of them at least.
Torchwick: I had that under control.
Mercury: Two packed bags and a ticket out of Vale said otherwise.
Torchwick: Listen, you little punk! If it were up to me I would take you and your little street rat friend here and I would –
Cinder: Do what...Roman...? [appears on the catwalk above them]
Torchwick: [laughs nervously] I'd...uh...not kill them...?
- A bit of Black Humor mixed with a Shout-Out between Mercury and Emerald.
Emerald: Mercury and I decided to take it upon ourselves to kill the rat.
Mercury: I think he was some sort of cat actually.
Emerald: [grinning] What, like a puma?
Mercury: Yeah, there ya go.
- Followed by Roman giving them a "I see what you did there" look. And for those who don't get the joke right away it just looks like Roman is making fun of them while Cinder is chewing them out and has her back turned on him.
- Roman's amazing mature reaction to Cinder chewing Emerald and Mercury out with her back to him. I.e., he mimes slitting his throat. It's something you'd expect from a kid watching their mom scold his brother.
- Roman's response as to his whereabouts is utter gold.
Cinder: Why wasn't this job done sooner?
Roman: Uhhh... [gestures to the dust containers on his right] Eh? [gestures to the ones on his left] Eh?! [gestures to the ones behind him] EEEEHHHHH?!
- After Cinder is done putting Torchwick in his place he angrily goes to light a cigar but is unable to find his lighter. Then he looks up and sees Emerald lighting it.
Emerald: [sticks out her tongue] Nyehhhhhh!
- Extra bit of hilarity: The only point in the entire conversation when Emerald and Roman were close enough for her to pick his pocket was when Roman was picking hers. They both pickpocketed each other at the same time during the "divorce" comment: Roman to get the slip of paper with the address and Emerald... because she could.
- The amount of airtime Yang gets from being hit by a Melon Mallet is astounding. One YouTube commentator worked out that the amount of time she spent airborne meant she would have hit about 7.2 hours at apogee!
Welcome To Beacon
- The entire library scene.
Weiss: [unsure] And that means...?
- Weiss is three turns from winning the Risk meets Yu-Gi-Oh! style board game team RWBY is playing together, despite her lack of knowledge on how the game works. ("I have... absolutely no idea what's going on.") Still, Yang helps by explaining the situation, even how to gain an advantage over her, but ending with "Just note I will not forget this declaration of war" before sliding out of frame.
Ruby: [in tears] You're three turns away from conquering Remnant!
Weiss: [eyes widen, than she stands up, dramatic thunder and music being played in the background] "Ahahaha! Yes! Fear the almighty power of my forces! Cower as they pillage your homes and weep as they take your children from your very arms -!
Yang: Trap card.
Weiss: [goes back to normal] Huh?
Yang: [rearranging the board quickly with a smile] Your armies have been destroyed.
Weiss: [sits down, in tears] I hate this game of emotions we play!
Ruby: [hugs her] Stay strong, Weiss! We'll make it through this together!
Weiss: [hugging her back, still teary] Shut up! Don't touch me!
Jaune: Hey, can I play?
- While the board game is going on as literal background noise, we slowly pan across team JNPR.
- Nora is fast asleep, snoring loudly with a cartoon bubble moving with her breath, right on Ren's open book - he barely notices, turning a page right over her head, and popping the bubble. And Nora's sleep ramblings? "Mmm, we all have pancakes..." If you pay attention, you'll notice that Nora using the book as a pillow is forcing poor Ren to read it backwards.
- Jaune is reading a comic, before Pyrrha coughs a bit and replaces it with a book (he's a little dejected), before she has a little grin at being able to enjoy the comic herself. It was an X-Ray and Vav comic, at that!
- Jaune tries to invite himself to team RWBY's game:
Ruby: Sorry Jaune, we've already got four people.
Weiss: Besides, this game requires a certain level of tactical cunning that I seriously doubt you possess.
Yang: Uh, you attacked your own naval fleet two turns ago.
Jaune: Bring it on, Ice Queen! I'll have you know I've been told I'm a natural born leader!
- Pyrrha leans pretty heavily on the fourth wall when Jaune tries to convince Weiss to let him play her hand for a turn and she shoots him down.
Weiss: By who? Your mother?
Jaune: And Pyrrha!
Pyrrha: [looks up directly at the camera and waves] Hello again!
Neptune: Aren't libraries supposed to be for reading?
- Ren thanking Neptune for noticing he's the only one really trying to study:
Ren: [in the background, loudly] Thank you!
Nora: [jerked awake] Pancakes!
Sun: [to Neptune] Shut up, don't be a nerd.
Neptune: Gagaga! Intellectual, okay? Thank you.
- And Neptune's response...
- When Neptune flirts with Weiss and calls her "Snow Angel", she accepts the gesture neutrally. In the background, Jaune complains, "Are you kidding me!?", since that same line earned him a snarl when he tried it back in "The First Step Part 1".
