The Archangel Raphael is one of the seven Archangels mentioned in The Bible, specifically in The Book of Tobit, (which not all religious groups consider to be canon). He is seen as a healer and guide, acting as an assistant to Death, as his Traveler persona, on some occasions. He is also seen in the Islamic faith as the trumpet blower for death, replacing Archangel Gabriel. Along with Archangel Gabriel and Archangel Michael, Raphael is one of the three archangels recognised by the Catholic Church, while Michael is the only archangel named in Biblical books that everyone considers canon.note Raphael is associated with the element of water, and one of the most common images of him according to Wikipedia is of him holding a water flask. As water is associated with healing and life, it is fitting that he is the patron saint of doctors. He's sometimes also associated with air and is depicted with a bow and arrow. According to some sources, he is also a regent of the sun. He is the equivalent of The Medic in Real Life. Subtrope of Celestial Paragons and Archangels. See his brethren in Archangel Michael, Archangel Gabriel, Archangel Uriel, and (possibly) the Fallen Angel version in Archangel Lucifer, aka Satan. Also take a look at Our Angels Are Different.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Shaman King, he is the guardian ghost of John Denbat.
- Raphael is one of the four archangels in the card game from King Of Cards.
- He appears in Angel Sanctuary, where he is the greatest healer alive and the only one with the power to truly bring back the dead. He's also a giant sleaze. (At first anyway)
- I'm Gonna Be an Angel!: Mikael's teacher.
- In A Certain Magical Index, he is the patron of Terra of the Left and the source of his powers.
- Name-dropped by Issei in High School Dx D, but has yet to full appear in the story. He's one of The Four Great Seraphim, the Leaders of Heaven (due to God being dead and all that)
- He's Aziraphale's adopted father in the Good Omens fan fic Manchester Lost. Kind, loving and a little bit ditzy, nevertheless, do NOT threaten Aziraphale if you plan on living. He's still an Archangel, and he will show you why.
- Raphael is referenced in Sonic X: Dark Chaos as one of four Archangels (himself, Gabriel, Michael, and Tephiroth) who lead the military forces of the Angel Federation. Because of his pacifistic nature, he is in charge of civil engineering and the federal economy.
- Appears in Paradise Lost to re-warn Adam not to eat the fruit. It didn't work. Some think he is the Author Avatar for Milton here.
- In the first novella from the fantasy anthology Women of the Apocalypse, the archangel is charged to help Alexandra defeat Pestilence.
- In the novel To Reign in Hell, influenced by Paradise Lost, Raphael and Michael help Yaweh as he oversees all of Heaven.
- Shadowmancer (The Moral Substitute to Harry Potter) has Raphael as a misanthropic angel who goes by the alias Abram Rickards and who joins the protagonists in the last part of the book.
- Appears as a major character (in opposition to Lucifer) in R. A. MacAvoy's fantasy trilogy Damiano, Damiano's Lute and Raphael.
- He appears, along with Michael and Gabriel, in I, Lucifier. Since Lucifier is narrating, he doesn't receive much in the way of characterisation.
- Mentioned in passing by Mab in Small Favor. He is referred to as the Demon Binder, and that he likes to take matters into his own hands. In addition, Lasciel recognizes his style in the wards on Michael's safehouse.
- One of the leaders of the Archangel Council in Dora Wilk Series, he fulfills his role of healer, as well as story's Big Bad.
- Raphael hasn't shown up yet in Ro Te O's successor Resurrected Angels: Rebirth but Word of God has hinted heavily that they will appear as a Yamato Nadeshiko-type girl,to balance out the mostly male cast. She has water powers but whether she will fill in the role of The Medic is unknown.
- Appears as a major character in the "Penryn and the End of Days" trilogy.
- One of the four archangels in Supernatural. Not as important as his brothers Michael, Gabriel and Lucifer at first, he becomes one of the main villains of season 6, where he wants to restart the Apocalypse.
- A particularly unsympathetic version appears as Ella's mentor in Hex. He acts completely ruthlessly towards her and everybody else, and gives rather creepy proto-"pick-up artist" romantic advice to Leon, before well and truly putting himself on the "evil" side by trying to rape her. She grabs him painfully by the balls, and he subsides before disappearing from the plot with no explanation.
- Obviously he doesn't actually appear in Criminal Minds since it's not a fantasy show, but the killer in "The Big Game/Revelations" is a man with three different personalities, one of whom is supposed to be the Archangel Raphael. This personality is a very bad man.
- The main focus of The Watcher, where he cuts off his wings for a human named Sarah, who dies, leaving Raphael to wander as a Fallen Angel.
- In Xena: Warrior Princess, Raphael is a good friend of Michael's, with whom he watched over the other angels of Heaven.
- Touched by an Angel has a Raphael, played by Alexis Cruz (eventually better known as Skaara.) It's unknown, though, if he is the Raphael.
- On Dominion, it's been confirmed Raphael exists, though he's yet to appear, with Michael stating that he's declared neutrality in the war between humanity and Gabriel's forces. He is also mentioned as being Uriel's twin being created at the same time.
Mythology and Religion
- The Bible of course, with the Book of Tobit and its adaptations (as "Tobias and the Angel").
- The Archangel Raphael is prominently missing from the ranks of Heaven in Steve Jackson Games' In Nomine. Canonically, Raphael (the Elohite Archangel of Knowledge) died in 1008 CE in the battle against Legion, the Demon Prince of Corruption. However, a sidebar in one of the supplements hints that there may be more to the story, that Raphael did not die outright but instead suffered the loss of all her Celestial forces to became a Remnant — effectively a Corporeal "ghost" of a former angel — and that the amnesiac Remnant became the Renaissance artist Raphael.
- In the german RPG "Engel" (Angel) the archangel Raphael sends his angelic servants to heal the wounded and support the fight of the Angelitische Kirche against the demons send by the Lord of Flies. They have healing powers depending on their rank and age from healing minor wounds to regrow severed limbs and reviving the death. They discovered that it is possible to use their powers in reverse, enabling the most powerful of Raphaels Angels to turn their enemies to dust with a mere touch. And still the angels send by Gabriel refer to themselves as Deathangels...
- One of the seven Beryls in Anima: Beyond Fantasy and female as all but one of them. She is equalled with the Mother Nature, encarnating life and -of course- nature.
- Raphael is a nerdy scientist angel in Holy Bibble. Unlike many of the other angels, he is one of the few who appears to actually be genuinely nice.
- Raphael is a minor character in Deities. In the comic his nickname is Ralph. According to Word of God he's God's medic, masseur, chiropractor, etc. and he hates his job more than anyone else in the Deities' universe.
- Anachronauts: Raphael is the true source of British steam.