Are we sure they're not siblings?
Alice sure looks like her mother
quite well. You could say that she looks like a younger version of her mother. Later on, we see her father, who also looks like her. Wait, wouldn't that make the mother and father look suspiciously similar too? And that it does, when we see the whole family together!
The same thing can be said about couples. The two characters apparently are not related, yet somehow you could tell they would click because they look similar to each other.
There are many reasons why this happen. For parents, it could be explained that the son or daughter is conceived by the show first before creating the parents of the character. It could also mean a reflection on real life, as people are attracted to someone that looks like them
Usually the blood relationship of the couple is stated or implied to be unrelated early on to avoid questionable stuff
See also Birds of a Feather
, which goes beyond the characters' looks. Related to Model Couple
, especially when used for advertising. If it's about minority races then it's Like Goes With Like
Anime and Manga
- One of the love interests in Le Samourai was cast because the actress looked like she could be Alain Delon's sister and the director wanted the audience to feel that awkwardness between them. What makes this particularly weird is that said actress was Alain Delon's wife.
- Neo and Trinity in The Matrix trilogy look very much alike, both with pale, androgynous faces and short black hair. This leads to some confusion during their sex scene in the second movie where it's hard to tell exactly whose ass you're looking at.
- In Requiem for a Dream, Marion and Harry look like they could be siblings. They are both dark haired, androgynous, with similar features.Even their profiles look alike.
- Completely inverted in one Agatha Christie novel The Moving Finger: When every villager starts receiving hate mail, the main character (who lives with his sister) is accused of being husband and wife masquerading as brother and sister. They don't look anything like each other (as each takes after one very different parent), hence the accusation.
- Inverted in A Song Of Ice And Fire where Cersei and Jaime Lannister are twins, but most people don't realize they are also lovers, and that King Joffrey is born of incest.
- The Van der Veghels in Ngaio Marsh's When In Rome look suspiciously similar. Alleyn suspects, but cannot prove, they are in fact half-siblings. What's more, he suspects blackmail on this point prompted the husband to commit murder.
- Sarah and Silas Heap in Septimus Heap both share Green Eyes and curly blonde hair with their children.
- Lucius Malfoy of Harry Potter has a pale, pointed face, with pale blond hair and cold grey eyes. His wife Narcissa is described as tall, slim, "nice looking", and very pale, with blue eyes, and long blonde hair. Her hair colouring thus differs from most of the House of Black, who generally have dark hair. Arthur Weasley and his wife Molly both have bright red hair and probably freckles as it is a family trait.Justified as most of the pureblood wizarding families are somewhat inbred.
- The light novel version of Durarara!!!! have this with Ruri and Kasuka.
- Variant in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where an inordinate number of men are married to women with the feminine version of their name. Joe and Josephine, George and Georgina, etc. In the movie, Veruca Salt's parents are named Henry and Henrietta.
- An example of a Deconstruction that isn't grim or dark occurs on 30 Rock, where Jenna Maroney begins a long-term relationship with a Drag Queen who works as a Jenna Maroney impersonator because she's so vain that she wants to make out with "herself".
- Sheldon and Amy on The Big Bang Theory.
- An episode of 2 Broke Girls has a couple of bears who even have the same facial hair.
- Willow and Oz in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- One episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation involved an intentional evocation of this trope (or something) when it's revealed that to lure a man who is a little person out a fake woman was created using a photo of the man himself that was slightly altered so he wouldn't notice. It's explained that this was successful because people are attracted to people with similar features to themselves.
- The Simpsons:
- Pictured above: Milhouse's parents look so similar to each other, their own son is half-sure they're brother and sister.
- Same case with Ralph Wiggum's parents, Chief Wiggum and his wife (albeit not to the extent like the Van Houtens).
- If we look at the extended family, Ned Flanders's male relatives all look alike... and their wives all look like Maude.
- Ralph the security guard and his wife in Animaniacs. Their son, who looks nothing like them, desperately hopes that he is adopted.
- Family Guy Mort's wife Muriel, who looks just like Mort if he was in drag.
- From Codename: Kids Next Door all of the main five characters' parents look alike (except maybe Numbah 5 since her mother is very French).
- It's actually proven that people are attracted to someone who looks vaguely similar to them, be it physically or mentally.