- Blake's Death Glare when it's revealed that everyone on both teams know she's secretly a fau – ...un-loving girl whom they all respect and admire very much. This is probably more because Jaune can't keep his mouth shut as Monty is on record saying that Blake gave the others the okay to tell JNPR in the first place.
- Pyrrha predicting what Jaune's going to say in enough time to race out of her chair, over to team RWBY's table, and cover his mouth with her hand. She looks up as he's saying "I mean " and is out of her chair before he can say "you told us all –". That's an uncanny level of foresight!
- In the close up of Blake glaring at Jaune she looks like a humanoid Grumpy Cat.
- Weiss gets another My Friends... and Zoidberg moment when Sun calls RBY by their names, and her with "Ice Queen". Her reaction also sells it:
Weiss: Why does everyone keep calling me that?
- Then at the very end of the scene, after Blake has suddenly left, leaving those present confused:
Nora: [shrugging] Women.
[everyone just stares at her]
- Glynda ain't got time for Ironwood. When Ironwood greets her by flirting, she gives an exaggerated, obviously fake and sarcastic, fangirl response, before stalking out of the room in disgust. Ironwood ruefully tells Ozpin she hasn't changed a bit and Ozpin very quickly changes the subject.
- Weiss acting like a Large Ham. All the way up to dramatically posing while balancing on top of a chair. Then she puts it down with a grin on her face, scoots back to where she was, then shoots a glance in the direction of a stunned Ruby and Yang as if to say "Yeah, you're not imagining things, I really did just do that!"
- She seemed just as surprised as the rest of the team for half a second there.
- Ruby calls a vote to decide it's time to take the fight to Torchwick and the White Fang after Blake makes an impassioned speech about how they can't just sit around.
Yang: Yes! [points at Blake] I love it when you're feisty! [Blake smiles]
Weiss: Well, I suppose it could be fun.
Ruby: None of you said "aye"...
Blake: Alright then! We're in this together.
Ruby: Let's hatch a plan!
Ruby: [gasps] I left my board game in the library!
Weiss: [shaking her head] We're doomed.
- Don't forget Ruby's facial expressions while calling the vote.
A Minor Hiccup
- Jaune tries yet again to hit on Weiss - this time she didn't even listen.
Jaune: So Weiss, you know I was thinking after this maybe we could go get a bite to eat. And, uh, I've got two tickets to that new Spruce Willis movie if you want to make the trip to Vale, I hear it's awesome. And then maybe after that maybe we could study together, after all you're smart and I'm uh, well, you know.(Bells rings and Port's lecture ends) Weiss, did you hear me?
- In point of fact she did listen, she just already knew the answer.
Weiss: No, no, no, yes.
[Jaune groans and slams his head on the desk. Yang walks by and pats his head comfortingly]
Yang: One day.
- The bell rings for class to end in the middle of Professor Port's story, and he complains that he was sure he timed it better.
- The fact that Professor Port's lecture still consists of "Blah, blah, blah...." deserves some laughs too.
- Sun reveals himself in Team RWBY's window:
Yang: How did you get up there?!
Sun: Ah, it's easy, I do it all the time!
Weiss: You do what?!
Sun: I climb trees all the time!
[Weiss continues to glare at him]
- Then it's revealed Neptune is there with Sun, standing on the window ledge just outside. His first answer is a cool "Sup", followed by him asking if he can come in as it's really high up and he's scared.
- And then Ruby has to push Neptune towards Yang because he is apparently completely stiff out of fright from standing outside the window.
- Weiss appreciatively looks Neptune over and asks if she can team with him. Ruby drags her away despite her protests - and it's even funnier because they're practically acting like each other during that moment!
- Ruby mocks Weiss's exposition of the Cross-Continental Transmit system:
"Ooh, look at me! My name is Weiss! I know facts! I'm rich!" [makes a weird noise somewhere between a snicker, a snort, and a cough]
- The boxes that Ruby knocks over while chasing Penny are labeled "Breakable Things◊"
- The owner of From Dust Till Dawn, once again, gets his stuff broken.
- Ruby is still a fan of weapons and armory, going into a fangirl like trance during Ironwood's public presentation showing off some new protector bots.
- The bots pose like bodybuilders.
- Ironwood's notion of retaining "a human touch" on the battlefield: gigantic Titanfall-style mecha!
Painting the Town...
- "I can see why your father is worried about such a delicate flower." Said by Ruby while Penny has her in a Bear Hug.
- Neptune's frozen face when he gets off Yang's motorcycle.
- Yang left quite the impression with her previous visit to Junior. Then she promptly blows her way in, literally, cockily saying 'Guess who's back!' with a big grin... only to be greeted by dozens of guns.
Neptune: So could you define "friend" for me?
- And during this, the background music is literally skipping in-and-out of its normal track, as if the needle's stuck - Yang slowly reacts to this with an annoyed glance. Cut to the bear-headed DJ who's cowering at his booth (with an actual record-player), popping up slowly to take the needle off, then sliding back down just as slowly.
