It's Rooster Teeth
, man. Of course RWBY
will have lots of hilarious moments.
List the examples in a chronological order, if possible.
open/close all folders
The trailers have been more awesome
than funny, but there are still some moments:
- In the last trailer, Yellow, Yang introduces herself to Junior as "Sir". By making him a "Ma'am".
- When Yang offers to "kiss and make up", he falls for it, slowly leaning in to take her offered kiss... and then, quick as a flash, she sucker-punches him hard enough to send him flying about 30 feet, leaving him slumped against the wall with circling hearts until a loose bottle falls and clonks him on the head.
- Ruby gets held up in a Dust Shop, but doesn't realize it at first because she's listening to the opening song at full blast through headphones.
Grunt: I said, "Put your hands up in the air," now!
Ruby: Are you...robbing me?
Ruby: Ohhhh.... [smiles]
- After watching one of his Mooks get Curb Stomped:
- When Ruby meets Glynda and realizes her hero is a huntress, her response:
Ruby: Can I have your autograph?
- The Smash Cut to Glynda lecturing her afterwards is also fairly amusing.
If it were up to me, I would send you home with a pat on the back... Ruby:
And a slap on the wrist! [Slaps her crop right next to Ruby's hands] Ruby:
Ruby: They started it!
- Ruby eats cookies in the funniest way possible. The eating animation is minimal to the point that the cookies just disappear◊ when they are near her mouth. It's played for laughs.
- Ruby telling Ozpin that she was taught to use Crescent Rose by her uncle, doing so by saying "Oh, that's my uncle" in an Asian-sounding accent ('justified' by her mouthful of cookies) similar to the "Oh, that's my uncle!" gag in the Rooster Teeth Podcast.
- Ruby's describing her fighting style with Kung-fu noises, which combined with her Motor Mouth mode is simply adorable.
- Glynda's reaction when she and Ozpin glance at each other and she suddenly realizes he's already decided to accept Ruby into the academy. It's such a "you're a sap" reaction. His smiling and looking at her meant he wants her approval; he's still giving her veto power. Her closing her eyes and looking away meant that she still didn't think it was a good idea, but that she would trust his judgment.
- The way Ruby explains her desire to just be normal is worth a laugh:
Ruby: I don't want to be the bee's knees, I don't want to be any kind of knees! I just want to be a normal girl with normal knees.
- The new students listen to a hologram recording of Glynda:
- On the ship to the Beacon school, Ruby and Yang deal with a vomiting boy.
Ruby: Yang, gross! You've got puke on your shoe!
Yang: Gross, gross, gross, gross, gross!
Ruby: Get away from me, get away from me, get away from me, get away from me!
- On the DVD, one of the special features was this episode playing with the storyboards displayed in the corner. During the fight sequences, the 'storyboard' simply said "Monty Action!!!"
The Shining Beacon
- How did the episode start? Vomit Boy...vomiting.
- The fact that all unnamed extras just look like black silhouettes, even when the main characters are touching them.
- Ruby Rose. Super-Deformed, floating and being a Fangirl about weapons.
- As well as Yang's vague 'Uhh...' look, then pulling Ruby back into the frame when she starts drifting.
- And right afterwards when Yang asks if she's not happy with her own weapon, Ruby responds by cuddling with Crescent Rose.
- Ruby says she doesn't need friends because she has Yang, except Yang's friends arrive right then and she quickly tells Ruby they are going to hang out. They run away, leaving Ruby in the dust, as well as so dizzy she falls over onto Weiss's luggage.
- Then, in response to Weiss's over-dramatic 'dust is precious' rant (which threw up a lot of Dust into the air around them), she has an explosive Dust-powered fire sneeze. Weiss is not amused.
- Ruby and Jaune calling each other by their embarrassing nicknames in the courtyard: Vomit Boy and Crater Face. Let's see if both sticks on.
- Ruby demonstrates Crescent Rose to Jaune:
: Whoa! Is that a scythe? Ruby
: It's also a customizable high impact sniper rifle! Jaune
: A...what? Ruby
: [cocks weapon] It's also a gun. Jaune
- Jaune shows off his shield's ability to fold up and make carrying it convenient... until Ruby points out that it would still weigh the same. He sheepishly admits that it does.
- Before that we have Jaune vs his collapsible shield. Winner: the shield.
- Ruby reveals that she designed her own weapon. Consider that fact that she's a 15 year old girl and suddenly this explains a lot.
- The episode ends with both Ruby and Jaune getting lost and with nobody to turn to for directions. (Note that at the beginning there were still random passerbys in the background but they eventually disappeared.)
- When Ruby abandons Jaune to sit with her sister, he's not pleased.
Jaune: Great, where I am supposed to find another nice, quirky girl to talk to? [camera pans away to reveal Pyrrha standing behind Jaune, looking at him.]
- What really sells this is his "Oh COME ON!" tone of voice.
- Weiss's Right Behind Me reappearance as Ruby is relating their previous encounter.
: I tripped over some crabby girl's luggage and then she yelled at me and then I sneezed and then I exploded and then she yelled again and then I felt really, really bad and I just wanted her to stop yelling at me. Weiss
: YOU! Ruby
: [leaps into Yang's arms]
OH GOD, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN! Weiss
: You're lucky we weren't blown off the side of the cliff! Yang: Oh my God, you really exploded...
- Weiss handing Ruby a pamphlet titled "Dust for Dummies and Other Inadequate Individuals" and talking about it so fast that Ruby can't understand her.
Weiss: [getting faster and higher pitched with each word] The Schnee Dust Company is not responsible for any injuries or damages sustained while operating a Schnee Dust Company product. Although not mandatory, the Schnee family highly encourages their customers to read and familiarize themselves with this easy-to-follow guide to Dust application and practice in the field.
