Characters: Chounouryokusha Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan
A list of characters from the Manga series Chounouryokusha Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan.
open/close all folders
Kusuo SaikiThe Main Character. A 16 year old boy with extremely powerful psychic powers. He could use them to effortlessly have anything he wanted, but instead opts to settle down for a peaceful and quiet life.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: They lack a good deal of common sense and are Sickeningly Sweethearts.
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with his desserts.
- Blessed with Suck: His powers take away many kinds of enjoyment and he hasn't complete control over them.
- Celibate Hero: Because of his powers. X-Ray Vision + Telepathy = Apathy.
- Clairvoyance: By crossing his eyes, he can see and listen things happening in other places. It only works if he's visited and seen the place before in real life.
- Comically Invincible Hero: His numerous powers can bail him out of virtually any undesirable situation. This doesn't stop undesirable situations from happening to him anyways.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Revealing his powers to the world will attract unwanted attention to himself.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the First-Person Smartass kind.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: If Kusuo isn't careful, people will get hurt. Badly.
- The Empath: He can fell the affection rating of a person toward someone and illustrate it as percentage value in a heart-shaped digital display.
- Fourth Wall Observer: Kusuo's inner monologue is specifically addressed to the reader, but he doesn't break the Fourth Wall aloud.
- Friendless Background: His aim. His classmates don't collaborate.
- Grumpy Bear: He's very cynical despite living a very pleasant world.
- He Who Must Not Be Heard: Whether he can't speak, won't speak or doesn't speak on screen remain to be seen.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He doesn't really want to become a normal person, but he wants to live quietly as one.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Inverted. He just wants to be alone, but his classmates keep trying be friends with him.
- I'll Kill You!: Threatens to kill Toritsuka with a sharpened roll of toilet paper if he ever reveals that he's a psychic to his classmates.
- Invisibility: It takes a full minute of concentration to activate and lasts for 10 minutes.
- Invisibility With Drawbacks: The effect is canceled if Saiki is touched by other people. Also, it doesn't works against people who can see ghosts.
- Living Lie Detector: Comes with being able to read people's minds.
- Medium Awareness: Possibly another of his psychic powers.
- Mind Manipulation: Downplayed. While he can't actually control people's minds, he can manipulate what people consider "natural" and "unnatural".
- Mind over Matter: Can use his mind to move people, objects, and even himself around.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Played for Laughs and Deconstruction purposes instead Deus ex Machina.
- Not So Stoic: Accidentally using psychometry on a person who can see ghosts causes him to look terrified.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He could easily become The Ace, but he doesn't want to stand out.
- The Omnipotent: Of the Type 5. Possibly Type 3.
- Only Sane Man: To virtually every other character in the series.
- Playing with Fire: Ranges from simply making objects feel hot to the touch to incinerating them to cinders.
- Power Incontinence: Has problems controlling his own strength (see each specific power for description). It temporarily becomes an even greater problem after Nendou briefly unplugs one of his antennae.
- Power Limiter: The antennae on his head keep his powers in check.
- Psychic Powers: Has just about every basic psychic power in the book. A list of Saiki's more unusual powers include:
- Psychic photography: Concentrating in somebody or something during one minute, he can draw an illustration of its present location.
- Psychometry: He can "see" an object's pass by simply touching it; touching a person allows him to see and feel the same things they do in real time. Since it cannot be turned off, he constantly wears transparent gloves to prevent himself from seeing all of the unpleasant things associated with each object.
- Sweating freely: He has the power to make himself sweat, which he uses to fool others into thinking that he's putting physical effort into races and sports activities.
- Psychic Radar: Based in to estimate the distance and position of each mental voice. 200m range.
- Serious Business: Sweets, or anything that he "doesn't dislike".
- Shipper on Deck: Kusuo will support Chiyo's relationship with any guy who is not himself, just so she will leave him alone.
- Shock and Awe: Can summon lightning to just about anywhere he pleases.
- Silent Partner: He has never been seen talking to another living being.
- Spider-Sense: Has the ability to notice dangers and menaces before them happen.
- The Stoic: Constantly wears a bored, deadpan expression and rarely cracks a smile. Enhanced by his Stoic Spectacles.
- Super Speed: Can reach Olympic level speeds with relative ease.
- Super Strength: He has problems matching the strength level of ordinary people.
- Sweet Tooth: He really likes coffee jello.
- Telepathy: Can't be shut off, causing him to have to constantly listen to others' thoughts within a 200 meter range. It doesn't work on Nendou for some reason, likely because he's an idiot.
- Teleporters and Transporters: He can teleport wherever he pleases, but it requires a three minute cooldown before he can use it again.
- Weather Manipulation: He is able to part clouds and make the sun come out during a strong downpour.
