open/close all folders
Kusuo Saiki - Character Profile
Voiced by: Shintaro Asanuma (vomic and flash anime), Hiroshi Kamiya (TV anime) and Haruka Tomatsu (Kusuko) (Japanese), Jerry Jewell and Jamie Marchi (Kusuko) (English)The Main Character. A 16 year old boy with extremely powerful psychic powers. He could use them to effortlessly have anything he wanted, but instead opts to settle down for a peaceful and quiet life.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: They lack a good deal of common sense and are Sickeningly Sweethearts.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: His female form, Kusuko, attracts the unwanted attentions of Takahashi and his friends.
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with his desserts.
- Blessed with Suck: His powers take away many kinds of enjoyment and he hasn't complete control over them.
- Celibate Hero: Because of his powers. X-Ray Vision + Telepathy = Apathy.
- Comically Invincible Hero: His numerous powers can bail him out of virtually any undesirable situation. This doesn't stop undesirable situations from happening to him anyways.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Revealing his powers to the world will attract unwanted attention to himself.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the First-Person Smartass kind.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: If Kusuo isn't careful, people will get hurt. Badly.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: Kusuo's inner monologue is specifically addressed to the reader, but he doesn't break the Fourth Wall aloud.
- Friendless Background: His aim. His classmates don't collaborate.
- Grumpy Bear: He's very cynical despite living in a very pleasant world.
- He Who Must Not Be Heard: Whether he can't speak, won't speak or doesn't speak on screen remain to be seen.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Towards his parents. While he might find them embarrassing, especially his dad, but he does not react well to anyone mocking them.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He doesn't really want to become a normal person, but he wants to live quietly as one.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Inverted. He just wants to be alone, but his classmates keep trying be friends with him.
- I'll Kill You!: Threatens to kill Toritsuka with a sharpened roll of toilet paper if he ever reveals that he's a psychic to his classmates.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's normally cold and says some really mean things about his classmates in his head, especially about Nendou, but when it comes down to it, he'll help any of them, including Nendou.
- Medium Awareness: Possibly another of his psychic powers.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Played for Laughs and Deconstruction purposes instead Deus ex Machina.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Kusuo goes out of his way to try to avoid Kokomi and Chiyo's advances.
- Not Bad: Kusuo will never admit he actually likes something (not even coffee jello). Instead, he'll just claim that he "doesn't dislike" it.
- Not So Above It All: For all of his criticism of other characters' wackiness, Kusuo can be just as silly as any of them, especially when sweets are involved.
- Not So Stoic: Accidentally using psychometry on a person who can see ghosts causes him to look terrified.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He could easily become The Ace, but he doesn't want to stand out.
- The Omnipotent: Of the Type 5. Possibly Type 3.
- Only Sane Man: To virtually every other character in the series.
- The Paranoiac: Only when he has sealed his telepathy with his germanium ring. He's very paranoid of everyone around him having gotten used to hearing their thoughts.
- Power Incontinence: Has problems controlling his own strength (see each specific power for description). It temporarily becomes an even greater problem after Nendou briefly unplugs one of his antennae.
- Power Limiter: The antennae on his head keep his powers in check. He can also wear a germanium-alloy ring to shut-off his Telepathy, as shown when he went to a movie theater.
- Psychic Powers: Kusuo has just about every basic psychic power in the book, plus a variety of others powers that are described as psychic in origin. A list with his known powers is in a separate folder below.
- Serious Business: Anything that he "doesn't dislike", but particularly sweets.
- Shipper on Deck: He will happily pair Chiyo to any boy but him, just so she will leave him alone.
- Silent Partner: He has never been seen talking to another living being.
- The Stoic: Constantly wears a bored, deadpan expression and rarely cracks a smile. Enhanced by his Stoic Spectacles.
- Sweet Tooth: Completely obsessed about sweets, especially coffee jello.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He will do anything for coffee jello.
- Unreliable Expositor: Sometimes, Kusuo is not completely sincere in his inner monologues, both to the reader and himself. Some examples are more obvious, like his incapacity to admit he likes something or his attempts to rationalize his fear of bugs. Other are more subtle and open for interpretation.
