I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the trope page that you cannot edit! I am... Darkwwwiiiiing Duck!
I bet you want an autograph. No really, it's no trouble. Take a few more for the kids. Or maybe you want to hear some of the tales of my derring-do and cunning cleverness?
At the start, Darkwing Duck struggled solo against the sinister scoundrels who stalked the city of St. Canard. However, little did I know that that was all to change. While investigating the theft of the Waddlemeyer Ramrod, I encountered for the first time a featherbrained flyboy, Launchpad McQuack (he eventually told me he was fresh from Scrooge McDuck's mansion in Duckburg... ya might have told me that earlier, L.P.) and a spirited little girl called Gosalyn Waddlemeyer. Originally, I didn't plan to keep either of them around for longer than it took to complete the mission — Darkwing Duck dares the denizens of darkness alone! However, the mission proved more problematic I presumed, and I was forced to interact with both for longer than I had intended... Okay, so they both grew on me, so sue me! After the defeat of the terrifying taurine, Taurus Bulba, I reunited with both of them and now we live together.
Now that you've heard that story, maybe you want to hear some specific samples of the circumstances of my crimefighting career? Very well... that is, since you insist.
Tropes I've left my mark on:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Ah, yes! This avian adventurer always amazes his adoring audience with awesome alliteration abilities.
- Affectionate Nickname:
- Launchpad calls me "D.W.", in or out of costume. I sometimes call him "L.P."
- Morgana calls me "Dark."
- Alliterative Name: Related to Added Alliterative Appeal, my superhero name is awesomely alliterative.
- All Just a Dream:
- You do not know how thankful I was to find out that the time I thought I was dead was this.
- The time I was about to kiss Morgana? Not so much. Especially once I found out I'd planted one on Launchpad instead.
- Arch-Enemy: Being a superhero, I have quite a few. Just to name a few of the foul fiends whom I frequently fight:
- That electromagnetic egomaniac Megavolt and I have been squaring off on a regular basis since our school days. (Apparently he was the school science nerd. Who knew?)
- My diabolical doppelganger Negaduck is my mirror image in every way (right down to thinking we don't get the respect we deserve), and so we're often at odds.
- The terrifyingly tyrannical bovine, Taurus Bulba, has had it in for me since I foiled his plan to rob the city blind with Professor Waddlemeyer's Ramrod. I've had it in for him ever since he tried to kill Gos to get his hands on the activation code for the Ramrod.
- Quackerjack. Especially watch out for his Electric Joybuzzer.
- Attention Whore: Attention —? Who wrote this? I am not a glory hound. I just have a healthy respect for my contributions to the welfare of the world, that's all. Okay, I do have a problem with this...but only a slight problem. Want an 8-by-5 glossy?
- Awesome Ego: Alright, alright, maybe I have a small ego problem. But considering my exploits once I say the Catchphrase, I live up to the billing.
- Badass Cape: And it looks great along.
- Badass Normal: Sure, it would be great to have some fancy powers, and I really like when I get temporary ones, but most of the time I only need my smarts and skills to defeat my felonious foes.
- Catchphrase: Oh, I have several ones; in no particular order...
"Let's Get Dangerous!"
"Suck GAS, evildoer!"
"Yep, yep, yep."
"Singed, but triumphant."
"I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the (noun that does / is something unpleasant). I am Darkwiiinnng Duck!"
- Cheap Costume: I made my first Darkwing disguise with props and clothing from my school's Drama Club; I admit I was lucky to find good enough stuff for a decent disguise, since I had to improvise it on the spot to stop Megavolt.
- Chick Magnet: All in a day's work for a hero. I got smooched by Neptunia and drew the attention of Morgana McCawber and other females I've run across with my smooth charm and dashing good looks.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: Yep, yep, yep, I have a great fashion sense. My standard crimefighting attire includes all three of these garments, all in dashing shades of purple.
- Combat Pragmatist: I'm quite good at thinking on my feet and improvising battle plans. That helps me defeat enemies that, admittedly, are too powerful for me to take on in a direct fight.
- Cool Bike: The Ratcatcher.
- Cool Plane: The Thunderquack — a gadget-laden, VTOL and hover-capable subsonic jet plane, created in my image.