- The pamphlet itself for its faux politically correct yet still condescending title of "Dust for Dummies (picture) and other Inadequate Individuals."
- In a way, some of Weiss's lines are said with such blunt seriousness that it's hilarious:
Weiss: [still holding the 'Dust for Dummies' pamphlet] You really wanna start making things up to me?
Weiss: Read this and don't ever speak to me again.
- After Weiss and Ruby meet up again, Yang encourages them to start over. It goes as well as you'd expect.
- Afterwards, Jaune tries to hit on Weiss and fails miserably.
You know, I'm a natural blond. [Weiss facepalms]
- Ruby points out that their father probably wouldn't approve of them sleeping in the same room with a bunch of boys. Yang looks the boys over and says she approves and purrs (though maybe not of Jaune's...).
Yang: [leaps into bed]
It's like a biiig slumber party! Ruby:
I don't think Dad would approve of all the boys though. Yang:
I know I
do! [purrs and watches the boys in the room until she spots Jaune] Jaune: [humming to himself until he spots Yang]
- Jaune's footy pajamas. With matching bunny slippers.
- Ruby's response to Yang's playful sibling teasing? Throwing a pillow at her face. Twice. Even better, the second one is a corgi pillow.
- Yang dragging Ruby over to Blake with a ":D" expression and going "Helloooo~!"
- Ruby almost introducing herself to Blake as Crater Face before she catches herself.
Yang: What are you doing?
Ruby: I don't know help me!
- Blake's "okay" afterwards has a hint of barely restrained amusement to it.
- Blake attempts to get Ruby and Yang to leave her be, only for it to fly over their heads.
Yang: Nice night don't you think?
Blake: Yes, it's lovely. Almost as lovely as this book.
Ruby and Yang: [awkward silence]
Blake: Which I will continue to read.
Ruby and Yang: [more awkward silence]
Blake: As soon as you leave.
- Ruby and Yang arguing and getting into a Big Ball of Violence. With cat noises.
- And Blake is completely unfazed by this fight two feet away from her.
- Weiss barging into the middle of Yang and Ruby's tussle.
Weiss: What in the world is going on over here?! Don't you realize some of us are trying to sleep?! (notices Ruby)
Weiss and Yang: OH, NOT YOU AGAIN!
The First Step
- Nora waking Ren up, and him going through his morning routine without even the slightest reaction.
- Nora slurping a slice of pancake.
- At one point, it cuts from them eating breakfast to them in the locker room with the conversation getting continuing from where it left off, suggesting that she might've just gotten back from a massive tangent.
- Ren's single comment in all of this:
Ren: Nora, I don't think sloths make a lot of noise.
- Ruby cuddling Crescent Rose again, and referring to it as her 'sweetheart'.
- Yang again encourages Ruby to make friends. Ruby is not convinced.
- Jaune can't find his assigned locker.
- Made even funnier when you realize that he's wearing his weapon.
- Weiss' Inner Monologue as she plots to pair up with Pyrrha, complete with Dramatic Thunder for a background. Helped tremendously by her devious grin◊; the kind that makes you laugh and go 'Oh dear god' at the same time.
- Everything about Jaune hitting on Weiss and Pyrrha.
Weiss: [referring to Pyrrha] Jaune, do you have any idea who you are talking to?
Jeane: Not in the slightest, Snow Angel.
- Pyrrha is a temporary cereal mascot.
Weiss: [waving her arms rapidly in anger] She's on the front of every Pumpkin Pete's Marshmallow Flakes box!
Jaune: [gasps] That's you!? But they only do that for star athletes and cartoon characters!
Pyrrha: [with cereal box background] Yeah, it was pretty cool... sadly, the cereal isn't very good for you.
- The way Weiss says it out loud while waving her arms up and down is simply hilarious. That and the cereal box background falling to pieces afterwards.
- The arm motions might be construed as a Stealth Visual Pun, given how Jaune referred to her as "Snow Angel."
- The conclusion with him being pinned to a wall by the latter's spear.
Jaune: My dad said all women look for is confidence! Where did I go wrong...?
Yang: "Snow Angel" probably wasn't the best start.
- Ruby adorable whimpering at the explanation of team assignment, with a low-key Big "WHAT?!" upon learning that the first person you make eye contact with is your permanent, curriculum-long partner. It helps that her world looks like it shattered, literally.
- Before this Ozpin warns the students to choose their partners wisely since they will be with them for the rest of their life at school, before basically telling them they have no real control over who their partner is. Later it's revealed they have no control over who their teammates are either, since its based off pairs that grab the same chess piece, something nobody was told about.
- Ozpin warns the students to watch themselves and fight all out in the forest or else they will die. While Jaune gets terrified, the others are completely unaffected, Nora even shooting Ren a ":D" face.
- Beacon's opening test involves launching students off a cliff, trusting them to figure out how to land, and assessing their performance once they make it back to you through a deadly forest.
Ozpin: Any questions?
Jaune: Yeah, um... sir?
Ozpin: Good. Now, take your positions.
[all students save Jaune do so]
Jaune: Uhhhh, sir? I got a... um... a question... [Weiss is launched] So this... "landing strategy" thing... uh, what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something?
Ozpin: No. You will be falling.
[another student is launched]
Jaune: Oh... I... see... s-so, like, did you h-hand out parachutes for us...?
[Nora cheers as she is launched]
Ozpin: No. You will be using your own Landing Strategy.
Jaune: Uh-huh... that...
[Ruby and Yang are launched]
Jaune: So... what exactly is a landing strate— [launched] —gyyyyyy!!!
