When Van Helsing's mysterious invention, the "Monsterfication Ray", goes haywire, Drac and his monster pals are all transformed into humans, and Johnny becomes a monster! In their new mismatched bodies, Drac, stripped of his powers, and an exuberant Johnny, loving life as a monster, must team up and race across the globe to find a cure before it's too late, and before they drive each other crazy. With help from Mavis and the hilariously human Drac Pack, the heat is on to find a way to switch themselves back before their transformations become permanent.
Hotel Transylvania: Transformania provides examples of:
- Blinded by the Sun: In the trailer, after becoming human, Dracula finds out that he can safely step into the sunlight and not get burned. However, he doesn't realize the same doesn't apply to his eyes as he stares at the sun before complaining about them burning.
- Continuity Nod: Griffin mentions in the first film that he has curly red hair, after Dracula insults Johnny for his. In the trailer, when Griffin finally becomes visible, it turns out he wasn't kidding about his hairstyle and color.
- Humanity Ensues: The trailer shows that Van Helsing's Monsterfication Ray is able to transform monsters into humans, with Dracula and his friends subjected to this.
- I Just Want to Be Special: According to the trailer, Johnny fears that Dracula still doesnt completely accept him for being human. Luckily for him, Van Helsing has a solution.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The trailer shows that Van Helsing is a resident at Hotel Transylvania, spoiling both his appearance and HeelFace Turn in Summer Vacation.
- Naked People Are Funny: In the trailer, when Griffin becomes human (and thus loses his invisibility), he is naked, much to Murray and Wayne's horror.
- Race Against the Clock: As mentioned in the official synopsis, Drac, Johnny and their friends have to find a cure for their transformations before they remain humans and a monster for all time.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Promotional material shows that Johnny gets transformed into a tall dragon-like monster.
- Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Trailer: Despite becoming a fairly significant character by the end of the third film, Ericka isnt present in the first official trailer.
- Stopped Numbering Sequels: Unlike the last two sequels, Transformania is not explicitly numbered as Hotel Transylvania 4, though some promotions still labelled it with such.
- Swapped Roles: The trailer has Johnny lampshade how he became a monster and Dracula has turned into a human, "like Freaky Friday, but on a Tuesday, though."
- Transformation Ray: The trailer shows that the plot device of the movie is a wand-shaped device that transforms humans into monsters. It also has a dial setting to transform monsters into humans, which somehow gets used on Dracula and all his friends.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: In the trailer, one of the zombie bellhops becomes human again thanks to Van Helsing's ray, much to his joy. It doesn't last long, however, as he immediately gets bitten by a fellow bellhop and is returned back to zombie status.