- Why Did It Have To Be Cockroaches: Kusuo can't tolerate bugs because he can't read their thoughts. It isn't because they look disgusting and he doesn't want to touch them even with psychokinesis.
- X-Ray Vision: It actives itself after 5 seconds whenever he gazes at anything. Don't work against other Telepaths.
Kuniharu SaikiKusuo's father, a salaryman. Immature and greedy, he has fewer scruples about how his son should use his powers.
- Extreme Doormat: He licks his boss' shoes for a living. Literally.
- Fantastically Indifferent: He took the discovery of his son's power in stride.
- Happily Married: To Kurumi.
- Just Think of the Potential: His outlook on Kusuo's powers. He even ponders burglary.
- Man Child: Acts very immature for his age.
- Salary Man: His job. He literally licks his boss' shoes for a living.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kurumi Saiki, to the annoyance of their son.
Kurumi SaikiKusuo's mother, an archetypical homewife. She very nice and kind, if a bit naive, and raised her son to never use his powers to evil.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Becomes physically violent when she's in an argument with her husband.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Saiki actually becomes terrified when she suddenly insists that he hangs out with his friends at the beach.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Her outlook on Kusuo's powers. Usually.
- Fantastically Indifferent: She took the discovery of her son's power in stride. Her main preoccupation was to teach him to not commit crimes with it.
- Happily Married: To Kuniharu.
- Housewife: Usually stays at home and keeps the house tidy.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kuniharu Saiki, to the annoyance of their son.
- Unstoppable Rage: In Chapter 1, when she gets into a heated argument with her husband. She's angry enough to wrestle her husband into submission and fling the entire dinner table at him.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Subdues her husband with an array of wrestling moves when she's really angry.
Students and Staff of PK Academy
Riki NendouA really idiotic delinquent that thinks he is best friends with Kusuo. He's actually a nice guy, but his stupidity and appearance cause his good deeds to backfire.
- Disability Superpower: He's immune to mind-reading and telepathic detection because he's so stupid that he's never thinking anything at all. He's the only person who can sneak up on Kusuo and theoretically kill him..
- Disappeared Dad: His father died before he was born. He was killed while saving a little girl from an oncoming truck.
- Dumb Muscle: Makes up for his low intelligence with his impressive strength.
- Face of a Thug: He's a very nice guy, but most people are either scared or disgusted with him because of his looks.
- Japanese Delinquents: What he looks like.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Kaidou mistakes him for one.
- Nice Guy: Or at least, he tries to be one. He truly is a nice guy, but his looks and intelligence make it hard for him to get the point across.
- Punny Name: "Nendou Riki" means "Telekinesis".
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Due to his appearance, nobody wants to be around him.
- Strong Family Resemblance: His mother and father have the same chin, scars, and face as he does. His father looks exactly like him, hairstyle and all. The location of their scars is what sets them apart.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Shun Kaidou, after both try to win Saiki's companionship.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: How does he aid an unconscious person? By beating the shit out of him.
AKA: Jet-Black WingShun Kaidou is the Secret Identity of Jet-Black Wing. Using the power of Black Pete, an godlike force imprisioned in his right arm, he fights to protect the world from the Dark Reunion, a Secret Society that plans to steal Black Pete and use its power to weed out the unnecessary elements from humankind and create a new world.Or not. Actually, Shun Kaidou just believes he's Jet-Black Wing. He suffers from something called Chuunibyou ("Junior High 2nd Year Syndrome"), a delusion of grandeur that usually affects children that are going through the puberty, even though he's already 16 years old. He also thinks Kusuo is his sidekick.
- Affectionate Parody: His appearance and the Jet-Black Wing's setup is a Cliché Storm from the Battle Shounen genre.
- Calling Your Attacks: Even though he has no real attacks. He also uses this trope for mundane things.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Although how much he really believes in his own fantasies is debatable.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: He's right about Kusuo having powers, but not in the way he thinks.
- Coat Cape: Uses the jacket of his school uniform like this.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Claims that Dark Reunion is behind every bad thing that happens.
- Cowardly Lion: Has the guts to protect his classmates from a runaway snake despite being utterly mortified while doing so. Even Saiki is impressed by this act of bravery.
- Friend to All Children: He's so friendly around children that he'll temporarily snap out of his Jet-Black Wing persona while talking to them.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Usually, his eyes are narrow and simplistic. Whenever he lets the Jet-Black Wing persona slip, they turn very wide and friendly.
- Jerkass Fašade: He acts arrogantly and pretentiously, but beneath his Jet-Black Wing persona, he's a nice guy.
- Handwraps of Awesome: Supposedly, it seals Black Pete's power.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Chuunibyou is caused by this.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He's rather timid, but it's hard for anyone to tell when he's acting like the arrogant Jet-Black Wing all the time.
