Shary Bobbins: And the clerk who runs the store can charge a little more for meat! Apu: For meat Shary Bobbins: And milk Apu: And milk! Shary Bobbins & Apu: From nineteen-eighty-four!
Lots of comedies feature restaurants and other food service venues with breathtakingly bad public health risks. Food is sold months even years after its expiration date. It's often prepared by an uncouth cook who manages to get a great deal of hair and bodily fluid into whatever he's cooking. This is almost always played for laughs.
A Lethal Eatery may employ a Lethal Chef
or two, but in some cases the food tastes alright despite being coated in bacteria.
See also Greasy Spoon
open/close all folders
- In Spaceballs, it's implied that the customer of a space diner contracted the alien parasite from the food he was served.
- Most of the restaurants in Discworld's Ankh-Morkpork are like this. A character mentions at one point that trying to have public health laws would be like "installing smoke detectors in Hell."
Live Action Television
- Torgo's Pizza in Mystery Science Theater 3000, ultimately closed down due to sanitation problems.
- On Cheers Norm's favorite restaurant, the Hungry Heifer, is sometimes described like this. He goes there because the food is cheap and tastes OK, but there is the occasional stomach-pumping incident.
- You Can't Do That on Television has Barth's Burgers, serving the only burgers in town with, as the slovenly chef/proprietor is always proud to point out, "spit in the mixture."
- How I Met Your Mother: Marshall and Lily get food at an unhygienic deli and have gotten food poisoning more than a few times. They continue to eat there because the food is that good.
- The game Hector: Badge of Carnage has Chez LeBouffett. The place is swarming with flies and if you complain about the meat on your plate the waiter will grab your half eaten meal, dump it back into the buffet cart and then serve you a new plate from the ensuing pile. Hector does some horrifyingly disgusting things in the game but he refuses to eat the food at the restaurant.
- Stinky's Diner from the Telltale Sam & Max: Freelance Police games.