- Why Did It Have To Be Bugs: Kusuo can't tolerate bugs because he can't read their thoughts. It isn't because they look disgusting and he doesn't want to touch them even with psychokinesis.
Kusuo Saiki - Psychic Powers
Kusuo has a big variety of powers, but every one of them is described as psychic in origin. As the series advances he keeps to reveal or discover even more of them, so the trend is that this list will just continue to grow.
- Astral Projection: He can separate his soul from his body willingly.
- Clairvoyance: By crossing his eyes, he can see and listen things happening in other places. It only works if he's visited and seen the place before in real life. A similar power, "Psychic Photography", consists of concentrating in somebody or something during one minute to draw an illustration of its present location.
- The Empath: He can tell the affection rating of a person toward someone and illustrate it as percentage value in a heart-shaped digital display.
- I See Dead People: Kusuo becomes able to see the ghost of Nendou's father, but not other ghosts as Reita, for unknown reasons.
- Invisibility: It takes a full minute of concentration to activate and lasts for 10 minutes. The effect is canceled if Saiki is touched by other people. Also, it doesn't works against people who can see ghosts.
- Jedi Mind Trick: The "Mind Control" power. Although it serves only to convince people that something unusual is not really uncommon, it's actually Kusuo's most dangerous power. If he convinces too many people that something is not unnatural, reality will actually change and not just that particular thing will become natural, it will cause a snowball effect that will affect a series of related things. Case in point, his world physics follows gag manga tropes in first place because he was careless with this power as a child.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The "Memory Removal" power can erase up to one minute of memories by delivering a strong impact to the head of the target. The downside is that the brain of the victim will automatically fill the blank by creating a completely new memory that can't chosen. Also, because his Super Strength, Kusuo needs use this power in combination with Restoration or the victim will die.
- Living Lie Detector: Comes with being able to read people's minds.
- Mass Hypnosis: Without his antenna shaped power limiter, Kusuo's Mind Control ability spans all the world.
- Master of Your Domain: Kusuo has a great control over his body functions, from sweating freely to fool others into thinking that he's putting physical effort into races and sports activities to freely dislocate, contort and reassemble each one of his joints.
- Mind over Matter: Can use his mind to move people, objects, and even himself around.
- Playing with Fire: Ranges from simply making objects feel hot to the touch to incinerating them to cinders.
- Psychic Radar: Based in to estimate the distance and position of each mental voice. 200m range.
- Psychometry: He can "see" an object's past by simply touching it; touching a person allows him to see and feel the same things they do in real time. Since it cannot be turned off, he constantly wears transparent gloves to prevent himself from seeing all of the unpleasant things associated with each object.
- Shock and Awe: Can summon lightning to just about anywhere he pleases.
- Spider-Sense: Has the ability to notice dangers and menaces before they happen.
- Super Speed: Can reach Olympic level speeds with relative ease.
- Super Strength: He has problems matching the strength level of ordinary people.
- Taken for Granite: Why he wears his glasses. Anyone that looks directly at his eyes will turn to stone for a day.
- Telepathy: Can't be shut off, causing him to have to constantly listen to others' thoughts within a 200 meter range. It doesn't work on Nendou for some reason, likely because he's an idiot. It can be shut-off by wearing a germanium-alloy ring.
- Teleporters and Transporters: He can teleport wherever he pleases, but it requires a three minute cooldown before he can use it again.
- Time Master: The "Restoration" power can turn back the time for people and objects, bringing them to a prior state. The main downside is that other people and objects nearby may be accidentally affected too. When used in people, this power doesn't affect their memories.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: With his "Transformation" power, Kusuo can change his form at will. He can turn into a woman, an animal or even aliens or inexistent beings. Completing the transformation takes two hours and has a ton of unmentioned downsides.
- Weather Manipulation: He is able to part clouds and make the sun come out during a strong downpour.
- X-Ray Vision: This power actives itself automatically after 5 seconds whenever he gazes at anything. A largely spreaded mistranslation claims that this power doesn't to work against other telepaths, but that is wrong information * .
salaryman. Immature and greedy, he has fewer scruples about how his son should use his powers.
- Butt-Monkey: His main role in the series. Besides being very unlucky, he will usually suffer the consequences of his immaturity.
