Characters are listed by appearance and folder.
The youngest daughter of Minato and Yukari, born from in-vitro fertilization. She's very much of a delinquent, a result from her feeling abandoned and how she was treated as her status as a technical bastard child. She unexpectedly awakens shortly after moving to Tokyo to attend Shujin Academy and ends up being the latest Wild Card.
Her initial Persona is Jeanne d'Arc or Joan of Arc, a heroine in France who helped crown Charles VII. She would eventually die due to being captured by the English, dying at the stake. However, in the 15th century, she is labelled as a martyr.
- Action Girl: Comes with her being a Wild Card.
- Always Someone Better: Comes to think of this towards Rui, who is beautiful, talented, and successful... not to mention her cousin.
- Anti-Hero: BIG TIME. She's a delinquent, doesn't have much desire to form bonds, and doesn't particularly care about Tokyo's situation in the beginning. She gets better through character development.
- Badass Biker: Rin owns a motorcycle, though in the beginning, it's back on Port Island. Mitsuru eventually arranges for it to be transported to Tokyo.
- Bastard Angst: She's not technically a bastard, as her parents got married before her older siblings were born but people still treated her like she was a bastard.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She met Akio as a child, when Yukari took her to Tokyo for a vacation. Rin mentions that the last time she saw Akio was a decade ago.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Played for laughs. Rin is far from pleased when Shadow Ryo charms Akio.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Rin has blue hair and blue eyes.
- Deadpan Snarker: Developed a snarky attitude due to her childhood.
- Disappeared Dad: Due to him sacrificing himself to become the Great Seal.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Rin could kick ass before she even awakened her Persona.
- First-Person Smartass: Rin tends to be quite sarcastic.
- Foil: She is this to Goro Akechi. They start out with similar backgrounds (albeit Yukari doesn't commit suicide, but Yukari is hardly around, leaving Rin to fend off for herself), and both acquire the Wild Card. In the beginning, Rin doesn't want to form any bonds with anyone, believing that they're just gonna leave or that they really don't care. Fortunately, character develop helps Rin grow past this.
- Rui is also another foil. They're cousins (Naoto is Minato and Minako's younger sister), and Rui is the next Shirogane detective. In Rin's eyes, Rui is perfect, with her beauty, intelligence, and accomplishments. However, both of them have issues with their family's legacy.
- The Fool: Her original arcana.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Picks up one handed swords, like her father.
- An Ice Person: Jeanne d'Arc uses ice skills.
- Like Father, Like Son: Neither Yukari or Rin really want to admit that Rin really takes after Yukari, with her short fuse temper, mood swings, and violent tendencies.
- Not to mention her clashing with the local Empress.
- Meaningful Name: Rin literally means cold and that both fits how her attitude is towards people and her element.
- Not So Different: To Yukari. Rin pushes people away, much like how Yukari is standoffish in Persona 3. Not to mention that Yukari is often absent in Rin's life, like how Yukari's mother was with her.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Rin's bad attitude is her defenses mechanism, but deep down, Rin really doubts her ability to improve or even have relationships with people.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Any kind of sweet.
- Tsundere: She's pretty tsun most of the time.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Apparently she was a very sweet girl when she was younger.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: She got this a lot while growing up, since Yukari was constantly away taking acting jobs.
The son of Ren and Anne Amamiya, a second-year attending Shujin Academy. Akio is rebellious in his own way, due to the expectations heaped on him as the son of a politician. Akio has a bit of a vigilante streak, believing in punishing people when the law won't.
Akio's Persona is Odysseus, the hero of the Odyssey, renowned by his wit as well as being a favorite of the goddess Athena.
- Alliterative Name: Akio Amamiya.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: His delinquent status doesn't exactly deter the ladies.
- Chick Magnet: Akio is rather popular with the ladies, though not always for the right reasons...
- Dumb Blonde: Averted. Many people just assume that Akio is stupid due to his attitude, but he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for.
- The Gadfly: Akio likes to troll. A lot. His favorite target is Sora.
- First Girl Wins: Akio is literally the first guy that Rin meets and they eventually get together.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Akio is an eighth Caucasian and he has blond hair.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Any kind of sweets for Akio.
The son of Yu and Rise and the final member of the founding trio. Sora is a famous idol whose alias is Sorata. Sora is on hiatus at his introduction, due to him losing his voice, so he's attending Shujin Academy while he recovers.
- Bad Liar: Sora isn't the best at coming up with lies on the fly.
- Battle Couple: With Rui.
- Bishōnen: Rin flat out says he's a pretty boy.
- The Casanova: The idol person that his agency came up with.
- Character Tics: Whenever Sora is either surprised or upset, his voice cracks.
- Chick Magnet: Sora has inherited his father's talent for attracting girls.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Rui. They've liked each other since they were young children.
- Color Motif: Red, which is noted for passion.
