open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The Trigun manga, in an interesting variation of this trope, showed a sign in one city counting the number of murders and serious injuries that had occurred that day.
- Incredible Hulk has the occasional counter indicating number of days without incident (in this case, "incident" means "Bruce getting pissed off enough to Hulk Out and break lots of things"). The movie The Incredible Hulk did the same thing
- It has been 0 days since DC Comics has done something stupid.
- There was a Dilbert strip where somebody is putting up a sign that reads "8 days since the last accident", and then falls off the wheeled chair they're standing on.
Dilbert: That's ironic.
Injured co-worker: No, it was ironic when it happened nine days ago.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh The Other Abridged Movie, an establishing shot of the school is captioned with "12 days since last Godzilla attack".
- In Pokémon Reset Bloodlines, there's a sign in Viridian Forest saying "251 Days since last known fatality". Unlike most examples, though, it's not Played for Laughs, but rather as a way to further establish that the new world is a lot more dangerous than the previous one.
Films — Animation
- Used in Monsters, Inc. The sign is reset to zero after the first "twenty-three-nineteen" incident.
Films — Live-Action
- Transformers has one of these inside the Hoover Dam.
- During a shooty shootout in a shooter factory in Shoot 'em Up, numbers are predictably shot off the sign until it displays 0. Shoot.
- Done in the movie Speed. In the finale, as the subway train crashes out of control through the construction area, there's such a sign. The subway train crashes through it.
- Played for Drama in Super 8, when an accident counter (at a very high count) at the Lillian steel mill is seen reset to zero before it is revealed that the accident caused the gruesome death of the protagonist's mother.
- In Young Doctors in Love the sign is reset after the assassin smokes next to gas tanks, and explodes.
- In Man of Steel, General Zod hits Superman into one of these signs on a construction site. The impact knocks two digits off the sign, thus accidentally resetting it to "0 days..."
- Played for Drama with the War Clock in Pacific Rim, which tracks the time since the last Kaiju attack and/or Jaeger pilot casualties (the two are virtually synonymous). When the portal is eventually destroyed, the order is given to "Stop the Clock."
- The Black Fleet Crisis mentions a sign in the lobby of the New Republic Senate reading "X Days Since The Last Shot Fired in Anger. Remember, Peace is No Accident!" When a new war breaks out, Chief of State Leia Organa Solo notices the sign and angrily orders that it be taken down.
- The Bastard Operator from Hell had one in one episode. 10 days since last accident? "I think you'll find that's a binary number." And that's only because they don't count disappearances as accidents, or people who don't work there, or disappearances of people who don't work there... Suffice it to say, whatever health and safety compliance the Bastard's workplace once had is long gone. It gets reset at the end of the story by the CEO, with a case of The Coroner Doth Protest Too Much following the boss suffering "a tragic accident" in his office.
- At the end of Kris Longknife: Intrepid, Kris asks her AI companion Nelly to keep track of her time between people trying to kill her. Nelly snarks that she doesn't think she can count that low. At the start of Undaunted she's made it 63 days, on account of her explorer ship USS Wasp not having met a single living soul since her last port.
- The Office (US)
- An episode features an "X Days Since Last Accident" sign in the warehouse. Michael caused an accident, requiring the sign (which had a high number on it) to be reset.
- When Dwight becomes manager and declares a "no nonsense" workplace, Jim produces a joke sign that reads "4 days since last nonsense". Dwight sees the sign and changes the number to five.
- Happens non-comically in Lois & Clark, the counter is reset to zero because of something happening in the episode.
- When the film I Was a Teenage Werewolf was featured on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, the following comment was made at a shot of a high school sign:
Tom Servo: Ten days since last teen pregnancy.
- The Daily Show: Jon Stewart's first televised reaction to the Henry Louis Gates incident:
Jon: Now we have to reset the sign!
(large sign reading "191 days without racial tension")
- An episode of Monk began within with a janitor being killed in an industrial trash compactor, with blood spattering onto the sign.
- In RoboCop: The Series the OCP Biohazard Containment Facility claims on a large billboard outside the main entrance "Proudly Accident-Free for 002 days".
- In the Constantine episode "A Feast of Friends", Constantine finds a body next to a sign indicating the number of days since the last accident and calmly updates the sign.
- The Colbert Report: In 2012-13, Stephen Colbert had a whiteboard which said "[X] days without a GOP rape mention", referring to how several prominent Republicans made insensitive comments about rape, which he'd erase whenever it happened again.
