Video Game: Dragon's Crown
The motif within Dragon's Crown is all the fantasy works that have affected me until now: the PC RPG Wizardry that I first came into contact with when I was a student; Ian Livingstone's gamebooks; games like Tower of Druaga, Golden Axe, and The King of Dragons, that I was constantly going to arcades to play. If I were to take the time to mention every title, the list would never end. Because I had the time, I was able to inlay Dragon's Crown with such glittering treasures both as homages, and as an essence within it.Dragon's Crown
— George Kamitani
is a 2D Action RPG
developed by Vanillaware
and published by Atlus
for the PlayStation 3
and PlayStation Vita
. While Vanillaware's first game for an HD console, Crown
is actually a spiritual successor
to the 1994 arcade Beat 'em Up Dungeon Crawler
, Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
The game's premise is fairly simple: a group of heroes come to the kingdom of Hydeland in search of adventure, eventually uncovering the mystery of the eponymous Dragon's Crown
and why so many want to possess it.
The game emphasizes Co-Op Multiplayer
, with up to four players or CPUs at once venturing through the game's levels. Along the way players uncover weapons and other items to customize their heroes. Playable characters include:
- The Amazon: A nimble, high damage berserker that wields two-handed weapons, but has low defense and starts a fight with long attack wind-ups.
- The Dwarf: A Dual Wielding Pint-Sized Powerhouse that can pick up and throw objects or enemies with his massive strength, but has low range, bad aerials, and slow movement.
- The Elf: An Archer with an assortment of special skills to help her adapt to any situation, but low offense and defense.
- The Fighter: A fully armored high defense warrior that can shield himself and the rest of the party. Also has a fast swinging sword, albeit with limited range.
- The Wizard: Specializes in powerful offensive magic, but moves slow, casts slow and has to heavily rely on his mana pool for nearly every one of his skills.
- The Sorceress: Support character that uses dark magic to control skeletons, turn enemies into frogs, and make food for allies.
These six are joined by Rannie
, a thief who'll open chests and doors for you, and Tiki, a fairy friend
who will help lead the heroes to possible secrets and point them in the right direction.
For similar Beat Em Ups
and Action Adventure
games set in a High Fantasy
world, see Gauntlet
, Golden Axe
, The King of Dragons
, and Guardian Heroes