Tropes that describe me:
- Achievements in Ignorance - I quickly get bored if I try to solve problems by just looking up the conventional solution methods; I'd much rather take three times as long and do them the hard way, which can lead to this trope on good days.
- Berserk Button - Averted. If I have one, I haven't found it yet; I tend to be extremely patient and forgiving. If anything, Berserk Buttons themselves almost fit; it annoys me when people get exceptionally angry. Beware the Nice Ones certainly doesn't apply, by the way; if you do somehow manage to upset me, I'm hardly going to hunt you down over it.
- Big Eater - Reluctantly. I work out a lot, and rather inconveniently, that requires me to eat a lot. I see this as more of a chore than anything else.
- Bizarre Taste in Food - I genuinely detest nearly all fatty, greasy, fried, and sugary foods. It's not self-discipline at all; junk food to me is what lima beans and tofu are to most people. I prefer simple foods like steamed vegetables, plain fruit, rare/raw meat, that sort of thing. Bacon turns my stomach.
- Black Comedy - I engage in this a lot in real life. Everything is funny in hindsight, but I prefer not to wait; the best way to deal with your problems is to find some way to laugh at them.
- Black Knight - I unconsciously exemplified this trope once by attending the Knight's Duel chess tournament as the only unrated, unregistered player, in a black suit. Much the same way as Medieval knights would occasionally attend jousting events in black armor as wild cards.
- Blithe Spirit - I can't abide stuffiness and lethargy, and I'll do what I can to expunge said gloominess.
- Blue and Orange Manners - Frequent source of annoyance. Courtesy is very important to me, and I've had to learn the slow way that I have a drastically different concept of courtesy from most people. It's not at all uncommon for someone's actions to (generally unintentionally) leave me insulted to the point of speechlessness while everyone else takes it in stride.
- Blue Oni - I'm always the Blue; I seem to be a magnet for Red Oni.
- Brutal Honesty - I don't think I'm that brutal, but others have noted it often enough that I feel obligated to list it.
- Catch Phrase - "That would be cheating!" May refer to anything from wearing a winter coat, to using an elevator, to making an obvious joke, to explicitly asking someone what he/she wants for Christmas. Also "It's a matter of principle." for many of the same reasons, and "Oh, don't mind me..." in Obfuscating Stupidity Mode.
- Cavalier Competitor - I love competition, not for the purpose of conquering others and establishing myself as the Biggest Man in the Room, but purely for the joy of it. I have fun even (sometimes especially) when I lose; I'll acknowledge a hit with a cordial ďTouchť!Ē and a self-depricating chuckle.
- Challenge Gamer - My rule of thumb is that if I have time to scratch my nose without dying, the game is probably too easy.
- Charles Atlas Superpower - My goal; the reason I exercise religiously. Nothing super to show for it so far, except that I might or might not be immune to salmonella.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder - Ye be warned. I value principles over loyalty, and I won't hesitate to turn my back on any organization, affiliation, or private individual whose allegiance I discover to irreconcilably contradict my principles.
- Closet Key - Leon Sexy Kennedy
- The Chessmaster - Not yet, but I'm slowly working on it. Do PM if you feel like a friendly game!
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience - I don't always wear black, but often enough that head-to-toe black has become a trademark of sorts. My friends will lampshade this when one of us other than me happens to wear all black.
- Composite Character - If I read or hear a word or phrase I happen to like, odds are I'll steal it and use it myself. I can trace a lot of my mannerisms back to favorite characters and close friends.
- Cool Pet - Muffins The Tiger.
- Creepy Monotone - The ironic result of me consciously trying to emote a little more. The only time this trope doesn't apply is when I laugh, and I'm told that's still plenty creepy even though it's less monotone.
- The Cynic - Completely averted, trust me. People get this impression all the time, but I am 100% The Idealist.
