"Grrr, I am evil. And you suck." (art by Quantum Witch)Manchester Lost
is a very funny Good Omens Crack Fic
/ Action Adventure
/ (non-explicit) Slash Fic
in which Aziraphale is captured by Hell and Crowley, War and the Archangel Michael (on a Mission from God
) break in to save him and set off a second apocalypse. It introduces entertaining characterizations
of other angels such as Michael, Raphael (Aziraphale's adopted father), Gabriel, and Uriel.
It's a self parodying Affectionate Parody
with many interesting twists and turns along the way.
It is technically a sequel to How Crowley Fell Out of Love with the Bentley
(which is a sequel to Good Omens
). Manchester Lost has a sequel itself, which is complete: Paradise Thwarted
. Now Paradise Thwarted
has its own page too!
Warning: Spoilers ahead!
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Accidental Marriage: Aziraphale's last name has technically been 'Crowley' for the past 500 years or so; they both thought that the other had arranged the divorce.
- Action Girl: Sister Prudence.
- Aerith and Bob: Names of angels and demons varies from Aziraphale, Crowley, Beelzebub and Steve.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Young Aziraphale. He was a bit of a nerd.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents - Raphael.
- Archangel Gabriel: Poor guy is Surrounded by Idiots.
- Archangel Michael: At least someone is having fun.
- Author Appeal: Anime, music, RPGs, etc.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Lucifer.
- Ax-Crazy: Uriel.
- Back from the Dead: Aziraphale and Crowley.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Gabriel and Michael, Michael and War briefly.
- Bad Boss: God and Lucifer. God gets a Pet the Dog moment / becomes a Benevolent Boss at the end.
- Badass Family
- Badass Normal: Sister Prudence.
- Basement-Dweller: Brian.
- The Berserker - Michael, War, Moloch.
- Berserk Button: The only time Raphael is anything other than patient and kind to the other archangels is when they seem to be treating Aziraphale's death as a triviality.
- Beware the Nice Ones - One of Hell's very few rules.
- Big Damn Heroes - Many moments, often subverted.
- Bond Villain Stupidity - Lucifer.
- Chekhov's Gun: The chocolate muffin Rafael tucks away after the Archangels visit the diner in chapter 8 resurfaces when he shoves it in Uriel's mouth after the latter attempts to smite Zira in chapter 15. May double as a Brick Joke or a Chekhov's Gag depending on the reader's sense of humor.
- Childhood Friend Romance - Kireawel/Crowley in some respects, to Aziraphale.
Uriel: I can't believe you just killed Lucifer!
- Cold-Blooded Torture: It wouldn't be Hell without it.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience - Demons tend to have darker wings in this ficverse.
- Colossus Climb
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: "Now that's just overkill."
- Crack Fic: Part of the charm.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Uriel may be a childish Cloudcuckoolander most of the time, but if he thinks you need to be smitten...
- Crowd Song: Don't Stop Believin', which the angels use to defeat Satan.
- Crucified Hero Shot: Zira ties Crowley to a tree in this position so he won't be able to do anything.
- Cute and Psycho: War.
- Daddy's Girl - Jesus and War.
- Darkest Hour
- Deadpan Snarker - Crowley, Gabriel.
- Deus ex Machina
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? - Crowley punched Lucifer - In the FACE!!!
- Divided We Fall
- Doting Parent: Raphael thinks that just about everything his little Zizi does is amazing and adorable.
- The Dragon: A real dragon and Beelzebub, both for Lucifer.
- Dream Sequence: Crowley's hallucinations.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Aziraphale and Crowley get together, Crowley Rises, and everyone ends up happy. But boy did they have to go through hell first. Literally, at one point.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Anethema and Newton's three-year-old twins, Aziraphale and Bentley.
- Emergency Transformation: For Aziraphale and Crowley at the end.
- Everyone Went to School Together
- Evil Makeover: Subverted with Aziraphale/Zira; after he Falls, he starts looking more "evil", but his behavior doesn't actually change.
- Everyone Can See It: Even the Bentley ships Aziraphale and Crowley. And so does God.
- Fallen Hero - Subverted with Aziraphale, see What You Are in the Dark.
- Fangirl: Uriel is Gabriel's fangirl. Yes, Uriel is male.
- Faustian Rebellion
- Faux Affably Evil - Lucifer
- Fire-Forged Friends - Crowley, Michael, and War.
- Five-Man Band / The Squad:
- The Hero - Aziraphale, Adam, Michael (at least he thinks he is), Crowley (in the To Hell and Back arc)
- The Lancer - Crowley, Gabriel, Zira, Foil characters flip positions, dies for the cause
- The Big Guy - Michael, Uriel, War, Sister Prudence
- The Smart Guy - Raphael, Aziraphale, Crowley (resident expert in the To Hell and Back arc), Gabriel, Anathema, Newt, and their kids.
- The Chick / The Heart - Raphael, Aziraphale, Jesus, most human characters.
- Sixth Ranger - Crowley to the pre-established warrior angels "family"�.
- The Medic - Raphael
- Mentor - Raphael
- Tagalong Kid - Skuzz
- Plucky Comic Relief - Aziraphale, Uriel
- Flanderization: Crowley and Aziraphale's respective Good Angel, Bad Angels are basically Flanderized versions of the characters they represent.
- Foe-Tossing Charge - Through Hell, then through Manchester.
- A Friend in Need
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Good Angel, Bad Angel - Crowley has Inner Aziraphale and Inner Hastur, Aziraphale has Inner Raphael and Inner Crowley.