- Neptune continues to flirt with anything in a skirt. The Twins are not impressed.
Melanie and Miltia: [In sync as they walk away] Hmph. Whatever.
- When Torchwick is revealed at the White Fang rally, a faunus woman with antlers demands to know why a human is there.
Torchwick: Glad you asked, deerie.
- The credits even list her as "Deerie".
- During Torchwick's speech, one of the members in the audience spends the entire time waving at the stage.
- Junior "assumes" Roman wasn't happy with his rented henchmen and had them killed. He then declares (loudly and deliberately) he can completely relate to that, to the annoyance of the handful of his men that are still around.
- Neptune tries to provide input for Yang's interrogation:
- Sun freaking out over the giant mech.
Sun: That Torchwick guy's in it! But not like...it didn't eat him. He's, like, controlling it, or something!
- Weiss rolling her eyes when Blake calls for backup, with a panicking Sun in tow. You can practically tell she's thinking; 'I knew this day would end in violence.'
Blake: Everyone! If you can hear me, we need backu-
- Yang asking for the pair's location...only for them to zoom by in the background seconds later. Bonus points for Neptune's deadpan "Uhh, I think that was them".
- You know those shipping names that are for each pair of girls? They're canon in the form of code names for the girls' combo fighting moves!
- Even Torchwick is calling Weiss "Ice Queen" and addressing her in a My Enemies... and Zoidberg manner (Weiss's annoyed 'Hey!' exclamation included).
- Yang is not impressed with the quality of Weiss's pun, despite the perfect timing.
- If you listen carefully, you can hear Ruby crack up at it.
- Sun and Neptune eating noodles at the end instead of fighting. "I'm sure they're fine."
- They don't even bother to collapse and store their weapons- they just leave them lying on the stools next to them, like, "Oh hey, a noodle stand. Let's just take a break. I'm sure the girls won't mind."
- Made even better because the noodle shop is called "A Simple Wok"
- Not only that, but the noodle shop owner is the "From Dust Till Dawn" shop owner. One can only imagine that the he has to work an extra job in order to make up for all the stuff that gets broken or stolen whenever Ruby is around.
- Aside from the Grimm mask, what else does Sun do to disguise himself? He buttons up his shirt.
- Team CRDL is destroyed and Cardin himself has just taken one hell of an attack.
Cardin: Lucky shot... [passes out]
- Even better is that at least one of Cardin's teammates was taken out by Cardin himself, not even caring about his team anymore.
- When Mercury is fighting Pyrrha, Ruby turns to Emerald and says "Your friend is pretty good!" Emerald gives an awkward smile that clearly says "Please don't call him my friend."
- Before that, there's a quick shot of Ruby fidgeting in her seat excited as the fight's about to begin. You can see Emerald looking slightly annoyed behind her.
- Jaune trying to serenade Weiss into going to the dance with him. With a guitar, and singing. That is all.
Jaune: Aw, come on. Open the door. I promise not to sing.
[Weiss relents and opens the door]
Jaune: ♪ I liiiied! ♪
- Possibly the funniest part of the entire scene is Jaune pausing towards the end of the song, clearly trying to remember/work out what day the dance is actually on.
- Then after that, while Weiss and Yang are discussing exactly how her behavior is why she's called "Ice Queen", Ruby (who's been standing in a Scooby Stack fashion minus the wall), suddenly realizes the way she's standing and promptly falls over. As a sorta-background event, for bonus points.
Burning the Candle
- Yang casually carrying a speaker stack that is taller than her and that makes a table (and Ruby sitting at it) jump an inch or so when she puts it down.
- When asked by Yang what he'll be wearing for the school dance, Sun gestures to his own outfit and says "Uh, this," to which Neptune replies...
- Sun referring to Blake's bad mood as being "Blake-y."
- Jaune talks to Ren about how he thinks they're best friends, and that he's really gotten to know him, despite the fact that he doesn't talk much, among others things. Ren's answer - currently in the middle of wearing nothing but a towel - is simply: "...and I you."
- The bottle he was carrying when Jaune grabbed his attention? Samurai Shampoo.
- Then he discreetly tries to reach for his clothes while Jaune is still talking after this.
Jaune: So how did you and Nora become together...?
Ren: [freezes, thoroughly surprised] Uhhh... uhh... umm—
Nora: [gives off a sheepish string of ahems, headphones down] Uh... we're not actually "together"... together.
Jaune: Nora, I said headphones on!
Nora: OH! [quickly does so at the same time]
- She's also wearing the Boop Shirt from the Rooster Teeth store.
- Ruby wants to have a serious talk about how Weiss can fight in heels, because she has no clue how to even walk in them.
Ruby: Stupid lady stilts.
Sun: (struggling) Stupid... dumb... neck trap.
- Sun has a similar comment outside:
- It's even funnier when you remember that their respective voice actors are married.