- Dark Is Not Evil - I wear a lot of black—half the time, every last stitch of my outfit will be black—but I'm Lawful Good.note
- Defeat Means Friendship - It's the strangest thing; if you look at the people I get along with the best, I initially disliked almost every single one of them. I've made a lot of good friends by rubbing someone the wrong way, smoothing things out (whether that meant me offering an apology or me accepting an apology), and then getting along famously thereafter.
- The Determinator - I learn best through screwing up. Repeatedly. Not that I mind; I'll be the first to laugh at myself. One of the highest compliments I've ever been paid was when someone once compared me to a horror movie monster in that I never stay dead for long.
- Applies to video games as well; I've been trying to defeat Flandre Scarlet since May 12th, 2011. Literally hundreds of tries; zero successes. I'm close though; any day now...
- EDIT: April 17, 2013: It took me over 468 tries, but I did it! HAHA!
- Applies to video games as well; I've been trying to defeat Flandre Scarlet since May 12th, 2011. Literally hundreds of tries; zero successes. I'm close though; any day now...
- Drink Order - Tomato juice. Used to be coffee, but consuming over a full gram of caffeine daily eventually caught up to me and I've since quit drinking it altogether.
- Eating Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Alone - Hey, I'm The Hermit for a reason. If I really like you, I won't mind sharing a meal with you, but mostly I prefer to keep to myself.
- Evil Brit - Subverted, as I'm neither evil nor British. Apparently I often give people this impression; I haven't the slightest idea why.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask - Even when I'm extremely tired, I almost never get short of breath; casual chatting can be an effective psychological tactic when people expect you to be too exhausted to spare the oxygen. Not that I do it on purpose, I just really like to chat when I'm feeling competitive.
- Forgiveness - I'll forgive just about anything, given a sincere apology and a genuine show of contrition.
- For Great Justice - Happiness is wonderful, but when the chips are down I'll pick justice.
- Glacier Waif - I'm average height, and sufficiently thin to make people worry that I'm not eating enoughnote , but I definitely perform on the Mighty Glacier end of the spectrum; I'm about twenty pounds heavier than I look. I have fun shocking people who expect me to snap in half if I carry anything heavier than a two-liter pop bottle.
- HeelĖFace Turn - I used to be a pretty rotten guy, and proud of it. As early as six years old, up through my Freshman year of college. I like to think I Got Better.
- The Hermit - I live alone (quite happily) and very often the only words I'll say to anyone all day is a quick "Hello. Thank you." to the dining court cashier. I do enjoy spending time with other people, but too little time to myself results in Sanity Slippage. It's a lot like exercise; it's fun, but I can't do it all day.
- Honesty Is the Best Policy - You can always expect an honest answer if you ask me whether I secretly hate you, whether I'm currently planning your downfall, or whether that hanging Bishop is actually Schmuck Bait.
- Honor Before Reason - I am completely obsessed with rules and gamesmanship. I delight in handicapping myself in arbitrary ways to make life more interesting, and following the rules matters more to me than winning; there's no fun in playing chess if you just reach out and pocket the enemy king without working for it. In short, I'm a consummate sportsman.
- I Can Still Fight - I've made a number of injuries worse by exercising on them anyways; I hate waiting around to heal, and sometimes I get impatient about it. The pinnacle of this was running 50+ miles per week for a month on an inflamed sciatic nerve; the resulting "feedback" finally convinced me to tone it down a bit.
- The Idealist - I'm used to carrying around a reputation for being cynical, but I don't agree with the label at all. I have a very positive opinion of human nature in general. I consider life to be the greatest game ever designed, played on the most awesome board ever made.
- Insane Troll Logic - I never engage in it myself, but I do have fun decoding it. I don't believe in "random" behavior, so I believe people always have some reason behind what they say, and I like the challenge of teasing the actual meaning out from the word-vomit; I find Trolls also tend to dislike accidentally making sense.