- Good Is Not Nice
Raphael to Lucifer:
"And I know you have a very strong fondness for... er... sharp, pointy things, and so help me Light-Bringer but if you don't let me keep this child
I will mount your immortal head on one of those sharp pointy things outside my office as a reminder to everyone that even though I am the Healer I am not
- Then there's Uriel's Righteous Smiting. He cares not who the sinner is, or was, or who might care about him/her.
- Happy Place
- Has Two Daddies - War.
- The Heart: Raphael, to the rest of the archangels. He is the healer, after all. At one point he notes that without his stabilizing influence they'd probably be a lot less sane than they are.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend / Transparent Closet
- The mood lightener after Aziraphale's torture; Crowley feels the need to remind War "He is not my mate!"
- Here We Go Again -
Bikers of the Apocalyse Warrior Angels of the Apocalyse and Skuzz
- Heroic BSOD - Aziraphale for a while during and after being tortured and going to his "Happy Place." Crowley after Aziraphale/Zira dies.
- Heroic Sacrifice - Aziraphale/Zira
- Hero Stole My Bike - When the Four Archangels "borrow" some motorcycles. "Itís not stealing if youíre On a Holy Mission."
- Hey, That's My Line! - "Ciao."
- Hippie Jesus: Jesus come in as a 'Southern Hippy'.
- I Shall Taunt You / Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?
- I Want Grandkids - "Run!"
- Idiot Ball - Now Zira, you promise you won't try and escape?
- Ignored Enemy
- I'm Standing Right Here
- Insult Backfire
- Irritation Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery - No, Michael isn't taking fashion tips from Crowley, not at all.
- Kill It with Fire - There's Hellfire, and then there's Sister Prudence's Blessed Napalm.
- Knight Templar - The Order of Our Most Holy Lady of the Righteous Smiting
- Lampshade Hanging - Lots; it's a lot of Snark and Self-Parody
- Large Ham
Michael: Wait, it needs something. Wait, I know - ambiance!
Music: You're the best, around! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down!
- Lawful Stupid, Chaotic Stupid - Raphael (Stupid Good), most of the angels (Lawful Stupid), Moloch most of the demons (Stupid Evil)
- Locked in a Freezer
- Man on Fire / Incendiary Exponent - Zira kills Beelzebub while lit on holy fire, much to Michael's pride and jealousy that he died so awesomely
- Mars Needs Women: How do angels reproduce anyway?
- Messenger: Gabriel is THE Messenger.
- Meta Guy: Brian.
- Mission from God
- Mood Whiplash: One scene has some characters battle Lucifer, and one of them becomes exhausted and falls down. The gripping suspense is somewhat broken as the author inserts the following note:
His face looked like this: X_X
- More Hero Than Thou
- Musical Episode
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Nice job opening a portal that connects Hell and Earth that can't be closed, dumbass.
- No Social Skills: Those entities that haven't been on Earth for very long aren't aware of appropriate human behavior.
- Noodle Incident: Death owes the Antichrist a favor for never mentioning this one incident. It involved two kittens, thirteen girl scouts, an ice cream cone, a goat and six pairs of socks.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: The song playing in the background when Uriel destroys Mammon.
- One-Winged Angel: Lucifer, it gets a Lampshade Hanging.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Michael and Lucifer to each other; Gabriel to Michael.
- Open-Minded Parent: Raphael again.
- Opposite Day: Er... Bizarro book of prophecies.
- Otaku: Brian.
- Papa Wolf: Raphael.
- Poke the Poodle: Zira's "insults."
- Psycho for Hire: War.
- Rousing Speech
- Rule of Cool
- Rule of Funny
- Running Gag: There is only one response, be you demon, nun, Jesus, or Satan to the question "Would you like some tea?".
- Samuel L. Jackson: Beelzebub's human form. Because Samuel L. Jackson is badass.
- Samus is a Girl: And so is Jesus.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Raphael.
- Screw Destiny: God doesn't want the Apocalypse stopped this time. Aziraphale doesn't care.
- Second Law Of Genderbending: Jesus decides to stay female.
- Shout-Out: Turtle Power!
- "Brian, you are such a geek, you are NOT Sailor Moon!"
- Author's notes reveal that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the body of Tifa Lockhart.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Agostino Nutter, Michael.
- Stock British Phrases: Inner Aziraphale uses these quite liberally.
- Straw Feminist : Pepper.
- Strapped to an Operating Table
- Take That: Crowley's hallucinations are a mockery of badfic.
- Team Mom: Raphael.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork
- Theme Music Power-Up
- They Do
- Third Line, Some Waiting - The Famine, Pollution, Newt, and Anathema subplot.
- Third Law Of Genderbending - PMS, meekness, and a tendency to cry were not part of the New Testament.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!
- Throw-Away Town - Manchester; nobody misses it.
- To Hell and Back
- Too Much Information
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth
- Trademark Favorite Food - Angels like chocolate.
- Trap Door - "Sauntering vaguely downwards" sounds so much better.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension - Gets out of it at the end.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Michael and Gabriel.
- What You Are in the Dark - Aziraphale/Zira after Falling does not change in his resolve to help save humanity.
- With Due Respect - Poor, poor Aziraphale.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Averted. Aziraphale/Zira accidentally Falls and becomes a demon, but it doesn't change his mission to save humanity or his sweethearted personality in the slightest.
- Your Mom - Used twice by Adam, both times on beings without mothers.
- Zen Survivor - Hell does not scare Aziraphale, he survived Auschwitz.