open/close all folders
Kusuo Saiki - Character Profile
Voiced by: Shintaro Asanuma (vomic and flash anime) and Hiroshi Kamiya (TV anime) (Japanese), Jerry Jewell (English)The Main Character. A 16 year old boy with extremely powerful psychic powers. He could use them to effortlessly have anything he wanted, but instead opts to settle down for a peaceful and quiet life.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: They lack a good deal of common sense and are Sickeningly Sweethearts.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: His female form, Kusuko, attracts the unwanted attentions of Takahashi and his friends.
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with his desserts.
- Blessed with Suck: His powers take away many kinds of enjoyment and he hasn't complete control over them.
- Celibate Hero: Because of his powers. X-Ray Vision + Telepathy = Apathy.
- Comically Invincible Hero: His numerous powers can bail him out of virtually any undesirable situation. This doesn't stop undesirable situations from happening to him anyways.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Revealing his powers to the world will attract unwanted attention to himself.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the First-Person Smartass kind.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: If Kusuo isn't careful, people will get hurt. Badly.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: Kusuo's inner monologue is specifically addressed to the reader, but he doesn't break the Fourth Wall aloud.
- Friendless Background: His aim. His classmates don't collaborate.
- Grumpy Bear: He's very cynical despite living a very pleasant world.
- He Who Must Not Be Heard: Whether he can't speak, won't speak or doesn't speak on screen remain to be seen.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He doesn't really want to become a normal person, but he wants to live quietly as one.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Inverted. He just wants to be alone, but his classmates keep trying be friends with him.
- I'll Kill You!: Threatens to kill Toritsuka with a sharpened roll of toilet paper if he ever reveals that he's a psychic to his classmates.
- Medium Awareness: Possibly another of his psychic powers.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Played for Laughs and Deconstruction purposes instead Deus ex Machina.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Kusuo goes out of his way to try to avoid Kokomi and Chiyo's advances.
- Not Bad: Kusuo will never admit he actually likes something (not even coffee jello). Instead, he'll just claim that he "doesn't dislike" it.
- Not So Above It All: For all of his criticism of other characters' wackiness, Kusuo can be just so silly as any of them, especially when sweets are involved.
- Not So Stoic: Accidentally using psychometry on a person who can see ghosts causes him to look terrified.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He could easily become The Ace, but he doesn't want to stand out.
- The Omnipotent: Of the Type 5. Possibly Type 3.
- Only Sane Man: To virtually every other character in the series.
- Power Incontinence: Has problems controlling his own strength (see each specific power for description). It temporarily becomes an even greater problem after Nendou briefly unplugs one of his antennae.
- Power Limiter: The antennae on his head keep his powers in check.
- Psychic Powers: Kusuo has just about every basic psychic power in the book, plus a variety of others powers that are described as psychic in origin. A list with his known powers is in a separate folder below.
- Serious Business: Anything that he "doesn't dislike", but particularly sweets.
- Shipper on Deck: He will happily pair Chiyo to any boy but him, just so she will leave him alone.
- Silent Partner: He has never been seen talking to another living being.
- The Stoic: Constantly wears a bored, deadpan expression and rarely cracks a smile. Enhanced by his Stoic Spectacles.
- Sweet Tooth: Completely obsessed about sweets, especially coffee jello.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Coffee jello.
- Unreliable Expositor: Sometimes Kusuo is not completely sincere in his inner monologues, both to the reader and himself. Some examples are more obvious, like his incapacity to admit he likes of something or his attempts to rationalize his fear of bugs. Other are more subtle and open for interpretation from the reader.
Kusuo Saiki - Psychic Powers
Kusuo has a big variety of powers, but every one of them is described as psychic in origin. As the series advances he keeps to reveal or discover even more of them, so the trend is that this list will just continue to grow.
- Clairvoyance: By crossing his eyes, he can see and listen things happening in other places. It only works if he's visited and seen the place before in real life. A similar power, "Psychic Photography", consists of concentrating in somebody or something during one minute to draw an illustration of its present location.
- The Empath: He can fell the affection rating of a person toward someone and illustrate it as percentage value in a heart-shaped digital display.
- I See Dead People: Kusuo becomes able to see the ghost of Nendou's father, but not other ghosts as Reita, for unknown reasons.
- Jedi Mind Trick: The "Mind Control" power. Although it serves only to convince people that something unusual is not really uncommon, it's actually Kusuo's most dangerous power. If he convinces too many people that something is not unnatural, reality will actually change and not just that particular thing will become natural, it will cause a snowball effect that will affect a series of related things. Case in point, his world physics follows gag manga tropes in first place because he was careless with this power as a child.