[Ozpin turns to watch the students coast through the sky sipping his coffee and smiling]
- Yang putting on a pair of aviators before being catapulted.
- Just before Ruby is catapulted away she looks at Jaune and smirks as if she knows he's about to be cut off mid-sentence.
- All the students glide gracefully after being catapulted, except Jaune, who flops helplessly through the air.
The Emerald Forest
Players and Pieces
The Badge and the Burden
- While it was an example of Cardin's bullying, his getting Jaune stuck in the doorframe by causing his shield to unfold at the right moment...
- The various ways Cardin torments Jaune. The above example, along with Cardin shoving Jaune into his rocket propelled locker, and sending it to who knows where.
Jaune: I didn't land far from the school.
- Nora telling a rather embellished story about fighting dozens of (two) Ursae (they were Beowolves) in the middle of the night (it was day), with Ren deadpanly correcting said embellishments. Then he reveals that the whole thing is a recurring dream she's had for a while, it never actually happened.
Nora: There we were...in the middle of the night...
Ren: It was day.
Nora: We were surrounded by Ursae.
Ren: They were beowolves.
Nora: [shoots to her feet] DOZENS OF THEM!
Ren: Two of 'em.
Nora: But they were no match. And in the end Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of lien selling ursae skin rugs!
Ren: [sighs] She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now...
- The camera pans over everyone during the story. Pyrrha and Ruby are too concerned for the obviously downtrodden Jaune to care, neither Blake or Weiss are paying attention with Blake reading and Weiss working her nails with an emery board, and then there's Yang who's not only listening but appears to be completely engrossed in the story. Perhaps the funniest reaction of them all is Ren who looks completely bored and like he's had to correct the story for the millionth time.
- Possibly the strangest thing about this exchange is that Ren is having to correct Nora on her DREAMS, something he couldn't have first hand information of. Nora's such a ditz she can't even keep her stories straight, and Ren is so used to having to rein her in that he does it even when there's nothing to gain from doing so. It's such a clear demonstration of their relationship, and a somewhat worrying example of the extent of Nora's Cloud Cuckoolander personality. Again, she needs someone to correct her dreams.
- Immediately after Pyrrha assures Jaune that he can ask for help against Cardin's bullying, Nora contributes with a dead-serious(ly)-cheerful "Ooo! We'll break his legs!"◊, complete with Cheshire Cat Grin.
- After all the crap Cardin and the rest of Team CRDL have pulled on Jaune and everyone else, seeing their collective look of horror and watching their tough guy act fall apart when the Ursa shows up is not only very funny, but very satisfying.
- Pyrrha explaining she has the 'semblance' of polarity.
Ruby: Woah, you can control poles.
Weiss: No you dunce, it means she has control over magnetism.
Ruby: Magnets are cool too.
- Ren made pancakes, but there is no syrup. "You can thank Nora for that."
- The way Pyrrha announced it. It's as if she is breaking into a song.
- Pyrrha, when Jaune asks for help in training, gets a rather heartwarming smile, which turns slightly mischievous◊ before she turns back and shoves him to the ground.
Pyrrha: Your stance is all wrong. You need to be wider and lower to the ground.
- Weiss says it is her duty to greet the arrivals from the other kingdoms, but Blake bursts her bubble by explaining that she really wants to scope out the competition.
- A policeman tells Sun to get down from the pole, and Sun responds by throwing a banana peel in his face.
- The fact that the police aren't simply voiced by Burnie and Joel, but that they are modeled after them can earn a few chuckles.
- Weiss: "Quick, we have to observe him!"
- The rest of RWBY trying to tell Ruby not to acknowledge friendship status with Penny.
- And then falling when she says yes anyway.
- Blake elbowing Yang when the latter started asking if Penny had hit her head instead of introducing herself like the rest of them.
- Weiss is again completely confused that the person she just dismissed as incompetent suddenly reappears in front of her out of nowhere.
- Weiss defends her choice of battle attire to Blake.
- Weiss producing the very very crude sketch of Sun out of nowhere to see if Penny had seen him.
- Penny's word-for-word Call Back to Weiss's sarcasm in the third episode.
- Penny's entire first scene (and pretty much all her scenes from that point forward):
Weiss: [crashes into Penny, and sees Sun escape]
No! He got away! Yang: [pointing at Penny pinned beneath her]
Uh...Weiss? Weiss: [looks down at Penny, who grins a little creepily, and jumps up]
Ahhh! Penny: [without moving except to wave]
Are you...okay? Penny: [still not moving]
Thank you for asking! [the four exchange perplexed/worried looks] Yang:
Do you...wanna get up? Penny: [considers]
...Yes! [jumps to her feet. RWBY takes a step back]
My name is Penny! It's a pleasure to meet you! Ruby:
Hi Penny! I'm Ruby. Weiss:
I'm Weiss. Blake:
Blake. Yang: [looking concerned]
Are you sure you didn't hit your head? Blake: [hits her on the arm] Yang:
Oh, I'm Yang. Penny:
It's a pleasure to meet you! Weiss:
said that. Penny: [blinks and smiles]
...So I did! [the four turn to leave] Weiss:
Well...sorry for running into you! Ruby:
Take care, friend! [as they leave, the camera cuts to Penny, whose eyes go wide as she stares blankly at the ground] Yang:
She was...weird. Weiss:
Now, where did that Faunus riff-raff run off to? [Penny is suddenly standing directly in front of them, apparently looking at Yang] Penny: [shocked] What
did you call me? [Weiss horrifiedly looks from Penny to where she was previously standing and back, not comprehending how she got from one to the other so quickly and without being seen] Yang:
Oh, I'm really sorry! I definitely didn't think you heard me! Penny:
No, not you! [advances on Ruby] You! Ruby:
Me?! I - I - I don't know, I, what I, um, uh - Penny: [awed]
You called me friend!