- Yang's idea of getting Blake to actually get close enough to talk? Shining a little laser pointer near her, relying on her 'instinctive nature' - and while she doesn't get mesmerized by it like the usual, this does irritates Blake to no end, and she has to follow it just to get it to stop.
- If you look closer, you can see that Blake is trying to stomp on the light.
- Yang and Weiss' brief fight over the dance's decor.
Yang: Weiss! I thought we agreed, no doilies!
Weiss: If I don't get doilies, you don't get fog machines.
- Ozpin knows Ruby loves fighting, so he tries to get her interested in dancing by comparing it to fighting. Ruby doesn't look convinced.
Dance Dance Infiltration
- Ironwood's hapless pursuit of Glynda continues when he asks her to dance with him. She rolls her eyes in disgust, but agrees as soon as she sees Ozpin nod his permission to her. The last view of them them together is Ironwood physically tugging her off-screen to catch her up to his pace. Shortly afterwards, Mercury cattily says Ironwood is leaving the party early because he's had too much fun and, while Ozpin is seeing him off, there's no sign of Glynda.
- Ready to angrily confront Neptune, Jaune tells Ruby to hold. his. punch (which she does). Three seconds later, she takes a sip from it.
- Jaune demands to know why Neptune would turn down an invitation to the dance from Weiss. It turns out Neptune can't dance.
Neptune: Thanks. You're a really cool guy Jaune.
Jaune: [sighs] Alright, don't lie to my face. [brofist]
- When Ruby congratulates Yang on organizing the dance, Yang cheerfully grabs Ruby in a headlock, ignorant as usual to Ruby flailing for breath.
- Jaune learns that Pyrrha didn't come with a dance partner and keeps his word by wearing a dress (complete with his casual sneakers) - even Pyrrha can't help laughing, even as she says he didn't have to do that.
Nora: Ren! [starts gesturing dramatically] This! Is! Happening!
- Then immediately after they start dancing:
Ren: [getting an idea] Wait...what's happening? [looks directly at the camera]
[Nora drags Ren into the dance, which turns into a choreographed Team JNPR dance number, complete with dress-wearing Jaune]
Ruby: Well, I am sure we can handle whatever is thrown at us. [Hears laughter below and looks down] ...Except for that.
- When Jaune first shows up (and not yet on screen), Ruby and Yang are chatting:
- Penny dancing, including a shot of her in the background doing 'the robot' with one of her guards/escorts.
- Right when Penny is first trying to dance, one of guards starts casually tapping his foot to the music before the other guard looks at him, at which point he immediately returns to a stoic Reverse Arm-Fold.
- Right before Cinder gets on the elevator, One guard asks another what the wi-fi password is. note She adds it to her scroll when she gets off.
Cinder: That's handy.
- The two when Cinder joins them in the elevator look out at the assorted unconscious (or worse) guards, then at Cinder between them. The doors close and all you hear is muffled beating noises.
- The shot of Cinder's butt is either extremely hot or extremely uncomfortable due to how out-of-left-field it is.
- When we return to the party, it is a slow song, and everyone is doing the waltz, except Neptune, who's dancing like a fool, by himself. He really can't dance!
- The return of the rocket-propelled lockers, now with an actual practical use: fairly-quick access to their weapons when they're not carrying them around.
- If you look really, really closely during the wide shots of the ballroom◊, you can see Daft Punk are the DJs.
- How does the episode start? Ozpin facepalming at the constant arguing between Goodwitch and Ironwood, giving the "Here we go again..." look.
- Later on, Ironwood suggests sending to as many troops as he can to the enemy's reported hideout. Glynda's response is funny enough... but Ozpin's is even funnier. He may cut her off, but he then promptly agrees with her!
Goodwitch: Why must your answer to everything be a triumphant display of military bravado? You treat every situation like it's a contest of measuring di-
Goodwitch: Well he does.
Ozpin: [To Ironwood] She's right.
- Its completely and totally accidental, but incredibly appropriate, that at this exact moment we can see that Ozpin's chair looks... like... well, y'know.
- Ruby is obviously nervous about being questioned by Ozpin, Goodwitch, and Ironwood. Ruby goes into Suspiciously Specific Denial about not having pushed all of the elevator buttons.
Ruby: Someone accidentally hit all the buttons on the elevator on the way up here. It wasn't me.
- When asked whether she is alright. Here's Ruby's answer, totally ignoring the mood in the office.
Ruby: I'd feel better if my bad guy catching record wasn't oh-for-three.
[camera pans at Ozpin, Goodwitch and Ironwood staring at her, completely deadpan]
Ruby: [hand behind head] OK. So that's the tone we're going for. I got it.
- Ozpin advises Ruby to keep revelations about her attacking Cinder Fall a secret. When she gets back to her dorm, Weiss, Yang, and Blake immediately crowd around Ruby asking her what happened, proving that they're aware of what happened at the dance.