- Invisibility: It takes a full minute of concentration to activate and lasts for 10 minutes. The effect is canceled if Saiki is touched by other people. Also, it doesn't works against people who can see ghosts.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The "Memory Removal" power can erase up to one minute of memories by delivering a strong impact to the head of the target. The downside is that the brain of the victim will automatically fill the blank by creating a completely new memory that can't chosen. Also, because his Super Strength, Kusuo needs use this power in combination with Restoration or the victim will die.
- Living Lie Detector: Comes with being able to read people's minds.
- Mass Hypnosis: Without his antenna shaped power limiter, Kusuo's Mind Control ability spans all the world.
- Master of Your Domain: Kusuo has a great control over his body functions, from sweating freely to fool others into thinking that he's putting physical effort into races and sports activities to freely dislocate, contort and reassemble each one of his joints.
- Mind over Matter: Can use his mind to move people, objects, and even himself around.
- Playing with Fire: Ranges from simply making objects feel hot to the touch to incinerating them to cinders.
- Psychic Radar: Based in to estimate the distance and position of each mental voice. 200m range.
- Psychometry: He can "see" an object's pass by simply touching it; touching a person allows him to see and feel the same things they do in real time. Since it cannot be turned off, he constantly wears transparent gloves to prevent himself from seeing all of the unpleasant things associated with each object.
- Shock and Awe: Can summon lightning to just about anywhere he pleases.
- Spider-Sense: Has the ability to notice dangers and menaces before them happen.
- Super Speed: Can reach Olympic level speeds with relative ease.
- Super Strength: He has problems matching the strength level of ordinary people.
- Telepathy: Can't be shut off, causing him to have to constantly listen to others' thoughts within a 200 meter range. It doesn't work on Nendou for some reason, likely because he's an idiot.
- Teleporters and Transporters: He can teleport wherever he pleases, but it requires a three minute cooldown before he can use it again.
- Time Master: The "Restoration" power can turn back the time for people and objects, bringing them to a prior state. The main downside is that other people and objects nearby may be accidentally affected too. When used in people, this power doesn't affect their memories.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: With his "Transformation" power, Kusuo can change his form at will. He can turn into a woman, an animal or even aliens or inexistent beings. Completing the transformation takes two hours and has a ton of unmentioned downsides.
- Weather Manipulation: He is able to part clouds and make the sun come out during a strong downpour.
- X-Ray Vision: This power actives itself automatically after 5 seconds whenever he gazes at anything. A largely spreaded mistranslation claims that this power doesn't to work against other telepaths, but that is wrong information * .
salaryman. Immature and greedy, he has fewer scruples about how his son should use his powers.
- Butt Monkey: His main role in the series. Besides a really bad luck, he will usually suffer the consequences of his immaturity.
- Extreme Doormat: He licks his boss' shoes (literally) whenever he commits a mistake or misses a deadline on his job.
- Fantastically Indifferent: He took the discovery of his son's power in stride.
- Happily Married: To Kurumi.
- Just Think of the Potential: His outlook on Kusuo's powers. He even ponders burglary.
- Man Child: Acts very immature for his age.
- Salary Man: His job.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kurumi Saiki, to the annoyance of their son.
- Berserk Button: Threatening her family.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Becomes physically violent when she's in an argument with her husband.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Saiki actually becomes terrified when she suddenly insists that he hangs out with his friends at the beach.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Her outlook on Kusuo's powers. Usually.
- Fantastically Indifferent: She took the discovery of her son's power in stride. Her main preoccupation was to teach him to not commit crimes with it.
- Full Name Ultimatum: A variation. She uses the name "Kusuo" when angry, instead the usual "Ku-chan".
- Happily Married: To Kuniharu.
- Housewife: Usually stays at home and keeps the house tidy.
- Nightmare Face: When really angry, her face becomes like a Hannya Mask.
- The Pollyanna: Very nice and optimistic, she always thinks the best of others. Sometimes crosses the line of Stupid Good.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kuniharu Saiki, to the annoyance of their son.
- Unstoppable Rage: If pushed far enough, she will become really violent and chase her target to a massive beatdown.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Subdues her husband with an array of wrestling moves when she's really angry.
PK Academy (Students)
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (vomic and flash anime) and Daisuke Ono (TV anime) (Japanese), David Wald (English)A really idiotic delinquent that thinks he is best friends with Kusuo. He's actually a nice guy, but his stupidity and appearance cause his good deeds to backfire.
- Disability Superpower: He's immune to mind-reading and telepathic detection because he's so stupid that he's never thinking anything at all. He's the only person who can sneak up on Kusuo and theoretically kill him..
- Disappeared Dad: His father died before he was born. He was killed while saving a little girl from an oncoming truck.
- Dumb Muscle: Makes up for his low intelligence with his impressive strength.
- Face of a Thug: He's a very nice guy, but most people are either scared or disgusted with him because of his looks.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Due to his appearance, nobody wants to be around him.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He never reacts well when Kaidou is popular with the girls but they ignore him.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: How he sees his relationship with Saiki. Saiki doesn't agree.