- Extreme Doormat: He licks his boss' shoes (literally) whenever he commits a mistake or misses a deadline on his job.
- Fantastically Indifferent: He took the discovery of his son's power in stride.
- Happily Married: To Kurumi, his lovely wife. He usually calls her "Mama". And despite all problems (that he usually provides), they will reconcile with each other at the end.
- Just Think of the Potential: His outlook on Kusuo's powers even ponders into things like burglary. He even calls his son "Kusuemon" when he gets into trouble and wants the help of his psychic powers.
- Manchild: Acts very immature for his age.
- Salaryman: His original job, though he was mostly licking his bosses' shoes. He seems to have changed from this to a manga editor, as it looked more comfortable.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kurumi Saiki, to the annoyance of their son.
- Berserk Button: She can be very naive and can be easily approached by others, but if someone threats her family...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Becomes physically violent when she's in an argument with her husband.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Saiki actually becomes terrified when she suddenly insists that he hangs out with his friends at the beach.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Her outlook on Kusuo's powers. Usually.
- Fantastically Indifferent: She took the discovery of her son's power in stride. Her main concern was to teach him to not commit crimes with it.
- Full-Name Ultimatum: A variation. She uses the name "Kusuo" when angry, instead of the usual "Ku-chan".
- Happily Married: To Kuniharu, whom she calls "Papa". Despite all adversities (and fights that she and Kuniharu may have), they will reconcile at the end.
- Housewife: Usually stays at home and keeps the house tidy.
- Nightmare Face: When really angry, her face becomes like a Hannya Mask.
- The Pollyanna: Kurumi is very nice, optimistic, and she always thinks on the best of others. However, there are times that her good will crosses the line of Stupid Good.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kuniharu, her husband, to the annoyance of their son.
- Unstoppable Rage: If pushed far enough, she will become really violent and chase her target to a massive beatdown.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Subdues her husband with an array of wrestling moves when she's really angry.
PK Academy (Students)
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (vomic and flash anime) and Daisuke Ono (TV anime) (Japanese), David Wald (English)A really idiotic delinquent that thinks he is best friends with Kusuo. He's actually a nice guy, but his stupidity and appearance cause his good deeds to backfire.
- Always Someone Better: In terms of physical abilities, he's this to Hairo.
- Disability Superpower: He's immune to mind-reading and telepathic detection because he's so stupid that he's never thinking anything at all. He's the only person who could sneak up on Kusuo and theoretically kill him.
- Disappeared Dad: His father died before he was born. He was killed while saving a little girl from an oncoming truck.
- Dumb Is Good: He's a very nice guy and he's as dumb as brick.
- Dumb Muscle: Makes up for his low intelligence with his impressive strength.
- Face of a Thug: He's a very nice guy, but most people are either scared or disgusted with him because of his looks.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Due to his appearance, nobody wants to be around him.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He never reacts well when Kaidou is popular with the girls but they ignore him.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: How he sees his relationship with Saiki. Saiki doesn't agree.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: His singing actually caused his class to faint. Kaidou stated it was like hearing death itself.
- Identical Stranger: Downplayed, he looks nearly identical to the Baron Cola, the villain of a Kamen Riderish show.
- Japanese Delinquents: He has the looks that would make anyone think he is a bad guy or a delinquent... except that he is very nice to people. And that he is very dumb.
- Like Father, Like Son: Saiki remarks that Nendou not only looks like his dad but even acts like him.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Kaidou mistook him for one once (as he was buying flowers and doing other duties on his way), when he was actually going to visit his father's grave.
- Nice Guy: Or at least, he tries to be one. He truly is a nice guy, but his looks and intelligence make it hard for him to get the point across.
- Nightmare Face: He can easily make these even when trying to smile.
- Punny Name: "Nendou Riki" means "Telekinesis".
- Slasher Smile: Fitting his face, some of his smiles look like this.
- Strong Family Resemblance: His mother and father have the same chin, scars, and face as he does. His father looks exactly like him, hairstyle and all — it's the location of their scars what sets them apart.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen. He invites Saiki out to eat it regularly.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Shun Kaidou, after both try to win Saiki's companionship.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: How does he aid an unconscious person? By beating the shit out of him.