- Cool Sword: Wields swords.
- Cosmic Plaything: Poor, poor Sora. Life is never easy as the Magician.
- Fangirl: Gets a horde of them, due to being a famous idol.
- Fiery Redhead: His hair is auburn, but he is still depicted to be very Hot-Blooded.
- His Persona also controls fire.
- Gender-Blender Name: Sora is a unisex name.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He gets rather jealous whenever other boys pay attention to Rui.
- Healing Hands: The main healer until Michiko joins.
- Henpecked Husband: Of course, he and Rui aren't married, but Rui has him quite whipped, from the very beginning.
- Heroines Want Redheads: Is the love interest for Rui.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: I don't think this needs explaining.
- Hot-Blooded: His Persona is fire-oriented, after all.
- He also hasn't missed out on the Narukami temper.
- Idol Singer: Though he is going into a hiatus by his introduction.
- In-Series Nickname: Iruka calls him partner, though Sora doesn't exactly appreciate being called that.
- Katanas Are Just Better: While both he and Ryou use swords, Sora uses the lighter katanas, while Ryou uses two handed swords.
- Mama's Boy: He adores Rise and it's telling that he is the only one out of his siblings to follow her footsteps in becoming an idol.
- Nice Guy: He's a total dork, but really nice.
- Playing with Fire: His Persona's specialty.
- Red Mage: Sora is the main healer in the beginning, plus he also hits hard with his agi magic.
- Teen Idol: Just like Rise.
- Always Second Best: He feels this way, as he feels that he's talentless.
- Always Someone Better: His Shadow is about his insecurities that he's useless, compared to his siblings or friends.
- Battle Couple: With Akemi.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He's one of the goofier characters in the main cast, but he was taught martial arts by his mother.
- But Not Too Bi: While Iruka has stated that he is bi, he only forms a relationship with Akemi.
- He has admitted to having a crush on Sora in the past, but they were never involved.
- Butt-Monkey: Iruka just can't catch a break.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: He cannot be his usual perverted self with Akemi, whom he's had feelings for years.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Akemi.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Well, he is Yosuke's son, no matter how much he takes after Chie.
- Color Motif: His signature color is green, which ties in his jealousy issues.
- Curtains Match the Windows: He has brown hair and brown eyes.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
- Dual Wielding: He uses two kunai just like Yosuke.
- Generation Xerox: Let's see. He's the Chariot, like Chie was in Persona 4, his main color is green, and he wants to become a police officer, like his mother.
- His Shadow is also about jealousy.
- He also runs off when Akemi is stuck in her dungeon, much like how Chie had with Yukiko in Persona 4.
- He has a physical oriented Persona, like Chie.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Part of his Shadow has to deal with his jealousy of Sora's success as a teen idol.
- Idiot Hero: He has shades of this, being rather impulsive.
- I Just Want to Be Special: This is his main character arc. He's jealous of Rui's intelligence, Sora's success as a pop idol, and the fact that Akemi already has a purpose in life due to being the heir of the Amagi Inn.
- Leeroy Jenkins: As seen when he runs ahead in Akemi's dungeon.
- Mama's Boy: He also wants to follow in the steps of his mother and become a police cop.
The second daughter and child of Yukiko Amagi and her husband, Hayate, Akemi is the third Inaba second-year introduced to the story. Despite her cheery attitude, Akemi is secretly very depressed. The bulk of the reason is because she's frequently bullied by other students due to her mixed heritage (Akemi is three quarters Japanese, a quarter Russian), to the point where she attempted to dye her hair black to look more Japanese. None of this helps, and Akemi is driven to feel that there's no fixing this and attempts suicide by listening to the Midnight Station. Because of this, she's sucked into the Shadow world.
Akemi's Shadow dungeon manifests as a love cruise, showcasing her desires for love. After Akemi accepts her Shadow, it transforms into the Persona Hathor of the Lovers Arcana.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Akemi has been bullied a lot, due to people finding her to be strange.
- Badass Adorable: Yeeeeeep.
- Beware the Nice Ones: It's not wise to anger Akemi, despite her bubbly personality.
- Blow You Away: Her Persona's specialty is wind.
- Casting a Shadow: Her ultimate Persona can cast Darkness spells.
- The Chick: Not that it stops her from kicking ass.
- The Fashionista: She offers to give Rui a makeover during the beginning of the story.
- Genki Girl: Yeeeeeeep. Rui is usually describing her voice as bubbly.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears only some of her hair in pigtails, but still.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: Averted. Akemi actually really adores horror.
- Her love interest, Iruka, is the one who hates horror.
- The Glomp: Prone to doing this, especially on Iruka.
- The Heart: She even has a heart theme to accent this.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: She's blissfully unaware of Ryou and Iruka's innuendos.
- Mixed Ancestry: Akemi's father is half-white, making her quite alike to Anne Takamaki.