- Create Your Own Villain:
- Okay, seriously, stop saying I created Liquidator!! I tried to save the guy when he fell in that contaminated water... that he contaminated in the first place!! Not my fault that he fell when trying to escape from me.
- Heh, funnily enough, the reverse version happened to me, since it was Megavolt's actions that made me become Darkwing Duck in the first place.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: With Let's Get Dangerous! in between!
- Dark Is Not Evil: For some reason, almost everyone seems to hate my darker persona. Even Launchpad mistook me for a burglar the first time we met.Well...
- Deadpan Snarker: One of my many talents is to taunt my enemies with clever one-liners, usually to really humiliate them once I've started destroying their plans.
- Despair Event Horizon:
- I actually came near this line thanks to Taurus Bulba. Fortunately, Launchpad's timely arrival snapped me out of it.
- In an alternate future, this is what led me to becoming an iron fisted dictator due to thinking Gos ran away.
- Determinator: It doesn't matter what you throw at me. Darkwing Duck always finishes the job!
- Distressed Dude: Distressed? Where did anybody get that idea? I just frequently get my enemies to let their guard down by — okay, I get tied up a fair amount. But Darkwing Duck always triumphs.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Like I mentioned — I can save the city a hundred times, and I'm still "Darkworm Duck" on the evening news. How is that fair, I ask you?
- Enemy Mine: Sometimes I've needed to team up with my enemies for the greater good... and in their case, because they'd have nothing to steal if the city gets destroyed.
- Everyone Went to School Together: Even I was surprised that the science geek in my class became Megavolt.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Sometimes I wish Gos wouldn't do this. Sometimes.
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: I was once invited to a costume party and wound up wearing my suit. Can you believe Herb Muddlefoot actually thought "no one would mistake me for the real Darkwing Duck"?
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: A machine of mine accidentally swapped me and Gosalyn and Launchpad and Honker. And let me tell you, being stuck in the body of a child can really get in the way of crime fighting.
- Friendly Enemy: I actually get along reasonably well with Megavolt and Bushroot when we're not trying to defeat each other, at least well enough to make a truce in Enemy Mine situations; after all, Sparky and I go way back, and Bushy just wants some buds to call his buddies.
- Future Me Scares Me: Gos once ran into an alternate future version of me called Darkwarrior Duck. Yeesh. The guy seriously needs some professional help.
- Gray and Grey Morality: I don't usually experience this since most of my rogues are outright villains, but I suppose I did go overboard with continuously calling Neptunia evil, but hey, it was my first time dealing with a Well-Intentioned Extremist.
- Handicapped Badass: Whether blind, restricted to a wheelchair, cursed with bad luck, or turned into an old man, I still manage to save the day.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: This happens so much it's not even funny. The citizens of St. Canard simply don't respect my stylish, non-traditional image. Okay, so I don't wear a lot of bright colors and I make my rounds near midnight; I am still the superlative superhero in the city!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: I admit L.P. gets on my nerves sometimes. All right, a lot of the time. But after facing malevolent malefactors like Taurus Bulba, Paddywhack, and the Fearsome Five — not to mention the far trickier task of raising Gosalyn while keeping the neighborhood in one piece — together, it looks like we're in it for the long run.
- I Just Want to Be Special: This is pretty much the main reason I became Darkwing Duck on the first place; as Drake Mallard, I have to admit, I was a nobody, but the moment I Jumped at the Call, I realized that, as Darkwing, I could make a difference, and people would actually notice me. Even now that I've reassumed my civilian identity to be a father to Gosalyn, I realize that a normal, civilian life doesn't fit me at all; just the idea of no longer doing my heroics has actually depressed me more than once.
- I Know Kung-Fu: Or, more precisely, Quack Fu; and I'm quite good at it, mind you.
- I Work Alone: To satisfy my ego ehem uh I mean, for everyone's else safety I sometimes prefer to handle big cases on my own. Unfortunately, in those cases, I do end up needing help to save the day.
- Impersonating the Evil Twin: More than once, I have posed as my devious doppelganger, Negaduck. And done myself proud, I might add. (So did he, but that's beside the point.)
- Informed Loner: Darkwing Duck relies on nobody but himself! Um... just don't look too closely at the... several people who tend to be associated with him.