- Tai Yang, Ruby and Yang's father, sent his daughters a gift through the mail. It's their Precious Puppy, named Zwei.
- Upon hearing that she has mail, Ruby uses her Semblance to Flash Step onto Yang's back and start flailing at the gift, complete with noodle arms. And Yang barely reacts to her sister's antics.
- When Zwei first comes out of the tube, he initially conforms to its shape: he literally drops to the floor as a little cylindrical shape, and then expands to normal size with an audible pop. It's exactly as ridiculous as it sounds, and also implies that only the dog food was in any sort of Hammer Space; Zwei just had to fit in the tube for some reason. And then come the reactions. As the girls look on, Ruby and Yang look like they're about to burst with delight, Weiss looks confused, and Blake looks scared out of her wits.
[The girls lean in slowly]
Zwei: Bark! Bark!
Ruby and Yang: [delighted] AHHH!
Weiss: [jumps back, surprised] AHHH!
Blake: [leaps into the air, scared] AHHH!!!
- The notion that the puppy can fit in a mail tube (with a lot of dog food cans) is hilarious as well. And it was implied that this is not the first time it happened but we don't know whether it's the father or the dog's fault. As Blake and Weiss put it best...
Blake: He sent a dog?
Weiss: IN THE MAIL!?
Yang: Oh, he does stuff like this all the time.
Blake: [now hiding atop Ruby's bed] Your father or your dog?
- Weiss is overcome with Cuteness Proximity, perfectly happy to become best friends with the puppy.
Weiss: Are you telling me that this mangy...
[pans to the dog]
[zooms in onto the dog]
[Weiss smiles and her eyes go wide]
Weiss: —is going to wiv with us fowever? Oh, yes he is, yes he is! Oh isn't he adowable? Arf! Arf!
- When asked what should they do about Zwei as the girls are going away for at least one week, Yang pulls out a note from her father in the tube, and reads it. All the while Zwei was barking at Blake at the bottom of the bunk beds, like a dog barks at a cat up in a tree. Even funnier when he does, Blake suddenly gets down on all fours and starts moving like most cats would when trying to figure out how to get down without getting any closer. When she gets an opening, she leaps to a nearby table to escape.
- Take a close look at Blake, too. Her hair starts raising like a cat being threatened.
- Zwei seemingly has his "dog sense" tingling when Yang reaches to the end of the note, dashes beside Yang as she buries Zwei in dog food cans. What caused him to run over to Yang? She said "food".
- When Weiss asks what is Zwei going to do about the cans? A can opener drops out with the perfect timing. The way Yang says "That settles it" implies that Zwei can use it on his own.
- The cut from Ruby looking at Zwei to her being the only girl wearing a heavy backpack is worth a chuckle. Any Genre Savvy viewer will know exactly what Ruby has done.
- Team RWBY signs up for to go to south region to investigate. After being denied access due to being first year students, Ruby suggests that they mail themselves over to the southeast region. Ozpin, who was right behind them, affirms that is an option, and lets them know their sneaking around where they shouldn't be did not go unnoticed. Then he starts listing events that Team RWBY was present at, but have yet to be explained how or why they were involved - he mildly says he might never know those answers.
- Team RWBY's Mass "Oh, Crap!" moment when they realize that the Hunter they'd be collaborating with to investigate is Professor Oobleck. This comes directly after Ruby said they would be with a (implied) cool Huntsman, for bonus points. The looks of utter horror on Yang and Ruby's faces, Blake's bent-forward 'Seriously?' expression, and Weiss' Blank White Eyes, just sells it.
Oobleck: Why hello girls! Who's ready to fight for their lives?
- To top it off, he's wearing a safari-style Adventurer Outfit.
- The lineup of the different Kingdoms' students in their formal attire. Vale, in their coats, vests, and ties. Mistral, in conservative dark close-fitting uniforms. Atlas, in white and gray military dress. And Vacuo, who... put on actual shirts.
Search and Destroy
- A humorous example of Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!, in which Ruby tells the girls of RWBY that they'll be off to save the world...with Dr. Oobleck, admitting that when it's said out loud it's actually worse.
- Nora gives her reaction to Team RWBY leaving on a dangerous mission without them (Team JNPR), saying she's hurt, sad, and also a little hungry. Well, actually, that last one isn't RWBY's fault, but it IS Ren's (who turns away in a near-Tsundere fashion, arms crossed).
- Neptune mentions that their team is getting junior detective badges. Jaune is utterly awed by this revelation.
- Sun makes note that this also gives them a chance to tour Vale without Team RWBY and all the explosions that seem to follow them.
- Ruby has some word trouble.
Oobleck: I assure you, as a Huntsman, I have had my share of tussles.
Ruby: Like the mushroom?
Blake: Those are truffles.
Ruby: Like the sprout?
Yang: Those are brussels.
- Oobleck's metaphor for the importance of history.
Oobleck: History is the backbone of our very society. And the liver. Probably the kidneys if I were willing to wager.