- Japanese Delinquents: What he looks like.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Kaidou mistaked him for one once.
- Nice Guy: Or at least, he tries to be one. He truly is a nice guy, but his looks and intelligence make it hard for him to get the point across.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen. He invites Saiki out to eat it regularly.
- Punny Name: "Nendou Riki" means "Telekinesis".
- Slasher Smile: Fitting his face, some of his smiles look like this.
- Strong Family Resemblance: His mother and father have the same chin, scars, and face as he does. His father looks exactly like him, hairstyle and all. The location of their scars is what sets them apart.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Shun Kaidou, after both try to win Saiki's companionship.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: How does he aid an unconscious person? By beating the shit out of him.
AKA: Jet-Black Wing
Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi (vomic and flash anime) and Nobunaga Shimazaki (TV anime) (Japanese), Micah Solusod (English)Shun Kaidou is the Secret Identity of Jet-Black Wing. Using the power of Black Beat, an godlike force imprisioned in his right arm, he fights to protect the world from the Dark Reunion, a Secret Society that plans to steal Black Beat and use its power to weed out the unnecessary elements from humankind and create a new world. Or not. Actually, Shun Kaidou just believes he's Jet-Black Wing. Yeah, he suffers from Chuunibyou despite he's already 16 years old. He also thinks Kusuo is his sidekick.
- Affectionate Parody: His appearance and the Jet-Black Wing's setup is a Cliché Storm from the Battle Shounen genre.
- Calling Your Attacks: Even though he has no real attacks. He also uses this trope for mundane things.
- Chick Magnet: He's actually decently popular with girls. Two girls tried to pick him up in the Beach Chapter and he even got a chocolate for Valentine's day.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Although how much he really believes in his own fantasies is debatable.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: He's right about Kusuo having powers, but not in the way he thinks.
- Coat Cape: Uses the jacket of his school uniform like this.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Claims that Dark Reunion is behind every bad thing that happens.
- Cowardly Lion: Has the guts to protect his classmates from a runaway snake despite being utterly mortified while doing so. Even Saiki is impressed by this act of bravery.
- The Dog Bites Back: In the Valentine Day's chapter, Nendou tricks Kaidou into thinking he got a chocolate from Teruhashi and then revealed its was a joke and then even mocked him over it. But Kaidou got the last laugh when a girl comes to their class to give him a chocolate, he even takes the time to smirk in Nendou's direction.
- Friend to All Children: He's so friendly around children that he'll temporarily snap out of his Jet-Black Wing persona while talking to them.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Usually, his eyes are narrow and simplistic. Whenever he lets the Jet-Black Wing persona slip, they turn very wide and friendly.
- Jerkass Fašade: He acts arrogantly and pretentiously, but beneath his Jet-Black Wing persona, he's a nice guy.
- Handwraps of Awesome: Supposedly, it seals Black Beat's power.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Chuunibyou is caused by this.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: He desperately wants make friends, even use praying for friends on New Years.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He's rather timid, but it's hard for anyone to tell when he's acting like the arrogant Jet-Black Wing all the time.
- Large Ham: He talks like a Battle Shonen protagonist.
- Miles Gloriosus: None of his exploits as the "Jet-Black Wing" never actually happened. At least he's capable of being brave when he's in a pinch.
- Mr. Imagination: Has a severe case of Chuunibyou. He's convinced that in a previous life, he was a high level soldier of Dark Reunion who went rogue after he discovered their plans for world domination.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Usually, only one of his eyes can be seen at a time.
- Shonen Hair: It's very spikey, and likely intentional on Kaidou's part.
- Super Drowning Skills: He can't swim, and he won't get into the water without wearing an unnecessary number of life preservers. It's revealed that he can swim fairly well if it isn't pointed out that he's swimming.
- Terrible Artist: Tries to scribble down a picture of a child's lost dog based on its description. It ends up looking horrendous.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Riki Nendou, after competing with him over Saiki's companionship.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Kokomi acts nicely and kindly, but she's manipulative and hides a deep contempt for her classmates. Kusuo can see through the facade, in more ways than one.
- Born Lucky: Even Kokomi herself acknowledges this and use it to her advantage. Lampshaded by Kusuo that his attempts to foil her luck always end up futile.
- Determinator: She will stop at nothing to maintain her image.
- Fille Fatale: She's great at attracting guys and making them do what she pleases.
- Hello, Nurse!: Possibly the World's Most Beautiful Woman. In her presence, guys can't help but to stutter at her looks.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: How she interprets her growing interest in Kusuo, who seems to be the only guy immune to her charms.
- Informed Attractiveness: In her introductory chapter and onward, she doesn't stop reminding the viewer of how beautiful she thinks she is.
