Alex: The Canadian-born television personality is the host of America's longest-running quiz program.
Contestant: Who is Alex Trebek?
Alex: Correct. Pick again.Born on July 22, 1940, Alex Trebek is a Canadian-American celebrity famous for hosting Jeopardy! as well as a plethora of shows since the 1960s. His work ranges from many types of shows: commercials, game shows, music shows, and even sport events.
Shows hosted by Alex:
- Music Hop (1963-1964)
- Classic Concentration (1987-91)
- The Wizard of Odds (1973-74)
- Double Dare (1976) (1976-77)
- High Rollers (1974-76, 1978-80)
- Pitfall (1981)
- Battlestars (1981-82)
- Jeopardy! (1984-)
- Starcade (1982 pilots only)
- To Tell the Truth (1990)
Tropes invoked by Alex:
- Badass Mustache: One of his distinguishing physical characteristics between the '70s and the '90s. So iconic that even after he shaved it off in 2001 (briefly growing it back in Fall 2014), he's still depicted with a mustache in various works, e.g. Saturday Night Live's "Celebrity Jeopardy" sketches.
- Canada, Eh?: He's a native of Ontario.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : On a talk show, Alex announced that as soon as he had become an American Citizen, he was called for jury duty within the first week.
- Cool Old Guy
- Deadpan Snarker
- Funny Afro: Back in the 1970s.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: He is very good with other languages, and often speaks in various languages if a contestant mentions that he or she speaks one.
- Guest Host: Most notably, Alex took over Pat Sajak's hosting duties on Wheel of Fortune on April 1, 1997 while the latter hosted Jeopardy.
- Jerkass: Trebek has not been immune to criticism, and much of it has centered on his thorough enforcement of a game's rules, particularly with Jeopardy!. Trebek defended his hosting style to USA Today writer Jefferson Graham, noting that a game's rules are there for a reason and Standards and Practices will enforce them if he doesn't. At least one Trebek critic - Maxene Fabe, in her 1979 book "TV Game Shows" - called him on his penchant for what she characterized as snapping at errant contestants for either ringing in to a question too early note or forgetting a game's rules, and called him a "cold fish." But in reality, Trebek has shown many times he loves to have fun with the games and will always do his best to side with the contestant.
- Long Runner: Even if you don't look at the previous shows he's hosted, Alex has been hosting Jeopardy! since 1984.
- Older Than They Look: He's in his seventies but doesn't look a day over 50. Shaving off his mustache probably helped.
- Porn Stache: His Badass Mustache was originally like this, but it got trimmed down.
- Shout-Out: To Mr. Mxyzptlk. In one Family Guy episode, he vanished when Mayor Adam West tricked him into saying "Kebert Xela".
- Which came full circle when an actual Jeopardy contestant who had $1 going into Final Jeopardy wrote down "What is Kebert Xela?" as his answer, hoping to send Alex to "another dimension."
- Type Casting: Whenever he appears in roles on non-game shows, Alex is always playing the host of a quiz show.