The Archangel Raphael is one of the seven Archangels mentioned in The Bible
, specifically in The Book of Tobit, (which not all religious groups consider to be canon
). He is seen as a healer and guide, acting as an assistant to Death, as his Traveler persona, on some occasions. He is also seen in the Islamic faith as the trumpet blower for death, replacing Archangel Gabriel
. Along with Archangel Gabriel
and Archangel Michael
, Raphael is one of the three a
rchangels recognised by the Catholic Church, while Michael is the only archangel named in Biblical books that everyone
Raphael is associated with the element of water, and one of the most common images of him according to Wikipedia
is of him holding a water flask. As water is associated with healing and life, it is fitting that he is the patron saint of doctors. He's sometimes also associated with air and is depicted with a bow and arrow. According to some sources, he is also a regent of the sun.
He is the equivalent of The Medic
in Real Life
Subtrope of Celestial Paragons and Archangels
. See his brethren in Archangel Michael
, Archangel Gabriel
, Archangel Uriel
, and (possibly) the Fallen Angel
version in Archangel Lucifer, aka Satan
. Also take a look at Our Angels Are Different
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Shaman King, he is the guardian ghost of John Denbat.
- Raphael is one of the four archangels in the card game from King of Cards.
- He appears in Angel Sanctuary, where he is the greatest healer alive and the only one with the power to truly bring back the dead. He's also a giant sleaze. (At first anyway)
- Tenshi Ni Narumon: Mikael's teacher.
- In A Certain Magical Index, he is the patron of Terra of the Left and the source of his powers.
- Gabriel: known for his leadership skills, the Archangel Raphael is impeded from fighting the war in purgatory only after he receives a near fatal bullet wound.
- He appeared in the 1960 german adaptation of Faust.
- The 2005 movie Darkest Days.
- Darkest Adversary
- Appears in Paradise Lost to re-warn Adam not to eat the fruit. It didn't work. Some think he is the Author Avatar for Milton here.
- In the first novella from the fantasy anthology Women of the Apocalypse, the archangel is charged to help Alexandra defeat Pestilence.
- In the novel To Reign in Hell, influenced by Paradise Lost, Raphael and Michael help Yaweh as he oversees all of Heaven.
- Shadowmancer (The Moral Substitute to Harry Potter) has Raphael as a misanthropic angel who goes by the alias Abram Rickards and who joins the protagonists in the last part of the book.
- Appears as a major character (in opposition to Lucifer) in R. A. MacAvoy's fantasy trilogy Damiano, Damiano's Lute and Raphael.
- He appears, along with Michael and Gabriel, in I, Lucifier. Since Lucifier is narrating, he doesn't receive much in the way of characterisation.
- Mentioned in passing by Mab in Small Favor. He is referred to as the Demon Binder, and that he likes to take matters into his own hands. In addition, Lasciel recognizes his style in the wards on Michael's safehouse.
- One of the leaders of the Archangel Council in Dora Wilk Series, he fulfills his role of healer, as well as story's Big Bad.
- One of the four archangels in Supernatural. Not as important as his brothers Michael, Gabriel and Lucifer at first, he becomes one of the main villains of season 6, where he wants to restart the Apocalypse.
- Ella's mentor in Hex.
- Obviously he doesn't actually appear in Criminal Minds since it's not a fantasy show, but the killer in "The Big Game/Revelations" is a man with three different personalities, one of whom is supposed to be the Archangel Raphael. This personality is a very bad man.
- The main focus of The Watcher, where he cuts off his wings for a human named Sarah, who dies, leaving Raphael to wander as a Fallen Angel.
- In Xena: Warrior Princess, Raphael is a good friend of Michael's, with whom he watched over the other angels of Heaven.
- Touched by an Angel has a Raphael, played by Alexis Cruz (eventually better known as Skaara.) It's unknown, though, if he is the Raphael.
- On Dominion, it's been confirmed Raphael exists, though he's yet to appear, with Michael stating that he's declared neutrality in the war between humanity and Gabriel's forces. He is also mentioned as being Uriel's twin being created at the same time.
Mythology and Religion
- The Bible of course, with the Book of Tobit and its adaptations (as "Tobias and the Angel").
- The Archangel Raphael is prominently missing from the ranks of Heaven in Steve Jackson Games' In Nomine. Canonically, Raphael (the Elohite Archangel of Knowledge) died in 1008 CE in the battle against Legion, the Demon Prince of Corruption. However, a sidebar in one of the supplements hints that there may be more to the story, that Raphael did not die outright but instead suffered the loss of all her Celestial forces to became a Remnant — effectively a Corporeal "ghost" of a former angel — and that the amnesiac Remnant became the Renaissance artist Raphael.
- In the german RPG "Engel" (Angel) the archangel Raphael sends his angelic servants to heal the wounded and support the fight of the Angelitische Kirche against the demons send by the Lord of Flies. They have healing powers depending on their rank and age from healing minor wounds to regrow severed limbs and reviving the death. They discovered that it is possible to use their powers in reverse, enabling the most powerful of Raphaels Angels to turn their enemies to dust with a mere touch. And still the angels send by Gabriel refer to themselves as Deathangels...