- I Take Offense to That Last One - Very often, because there are numerous things other people consider offensive that don't particularly bother me at all. EX: "You heartless bastard!" "...my parents were married."
- Laughing Mad - I have a somewhat masochistic sense of humor; I find my own misfortunes to be genuinely funny, and on the rare occasion that everything goes to Hell all at once, I can't help giggling uncontrollably.
- Large Ham - Iím usually very reserved, but competition brings it out.
- Lawful Good - So it turns out Being Evil Sucks. I'm Lawful in the sense that I follow a personal code; I have absolutely zero qualms about breaking the law of the land apart from the consequences of getting caught, but there is a large degree of overlap between the two that precludes me from committing most crimes anyway.
- Messy Hair - It's usually in order, but under heavy wind or strenuous exercise it starts to exhibit anti-gravitational properties on the order of Shonen Hair, much to my distress.
- Mistaken for Vegetarian - Likely as a result of my pickiness regarding meat. I don't like steak, pork, lamb, hamburgers, hot dogs, bacon, or sausage.
- Most Annoying Sound - Phones ringing. As well as any other piercing noises made by handheld electronic devices that their carriers deem to be more important than whatever you're talking about.
- Muscles Are Meaningless - Despite being quite a lot stronger than average, I look downright frail; I've had people chase me down and demand to share the load...when I was only carrying about 20-30 pounds.
- No Sell - I love Witty Banter and I'll happily acknowledge a hit when I take one, but insulting me in sincerity will typically have no effect whatsoever.
- Not a Morning Person - Inverted. I like to wake up at 5:00am, but I'm pretty much dead by 10:00pm. As Iím a college student, this does no favors at all for my social life.
- Not What It Looks Like - Offline, I don't engage in nearly as much Witty Banter as I used to, largely because I'm quite tired of having it be mistaken for flirting.
- Also an example: my favorite breakfast food is Greek yogurt, which leaves chalky white stains if spilled. You get the idea, I'm sure.
- Obfuscating Stupidity - When I don't want to be noticed, this does the trick nicely.
- Older Than They Look - I'm 21, but routinely mistaken for 17-18.
- Palette Swap - I wear exactly the same outfit every day year-round, just with different colors. Well, usually black, actually.
- Perpetual Expression - Played straight offline, but I've noticed in hindsight that my avatars online are usually a good indication of my mood. Offline, my face stays pretty slack. I'll show mild surprise by raising one eyebrow, and the closest I'll usually get to a smile is a sort of half-smirk (it's actually pretty close to the page image for Psychotic Smirk).
- Precision F-Strike - The only reason I'll ever swear is if it happens to fit an improbably specific joke that wouldn't be funny otherwise. For example: in Drunken Master, in which Jackie Chan learns a fighting style that makes him more dangerous when fantastically drunk, there's part of a fight scene where the hero knocks a bad guy face-first into a pile of manure. Now they're both shitfaced!
- Pungeon Master - I previously left this trope unmentioned because I figured I'd be sub-par at it by Troper standards, but it seems it's not nearly as common here as I had expected.
- Recursive Reality
- Retro Gaming - I'm enormously nostalgic for the games I played as a child.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training - I work hard to be the best athlete I can be...non-specifically. I'm absolutely terrible at most sports; I can stand right under a basketball hoop and still miss nine out of ten shots. Oh, and despite being able to throw the heaviest balls with ease, I bowl about a 30. I train for overall health and longevity, not success at any particular game.
- Sarcasm Mode - Averted. I used to have trouble with people not being able to tell when I was being sarcastic and when I was not, so Iíve quit sarcasm completely to clear things up. Unfortunately, my neutral voice apparently sounds sarcastic to most people.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness - I consider this a bad habit of mine, because my priorities are clarity and precision, not showing off the extent of my vocabulary. Nevertheless, I do slip on occasion, and all bets are off if I'm speaking on a technical basis. If you catch me speaking this way unnecessarily, please do call me out on it.