Am I really
your friend? Ruby:
Uuuuum... [looks to her friends, standing behind Penny and desperately shaking their heads]
...Yeah, sure! Why not? [other three get Blank White Eyes and fall over from shock] Penny: [a grin spreads across her face; she throws her arms up and laughs joyously]
Sen-sational! We can paint our nails, and try on clothes, and talk about cute boys! Ruby: [to Weiss, groaning]
Is this what it was like when you met me...? Weiss:
No. She seems far
- At the very end of the episode, Sun and Blake are at a cafe. There's just something randomly funny about Sun holding a teacup with his tail.
Black and White
- Sun Wukong describing the White Fang as a bunch of holier-than-thou creeps and his Spit Take when Blake says she was once a member.
- Penny startles RWY yet again.
- It's Ruby's almost exasperated tone that sells it.
Ruby: Aaah! Penny, where did you come from?!
- Penny reveals she was able to tell that Blake was a Faunus at first glance because of her cat ears, and the others get embarrassed that they didn't notice.
Yang: What cat ears? She wears a... bow...
[silence and dawning realization amongst the trio as a tumbleweed bounces by]
Ruby: [whispering] She does like tuna a lot...
- The tumbleweed. Twice. Made more hilarious by the fact that they're in the middle of a very urbanized city.
- Penny misunderstanding Ruby.
Ruby: Well, y'see, Blake might not be who we thought she was.
Penny: [gasps] Is she a man?
Ruby: No, no, Penny, she's... [sighs with annoyance]
- Sun and Blake's banter.
- Roman saying, "What the-!? Oh for fu-"
- Sun throwing a banana peel in Roman's face.
- Roman's Evil Laugh after he shoots Ruby. It just sounds so corny, you can't help but join in.
- Sun's reaction to Penny's Big Damn Heroes moment which involves taking down everyone, mook army and slipjets. "Whoa!" [runs to get out of the way] (It's the delivery that sells it; he's not shocked or scared; just surprised; and getting out of the way is the logical thing to do.)
- Roman: "These kids just keep getting weirder." It's the way he says it, it sounds more like annoyance than actual surprise.
Best Day Ever
- The relationship between Mercury and Emerald is that of Vitriolic Best Buds.
Mercury: I knew you were lost.
Emerald: Mercury, I will seriously pay you to shut up.
Mercury: That's not your money.
Emerald: But it could be yours for five minutes of silence!
Mercury: Mmmmmmmmmm, no deal.
Emerald: [growls] Fine. [takes the money and storms off]
Mercury: Whatever. You want me. [laughs]
- A moment of surprisingly snarky Ruby:
- Nora feeding Yang from across the cafeteria.
- Some very brief but gold reactions, like Ruby smiling at Weiss' "Hey!", or Blake recoiling wide-eyed at the binder (which is a couple inches thick and still barely holding in everything) being plonked down.
- The binder Ruby presents is labelled "Vytal Festival Activities: Property of Weiss Schnee" — which is crossed out and relabelled as "BEST DAY EVER ACTIVITIES!"
- And then:
- For some bizarre reason, there's a watermelon in the background. Yang's lucky that wasn't thrown!
- Weiss getting a Pie in the Face, and JNPR's reaction - Nora quickly points to Ren in true 'He did it!' fashion; Ren is facepalming before she does this; Pyrrha has her hand over her mouth; and Jaune has his hand over his right ear, pretty much matching Pyrrha's expression of "Oh no, this isn't gonna end well." note
- Before Weiss begins to get all speechy (resulting in the pie), you can hear Nora yell "I got it." Also note Yang's shaking her head to get Nora to stop.
- The most epic Food Fight ever.
- The fact that Weiss is fighting with a look of utmost seriousness while wielding a swordfish.
- The fact that all the girls (and Ren) end up with food versions of their weapons. Weiss' swordfish... sword, Yang's turkey gauntlets, Nora's Watermelon on a pole mallet and drink can grenades, Ren dual-wields two leeks, Blake and Pyrra's baguettes, and Blake's link sausage shroud. The only ones who don't are Ruby and Jaune. In Ruby's case because how are you going to make a scythe out of food and Jaune because he gets taken out too quickly.
- How did Jaune get taken out, you ask? Double Turkey Rocket Punch.
- Weiss using a bottle of ketchup of all things as a weapon, and it actually working.
- Yang gives Ren an uppercut with her turkey gauntlets, but Ren recovers and throws both leeks at her. The leeks sink into the ground.
- While outside listening to Sun and Neptune's conversation, we see food begin to splatter against the windows just before the Food Fight above really starts, and the two males are oblivious to this. Then Jaune is launched against the window face-first, comically sliding off it. It happens right after Sun remarks "The people here are the coolest!"
- Sun saying he thinks he has a shot with Blake and begging Neptune to be cool and not do anything to blow it.
Neptune: Dude. [pans up his body, ending with a Twinkle Smile] [beat] Sun:
- Plus when they enter the dining hall right as everyone other than Teams RWBY and JNPR are fleeing, Neptune has a look of confusion, while Sun has a look of "This is going to be AWESOME!
- The last teaser trailer for Vol. 2 had an intense Pietà Plagiarism scene with Ruby cradling a fallen Weiss as the room crumbles around her. Turns out, they were just hamming it up.
- And after it's all over, Sun pretty much voices how all the fans are feeling at this point.
- Then he looks over at Neptune, who's covered in purple-colored soda.