AKA: Jet-Black Wing
Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi (vomic and flash anime) and Nobunaga Shimazaki (TV anime) (Japanese), Micah Solusod (English)Shun Kaidou is the Secret Identity of Jet-Black Wing. Using the power of Black Beat, an godlike force imprisioned in his right arm, he fights to protect the world from the Dark Reunion, a Secret Society that plans to steal Black Beat and use its power to weed out the unnecessary elements from humankind and create a new world. Or not. Actually, Shun Kaidou just believes he's Jet-Black Wing. Yeah, he suffers from Chuunibyou despite he's already 16 years old. He also thinks Kusuo is his sidekick.
- Adorkable: Tends to come up more after learning about his home life and whenever female classmates start hitting on him.
- Affectionate Parody: His appearance and the Jet-Black Wing's setup is a Cliché Storm from the Battle Shounen genre.
- Calling Your Attacks: Even though he has no real attacks. He also uses this trope for mundane things.
- Chick Magnet: He's actually decently popular with girls. Two girls tried to pick him up in the Beach Chapter and he even got a chocolate for Valentine's day. He even got Chiyo to like him during the school trip.
- Cloudcuckoolander: It's unknown how much he really believes in his own fantasies... although there are times that he gets lost in them while ignoring what is going on around him (especially when he gets into trouble).
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: He's right about Kusuo having powers, but not in the way he thinks.
- Coat Cape: Kaidou uses the jacket of his school uniform like this, since he believes he is some kind of hero.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Claims that Dark Reunion is behind every bad thing that happens to him and his surroundings.
- Cowardly Lion: Has the guts to protect his classmates from a runaway snake despite being utterly mortified while doing so. Even Saiki is impressed by this act of bravery.
- Ditzy Genius: Despite all of his antics, Kaidou actually tests rather well during Class Exams. It makes sense since it's later revealed that Kaidou has an Education Mama.
- The Dog Bites Back: In the Valentine Day's chapter, Nendou tricks Kaidou into thinking he got a chocolate from Teruhashi and then revealed it was a joke and then even mocked him over it. But Kaidou got the last laugh when a girl comes to their class to give him a chocolate, he even takes the time to smirk in Nendou's direction.
- Friend to All Children: He's so friendly around children that he'll temporarily snap out of his Jet-Black Wing persona while talking to them.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Usually, his eyes are narrow and simplistic. Whenever he lets the Jet-Black Wing persona slip, they turn very wide and friendly.
- Handwraps of Awesome: Supposedly, it seals Black Beat's power.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Chuunibyou is caused by this.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: He desperately wants make friends, even use praying for friends on New Years.
- Incoming Ham: Whenever Kaiduo is particularly hamming it up, his Leitmotif will start playing in the background; Judgement Knights of...
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He's rather timid, but it's hard for anyone to tell when he's acting like the arrogant Jet-Black Wing all the time.
- Jerkass Fašade: He acts arrogantly and pretentiously, but beneath his Jet-Black Wing persona, he's a nice guy.
- Large Ham: He talks like a Battle Shonen protagonist.
- Miles Gloriosus: None of his exploits as the "Jet-Black Wing" never actually happened. At least he's capable of being brave when he's in a pinch.
- Mr. Imagination: Has a severe case of Chuunibyou, even though he is already in his second year of high school. He's convinced that in a previous life, he was a high level soldier of Dark Reunion who went rogue after he discovered their plans for world domination.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Usually, only one of his eyes can be seen at a time.
- Shonen Hair: It's very spikey, and likely intentional on Kaidou's part.
- Super Drowning Skills: He can't swim, and he won't get into the water without wearing an unnecessary number of life preservers. It's revealed that he can swim fairly well if it isn't pointed out that he's swimming.
- Terrible Artist: Tries to scribble down a picture of a child's lost dog based on its description. It ends up looking horrendous.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Riki Nendou, after competing with him over Saiki's companionship.
- The Ace: At least she thinks she's this, being beautiful, kind and a great singer.