- English Premier League club Everton FC are in the midst of serious financial problems that have left them unable to buy or sign any new players for the team for quite some time. Disgruntled fans had set up a web site called "Everton Time" that tracks how many years, months, and days it's been since the club's most recent player purchases and signings.
- The Chicago Cubs, a MLB Team. have long had a sign on one of the rooftops across the street starting with "AC", for "Anno Catuli" ("Year of the Cubs"), indicating the years since their last world series title, NL pennant, and division title. As they last won these in 1908, 1945, and 2008 respectively, they recently (in 2008) had to add an extra digit for the 100th year since their last World Series title.
- In the queue line for The Incredible Hulk Coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure, monitors show that there have been 278 days since the last Gamma radiation exposure incident. It soon after changes to 0 days.
- The ride Stitch's Great Escape! at Walt Disney World has the Galactic Federation's "Days Since Last Escape" as you exit the ride. The very high number is, of course, resetting since Stitch just escaped.
- Played for laughs in DOOM. Upon completion of the first level, you come across a UAC propaganda hologram that proudly states "Welcome to the UAC - Now 221 Accident-free days!"...as the entirety of the level you played (and the hallway you are currently standing in) are soaked in blood and strewn with corpses.
- Inverted in the first Oddworld game: One of the scrolling information bars in Rupture Farms, a meat packing plant, reads "Only 1,234 work related injuries this month! Keep up the good work"
- Several Team Fortress 2 maps have a sign that reads "This Job Has Worked  Days Without an Accident". The Payload map Swiftwater has a non-zero numbers of days for the sign, but is appended with "that said, there have been a number of homicides".
- There was an unused texture in Half-Life that had a sign reading "Days since last accident" with a zero and the sign had blood splattered on it.
- BioShock has several of these signs throughout the game. At least one has fallen off the wall entirely.
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game has one of these signs shown in the firehouse just outside the door to the sleeping quarters/showers.
- One derelict spaceship in Mass Effect 2 has an "It has been five days since our last workplace fatality" announcement. Of course, said derelict spaceship is actually an Eldritch Abomination. It's to be expected. The only reason it's been as much as five days is the whole work crew are husks already!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Eggman really is cutting corners with his attractions if they come with a "MINUTES without accident" counter!
"Come aboard the asteroid coaster! Accident free for 45 minutes!"
- Dead Space has a "Days Since Last Accident" sign which predictably reads '0'. It shows up as a background image on its Steam library page.
- At the beginning of Portal 2, Chell is awakened from suspended animation and an automated voice claims "You have been in suspension for fifty days". She is then put to sleep again and when she wakes up, the room is visibly degraded and the voice (also degraded) says "You have been in suspension for nine nine nine nine nine...nine nine..."
- Broken Hill Quarry in Evolve has one of these. Some poor sap wrote over it to read 'This facility has gone 0 days without anyone being eaten'.
- Zero Punctuation: Yahtzee doesn't have that kind of restraint; he counts time since his last gay joke in hours instead of days.
- Pictured: SEMME experiences one.
- Shortpacked! has a "Days Since a Horrible Pun" sign.
- In Penny Arcade, a rat exterminator company has a sign that reads "It has been x weeks since we killed a baby." A guy with an exasperated look on his face is resetting the count to zero.
- Girl Genius offers "17 days without a major explosion" in the Baron's labs, and "No hideous death in 2 days" in the castle Heterodyne. There's a corpse caught in the process of updating the last one.
- xkcd: 38 days since someone reset this sign.
- In The Whiteboard several such signs show up occasionally, like "10 days since last mauling"
- Casey and Andy: Using seconds, because otherwise it'd remain on zero all the time.
- Precocious has days since the last horrible incident.
- In Housepets! Heaven has a "days since last shocking revelation" sign outside their orientation building. A chimera is seen resetting it after Keene is told that he's dead.
- In one of the Acts of Gord stories, he comes up with the idea of having an "X days since I've had to deal with an idiot" sign. The idea being that while dealing with an idiot, he would sigh and flip it back to 0, right in front of them. He hoped they'd be offended enough to leave.
- Reddit's Today I Fucked Up (TIFU) subreddit has an "X Days Since Reddit Shat Itself" counter. It rarely gets above 0.
- From the Not Always Right sister site Not Always Learning we have this story about a chemistry student so accident-prone that the teacher made one of these signs just for them.
- Duckman gets committed to a mental hospital in the "A Room With a Bellevue" episode of Duckman with a "It has been 3 days since our last 60 Minutes expose" sign out front.