- Torchwick's conversation with Mercury and Emerald when they show up goes from sarcastic cheer to total deadpan to very irritated. It's obvious that he does not like them one bit.
Torchwick: Oh, look, she sent the kids again! [throws his arms around their shoulders and pulls them in] This is turning out just like the divorce...!
Emerald: [shudders in disgust] Spare us the thought of you procreating...
Torchwick: That was a joke. And this... [holds up Emerald's note] ...just might tell me where you two have been all day.
Emerald: What?! [checks her pockets] Ah!
Torchwick: I'm a professional, sweetheart. Pay attention, maybe you'll learn something. [looks at note] Why do you have this address?
Emerald: Wouldn't you like to know?
Torchwick: Yeah, I would! Now, where have you been all day?
Mercury: Cleaning up your problems! One of them at least.
Torchwick: I had that under control.
Mercury: Two packed bags and a ticket out of Vale said otherwise.
Torchwick: Listen, you little punk! If it were up to me I would take you and your little street rat friend here and I would –
Cinder: Do what...Roman...? [appears on the catwalk above them]
Torchwick: [laughs nervously] I'd...uh...not kill them...?
- A bit of Black Humor mixed with a Shout-Out between Mercury and Emerald.
Mercury and I decided to take it upon ourselves to kill the rat. Mercury:
I think he was some sort of cat actually. Emerald: [grinning]
What, like a puma? Mercury:
Yeah, there ya go.
- Followed by Roman giving them a "I see what you did there" look. And for those who don't get the joke right away it just looks like Roman is making fun of them while Cinder is chewing them out and has her back turned on him.
- Roman's amazing mature reaction to Cinder chewing Emerald and Mercury out with her back to him. I.e., he mimes slitting his throat. It's something you'd expect from a kid watching their mom scold his brother.
- Roman's response as to his whereabouts is utter gold.
Why wasn't this job done sooner? Roman:
Uhhh... [gestures to the dust containers on his right]
Eh? [gestures to the ones on his left]
Eh?! [gestures to the ones behind him] EEEEHHHHH?!
- After Cinder is done putting Torchwick in his place he angrily goes to light a cigar but is unable to find his lighter. Then he looks up and sees Emerald lighting it.
Emerald: [sticks out her tongue] Nyehhhhhh!
- The amount of airtime Yang gets from being hit by a Melon Mallet is astounding. One YouTube commentator worked out that the amount of time she spent airborne meant she would have hit about 7.2 hours at apogee!
Welcome To Beacon
A Minor Hiccup
- Jaune tries yet again to hit on Weiss - this time she didn't even listen.
- In point of fact she did listen, she just already knew the answer.
So Weiss, you know I was thinking after this maybe we could go get a bite to eat. And, uh, I've got two tickets to that new Spruce Willis
movie if you want to make the trip to Vale, I hear it's awesome. And then maybe after that maybe we could study together, after all you're smart and I'm uh, well, you know.(Bells rings and Port's lecture ends) Weiss, did you hear me?
Weiss: No, no, no, yes.
[Jaune groans and slams his head on the desk. Yang walks by and pats his head comfortingly]
Yang: One day.
- The bell rings for class to end in the middle of Professor Port's story, and he complains that he was sure he timed it better.
- The fact that Professor Port's lecture still consists of "Blah, blah, blah...." deserves some laughs too.
- Sun reveals himself in Team RWBY's window:
Yang: How did you get up there?!
Sun: Ah, it's easy, I do it all the time!
[Weiss continues to glare at him]
- Then it's revealed Neptune is there with Sun, standing on the window ledge just outside. His first answer is a cool "Sup", followed by him asking if he can come in as it's really high up and he's scared.
- And then Ruby has to push Neptune towards Yang because he is apparently completely stiff out of fright from standing outside the window.
- Weiss appreciatively looks Neptune over and asks if she can team with him. Ruby drags her away despite her protests - and it's even funnier because they're practically acting like each other during that moment!
- Ruby mocks Weiss's exposition of the Cross-Continental Transmit system:
"Ooh, look at me! My name is Weiss! I know facts! I'm rich!" [makes a weird noise somewhere between a snicker, a snort, and a cough]
- The boxes that Ruby knocks over while chasing Penny are labeled "Breakable Things◊"
- The owner of From Dust Till Dawn, once again, gets his stuff broken.
- Ruby is still a fan of weapons and armory, going into a fangirl like trance during Ironwood's public presentation showing off some new protector bots.
- The bots pose like bodybuilders.
- Ironwood's notion of retaining "a human touch" on the battlefield: gigantic Titanfall-style mecha!
Painting the Town
- "I can see why your father is worried about such a delicate flower." Said by Ruby while Penny has her in a Bear Hug.
- Followed by Penny throwing Ruby in a dumpster to hide her.
- Neptune's frozen face when he gets off Yang's motorcycle.
- Yang left quite the impression with her previous visit to Junior. Then she promptly blows her way in, literally, cockily saying 'Guess who's back!' with a big grin... only to be greeted by dozens of guns.
Neptune: So could you define "friend" for me?
- And during this, the background music is literally skipping in-and-out of its normal track, as if the needle's stuck - Yang slowly reacts to this with an annoyed glance. Cut to the bear-headed DJ who's cowering at his booth (with an actual record-player), popping up slowly to take the needle off, then sliding back down just as slowly.
- Neptune continues to flirt with anything in a skirt. The Twins are not impressed.
Melanie and Miltia: [In sync as they walk away] Hmph. Whatever.
- When Torchwick is revealed at the White Fang rally, a faunus woman with antlers demands to know why a human is there.
Glad you asked, deerie
- During Torchwick's speech, one of the members in the audience spends the entire time waving at the stage.