- Awesome Ego: While she is really cocky about her beauty, the series has shown that she has every reason to think that. Nearly every man she meets falls head over heals for her the second they meet her. When she visited an aquarium, the fish circled around her.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Kokomi acts nicely and kindly, but she's manipulative and hides a deep contempt for her classmates. Kusuo can see through the facade, in more ways than one.
- Born Lucky: Even Kokomi herself acknowledges this and use it to her advantage. Lampshaded by Kusuo that his attempts to foil her luck always end up futile.
- Child Hater: Downplayed, she has a harder time with kids because her looks don't really affect them.
- Determinator: She will stop at nothing to maintain her image.
- Fille Fatale: She's great at attracting guys and making them do what she pleases.
- Gaussian Girl: Kokomi is so beautiful she actually has a golden aura surrounding her body at all times, giving off this effect. Except when she's upset.
- Gold Digger: Before growing interested in Saiki, she regularly stated she wanted to marry a rich man.
- Hello, Nurse!: Possibly the World's Most Beautiful Woman. In her presence, guys can't help but to stutter at her looks.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: How she interprets her growing interest in Kusuo, who seems to be the only guy immune to her charms.
- Informed Attractiveness: In her introductory chapter and onward, she doesn't stop reminding the viewer of how beautiful she thinks she is.
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is the traditional Japanese sailor fuku.
- Oblivious to Love: She has no idea that her brother has feelings for her beyond familial.
- Phrase Catcher: Whenever a guy excluding Saiki first sees her, they say "oh wow".
- Punny Name: "Teruhashi" is a play on the word "telepathy".
- School Idol: Easily the most popular student.
- Slave to PR: Instead of acting like an Alpha Bitch, she tries to maintain the image of being nice and kind.
- Spoiled Brat: Her true self. She can't stand the fact that unlike other guys, Saiki isn't hopelessly interested in her.
- Spoiled Sweet: Her facade.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Her crush on Saiki and her friendships with the rest of cast, make it so she does care about someone else besides herself. But she's still pretty spoiled.
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (Japanese), Jill Harris (English)A hopeless romantic girl with an unrequited crush on Kusuo. She later falls for Kaidou.
- Affectionate Parody: To lovesick, romance manga protagonists.
- Crush Filter: Whenever she imagines Saiki, he appears as a very idealistic, Bishounen love interest instead of the cynical, uninterested character that he is. It happens to her as well when she falls for Kaidou... sometimes, even for worse.
- In Love with Love: It's very easy for her to fall for guys with the implication being she just wants to be in a relationship. Saiki compares her to a chick that imprints on the nearest thing.
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is the traditional Japanese sailor fuku.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Kusuo, who isn't interested in her. All of her attempts to get close to him fail because he predicts every single move she makes.
- Mr. Imagination: Gender flipped example, when she tried to lie about her weight, her monologue starts to approach Kaidou level of ham.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: How she feels when comparing her looks to Teruhashi.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She later falls for Kaidou when he stands up for her in the school trip.
- Sweet Tooth: Chiyo enjoys sweets (though it isn't compared to Kusuo's obsession to them), and she often worries if she gained weight or not (especially when she compares her own body to Teruhashi's).
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: In her introductory chapter, she constantly comes up with scenarios that put her and Saiki into over-romanticized situations. Saiki, who can see these thoughts perfectly, is not amused in the slightest.
- Weight Woe: She's very worried about her weight, doesn't help she has a pretty big sweet teeth.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese), Kyle Phillips (English)
The over-enthusiastic Class Representative. His enthusiasm infects everyone, except Kusuo.
- 100% Adoration Rating: Hairo's classmates adore him and are willing to go above and beyond for events like Sports Challenges and the School Festival just because he motivates them. Even Saiki finds it hard to half-ass things like he normally does just because of how passionate Kineshi is.
- The Ace: Both a sports wiz and academically gifted.
- Affectionate Parody: Of hot-blooded, sports manga protagonists.
- Ambiguously Gay: Chapter 135 has Kaidou and Kuboyasu and even Saiki curious over his sexual orientation due to the fact he's the only male besides Saiki to not care about Teruhashi's looks, he's very popular with men and is nude a lot. The chapter ends with the cast giving up trying to figure it out. Though he admits he hasn't fallen in love before so he might be a case of ambiguously asexual.