- Last Disrespects: In the dream where I believed I was dead, I was chagrined to find that I was given a small, cheap cone with my picture on it as my tombstone.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: The Trope Namer. Yep, yep, yep. This is what I say when I'm ready to stop getting pounded and crush my enemies into little pieces.
- Literal Split Personality: When I got zapped by Megavolt's tron splitter, I was split into my good and bad sides. Launchpad and Gosalyn had to team up with Megavolt not only to put me back together, but to stop my supercharged evil half from tearing St. Canard apart.
- Made of Iron: I can get smushed, squished, pummelled, and anything else the bad guy can do to me, but Darkwing Duck always emerges singed but triumphant!
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: After being bitten by a mutant spider. It wasn't that bad... although #6 did drive me nuts!
- Multiple-Choice Past: My life prior to becoming a superhero is hard to understand. We have my Senior Prom where I became Darkwing Duck to stop Megavolt and the time my future self inspired me as a child to become a hero, plus the time I spent learning martial arts from Goose Lee. The story of me being a Superman Expy is completely fictional, however.
- Must Have Caffeine: You really don't want to see me in the mornings before I take a very good cup of coffee; and don't give me that look. If you were doing heroics all night, and then wake up very early in the morning to be a parent, you'd be the same.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: I first became Darkwing Duck, improvising a name and outfit on the spot, because someone had to stop Megavolt when he first appeared and attacked our school's prom dance... Heh, so, thanks, Sparky.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: You know how bad Taurus Bulba must be when you see how terrified I am to see he survived the ramrod explosion.
- Papa Wolf: Don't touch Gos. I'm warning you.
- Part-Time Hero: At first, I was on the job full time, but now that I have an adopted daughter, I have to dial back a bit.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite my smaller size, I can vanquish vile villains much larger than myself.
- Pride: Who, me? Surely you jest!
- Purple Is Powerful: Just look at my awesome outfit! In no less than three shades!
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Launchpad's laidback look contrasts quite sharply with my more passionate personality. Oddly though, he wears red and I wear purple (it's a bluish shade — close enough).
- Secret Identity Identity: As I already said, being a masked hero used to be a full time job, to the point I no longer used my civilian identity, at least until I adopted Gosalyn.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Shameless? Why should I be ashamed? I'm just making sure the public knows what it needs to know about its greatest hero — me.
- Shorter Means Smarter: I am quite clever, thank you, no matter how tall I am — certainly a lot smarter than Launchpad (not that that means much).
- Smoke Out: A specialty of mine. Of course, I prefer using the smoke for my great dramatic entrances rather than escaping.
- Something Person: Darkwing Duck. I also followed this pattern when I became Teapot Duck and Arachnoduck.
- Superheroes Wear Capes: A brilliant purple cape which superbly sets off the rest of my crimefighting costume. It has occasionally hit a few snags.
- Supernatural-Proof Father: I admit it took me quite a while to believe L.P. and Gos when they said there was something weird about that jack-in-the-box. Well, what do you expect? Gos had just buzzed me on my keister earlier; of course I thought it was just her playing pranks!
- Superpower Silly Putty: Despite regularly being a Badass Normal, I sometimes do end up with super powers: Super Speed, spider powers, Super Strength, growing into a giant, even got a super suit once. Interestingly, it was when I used my brains instead of the powers that I managed to save the day.
- Super Speed: I temporarily got this power when Negaduck blasted me with a proton accelerator. It was pretty handy, too bad it had the side effect of making me age rapidly.
- Swiss Army Gun: My trademark Gas Gun; despite the name, it does a lot more than shooting gas and smoke cartridges. I can use it as a Grappling-Hook Pistol, or adapt it to use 'toony' weaponry, like cartoon bombs and boxing gloves.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Whenever I have to work with that Obstructive Bureaucrat at SHUSH, Agent Grizlikov.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Splatter Phoenix once taunted me that I wouldn't hit her because she was a woman. Sadly, I had to agree — but Gos (as the Quiverwing Quack) was there, and she was happy to do it for me. Other times I've found effective ways to fight female fiends without hitting them.
- You Are Grounded: I say this to Gosalyn so often I could be a Trope Codifier. Ironically, the one time I did it when she hadn't done anything wrong (to try and protect her from Taurus Bulba) blew up in my face when it was what led to her being captured.