- After RWBY and Oobleck arrive on site, the girls drop down from the airship, weapons out and ready. Then Oobleck lands and calmly takes a sip from a thermos flask.
- When he is telling the girls to 'do exactly what I say', he gestures to himself with his thermos, leaving a wet spot on his chest.
- Ruby's reaction to being called out for not listening to Oobleck.
- Zwei popping out of Ruby's bag, followed by Oobleck's reaction: "We're here to investigate an abandoned urban jungle teaming with death and hostility, and you brought a dog? GENIUS!"
Ruby: (whispering) Get back in the bag.
- Followed shortly by Ruby proudly saying that she's a genius with a big grin... to Weiss and Yang having a mutual facepalm. Blake also looks just as exasperated, but barely avoids facepalming because she's more interested in knowing what the plan is.
- Zwei popping out in full view of everyone. Ruby's response?
- Lets face it, much of Oobleck's dialog, such as when he advises against simply attacking a lone Beowulf, saying they should wait for the pack.
Blake: How long should we wait?
Oobleck: It's uncertain. Hours...days...weeks. Lone Grimm have been known to stay away from the pack for whole months and there's the whole pack.
Oobleck: And now they've seen us.
Oobleck: (right in Weiss's ear) AND NOW THEY'VE SEEN US!
- In her off time during the mission, Ruby is playing with Zwei using Crescent Rose... and a turkey stuck on the handle. As soon as she notices Dr. Oobleck, she hurriedly puts away Crescent Rose, while the turkey mysteriously disappears.
- When Oobleck tosses the camping gear offscreen in the direction of the girls, you can hear one of them (sounds like Yang) "oouff"ing from the impact.
- When they spot Goliaths, the elephant Grimm in the distance, Ruby is genuinely in awe of their beauty and majesty. She expresses her thought in a manner most appropriate for her.
Ruby: [Cocks her weapon] Let's kill it.
- This small moment during an otherwise solemn nighttime scene.
Yang: ...Blake, are you awake?
[they exchange a few lines of dialogue, Yang lapses back into quiet contemplation]
Yang: ...Weiss, are you awake?
Weiss: Of course I'm awake! [Yang flinches] You two are talking!
- Zwei, near the beginning, runs off while Ruby is trying to sleep. She is worried, and follows him.... only to see he went out to go to the bathroom... against one of the few surviving lampposts around.
Ruby: Zwei, this is a wasteland. You literally could have done that anywhere.
- Ruby 'sneaking' while following the White Fang patrol. And using Zwei to peek around the corner for her, telling him to bark once if the answer to her question is yes.
- It's even funnier because it's the classic fast-motion movement seen in many cartoons, but with Ruby's Semblance, is actually perfectly justified this time around!
- If you look closely, one of the White Fang members is wearing glasses on the outside of his mask.
- Torchwick takes one look at a (captured) Ruby and immediately does an Oh Crap!.
Perry: Boss, we found something!
Torchwick: Is it good or bad Perry, because let me tell you, I have had a day.
Perry: Uh....it's a little girl?
Torchwick: That would be bad.
- When Oobleck realizes that Ruby fell into the underground city that he forgot about.
Oobleck: We're not just looking for an underground crime network, we're looking for an UNDERGROUND CRIME NETWORK!
- Slightly before this, while he's zipping around explaining the story to each of the assembled group in turn, he Flash Steps to talking to Zwei.
- You know that thermos that Dr. Oobleck carries around? It transforms into his weapon.
- The name of the episode itself is extremely funny if you know the context. It comes from an Achievement Hunter Let's Play in which Ray declares "The Fuck Train has no brakes!"
- Its original even less family friendly version uses "Rape" instead of "Fuck", a figurative way to describe a competitive online game's winning streak.
- Though the situation is rather dire, this exchange is nonetheless hilarious.
Roman: You know what, Perry? I really did need this!
Perry: *thumbs up*
- How does Ruby escape Roman and the White Fang? She forces Roman's hat over his eyes and legs it.
- Poor Weiss gets reminded by Oobleck again for having called him professor, not "Doctor".
- Torchwick is annoyed that the White Fang is useless for keeping the team off the train.
Roman: Man, animals, every one of them. [turns to boar-tusked White Fang train operator] Uuh, except you...you're great.
- When Team RWBY and Oobleck find a bomb on the train, we get this exchange.
Weiss: What's that?
Oobleck: (kneels down to take a look) That, my dear... appears to be a bomb.
- Yang giving a White Fang member a wink before pummeling him into a train car.
- One of the White Fang members that Blake knocks off of the train emits a Wilhelm scream. It's especially out-of-left-field since it's layered over an already existing and much more fitting scream.
- Upon entering the train's interior, Yang gives the following pun. Doubly so because it appears that in this case, it was an accident.
Yang: I guess this is what we trained for.
- Roman's response to having Blake in the room is to flirt with her.
Roman: Hello, Kitty Cat, you miss me? We really need to stop meeting like this. People are gonna talk.