- Slouch of Villainy - My favorite posture.
- Spot of Tea - How I finally made peace with my coffeemaker following my massive falling-out with all sources of caffeine. Peppermint tea contains no caffeine and tastes delicious.
- Stern Teacher - Formerly Drill Sergeant Nasty, but I'm getting better.
- The Stoic - In both the modern sense, and the original Greek philosophy sense.
- Straight Gay - Nobody sees this coming. I have no Camp Gay mannerisms at all, and most people seem more surprised to hear that I'm not Asexual than they are to hear I like men. I've had to invoke Sorry, I'm Gay a few times.
- Sugar and Ice Personality - I will more or less ignore your existence completely unless you actively hunt me down, and even then my conversation will consist mostly of "I see." and "Good for you.", but only until I've established that you're being earnest and genuine. I warm up to people fast, and then I can be very friendly.
- Though I can very quickly slip into Being Personal Isn't Professional, if the circumstances call for it.
- The Pollyanna - I delight in it! I don't like to complain unless I can somehow make it funny, and I devote much more of my attention to the positive things in life.
- The Teetotaler - I don't like the idea of being intoxicated, even a little. Itís not a moral thing; I donít think any less of people who do drink, and Iíll go to a bar once in a great while (I love a good Virgin Bloody Mary). Peer pressure doesn't work on me, either; I'm quite willing to be that guy who just orders water while everyone else drinks.
- The Tetris Effect - Chess; very much so. I have a tendency to see the physical world in terms of files and ranks, knight jumps and long diagonals, safe positions and sharp positions...it's especially bad if I've recently pushed myself. I've played blindfold chess twice, and both times I ended up sleeping poorly, dreaming incessantly about the game I'd just played, and waking up feverishly muttering moves in algebraic notation.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech - I'm good at delivering these against books and movies I particularly dislike. People too, in pre-Heel Face Turn days. Offline, I rarely say more than a sentence or two without stopping, but I could easily spend ten minutes blasting Cry, the Beloved Country.
- Think Happy Thoughts - An Enforced Trope in my case. I consider it a matter of personal discipline to spend as little time as possible thinking negative thoughts.
- Trademark Favorite Food - Raw tuna steaks, closely followed by sashimi. Applesnote are certainly up there as well; I'll go through half a dozen a day if they're available.
- Training from Hell - If I'm ever not aching and sore somewhere, I start to feel sickly. I'm never happier than when I'm pushed to my physical limits; I don't consider a workout to be successful until I start to feel a nice burning sensation.
- Trap Master - My modus operandi in chess is setting a prodigious quantity of Booby Traps.
- Turns Red - In the sense of increasing difficulty; it has nothing to do with anger, in my case. I'll admit it: I'm lazy when I don't feel challenged; I'll get by with Cherry Tapping, when I can. However, if I start taking hits and realize I'm up against a real threat, then I really start enjoying myself, and I will push myself to the limit to win.
- The Unspellable - My first name is very, very common...and also officially misspelled on my birth certificate. My last name is pronounced the same way as a certain extremely popular confectionary, but spelled entirely differently. Let's just say I could live very comfortably in the Death Note universe.
- Verbal Tic - As a result of nearly nine years of Taekwondo training, I often Kiai for fairly mundane reasons. On my sorer days, this tends to happen any time I move. Mine's typically a short "hai".
- Weapon of Choice - Combat umbrella. Nonlethal, inconspicuous, relatively gentle as weapons go, and Nigh Invulnerable in really bad weather.
- What Could Have Been - I'm plagued with memories of puns I thought of just barely too late. Freshman year, I was on a team competing in a cardboard boat competition, and most of the team suddenly decided to secede and build a scale model of the male genitalia instead of a boat. I missed the opportunity to call it a piece of junk.
- Wholesome Crossdresser - Averted, but for some reason I have yet to figure out, people try to convince me to do this with disconcerting frequency.
