Creator: Michael Sinterniklaas
Michael Sinterniklaas started in ADR as a director/voice actor for many Carolina-based English dubs for AnimEigo
back in The Nineties
, such as Bubblegum Crisis
. He later moved to New York, and began collaborating with 4Kids Entertainment
, but actually, he's one of the more talented actor/directors they had, simply because he managed to land some really good roles elsewhere, including both Nnoitra Jiruga
, and some occasional roles for FUNimation
. Western cartoon fans know him best as the voice of Dean Venture of The Venture Bros.
and Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003
. He's got a decent range which allows him to play anything from a teenage boy
to a Pokémon
. He's not as popular as, say, Dan Green
, but then again, it's kinda hard to top that voice. Michael seems to attract a lot of crazy fan girls at conventions and other public events.
Besides voice acting he also founded the recording studio NYAV Post, which bases its model on bi-coastal collaboration- shows he directs tend to feature actors from both sides of the States. Dubs for Media Blasters
anime series and some Western Animation
like The Venture Bros.
and Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot
are recorded there, for which he is often the voice director. Kappa Mikey
was also recorded there, as well as basically any other of Animation Collective
's shows, considering they're just several blocks from each other. He is one of the few voice actors who is quite well-known of a lot
of cross region work with a total of three
major voice acting locations (the said founded NYAV Post in New York City, FUNimation
in Dallas, Texas, and many Los Angeles based studios like Bang Zoom! Entertainment
). Pretty much, the only things missing in the list are Seraphim Digital Studios
(Houston, Texas) and The Ocean Group
(Vancouver, Canada), but it wouldn't be a surprise if his name started popping up there.note
Not to be confused with Sinterklaas
Notable roles by Michael Sinterniklaas:
Tropes associated with Michael Sinterniklaas:
- Bilingual Bonus: He's from France. This has helped him produce the English dub for French animated movies licensed by Gkids, such as Ernest And Celestine and Mia And Magoo. His last name is the Dutch word for Saint Nicholas, who is Santa Claus in America or Father Christmas if you're from the UK. Also, he knows Japanese and has even formed healthy business relations with Japanese animation studios.
- Older Than They Look: Look the picture above (or any recent video of him, really) and say that the guy looks his age (he's 40).
- The Other Darrin: If a cast member drops out right before recording a show Sinterniklaas directs, and the character is male, 99% of the time he'll fill in for him.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Less so than others, but in all his projects he plays either the straight young, male hero, a charismatic antagonist, or an Adorkable wimp. His roles are usually on either end of an unrequited crush. And usually the object of said relationship will always be voiced by Stephanie Sheh, who will also be producing alongside him.
- Said first and third typecast is reinforced with Ivan Karelin, who is one of the lowest ranking superheroes in the series due to his powers.
- Playing Against Type: Nnoitra. So much.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Has worked extensively with LA-based Stephanie Sheh for over a decade, who also produces, directs, and acts. This widening of associated studios he works for only grew this collaboration. They had characters appear in scenes together in Eden of the East, Bleach, Monster, Sengoku Basara, Slayers Revolution, Bakuman。, Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.