- Oobleck realizing that the train is leading Grimm to the city:
Oobleck: We're going to stop. This. Train!
Ruby: ...I know. I said that earlier.
Oobleck: [sad face]
- The tension in the air as Yang and Neo walk up to each other is somewhat ruined by the fact that Neo is a good head smaller than her opponent. Becomes even funnier on second viewing because she absolutely wipes the floor with Yang.
- FREAKING. FIREBALL. ZWEI. From his first appearance, the fandom was jokingly wondering "What if the dog was a bullet?" Clearly the creators were listening.
- Blake kicking Roman in the face and knocking him out.
- Torchwick's utterly annoyed delivery of "Somebody kill her!"
- Roman's taunting Blake, trying to use her past history to dig under her skin. Then Weiss is hurled into the room by the White Fang Lieutenant. Roman starts to ask her "So, what's it going to be, Blake-" and she just kicks him in the face. Also, this is the first time in the series where Roman's Nice Hat has actually been knocked off his head.
- Jaune still wears footy pajamas.
- Better yet, his Scroll's ringtone is Russel's Ursa Rap.
- Coco flirting with Fox during the fight, and hanging an industrial sized lampshade on Velvet's bag.
Coco: Hey, come on, you just spent all the semester building that up. Don't waste it here.
- Coco delivering one heck of a Groin Attack to a large Beowulf. She even lets it feel the pain before finishing it off with her purse. As well as her Pre Ass Kicking One Liner to the same one.
- At no point during all of this does Coco move faster than a strut.
- Sun and Neptune's big entrance being utterly overshadowed by the arrival of the Atlas military - Sun even drops his badge in his staring.
- The fact that the two are still cockily giving each other fistbumps after the battle, despite apparently doing nothing onscreen, with their entire apparent fight being completely overshadowed by everybody else.
- Jaune gets annoyed when the rest of his team charges at the Grimm at Super Speed, leaving him in the dust. That, or Pyrrha stole his 'Let's go!' leader line.
Jaune: Okay, who's first? *big Ursa lands behind him, him slowly turning around, backing up weakly* O-ookay, so y-you're first, huh?
- Jaune's look for an opponent turns up another big Ursa, then his conversation with it as he psyche's himself up.
- Everyone gets their moment. RWBY gets their quasi-last stand, only to be backed up by team JNPR. Beatdown ensues, Sun and Neptune get their half a minute, ATLAS shows up, even Emerald and Mercury get in on the action. And before anyone gets a chance to jump in, another hole appears in the ground, and out pops Zwei, right as Caffeine starts playing. I see what you did, there.
- Roman is arrested, and he tells the soldiers dragging him away, "Watch the hat!"
- Team RWBY has had a looooong day. Weiss groans that they had better get extra credit for everything, Yang tiredly cheers for the team, and after some discussion, they finally agree on what to do next.
Ruby: So then.... time for bed?
Weiss: Oh please...
Yang: I'm gonna sleep forever!
- More of a meta thing, but Monty decided to see just how expressive he could make Ruby be.
- The velociraptor (Generally referred to as RWBYsaurus) that keeps showing up in all of Monty's random drawings of the team. Here he is in a hat, being ridden by Ruby and Weiss.
- Episode 4 is uploaded so Monty can finally go to sleep. Technical issues arise and Monty is aroused from slumber. The episode is restored to full functionality.
- Miles answers the question of what would happen in a theoretical fight between Ozpin and Washington in the crew's live chat.
Miles: Well, I think they'd start fighting, then they'd realize how much they have in common, then they'd watch that episode of Breaking Bad where Shannon McCormick makes an appearance and be like "That was a good episode".
- Jaune's got the moves like Monty. No really, he does.
- With regards to the soundtrack, "EP 8 Score - Players and Pieces" gets a few chuckles for including Nora's "Queen of the Castle" ditty. Besides being funny on its own, it almost feels like a pseudo-Big Lipped Alligator Moment in the middle of the track, not helped by it being sandwiched between two more intense segments.
- The director commentary for Volume 1 was recorded at about 3am just before the DVD was sent to be 'printed', and they are punch drunk.
Ren Valkyrie and Lie...
I accidentally shipped them in my brain!
Barbara: She's like damn girl, she's hot. Just kidding. A lot listening are probably happy I said that.
- At another point, when Ruby and Weiss make eye contact in the forest, one of them starts singing "I Will Always Love You". Other 'White Rose' jokes were also made at various points.
- All the different things they theorized Professor Port was doing outside after class. Reminiscing previous hunts, planning future hunts, farting...
- In the voice actress track, Barbara joked about wanting a sound effect for every time Yang hugged somebody into her rather impressive rack.
- Due to working on Red vs Blue, Miles had not actually seen the final two episodes, so listening to the commentary track gives a live reaction track. His reaction when Penny cuts the Bullheads in half is priceless.