- Will Not Tell a Lie - Studiously. I will also never bluff, hyperbolize, or engage in sarcasm. Iím even vaguely uncomfortable with lying in character. However, Exact Words do apply.
- Please note that this in no way precludes me from declining to answer, omission of important details, or outright misdirection.
- Willfully Weak / I Am Not Left-Handed - Doing anything the easy way is just no fun for me at all, even if the alternative means occasionally losing. Though it usually doesnít. I'm not a scrub; everyone else is free to play however they like, I do what I do out of personal taste only.
- Yaoi Fanboy - Hey, Guy-on-Guy Is Hot.
- You Must Be Cold - Happens a lot to me because I never wear coats, whatever the weather.
Tropes that Others Feel Describe Me
- Affectionate Nickname / Meaningful Name: Egg, courtesy of someone on the shipping thread. The meaningful part is that you don't like bacon. -Mokona Zero
- Badass: Training from Hell plus martial arts makes you this. Not to mention, with that level of martial arts training there's no doubt. Mokona Zero
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: When did I say I was from Argentina? — Boxen
- Big Good: I could see you as this. -Mokona Zero
- Catchphrase: In addition to the ones mentioned above, I have noticed you say "Sweet mother of darkness" a lot. — Boxen
- Combo Breaker: The Mike broke my combo! >:( -Mokona Zero
- Crowning Moment of Funny: I had a good laugh at this post you made. XD
- Idealistic Mentor: To me! -Mokona Zero
- Dark Is Not Evil: You wore that dark avatar for a long time... -Mokona Zero
- Emoticon: I see lots of :)s and >.<s.
- The Empath: Probably one of your best traits is to think of others. -Mokona Zero
- Good Is Not Dumb: Probably the best example out there. You're a rare idealistic troper that is very intelligent.
- Guile Hero: I haven't see you manipulate anyone, but I'm pretty sure you are capable of this. -Mokona Zero
- Foe Yay: With bacon. Duh.
- I Hate Past Me: He seems like an asshole. — Boxen
- Knight in Shining Armor -Mokona Zero
- Kuudere: Played with Type 2. You only look serious. That serious looking guy with a dark avatar? He's actually really nice. -Mokona Zero
- The Hero: And I nominate myself to be The Lancer! -Mokona Zero
- The Messiah: Lots of people are Nice Guys, but you're just really really nice. -Mokona Zero
- Mr. Fanservice: Probably after all that exercising. -Mokona Zero
- Nice Guy: No doubt. One of the nicest guys you'll meet here. -Mokona Zero
- Not So Different: I thought I wouldn't have much in common with the serious looking guy with a dark avatar, but it turns out we're pretty similar. -Mokona Zero
- Opposites Attract: Camp Straight guy (me) is friends with the Straight Gay. -Mokona Zero
- Seme: You said it yourself. xD -The Mike
- The Smart Guy: Well, duh. -Mokona Zero
- The Social Expert: Despite being The Hermit. -Mokona Zero
- The Spock: Subverted as I told you before. -Mokona Zero
- Stealth Pun: Most of your jokes aren't sarcasm, but rather, funny puns. -Mokona Zero
- The Strategist: You have to be to be a chess player. -Mokona Zero
- Turn the Other Cheek: I've noticed you never respond to anything with anger, instead you usually just say "My apologies". -Mokona Zero
open/close all foldersMy Favorite Works:
Anime and Manga
Iíve read a lot, and I simply cannot choose a favorite, or even a top ten; this is a list of what Iím in the process of reading at present.
Live Action TV
Not much here; I don't watch much TV. I don't even own one, actually.
Again, hardly an exhaustive list, but this time my favorites. Iím a sap for good action, whether or not the plot is equally good, and I love all martial arts movies no matter how bad the lines are. I despise movies about pessimism or existential doubt, such as Inception.
Music (With samples!)
