Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Japanese), Joel McDonald (English)
The protagonist. He was assigned as Platoon E601's instructor.
- The Ace: Was this for his former platoon S128.
- Accidental Pervert: Frequently finds himself in situations where he is mistaken as a pervert.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Absolutely loves doing this to people he mentors, with Lecty and Misora being the prime picks. Flashbacks also showed that he did the same to Yuri when he was her mentor.
- Catchphrase: "Oh? I didn't tell you?"
- Dark Is Not Evil: His weapons are colored black and his Super Mode gives him a sickeningly black aura, yet he's the protagonist and is always looking for ways to help around the academy.
- The Comically Serious: He keeps his cool despite the weirdness of his proteges.
- The Gadfly: He loves teasing his proteges.
- Heroic RRoD: The reason why he prefers not to use his Devil Beetle powers since it eats away at his life force and permanently drains his mana reserves.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Called "traitor" by most. He doesn't let it deter him from doing his best to help in other ways.
- Knife Nut: Uses a small knife as a secondary weapon.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: Wields a magical cannon sword called the "Gladius" that can fire long-range blasts along with being an effective weapon up close. It bears much resemblance to the gunblade from Final Fantasy VIII.
- Neck Lift: He picks Misora up by the scruff after getting suspicious over why she turned down his offer of ice-cream. It turns out that she was preoccupied with E601's next match and wanted to squeeze in another training session.
- Nice Guy: Despite being hated by most everyone, the people closest to him know how helpful and hardworking he is.
- Oblivious to Love: Taken to such an extreme point that he thinks Yuri is lesbian. Unless he's just joking only to rile her up.
- Red Baron: He was called the "Black Master Swordsman" or "Kronos" in his heyday. After the incident in the first episode, he's now labelled as "Traitor".
- The So-Called Coward: He doesn't participate in combat much because he wants to hide his Devil Beetle powers and is called "traitor" or "coward" as a direct result. When he actually has to fight, however, he's unparalleled.
- Super Mode: After the battle in the opening of the first episode, he somehow gained the powers of the Devil Beetle, though not to the same extent as Nua. Not much is known about it, but it gives him tremendous strength and speed and a Healing Factor.
- Supporting Protagonist: He's the mentor figure, so most of the development is reserved for his platoon
- Trickster Mentor: His training methods are unorthodox and sometimes involve riling up his students.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Does this in the ActionPrologue to allow the team to escape.
- Yuri Fan: He ships Yuri with Chloe when she claims she likes people who are stronger than her. He does this again when she makes a cake with the text "I Love You", thinking that she's giving it to one of his students.
Voiced by: Nozomi Yamamoto (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English)
Platoon E601's leader.
- A-Cup Angst: When compared to her teammates.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: After Rico refuses to participate in a match, saying that E601 will lose anyway, Misora responds by getting on her knees and was about to beg her to take part, until Kanata interrupts her with a Neck Lift.
- Ancestral Weapon: Her weapon used to belong to her mother.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Despite working at a cafe her whole life and having a Supreme Chef father, she happily admits that she's not a good cook even when she follows recipes to the letter. Even her own mother was better and all she could make was Japanese steak/hamburger.
- Fiery Redhead: Has a head full of red hair and is consistently bull-headed when it comes to fighting.
- Honor Before Reason: The reason why she is obstinate on using the magical cannon sword is because her weapon belonged to her mother and she wanted to be like her.
- I Shall Taunt You: Learns to engage in this to get the enemy into a rage so her teammates can pick them off while they're distracted.
- Late for School: How she first meets Kanata, complete with a Crash-Into Hello and a Toast of Tardiness.
- The Leader: Is the acting commander for Platoon E601 before Kanata takes over as instructor. It should be noted, however, that she's about as incompetent in this position as her combat prowess due to her impulsiveness, so it's likely she's only the leader because the only other members are a Shrinking Violet who can't look people in the eye and a proud Narcissist who wouldn't be concerned with directing others.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: Like Kanata, she uses a magical cannon sword that is capable of firing magical pulses of energy.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Feels this way due to how fast her teammates are developing.
- Secret Keeper: Up until the battle of episode 12, she kept the fact that Kanata has devil beetle powers hidden from the others. When Kanata revealed it himself, she unwittingly lets it slip that she knew about it.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She has high mana reserves as well as good speed and stamina; the problem is that she's not skilled enough with her weapon to do anything with those reserves and her impulsiveness leads to her becoming predictable. Trying to grow out of this is the basis for her development. While she's still not winning any awards for outstanding combat by the time of the tournament, she makes up for it by fighting more cautiously and coordinating with her teammates so they can give her a game-winning shot.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu (Japanese), Dawn M. Bennett (English)
Another member of platoon E601. Her role is sniper.
- Always Someone Better: It turns out that part of her apathy and disinterest in her teammates is due to her feeling of inferiority towards her older sister.
- A God Am I: Unlike most examples, she merely proclaims this rather than actually seeking godlike powers.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Played with. She actually doesn't mind being the center of attention; it's just that her insistence on being a goddess drives people away from her.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She has high scores in written exams and is a very good shot, but she rarely bothers to show up to practical training.
- Brutal Honesty: She's not shy about pointing out Misora's flaws.
- Chuunibyou: Given her penchant of pretending that she's a goddess.
- Cold Sniper: Initially acts as such with her narcissistic persona.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She is initially uninterested in the affairs of her teammates, but she eventually warms up to them before the tournament.
