open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Saint Young Men, Jesus has something of a quirky, mellow, hippie-esque personality and wears his thorns like a hippie headband. At one point a conservative old Japanese man yelled at him for being a 'longhair hippie'.
Live Action TV
- Referenced in Red Dwarf, when Rimmer dismisses their "High" selves as hippies.
Kryten: Sir, you think Jesus was a hippy.Rimmer: He had long hair and didn't have a job! What more do you want?
- Jesus Christ Superstar portrayed Christ and the Apostles as hippies.
- In the stage play turned movie Godspell, Jesus and his followers are usually shown in hippie-ish or clownish (or both) type clothing...
- One of many fictional Jesus archetypes Hedda and Mammy encounter in Jeff Whitty's play The Further Adventures of Hedda Gabler is like this.
- The Book of Mormon has Jesus speaking like a stoner.
- Takaya from Persona 3 Fan Nickname is hippie Jesus because he is said to bear resemblance to him by some people.
- Not exactly Jesus himself, but quite close - Kunino-sagiri from Persona 4 is seen wearing a stereotypical hippie outfit, complete with the "peace" motif. The messianic resemblances are probably intentional considering his twisted vision of "saving people".
- Used as a joke in You Damn Kid, when the Kid thinks if Jesus makes his second coming he should get a haircut or they'll think he's one of those damn hippies.
- In Evil Diva, he runs a coffeehouse.
- In The Devil's Panties, Jesus and Satan occasionally appear. Jesus wears a peace symbol instead of a cross and smokes a joint almost constantly.
- Subverted in Shortpacked!—like most of these examples, Historical Jesus is willing to call people out about helping the needy and loving each other, but he also criticizes (Jewish) Ethan for working on Saturday and thinks Leslie's family was right to disassociate themselves with her lesbian lifestyle.
- Somewhat Subverted in Irrelevator where the green character has a the look, with peace symbol on his shirt does drugs and is laid back. But is not a prime example◊ of spreading love and understanding.
- Joshua ben Joseph in But I'm a Cat Person, scruffy do-gooder who's into Eastern religions and civil disobedience.
- And in Biblical Palestine, a short haircut and a clean-shaven look would have been associated with the Roman occupier, a thing which would not have won Jesus too many fans. The long hair and "hippie beard" would have been demanded of a religiously observing Jew, for one thing!