I listen almost exclusively to video game music; in addition to these particular artists, I often listen to entire game soundtracks.
- Scrabble ~ note
- BlazBlue - Go Litchi.
- Devil May Cry: 3
- Final Fantasy: VI and VII.
I'mI was currentlyabout 25% through VII. Then my laptop took an error to the knee.
- Mario Kart - I pick Bowser, every time.
- Pokťmon - Through Generation III only, because I strongly dislike the direction things have been going since.
- Portal and Portal2
- Resident Evil: 4 and 5. I'll definitely be getting 6 when it comes out for PC.
- Super Smash Brothers Brawl - I use about a quarter of the characters, but I'm best with Zelda.
Wiki Magic Vandalism Section:
- Hey you. Thanks for teaching me a new word (if unintentional)! Is it Egregious in the Outrageous or the Terrible sense? :"> ~ Bresher
- No problem! It's both, or else I'd be "OutrageousOne" or "TerribleOne".
- Hey there, just wanted to say hi. Unprettier
- Why, hello!
- Hope it's okay that I stopped by to say hello! -Mokona Zero
- It's funny how I rarely have the urge to write on people's wall despite talking to them for a while, so I'm trying to write to pages of those who I think is genuinely cool. Which isn't a lot, honestly. Anyway, hi! -The Jinny
- Thanks kindly!
- Troper-tan, huh? can't tell if that's good, bad or supposed to be funny. ah, well. Thanks anyways! ^_^ -Knucklesthegreat
- It's mostly a good thing. :) Just a wild mass guess though.
- I'm just passing by to say hi to a rather cool fellow-troper! Keep on being excellent, pal!
...And, on a slightly unrelated note, I'd like to ask: Have you checked out Super House of Dead Ninjas? Since you're into challenging games, I think this one might be right in you alley!note — V Phantom
- Why, thank you very much; I'll certainly do my best to live up to your expectations! I hadn't heard of that game before, actually; I shall certainly have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation!
- Ohai Egregious. — Boxen
- Hey, thanks for stopping by! I haven't seen The Room yet myself; I take it that's one I shouldn't miss?
- You surprise me! I had you pegged as more of the high-brow type, honestly. I love Narm, so it's officially on my list now.
- 'Twas awesome to meet a fellow Touhou fan! We must play together soon. :D -The Mike
- Indeed it was! Prepare yourself, Sir. :) Egregious One
- Thanks again for the help with my contributor's page! Very much appreciated. —danna45
- My pleasure; I'm always happy to assist!
- THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PLAY A VIOLIN, THE BOW GOES IN FRONT OF THE BRIDGE NOT BEHIND IT DZDEFRFSZRFZDEAWRED — A facepalming Boxen
- Hah! Perhaps Moko-kun was merely astute enough to know that I actually don't play the violin at all. :)
- I loved all that kissing earlier... Can we do it again? —SaintDeltora
- My you're forward, for a saint. :)
- Chocolate Syrup ~ Yaoi Surprise, anyone? -The SuperUke
- Graze, graze, graze, graze, grazegrazegraze-pichuun-
- Hello! again. — Boxen
- NO I WILL NOT GET IN THE VAN D:< — Boxen
- Good, ahaha.
- Put the bang in interrobang? Why, whatever do you mean?~ -SuperUke
- Oh, you'll find out. ;)
- Dude. The Colony Drop thing. Just stahp.— Omega Shadowcry
- I do sincerely apologize for that coming across as a personal attack. It wasn't meant to be; that sort of thing happens a lot in the Tower thread.
- Its okay. I probably felt to tired to think up a creative response.
- Realised I haven't been here yet. So... now I have. Yep. Thanks for popping into the FG! ~GameSpazzer
- It's been my pleasure. :) Thanks for the visit!
- Egg-kun! It felt inappropriate for me to leave my clone without a personal hello. :P — TopographicOcean