- In The Simpsons:
- In the new opening: Lenny & Carl are changing the "days without an accident" one higher, then the quitting time horn goes off and Homer runs out, knocking them over in the process.
- A prison holds a sign counting the number of days since the last break out.
- A trailer park has a sign counting the number of days without a tornado. And it's reset between scenes.
- When Apu takes his citizenship test, the sign outside says something like "130 years without a civil war"
- Then there's the "days since a suicide" sign at a divorcee hotel. As we see it, there's a gunshot and it resets to zero.
- In the computer game Virtual Springfield, there's one of these on the wall in Sector 7G. If you click on one button, Homer presses it, then suddenly Lenny and Carl come running through screaming and on fire, then a countdown begins, stopping when Homer casually presses a button, and says "So that's what that button does!" If you look at the wall again, the counter has reset.
- The sign at the Springfield International Airport says "no crashes since Tuesday", then immediately a plane crashes.
- In a Futurama episode a sign counts the days since Omicron Persei 8 last invaded Earth and in another episode there's one in a working ground for slaves counting the days since the last accident (and Fry accidentally nails his own hand to the sign while changing the number, then reaches for the "1" sign anyway). Also, there's one on the door to the cryogenic tubes Fry got frozen in.
- On an episode of Chilly Beach, one of the townspeople is changing a sign marked "Number of days Since Last Polar Bear Attack" from "0000" to "0001". He gets eaten by a polar bear and the number blows off.
- An episode of Back at the Barnyard has Freddy attempting to change the "Days since last accident" sign. When he does, he falls off the ladder he was using prompting a long and exaggerated cycle of him falling.
- In the King of the Hill episode "The Accidental Terrorist", just after Bobby got a ride on a car lift in a car dealership, the camera zooms towards the background showing the sign "2 days since the last accident."
- In the Star vs. the Forces of Evil episode "Blood Moon Ball", Tom wears a button that says he's been anger-free for 53 days. When he loses his temper and tries to kill Marco, Star defeats him, then magically changes his button to say 0 days.
- In one episode of My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Jake gets seriously injured, then slowly reaches over to one of these signs and changes it to zero.
- A large number of real life industrial facilities have these. Common ones include counters since "Last Recordable Injury" (one that needs more than basic first aid) and "Last Lost Time Incident" (one that causes missed work). Typically, rewards are given at big numbers, like a year without any form of injury, which can be a significant accomplishment in a large facility.
- From T-Shirt Hell (NSFW): "03687 days since the last time I gave a shit."
- The road running from Fort Irwin (California) to Barstow, the nearest town, has a sign reading: "This road is deceptively dangerous. It has killed __ injured __ this year. Please drive carefully." For symbolic effect, the sign includes a "map" of the road — pictured as a rattlesnake with a lane divider running down its back.
- Several British roads have a similar but rather more understated sign, saying "__ killed, __ injured this year. Drive Carefully."
- Electronic freeway signs in Illinois sometimes display a running count of drunk driving deaths in the state for the current year. The number is updated daily, so commuters can see how many people have died since the day before.
- Similar signs can be seen at low-water crossings (basically concrete bridges on rural roads that are normally above the waterline of a stream or river, until heavy rainfall causes a surge.)
- Similarly, "How Many Days Since Montague Street Bridge has Been Hit."
- Some highways in Australia will have a sign that says "X days since the last local fatal accident". One example can be found on the Copper Coast Highway in South Australia, which also keeps tabs on the record for the most amount of days since a fatal accident.
- The members of Twelve-Step programs count the days since they last drank alcohol or otherwise returned to their addiction, and use visible symbols in the form of a poker-chip-like object for each drug-free month.
- This can be seen in a sense with Booth's poker chip on Bones, though it's a single chip, not a growing pile.
- One power plant in Britain raised a flag to commemorate 100 days since the last accident. One day, while an employee was raising the flag, the counter-weight fell and shattered his skull.
- Keith Olbermann usually ended Countdown with "That's all for tonight, the Xth day since President Bush declared 'Mission Accomplished' in Iraq", which drove the point home that we were still in Iraq. When Obama was inaugurated, he said, "What, did you think that would change? Are the troops home yet?"
- Conversational Troping at the Discworld Convention 2012, there were "sects" that atendees could join. Every time someone had a line along the lines of "Let's talk about sects" or "Everything you wanted to know about sects" or so on, it would be met with a cry of "Reset the counter!" Although if the counter had actually existed, it would never have reached hours never mind days.
- This clock in Hiroshima counts the number of days since the first atomic bomb was dropped in that very spot, and the number of days since the latest nuclear detonation.