- Junior "assumes" Roman wasn't happy with his rented henchmen and had them killed. He then declares (loudly and deliberately) he can completely relate to that, to the annoyance of the handful of his men that are still around.
- Neptune tries to provide input for Yang's interrogation:
I haven't talked to him! I haven't even seen
him since the night you first came in here. He paid up front, I lent him my men, and none of them ever. Came. Back. Neptune: [Rushing to Yang's side] So where did they go? [beat] Junior:
What kind of stupid question is that? They never came back!
- Sun freaking out over the giant mech.
Sun: That Torchwick guy's in it! But not like...it didn't eat him. He's, like, controlling it, or something!
- Weiss rolling her eyes when Blake calls for backup, with a panicking Sun in tow. You can practically tell she's thinking; 'I knew this day would end in violence.'
Blake: Everyone! If you can hear me, we need backu-
- Yang asking for the pair's location...only for them to zoom by in the background seconds later. Bonus points for Neptune's deadpan "Uhh, I think that was them".
- You know those shipping names that are for each pair of girls? They're canon in the form of code names for the girls' combo fighting moves!
- Even Torchwick is calling Weiss "Ice Queen" and addressing her in a My Enemies... and Zoidberg manner (Weiss's annoyed 'Hey!' exclamation included).
- Yang is not impressed with the quality of Weiss's pun, despite the perfect timing.
- Sun and Neptune eating noodles at the end instead of fighting. "I'm sure they're fine."
- They don't even bother to collapse and store their weapons- they just leave them lying on the stools next to them, like, "Oh hey, a noodle stand. Let's just take a break. I'm sure the girls won't mind."
- Made even better because the noodle shop is called "A Simple Wok"
- Not only that, but the noodle shop owner is the "From Dust Till Dawn" shop owner. One can only imagine that the he has to work an extra job in order to make up for all the stuff that gets broken or stolen whenever Ruby is around.
- Aside from the Grimm mask, what else does Sun do to disguise himself? He buttons up his shirt.
Burning the Candle
- Yang casually carrying a speaker stack that is taller than her and that makes a table (and Ruby sitting at it) jump an inch or so when she puts it down.
- When asked by Yang what he'll be wearing for the school dance, Sun gestures to his own outfit and says "Uh, this," to which Neptune replies...
- Sun referring to Blake's bad mood as being "Blake-y."
- Jaune talks to Ren about how he thinks they're best friends, and that he's really gotten to know him, despite the fact that he doesn't talk much, among others things. Ren's answer - currently in the middle of wearing nothing but a towel - is simply: "...and I you."
- Then he discreetly tries to reach for his clothes while Jaune is still talking after this.
Jaune: So how did you and Nora become together...?
Ren: (freezes, thoroughly surprised) Uhhh... uhh... umm—
Nora: (gives off a sheepish string of ahems, headphones down) Uh... we're not actually "together"... together.
Jaune: Nora, I said headphones on!
Nora: OH! (quickly does so at the same time)
- She's also wearing the Boop Shirt from the Rooster Teeth store.
- Ruby wants to have a serious talk about how Weiss can fight in heels, because she has no clue how to even walk in them.
- Sun has a similar comment outside:
Sun: (struggling) Stupid... dumb... neck trap.
- It's even funnier when you remember that their respective voice actors are married.
- Yang's idea of getting Blake to actually get close enough to talk? Shining a little laser pointer near her, relying on her 'instinctive nature' - and while she doesn't get mesmerized by it like the usual, this completely and utterly irritates Blake to no end, and she has to follow it just to get it to stop.
- If you look closer, you can see that Blake is trying to stomp on the light.
- Yang and Weiss' brief fight over the dance's decor.
Yang: Weiss! I thought we agreed, no doilies!
Weiss: If I don't get doilies, you don't get fog machines.
- Ozpin knows Ruby loves fighting, so he tries to get her interested in dancing by comparing it to fighting. Ruby doesn't look convinced.
Dance Dance Infiltration
- Ironwood's hapless pursuit of Glynda continues when he asks her to dance with him. She rolls her eyes in disgust, but agrees as soon as she sees Ozpin nod his permission to her. The last view of them them together is Ironwood physically tugging her off-screen to catch her up to his pace. Shortly afterwards, Mercury cattily says Ironwood is leaving the party early because he's had too much fun and, while Ozpin is seeing him off, there's no sign of Glynda.
- Ready to angrily confront Neptune, Jaune tells Ruby to hold. his. punch (which she does). Three seconds later, she takes a sip from it.
- Jaune demands to know why Neptune would turn down an invitation to the dance from Weiss. It turns out Neptune can't dance.
Neptune: Thanks. You're a really cool guy Jaune.
Jaune: [sighs] Alright, don't lie to my face. [brofist]
- When Ruby congratulates Yang on organizing the dance, Yang cheerfully grabs Ruby in a headlock, ignorant as usual to Ruby flailing for breath.
- Jaune learns that Pyrrha didn't come with a dance partner and keeps his word by wearing a dress (complete with his casual sneakers) - even Pyrrha can't help laughing, even as she says he didn't have to do that.
- Then immediately after they start dancing:
[Nora drags Ren into the dance, which turns into a choreographed Team JNPR dance number, complete with dress-wearing Jaune]
- When Jaune first shows up (and not yet on screen), Ruby and Yang are chatting:
Well, I am sure we can handle whatever is thrown at us. [Hears laughter below and looks down] ...Except
- Penny dancing, including a shot of her in the background doing 'the robot' with one of her guards/escorts.
- Right when Penny is first trying to dance, one of guards starts casually tapping his foot to the music before the other guard looks at him, at which point he immediately returns to a stoic Reverse Arm-Fold.
