Today's weather: Cloudy with a chance of divine fury. Bring umbrellas.
"All the power of the storm, from all the world, flows through my veins, and can be summoned by mine hammer at any time, wherever it is. A lightning storm in Japan? Mine. A hurricane off the coast of Barbados? Mine again. A brace of tornadoes in Kansas? Aye... mine. All that might, all that destructive force, mine to command. Channeled and guided through the mystic might of this hammer, guided right at thee!"
The ability to manipulate the weather. It is a stock superpower
This usually includes Elemental Powers
, Blow You Away
, Making a Splash
, An Ice Person
, Shock and Awe
and thermal manipulation. Storm manipulation is very versatile. For example, using the wind, some storm manipulators can fly
. And, as everyone knows, Lightning Can Do Anything
Sometimes these powers are used for Painting the Frost on Windows
. The difference between Elemental Powers
and storm manipulation, is that storm manipulation is limited to the elements
that make up a storm. Compare with Weather Control Machine
, where you need a dash of phlebotinum
to achieve the same ends.
Anime and Manga
Folklore and Fairy Tales
- One Piece: Nami's Clima Tact gives her the ability to manipulate the weather.
- Cardcaptor Sakura: The Storm card that has the ability to create Tornadoes and summons huge rainstorm.
- Fate Testarossa, as well as her mother Presea, demonstrated the ability to conjure thunderstorms in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. However, Fate rarely uses this, preferring more local applications of her lightning-based abilities. The last time this showed up was during one of the manga chapters leading to Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, where she manipulates the weather to summon natural lightning that gets around the Anti-Magilink Field of a group of Gadget Drones.
- Darui uses Storm Release by combining water release and lightning release.
- The Juubi can actually create an entire storm system, filled with lighning, rain, and dozens of tornados, in a split second after merely Powering up.
- Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. Groudon's storm manipulation is limited to creating Sunlight. Kyogre has the ability to create rain and lightning. Rayquaza has the power to negate the powers of the two others.
- Mewtwo also initiates a big storm in the movie.
- Toshiro and Chojiro's Zanpakuto have this power in Bleach. Toshiro's crosses with An Ice Person because his ability to create a snow storm is based on his general ice power.
- Wes Bluemarine/Domenico Pucci AKA Weather Report and later Emporio Alnińo using Weather's disc from JoJosBizarreAdventure can use his weather-manipulating Weather Report to create small clouds, rain, lightning, increase the power of his fist by adding atmosferic layers to them, make air suits to prevent suffocation, summon tornados, feel the air around him, rain frogs, rearrange the ozone layer so that light refracts in an angle that enable to place subliminal messages on sunlight and make oxygen toxic.
- The Snow Queen: Although, as her name suggests, she's limited to manipulating Snow and Ice.
- Mother Nature is responsible for everything that happens in nature; naturally this includes the waeather.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians:
- Zeus and his children, again, like classical mythology except the children have the same powers.
- In addition, Poseidon and his children have this ability, but they're limited to Sea-Storms.
- Tris, the weather-witch from the Circle of Magic novels. Her book is even called "The Power in the Storm" in the British edition.
- Cyclone and Mistral from Wild Cards are wind-controllers.
- Played for laughs in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, wherein one very minor character (a trucker named Rob Mc Kenna) is, unbeknownst to himself, a rain god, with the power that it always rains wherever he is. Always.
- Septimus Heap: DomDaniel uses a storm to try and sink the boat of the protagonists in Magyk.
- In Ruth Frances Long's The Treachery of Beautiful Things, the storm that blows up when she is in the cottage is attributed to the piper.
Religion and Mythology
- In a Story Arc in Peanuts, Linus discovers he has the power to end rainstorms by singing "Rain rain go away/Come again some other day." He's really freaked out by it.
- Most religions have at least one Weather God, and the Weather God is frequently the most powerful or one of the most powerful gods in their Pantheon. Set, in particular is the Ur Example.
- Jesus calmed a storm in The Bible.
- Japanese Mythology: Yuki-onna translate to 'snow woman' and thus their responsibility. There's also Susanoo.
- Slavic Mythology held that certain people are born with the power to control weather. Sometimes it was as mundane as conducting a ritual on the field, sometimes involved the spirit leaving the body to combat evil weather spirits and dragons in the sky.
- Villains And Vigilantes, The Weather Control power allows a character to summon a variety of weather types, each of which gives appropriate attack forms (e.g. a blizzard gives Ice Powers, obscures vision and causes high winds).
- In Warcraft one of the three elements of the Orcish shamans is "Storm".
- In the Champions supplement "The Coriolis Effect" the heroine Coriolis was given a variety of powers that effectively allowed her to control the weather over a wide area.
- Dungeons & Dragons: The Control Weather spell allowed general changes in the weather, such as the degree of cloudiness/precipitation, how hot or cool it was and the wind strength. The Weather Summoning spell allowed the caster to call up a specific type of weather such as a blizzard, tornado, thunderstorm or hurricane.
- In Mage: The Awakening, weather manipulation is part of Forces magic. At increasing levels of skill a mage can call down lightning from an existing storm, create or dismiss storm systems, and at Mastery create hurricanes or tornadoes.
- BIONICLE: Elemental Powers such as Ice, Air and Water can be used to manipulate the weather in regards to the power. It should be noted that Lewa and Gali combine their powers at one point (Air and Water respectively) in order to create a huge hurricane-like storm in the middle of an island. It's useful for taking out a horde of foes.
- Touhou: Tenshi Hinanawi has a sword that gives her this ability.
- Although his actual control is limited, in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and its sequel Majora's Mask, Link can make it rain anywhere (even, sometimes, inside), by playing the Song of Storms.
- Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are embodiments of land, sea, and sky, respectively. Groudon can summon heavy sunlight, Kyogre can summon rain, and Rayquaza can nullify existing weathers.
- The Vulpix, Hippopotas, and Snover lines, as well as Politoed and Tyranitar, can summon various weathers; sun and rain as mentioned, but also sandstorms and hailstorms.
- Castform can use all weather-summoning moves, transforms in the presence of weather, and had a Signature Move that altered with the weather.
- Psyduck and Golduck have access to an ability with the same effect as Rayquaza's.
- The Shaman class in World of Warcraft have several Storm-based spells. Lightning Bolt, Thunderstorm, and Healing Rain just to name a few.