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is the traditional Japanese sailor fuku.
- Punny Name: "Teruhashi" is a play on the word "telepathy".
- Slave to PR: Instead of acting like an Alpha Bitch, she tries to maintain the image of being nice and kind.
- Spoiled Brat: Her true self. She can't stand the fact that unlike other guys, Saiki isn't hopelessly interested in her.
- Spoiled Sweet: Her facade.
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (Japanese), Jill Harris (English)A hopeless romantic girl with an unrequieted crush on Kusuo.
- Affectionate Parody: To lovesick, romance manga protagonists.
- Crush Filter: Whenever she imagines Saiki, he appears as a very idealistic, Bishounen love interest instead of the cynical, uninterested character that he is.
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is the traditional Japanese sailor fuku.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Kusuo, who isn't interested in her. All of her attempts to get close to him fail because he predicts every single move she makes.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: In her introductory chapter, she constantly comes up with scenarios that put her and Saiki into over-romanticized situations. Saiki, who can see these thoughts perfectly, is not amused in the slightest.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese), Kyle Phillips (English)
The over-enthusiastic Class Representative. His enthusiasm infects everyone, except Kusuo.
- Affectionate Parody: Of hot-blooded, sports manga protagonists.
- Class Representative: He's the class representative of Saiki's homeroom. As with everything he does, he's very proactive with his position.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He's the most popular guy in his class, with most guys worshipping him due to his attitude. Heck one guy even gave him a valentine chocolate! He wasn't amused.
- Fist Pump: Does this when he's coming up with a plan, fired up to do something, or after he's accomplished something. He's just that enthusiastic about everything.
- Hot-Blooded: An exaggerated version of this Trope.
- Large Ham: He will even sweat dramatically without apparent cause.
- Lovable Jock: Very athletic, and the most popular guy in the class, if not in the whole grade.
- Manly Tears: Whenever he feels moved. Sometimes also inspires others to shed them.
- No Indoor Voice: Most of whatever comes out of his mouth is delivered in a loud, over-dramatic voice.
- Nice Guy: His hot-blooded passion for just about anything may come off as intense or annoying to some people, but he has a genuine desire to make others rise to their full potential.
- Punny Name: "Hairo Kineshi" is a play on the word "Pyrokinesis".
- Running Gag: His pants fall down whenever he trips.
- Serious Business: Sports, teamwork, hard work, carrying heavy objects down a hallway...
- Shonen Hair: His hair is red and spiked up.
- Spirited Competitor: He even prayed for rival that could push him to his limits on New Years!
- Testosterone Poisoning: His fiery obsession with hard work, determination, and pushing himself (and others) to ridiculous limits is so outlandish that it crosses into comedic territory.
- Guardian Entity: Has the ability to see each person's guardian entity thanks to his powers. His own personal guardian spirit is Nenou's lazy, deceased father.
- I See Dead People: His special ability, which he's had ever since he was born.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Lampshaded by Saiki, who's surprised that someone can be so sincere and open about his own lewdness.
- New Transfer Student: Transfers to Saiki's school the day after he introduces himself to him. Saiki complains that the development is way too cliched.
- Not So Different: When his psychometry forces him to see what Toritsuka has to see every day, Saiki sympathizes with his situation.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: He tries to obtain psychic powers so that he can peep at girls to his heart's content.
Stage Name: Toru Mugami (Japanese)Kokomi's older brother and a famous teenage actor and idol. He hates Kusuo and wants to keep him away from dating his sister (because his biggest dream is marry her himself).
- Big Brother Instinct: He's extremely jealous over his little sister. But it turns out that it's because more than fraternal love.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: When nobody is around, Makoto will openly insult Kusuo and rambling about his plans of marrying Kokomi (who apparently doesn't know about any of this).
- Dissonant Serenity: He keeps a calm, upbeat attitude while insulting Kusuo and demanding he to die.
- Double Subversion: At the first it looks like Makoto is in love with Kokomi, but it turns out he's actually her brother. Then it's revealed that he's actually in love with her even so.
- Incest Subtext: It's somewhat implied that his feelings are not platonic in his first chapter. Come his second chapter, the subtext becomes text.
- Hate Sink: He's a two-faced jerk who is stalking his own younger sister.
- Refuge in Audacity: It starts with Makoto declaring that he wants to date his own sister and just gets worse from there.
- Stalker with a Crush: He's stalking his own sister since the day she was born.
- Stepford Smiler: He keeps a serene, smiling expression the most of the time.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: His insistence that Kokomi would never want anything with Saiki.
- There Are No Therapists: Lampshaded by Kusuo, who's disturbed that someone like Makoto has gone unchecked for so long.
- The Unsmile: His fake smile becomes an insane, deranged grin when he declares that he will marry Kokomi.