Welcome to The Space Show
is a family science fiction anime film by A-1 Pictures
. While at summer camp, five kids rescue an injured dog, who turns out to be an alien. As a thank you he takes them to a station on the far side of the moon, however the journey back proves to me more difficult - especially when some poachers start chasing them for the wasabi they happened to be carrying with them.
It has been released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK by Manga Entertainment
, who produced a dub in association with Aniplex
and NYAV Post.
- An Aesop: Only rely on yourself to achieve your goals, individually or as a species.
- Aliens Speaking English: Pochi learned Japanese as he had to spend a significant amount of time on the planet researching.
- Artistic License - Astronomy
- Making the whole far side of the moon a huge space port even though the Apollo program took place (a lander with the US flag can be clearly seen)
- Describing a Super Nova as the birth of a star. Understandable as a kid (Kouji) makes that statement. On the other hand, the space show was singing "Happy Birthday" to the event.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Natsuki lampshades this trope, admitting that she always wanted to be the hero rescuing the damsel in distress, but when her own cousin needed rescuing she just felt scared and helpless.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Kouji and Pochi.
- Bookworm: Kouji.
- Buccaneer Broadcaster: The titular Space Show.
- Caught on Tape: The entire final showdown of the movie is seen by virtually everyone who watches the Space Show.
- Cool Big Sis: Natsuki to Aname (although they are cousins)
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Natsuki.
- Fainting: Noriko faints when Pochi first speaks, then does it again when he apologises.
- Fantastic Flora: Zughan.
- Five-Man Band
- Forehead of Doom: Amane.
- Funny Animal: Pochi and his father.
- Heroic Wannabe: Natsuki
- Living Ship: Most notably an express train ship which is a long segmented insect with fleshy walls in the inside.
- Luminescent Blush: Everyone has it on their face when Amane kisses Pochi.
- Insignificant Little Blue Planet: If it weren't for the fact that Japanese horseradish is suspiciously close to Zughan.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Natsuki expresses this trope wanting to be a super heroine.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Pochi has oh so many character flaws, but he's basically a nice guy...dog...thing.
- Magic Skirt: Averted in zero-g.
- Naked People Are Funny: Noriko's little brother displaying everything to the world - from the back of a cow.
- Petting Zoo People: Marie and Pochi's mother.
- Prehensile Hair: Ink.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: Kouji.
- Show Within a Show: The eponymous Space Show.
- Sixth Ranger: Pochi, the alien dog
- Subspace Ansible: Pochi's request to have travels to Earth banned is processed and accepted immediately, leaving our human heroes stranded on the moon.
- Tagalong Kid: Aname, the youngest.
- Team Pet: Pyon-Kichi, the pet rabbit who ran away before the events of the movie.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Wasabi for Natsuki which is indirectly driving the plot.
- Translator Microbes: The jewellery-style passports they are given translate all spoken and written languages.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Natsuki wears short shorts.