- Also of note is his reaction to Penny's Curb-Stomp Battle against the White Fang mooks. It sounds like he's about to have an orgasm.
- Also in the voice actress track, when Sun winks at Blake, Lindsey is jokingly telling Arryn to stay away from her boyfriend.
- Also on the DVD, we have Russel's rap.
- Another point in the ladies commentary, while Yang is fighting the Ursa and talking about how Blake is just off screen, watching Yang.
- Team RWBY's appearance in the animated recap.
- This tweet by Monty.
Monty Oum: Now I want a sandwich.
- Remember those shirtless guys changing into their pajamas? Their file names are Hot PJ Studs.
- RWBY Valentines.
- During the first Production Diary for Vol 2, a view of the writing process is shown. It apparently consists of "Yeah-no-yeah" said a lot, pacing on the conference room table, and watching the latest Godzilla trailer.
- In the first minute of the second Production Diary, the writer shows a sketch of Team RWBY, Blake has a cat head with a little 'meow' over her head.
- Sun's team are all based on different Kpop stars.
- In the same vein, the name for Velvet's team? CFVY - pronounced 'Coffee'.
- According to a reddit thread, Coco of Team CFVY's name was first revealed in a conversation at RTX that went along the lines of this:
- During the RTX 14 RWBY panel, the RWBY plushies are introduced, and passed on to their respective voice actresses. Within moments, Barb is playing with the Blake and Yang plushies, having them make out (and more). The wide shots of the rest of the panel make it funnier.
- Only one episode into Volume 2, and the RWBY fandom once again proves that Anything + Classic Spongebob = Hilarious.
- During a livestream following the first World of Remnant segment, Arryn (Blake's VA) was laying on the floor in the foreground of the RT set, and Kara (Weiss's VA) was going to jokingly act as if she was going to step on her, but tripped up and fell over her (and lightly bumping her head on the table).
Kerry: Weiss Down!
- A few minutes later, all four of the RWBY VA's were sitting on the couch, and Miles noted that they were 'in order'. The girls joked that they almost do it instinctually, and when they are out of order, they feel weird.
- Monty Oum has uploaded a video to his Facebook page of the team JNPR dance scene, but with the character models replaced. Including one version with Grimm dancing, despite their models not being suited for the movements. This results in the models rotating without moving their limbs (except the Ursa and Beowolf, who are sufficiently humanoid to do the moves).
- When "Field Trip" came out, some fans noted that the back of Professor Ozpin's office chair has a rather... interesting look to it. The crew member responsible for that bit of design had had no idea (Ozpin's VA referred to it as the 'scorpion chair' on AfterBuzz), and reacted appropriately.
OH MY FUCKING SHITSTICKS
I DID NOT MEAN FOR THAT TO HAPPEN
- And then he embraces it.
GEAR DICKS FOR EVERYONE IN BEACON!
- And then the tags make it even better.
# I APOLOGIZE ALSO FOR NOT MAKING A GEAR VAGINA DESK TO GO WITH IT
- And then he embraces it.
- The full version of "Dream Come True" is yet another song dedicated to the Arkos ship. However, around the 1:35 mark, Casey Lee starts singing about how "you" (or rather Jaune, given the song's context) should forget about 'the little chick in white' since 'she don't care about you and is so uptight'. Cue Weiss' signature "Hey!" interrupting the song.
- And the entire song is basically Pyrrha singing "Notice Me Senpai!"
- Also from the Volume 2 soundtrack, the song 'Boop', despite being an upbeat, cheery song about declaring one's love for a very close friend, includes lines like 'Crush our enemies/Bring them to their knees'. Though considering the song is very obviously being sung by Nora, it's probably not all that surprising.
- All our problems are now solved.
- Somebody put parts of Yang and Neopolitan's fight in episode 12 to the most ridiculous yet fitting song ever.
- This is the reaction that every person has when they are told just how old was Casey Lee Williams when she recorded most of the works she has worked on, including the soundtracks of RWBY Volume 1 and 2.
- Kerry and Miles have a serious problem.
- During the RTX 2015 RWBY Panel, someone asked the voice actors what would they say or do to their characters if they were to meet them. Miles' (Jaune's voice actor) response made all the Arkos shippers squee!
Miles: SHE'S INTO YOU! WHY DON'T YOU SEE IT?! [mimes slapping and shaking Jaune] WAKE UP!
Audience: [goes nuts]
Kerry: You've been thinking about that one.
Barbara: Hard-core make-out session!
- Even better, someone made a comic imagining this happening◊... and Jaune isn't the only one who doesn't understand who Miles is talking about.
- Barbara's (Yang's voice actress) response?
Lindsey: Miles! She's 15!
- Miles immediately changes his answer to that.
- At another point, while showing off the poster for Volume 3, Miles went to zoom in on the picture, to show the details. But due to the way the picture was laid out, zooming tight into the center of the picture resulted in the screen being filled by Ruby's hips and crotch.
- And now we give you HELLAh kOHPTOR MOOVz