- Right before Cinder gets on the elevator, One guard asks another what the wi-fi password is. note She adds it to her scroll when she gets off.
Cinder: That's handy.
- When we return to the party, it is a slow song, and everyone is doing the waltz, except Neptune, who's dancing like a fool, by himself. He really can't dance!
- The return of the rocket-propelled lockers, now with an actual practical use: fairly-quick access to their weapons when they're not carrying them around.
Search and Destroy
- A humorous example of Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!, in which Ruby tells the girls of RWBY that they'll be off to save the world...with Dr. Oobleck, admitting that when it's said out loud it's actually worse.
- Nora gives her reaction to Team RWBY leaving on a dangerous mission without them, saying she's hurt, sad, and also a little hungry. Well, actually, that last one isn't their fault, but it IS Ren's (who turns away, arms crossed).
- Neptune mentions that their team is getting junior detective badges. Jaune is utterly awed by this revelation.
- Ruby has some word trouble.
Oobleck: I assure you, as a Huntsman, I have had my share of tussles.
Ruby: Like the mushroom?
Blake: Those are truffles.
Ruby: Like the sprout?
Yang: Those are brussels.
- Oobleck's metaphor for the importance of history.
- After RWBY and Oobleck arrive on site, the girls drop down from the airship, weapons out and ready. Then Oobleck lands and calmly takes a sip from a thermos flask.
- When he is telling the girls to 'do exactly what I say', he gestures to himself with his thermos, leaving a wet spot on his chest.
- Ruby's reaction to being called out for not listening to Oobleck.
- Zwei popping out of Ruby's bag, followed by Oobleck's reaction: "We're here to investigate an abandoned urban jungle teaming with death and hostility, and you brought a dog? GENIUS!"
- Followed shortly after by Ruby saying proudly that she's a genius... to Weiss and Yang having a mutual facepalm. Blake also looks just as exasperated, but barely avoids facepalming because she's more interested in knowing what the plan is.
- Zwei popping out in full view of everyone. Ruby's response?
Ruby: (whispering) Get back in the bag.
- Lets face it, much of Oobleck's dialog, such as when he advises against simply attacking a lone Beowulf, saying they should wait for the pack
Blake: How long should we wait?
Oobleck: It's uncertain. Hours...days...weeks. Lone Grimm have been known to stay away from the pack for whole months and there's the whole pack.
Oobleck: And now they've seen us.
Oobleck: (right in Weiss's ear) AND NOW THEY'VE SEEN US!
- In her off time during the mission, Ruby is playing with Zwei using Crescent Rose... and a turkey stuck on the handle. As soon as she notices Dr. Oobleck, she hurriedly puts away Crescent Rose, while the turkey mysteriously disappears.
- When they spot Goliaths, the elephant Grimm in the distance, Ruby is genuinely in awe of their beauty and majesty. She expresses her thought in a manner most appropriate for her.
Ruby: [Cocks her weapon] Let's kill it.
- This small moment during an otherwise solemn nighttime scene.
Yang: ...Blake, are you awake?
[they exchange a few lines of dialogue, Yang lapses back into quiet contemplation]
Yang: ...Weiss, are you awake?
Weiss: Of course I'm awake! [Yang flinches] You two are talking!
- Zwei, near the beginning, runs off while Ruby is trying to sleep. She is worried, and follows him.... only to see he went out to go to the bathroom... against one of the few surviving lampposts around.
Ruby: Zwei, this is a wasteland. You literally could have done that anywhere.
- Ruby 'sneaking' while following the White Fang patrol. And using Zwei to peek around the corner for her, telling him to bark once if the answer to her question is yes.
- It's even funnier because it's the classic fast-motion movement seen in many cartoons, but with Ruby's Semblance, is actually perfectly justfied this time around!
- If you look closely, one of the White Fang members is wearing glasses on the outside of his mask.
- Torchwick takes one look at a (captured) Ruby and immediately does an Oh, Crap.
Boss, we found something! Torchwick
: Is it good or bad Perry, because let me tell you, I have had a day. Perry
: Uh....it's a little girl? [Torchwick looks] Torchwick
: That would be bad.
- When Oobleck realizes that Ruby fell into the underground city that he forgot about.
- You know that thermos that Dr. Oobleck carries around? It transforms into his weapon.
- The name of the episode itself is extremely funny if you know the context. It comes from an Achievement Hunter Let's Play in which Ray declares "The Fuck Train has no brakes!"
- Though the situation is rather dire, this exchange is nonetheless hilarious.
Roman: You know what, Perry? I really did need this!
Perry: *thumbs up*
- How does Ruby escape Roman and the White Fang? She forces Roman's hat over his eyes and legs it.
- Poor Weiss gets reminded by Oobleck again for having called him professor, not "Doctor".
- Torchwick is annoyed that the White Fang is useless for keeping the team off the train.
Roman: Man, animals, every one of them. [turns to boar-tusked White Fang train operator] Uuh, except you...you're great.
- Yang giving a White Fang member a wink before pummeling him into a train car.
- Upon entering the train's interior, Yang gives the following pun. Doubly so because it appears that in this case, it was an accident.
Yang: I guess this is what we trained for.
- Roman's response to having Blake in the room is to flirt with her.
Roman: Hello, Kitty Cat, you miss me? We really need to stop meeting like this. People are gonna talk.
- Oobleck realizing that the train is leading Grimm to the city:
We're going to stop. This. Train
...I know. I said that earlier. Oobleck: [sad face]
- The tension in the air as Yang and Neo walk up to each other is somewhat ruined by the fact that Neo is a good head smaller than her opponent. Becomes even funnier on second viewing because she absolutely wipes the floor with Yang.