- Large Ham: He talks like a Battle Shonen protagonist.
- Miles Gloriosus: None of his exploits as the "Jet-Black Wing" never actually happened. At least he's capable of being brave when he's in a pinch.
- Mr. Imagination: Has a severe case of Chuunibyou. He's convinced that in a previous life, he was a high level soldier of Dark Reunion who went rogue after he discovered their plans for world domination.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Usually, only one of his eyes can be seen at a time.
- Shonen Hair: It's very spikey, and likely intentional on Kaidou's part.
- Super Drowning Skills: He can't swim, and he won't get into the water without wearing an unnecessary number of life preservers. It's revealed that he can swim fairly well if it isn't pointed out that he's swimming.
- Terrible Artist: Tries to scribble down a picture of a child's lost dog based on its description. It ends up looking horrendous.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Riki Nendou, after competing with him over Saiki's companionship.
Kokomi TeruhashiThe prettiest and most popular girl in the school. Everyone falls under her charms, except Kusuo.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Kokomi acts nicely and kindly, but she's manipulative and hides a deep contempt for her classmates. Kusuo can see through the facade, in more ways than one.
- Fille Fatale: She's great at attracting guys and making them do what she pleases.
- Hello, Nurse!: Possibly the World's Most Beautiful Woman. In her presence, guys can't help but to stutter at her looks.
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is the traditional Japanese sailor fuku.
- Informed Attractiveness: In her introductory chapter and onward, she doesn't stop reminding the viewer of how beautiful she thinks she is.
- Slave to PR: Instead of acting like an Alpha Bitch, she tries to maintain the image of being nice and kind.
- Spoiled Brat: Her true self. She can't stand the fact that unlike other guys, Saiki isn't hopelessly interested in her.
- Spoiled Sweet: Her facade.
Chiyo YumeharaA hopeless romantic girl with an unrequieted crush on Kusuo.
- Affectionate Parody: To lovesick, romance manga protagonists.
- Crush Filter: Whenever she imagines Saiki, he appears as a very idealistic, Bishounen love interest instead of the cynical, uninterested character that he is.
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is the traditional Japanese sailor fuku.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Kusuo, who isn't interested in her. All of her attempts to get close to him fail because he predicts every single move she makes.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: In her introductory chapter, she constantly comes up with scenarios that put her and Saiki into over-romanticized situations. Saiki, who can see these thoughts perfectly, is not amused in the slightest.
Kineshi HairoThe over-enthusiastic Class Representative. His enthusiasm infects everyone, except Kusuo.
- Affectionate Parody: Of hot-blooded, sports manga protagonists.
- Class Representative: He's the class representative of Saiki's homeroom. As with everything he does, he's very proactive with his position.
- Fist Pump: Does this when he's coming up with a plan, fired up to do something, or after he's accomplished something. He's just that enthusiastic about everything.
- Hot-Blooded: An exaggerated version of this Trope.
- Large Ham: He will even sweat dramatically without apparent cause.
- Lovable Jock: Very athletic, and the most popular guy in the class, if not in the whole grade.
- Manly Tears: Whenever he feels moved. Sometimes also inspires others to shed them.
- No Indoor Voice: Most of whatever comes out of his mouth is delivered in a loud, over-dramatic voice.
- Nice Guy: His hot-blooded passion for just about anything may come off as intense or annoying to some people, but he has a genuine desire to make others rise to their full potential.
- Punny Name: "Hairo Kineshi" is a play on the word "Pyrokinesis".
- Running Gag: His pants fall down whenever he trips.
- Serious Business: Sports, teamwork, hard work, carrying heavy objects down a hallway...
- Shonen Hair: His hair is red and spiked up.
- Testosterone Poisoning: His fiery obsession with hard work, determination, and pushing himself (and others) to ridiculous limits is so outlandish that it crosses into comedic territory.
Reita ToritsukaA high-schooler who was born the ability to see and talk to ghosts. He is aware that Saiki has psychic powers because a ghost told him so.
- Covert Pervert: Lampshaded by Saiki, who's surprised that such an innocent looking person can be so indecent.
- Guardian Entity: Has the ability to see each person's guardian entity thanks to his powers. His own personal guardian spirit is Nenou's lazy, deceased father.
- I See Dead People: His special ability, which he's had ever since he was born.
- New Transfer Student: Transfers to Saiki's school the day after he introduces himself to him. Saiki complains that the development is way too cliched.
- Not So Different: When his psychometry forces him to see what Toritsuka has to see every day, Saiki sympathizes with his situation.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: He tries to obtain psychic powers so that he can peep at girls to his heart's content.