- Chaste Hero: He seems to be the only guy, other than Saiki, not affected by Teruhashi's looks. Mostly because he's too focused on sports. He even admits he hasn't fallen in love before.
- Class Representative: He's the class representative of Saiki's homeroom. As with everything he does, he's very proactive with his position.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He's the most popular guy in his class, with most guys worshipping him due to his attitude. One guy even gave him a valentine chocolate, and he wasn't amused by it.
- Fist Pump: Does this when he's coming up with a plan, fired up to do something, or after he's accomplished something. He's just that enthusiastic about everything.
- Genius Bruiser: Ranked in the top 10 during the School's Midterms.
- Hot-Blooded: An exaggerated version of this trope. He is so hot-blooded, that his body sweats heat in the middle of a cold winter.
- Large Ham: He will even sweat dramatically without apparent cause.
- Lovable Jock: Very athletic, and the most popular guy in the class, if not in the whole grade.
- Manly Tears: Whenever he feels moved. There are times that he also inspires others to shed them.
- Nice Guy: His hot-blooded passion for just about anything may come off as intense or annoying to some people, but he has a genuine desire to make others rise to their full potential.
- No Indoor Voice: Most of whatever comes out of his mouth is delivered in a loud, over-dramatic voice.
- Not So Above It All: Hairo can get too competitive to the point of willing to play dirty to win.
- Punny Name: "Hairo Kineshi" is a play on the word "Pyrokinesis".
- Running Gag: His pants fall down whenever he trips.
- Serious Business: Sports, teamwork, hard work, carrying heavy objects down a hallway...
- Shonen Hair: His hair is red and spiked up.
- Spirited Competitor: He even prayed for a rival that could push him to his limits on New Year! He even found one in Nando.
- Testosterone Poisoning: His fiery obsession with hard work, determination, and pushing himself (and others) to ridiculous limits is so outlandish that it crosses into comedic territory.
- Unknown Rival: Considers Nendou to be his sports rival after losing to him in 4 out 5 of the Fitness exams. Nendou being Nendou is completely oblivious to this fact.
- Foil: For Saiki. While Saiki has regularly shown disdain for his powers, refusing to use them for his own benefit and overall trying to keep a low profile, Toritsuka is the exact opposite. He loves trying to use his powers for his own benefit which is usually to gain popularity.
- Guardian Entity: Has the ability to see each person's guardian entity thanks to his powers. His own personal guardian spirit is Nendou's lazy, deceased father.
- I See Dead People: His special ability, which he's had ever since he was born.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Lampshaded by Saiki, who's surprised that someone can be so sincere and open about his own lewdness.
- New Transfer Student: Transfers to Saiki's school the day after he introduces himself to him. Saiki complains that the development is way too cliched.
- Not So Different: When his psychometry forces him to see what Toritsuka has to see every day, Saiki sympathizes with his situation.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: He regularly attempts to use his powers for his own benefit from trying to peep at girls to his heart's content, getting them to fall for him or cheating on tests.
- Useless Useful Spell: As a medium, Toritsuka is only capable of seeing and communicating with spirits. He doesn't actually know how to exorcise them.
Voiced by: Maaya Uchida (Japanese), Megan Shipman (English)A poor high schooler that is forced to work part-time to support her entire family. Since working as a part-timer is forbidden for students in PK Academy, Kusuo brainwashed everyone in thinking that part-time jobs (at least for PK Academy's students) was very normal (after she was found out by their homeroom teacher, Matsuzaki), to help her in keep maintaining her family.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Mera has a thicker frame than Kokomi or Chiyo. Despite that, the series avoids going into Hollywood Pudgy territory. During the Beach Episode, Mera gets a longer glamour shot than either Kokomi or Chiyo, with the male classmates admitting they love her curves.
- Big Eater: Since she is very poor, when she gets invited to eat something (or when she sees food samplings), expect her to eat a lot of that.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Although she gives her best efforts in working as a part-timer in Café Mami, she often breaks the dishes in the process.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: She has several jobs to sustain her family — she works at the Café, as a morning newspaper and milk delivery girl, at the nighttime gas station, in a Chinese restaurant, in a diner, in a lunch shop, as a babysitter, at paper flower making, and tutoring... just to mention some of them.