- FREAKING. FIREBALL. ZWEI. From his first appearance, the fandom was jokingly wondering "What if the dog was a bullet?" Clearly the creators were listening.
- Blake kicking Roman in the face and knocking him out.
- Torchwick's utterly annoyed delivery of "Somebody kill her!"
- More of a meta thing, but Monty decided to see just how expressive he could make Ruby be.
- The velociraptor (Generally referred to as RWBYsaurus) that keeps showing up in all of Monty's random drawings of the team. Here he is in a hat, being ridden by Ruby and Weiss.
- Episode 4 is uploaded so Monty can finally go to sleep. Technical issues arise and Monty is aroused from slumber. The episode is restored to full functionality.
- Miles answers the question of what would happen in a theoretical fight between Ozpin and Washington in the crew's live chat.
Well, I think they'd start fighting, then they'd realize how much they have in common, then they'd watch that episode of Breaking Bad
where Shannon McCormick makes an appearance and be like "That was a good episode".
- Jaune's got the moves like Monty. No really, he does.
- Hilariously, this gets used in "Dance Dance Infiltration", and it's even funnier... with a hint of awesome for the context.
- With regards to the soundtrack, "EP 8 Score - Players and Pieces" gets a few chuckles for including Nora's "Queen of the Castle" ditty. Besides being funny on its own, it almost feels like a pseudo-Big Lipped Alligator Moment in the middle of the track, not helped by it being sandwiched between two more intense segments.
- The director commentary for Volume 1 was recorded at about 3am just before the DVD was sent to be 'printed', and they are punch drunk.
Ren Valkyrie and Lie...
I accidentally shipped them in my brain!
- At another point, when Ruby and Weiss make eye contact in the forest, one of them starts singing "I Will Always Love You". Other 'White Rose' jokes were also made at various points.
- All the different things they theorized Professor Port was doing outside after class. Reminiscing previous hunts, planning future hunts, farting...
- In the voice actress track, Barbara joked about wanting a sound effect for everytime Yang hugged somebody into her rather impressive rack.
- Due to working on Red vs Blue, Miles had not actually seen the final two episodes, so listening to the commentary track gives a live reaction track. His reaction when Penny cuts the Bullheads in half is priceless.
- Also of note is his reaction to Penny's Curb-Stomp Battle against the White Fang mooks. It sounds like he's about to have an orgasm.
- Also in the voice actress track, when Sun winks at Blake, Lindsey is jokingly telling Arryn to stay away from her boyfriend.
- Also on the DVD, we have Russel's rap.
- Another point in the ladies commentary, while Yang is fighting the Ursa and talking about how Blake is just off screen, watching Yang.
Barbara: She's like damn girl, she's hot. Just kidding. A lot listening are probably happy I said that.
- Team RWBY's appearance in the animated recap.
- This tweet by Monty.
- Remember those shirtless guys changing into their pajamas? Their file names are Hot PJ Studs.
- RWBY Valentines.
- During the first Production Diary for Vol 2, a view of the writing process is shown. It apparently consists of "Yeah-no-yeah" said a lot, pacing on the conference room table, and watching the latest Godzilla trailer.
- In the first minute of the second Production Diary, the writer shows a sketch of Team RWBY, Blake has a cat head with a little 'meow' over her head.
- Sun's team are all based on different Kpop stars.
- In the same vein, the name for Velvet's team? CFVY - pronounced 'Coffee'.
- According to a reddit thread, Coco of Team CFVY's name was first revealed in a conversation at RTX that went along the lines of this:
- Only one episode into Volume 2, and the RWBY fandom once again proves that Anything + Classic Spongebob = Hilarious.
- During a livestream following the first World of Remnant segment, Arryn (Blake's VA) was laying on the floor in the foreground of the RT set, and Kara (Weiss's VA) was going to jokingly act as if she was going to step on her, but tripped up and fell over her (and lightly bumping her head on the table).
Kerry: Weiss Down!
- A few minutes later, all four of the RWBY VA's were sitting on the couch, and Miles noted that they were 'in order'. The girls joked that they almost do it instinctually, and when they are out of order, they feel weird.
- Monty Oum has uploaded a video to his Facebook page of the team JNPR dance scene, but with the character models replaced. Including one version with Grimm dancing, despite their models not being suited for the movements. This results in the models rotating without moving their limbs (except the Ursa and Beowolf, who are sufficiently humanoid to do the moves).
- Monty later tweeted that he was expecting the fans to flood Youtube with alternate Team JNPR dance scenes. The fans' response? "Challenge accepted!"
- Here is one featuring 77 Songs.
- When "Field Trip" came out, some fans noted that the back of Professor Ozpin's office chair has a rather... interesting look to it. The crew member responsible for that bit of design had had no idea (Ozpin's VA referred to it as the 'scorpion chair' on AfterBuzz), and reacted appropriately.
OH MY FUCKING SHITSTICKS
I DID NOT MEAN FOR THAT TO HAPPEN
- The full version of "Dreams Come True" is yet another song dedicated to the Arkos ship. However, around the 1:35 mark, Casey Lee starts singing about how "you" (or rather Jaune, given the song's context) should forget about 'the little chick in white' since 'she don't care about you and is so uptight'. Cue Weiss' signature "Hey!" interrupting the song.
- Also from the Volume 2 soundtrack, the song 'Boop', despite being an upbeat, cheery song about declaring one's love for a very close friend, includes lines like 'Crush our enemies/Bring them to their knees'. Though considering the song is very obviously being sung by Nora, it's probably not all that surprising.
- All our problems are now solved.
- Somebody put parts of Yang and Neapolitan's fight in episode 12 to the most ridiculous yet fitting song ever.