- F--: Due to skipping out on her practical exam because she couldn't get her hair into shape, she received an F- for her practical exam, despite E being the lowest attainable grade.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She has quite the collection of them in her bedroom.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: She calls herself a "goddess" to hide her insecurity regarding her sister.
- Meganekko: She wears a pair of glasses whenever she uses her Clairvoyance skill.
- Narcissist: To the point of trying to kiss her own reflection.
- Sarcastic Devotee: She's pretty critical of Misora's leadership abilities and initially seems apathetic to her teammates. At the end of the day, she still defers to her leadership and cares about her teammates all the same.
- Supreme Chef: Potentially even better than Lecty. The addition of just one ingredient made Lecty's meal even more delicious, and when questioned further, she recites an entire list of ingredients that would complement Lecty's meal with ease.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama (Japanese), Megan Shipman (English)
Another member of platoon E601. Her role is close combat fighter.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Consistently on the receiving end of this from Kanata. Though she is initially flustered, she warms up to it over time, to the point where her Imagine Spot on the team's future should they win the tournament is simply Kanata congratulating her while petting her head.
- Apologizes a Lot: It comes with her shy personality.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: When she doesn't let her Shrinking Violet tendencies get in the way, she can be rather effective in close combat, to the point of holding her own against Kanata.
- Dual Wielding: Uses twin knives in combat.
- Expressive Hair: Those "dog ears" tend to wiggle wildly when she's happy or exited. They also wiggle when someone offers her ice-cream.
- Meido: As part of his plan to get her to overcome her social anxiety, Kanata has Lecty wear a maid outfit to pass out fliers and take customers' orders.
- Shrinking Violet: Painfully shy to the point where she will shift from focused one moment to flustered the next when fighting against a human opponent. Learning to grow out of this is the basis of her Character Development.
- Supreme Chef: In episode 10, Lecty offers to cook dinner for the team since the cafeteria already closed. Everyone agrees that it's absolutely delicious despite completely ignoring the written recipe.
Voiced by: Yuki Yamada (Japanese), Megan Emerick (English)
A guard captain of S128 and also a guardian of the floating city academy, Mistgun.
- A Friend in Need: Despite the fact that the rest of the academy hates him, Chloe still defends Kanata and gets him the assignment to instruct E601.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Kanata notes that whenever Chloe smiles in a particular way, troublesome things are sure to follow.
- Childhood Friends: With Kanata, having known each other since the age of seven.
- The Gadfly: Downplayed compared to Kanata, but it's evident that she also enjoys teasing others for her own enjoyment, particularly regarding Yuri's feelings for Kanata.
- Magic Staff: Her Weapon of Choice.
- Red Baron: "Nirvana".
- Took a Level in Badass: When Chloe first started out as a sky wizard, she couldn't even fly properly. Over time, she became one of the elites tasked with guarding Mistgun on the frontlines.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
A vice captain of Guardians.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: She stated in an interview that she's attracted to men stronger than herself. It's evident to Chloe and Lloyd that she means Kanata.
- Blade on a Stick: Her spear, Trishula, is a powerful Vibro Weapon that can cut matter on the molecular level.
- Broken Pedestal: She once idolized Kanata, but now she considers him a traitor like the rest.
- Defeat Means Friendship: She joins E601 subsequently after he team is defeated in the Mistgun tournament.
- Foil: To E601. She's a former student of his who has achieved a high rank as a guardian compared to the consistent failures of E601 prior to Kanata's involvement.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wears her hair like this.
- I Gave My Word: Joins E601 as a result of this.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She was knocked unconscious during the opening battle of Episode 1, so she wasn't aware of the circumstances that led Kanata to abandon their platoon in contrast to her teammates, though it's likely that they're keeping her in the dark on purpose at Kanata's behest.
- Mistaken for Gay: By Kanata, who thinks she's infatuated with Chloe in episode 8 and with one of the E601 members in episode 12.
- Punny Name: Her name is Yuri, and she's Mistaken for Gay, constantly.
- Tsundere: In the time frame following the battle in Episode 1, she has developed into a Type A towards Kanata. While it's clear to everyone in-universe that she still holds a candle for him, she denies it.
- Weapon of Choice: Discussed. She's better with a spear, but she prefers to use a sword. It's suggested that it's because the spear was Kanata's suggestion.
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara (Japanese), Ricco Fajardo (English)
Voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto (Japanese), Chris Guerrero (English)
A member of the Medical Division
- From Nobody to Nightmare: A Deconstruction. Yes, he goes from a Non-Action Guy to a superpowered Humanoid Abomination, but he lacks the training that actual combat mages have.
- Heel Realization: When Yuri sends him a bouquet while he's in the hospital, he seems to cry tears of regret.
- Lightning Bruiser: Most high-ranked mages can't keep up with his speed. Later on, he tanks one of Misora's shots, which are known to One-Hit Kill most tournament opponents.
- Mad Scientist
- One-Winged Angel: He gains a more monstrous form that far outmatches even Kanata's Super Mode, though the rest of E601 and Yuri manage to work together and take him down.
- Stalker with a Crush: To Yuri.
- Unskilled, but Strong
- Unwitting Pawn: To the sentient Chimera Core.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity
- Yandere:After hearing Yuri's speech about going for stronger men, he decides to inject himself with Chimera fluids and beat up several mages of increasing strength to test his newfound powers before beating Yuri. He's also insanely jealous of how close Kanata is to her.