- Riches to Rags: Mera's family was originally filthy rich. One day, her dad's business went under and her entire family became extremely poor because of that. Not long after, Mr. Chisato abandoned them and her mom got sick. And since she has little siblings, she is the only one who has to sustain her entire family on her own.
Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (English)A former delinquent who wants to live as normal as possible when he is transferred to PK Academy.
- Audience Surrogate: Kyboyasu's introduction episode had him reacting to the quirky students of Saiki's class much like an audience member would.
- Badass Biker: He owns a motorcycle that he used to ride when he was with the Espers, his old gang. He still rides it from time to time.
- Blatant Lies: As a way to hide his punk habits, Aren tells very obvious lies to cover his acts in front of everyone, and they buy them (except Kusuo, obviously). Once Kaidou finds out that Aren was a punk, he stops lying to him and his friends (Saiki and Nendou).
- Blood Knight: He actually enjoys fighting.
- Bully Hunter: Ends up beating the crap out of some delinquents who were trying to accost Kaidou.
- Face of a Thug: Although his normal self's face looks very plain, if someone pisses him off, his face becomes very scary.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He tries his best to fit in PK Academy and tries to act normal, but he gets pissed off too easily by other people.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: The reason he transferred to PK Academy, although it's very hard to put his old habits behind him.
- Japanese Delinquents: Aren used to be a delinquent, but his habits never die as soon as he gets provoked to use his knuckles. He is the former leader of a gang called the Espers, and his parents were also full-time delinquents (in their youth) as him, so he went through their same way of life as he grew a mullet.
- New Transfer Student: He comes from an all-boys high school that was full of delinquents just like him. One day, he realized that he was tired of stepping on his own (mullet) hair, so he wanted to graduate from being a punk.
- Nice Guy: Despite his former Deliquent status and his struggles to get along with his new classmates, Aren is actually rather nice, and ends up joining Saiki's circle of friends.
- No Social Skills: Due to his history as a delinquent, he has no idea how regular people act at all.
- Punny Name: "Kuboyasu Aren" is an anagram for the Japanese spelling of the English word "clairvoyance" ("kureaboyansu").
- Rapunzel Hair: He grew a mullet ever since he was a kid. When Aren was 15 years old, it grew enough to reach the floor. A deconstruction too, Aren got sick of the fact it grew so long that he would step on it.
- Younger Than They Look: His former look as a delinquent made him look older than he was supposed to be (15 years old). If he gets shirtless, his scarred and buff torso would agree with that statement as well.
Stage Name: Toru Mugami
Voiced by: Tomoaki Maeno (Japanese), Brandon McInnis (English)Kokomi's older brother and a famous teenage actor and idol. He hates Kusuo and wants to keep him away from dating his sister (because his biggest dream is marry her himself).
- Big Brother Instinct: He's extremely jealous over his little sister. But it turns out that it's more than fraternal love.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: When nobody is around, Makoto will openly insult Kusuo and rambling about his plans of marrying Kokomi (who apparently doesn't know about any of this).
- Dissonant Serenity: He keeps a calm, upbeat attitude while insulting Kusuo and demanding he die.
- Double Subversion: At the first it looks like Makoto is in love with Kokomi, but it turns out he's actually her brother. Then it's revealed that he's actually in love with her despite this fact.
- Incest Subtext: It's somewhat implied that his feelings are not platonic in his introduction. Come his second chapter, and the subtext becomes text.
- Hate Sink: He's a two-faced jerk who is stalking his own younger sister.
- Refuge in Audacity: It starts with Makoto declaring that he wants to date his own sister and just gets worse from there.
- Stalker With a Crush: He has been stalking his own sister since the day she was born.
- Stepford Smiler: He keeps a serene, smiling expression the most of the time.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: His insistence that Kokomi would never want anything with Saiki.
- There Are No Therapists: Lampshaded by Kusuo, who's disturbed that someone like Makoto has gone unchecked for so long.
- The Unsmile: His fake smile becomes an insane, deranged grin when he declares that he will marry Kokomi.