- Stepford Smiler: Type B. She acts happy and chipper, but the bullying secretly really bothers her.
- The Ace: Duh.
- Action Girl
- An Ice Person: Her initial Persona, Hatsheput, has ice abilities.
- Also fits with the facade she put up to fit in with the police.
- Animal Motifs: A subtle one, but hers is the butterfly, to represent her transformation throughout the story.
- Awesome by Analysis: Her observation skills allow her to piece together complicated puzzles. In fact, her TV dungeon involved jigsaw puzzles.
- Badass Bookworm: Just like her mommy, she's an ace detective and a Persona user. She has the Wild Card, to boot.
- Battle Couple: With Sora, both before and after they get together.
- Big Sister Instinct: To Yori, her five year old little brother.
- Born Detective: Is the sixth Shirogane detective.
- Used to be a Kid Detective, along with Sora, Iruka, and Akemi.
- Break the Cutie: See Heroic BSoD below.
- Broken Ace: She's a talented and famous detective, both book and street smart, but she is deeply insecure and feels distant from her peers.
- Casting a Shadow: Hatshepsut can use Mudo skills.
- Childhood Friends: With Sora, Iruka, and Akemi.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Sora, though it takes a while for them to get there. Shadow Rui also hints that she had feelings for him since they were five.
- Crime Magnet: At least it helps her career... right?
- Color Motif: Her signature color is blue - which represents calmness and serenity, the demeanor that Rui built up to gain respect with the police. In addition to that, blue can both represent masculinity and femininity, a major part of Rui's initial struggles.
- Comically Missing the Point: Can be socially awkward, like Naoto.
- The Comically Serious: She tries her best to be professional about the case, but it usually fails with the chaos that her teammates bring.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: After years of being a detective, almost nothing bothers her.
- Cuteness Proximity: She adores cute things, like Kanji, but she tries to suppress it as she grows older as she views it to be inappropriate.
- Daddy's Girl: Yeeeeeeeep.
- Deadpan Snarker: Big time.
- Even the Girls Want Her: When she starts attending Yasogami, she discovers that she has fangirls.
- Fangirl: She has these.
- She also adored watching magical girl anime when she was little.
- Gender-Blender Name: Rui is a unisex name, and Kashiwagi even mistakes her to be male when Rui meets her, due to her lack of assets.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She tries to suppress it at first, but Rui still loves stuffed animals. g
- Green-Eyed Monster: Rui becomes jealous upon meeting Kimiko, although she does not realize the reason why.
- Guile Hero
- Gun Fu: She has a pistol as her weapon.
- Hates Being Touched: Certain people are exceptions, but in general, hands off.
- Hidden Depths: She used to be an extreme girly girl, until a bully told her that feminine women could not become detectives.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: The tiny girl to Sora's huge guy.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Rui notes with regret that pursuing her dream, becoming a detective, had stunted her capability to befriend people.
- In the Blood: At her introduction, it seems that she's very much like Naoto. She even is the next Shirogane detective.
- Kid Detective: To the point where the police dismiss her.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Is very cynical about the world but insists on fighting to figure out the case.
- The Leader: She is the squad leader, as well as being the de facto leader of the mystery solving team.
- Legacy Character: She is Kanji and Naoto's eldest daughter.
- Light 'em Up: One of Hatshepsut's elements is Light magic.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: She starts to grow her hair out after she returns to being more feminine.
- Nice Hat: She has a hat similar to Naoto's.
- Oblivious to Love: Hoo boy. Let's just say that she takes after Naoto in this department and leave it at that.
- Older Than They Look: Just don't tell her this.
- Only Sane Man: She sometimes feels this way.
- Precision F-Strike: You know things are getting serious when Rui swears.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears this when she starts wearing the female winter Yasogami uniform.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She's the blue to Rin's red.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She has this to Naoto, having inherited Naoto's blue hair and androgynous features.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She's prone to calling certain members of the team idiots, but her sweet side does come more and more as the story continues.
- Tranquil Fury: Yeeeeep.
- Though this doesn't always happen.
- Used to Be More Social: There are multiple reasons for this, but the most obvious one is Being Personal Isn't Professional.
- Weapon of Choice: Her gun, which was gifted to her by Naoto.
- When She Smiles: Sora remarks in an early chapter that she has a beautiful smile and it really lights up her face.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Rui has inherited her father's temper. Fortunately, it's not a Hair-Trigger Temper.
- More that she's learned to control it... for the most part.
A member of the Shadow Operatives and the youngest son of Shinjiro and Fuuka Aragaki. He is introduced along with Taiga Takeba, during April when Akemi is still trapped in her dungeon, the Prank Hotel. Toshi is reserved and can't exert himself well, since he possesses a weak heart. Because of his weak heart, Toshi is slowly dying due to the lack of a suitable heart transplant. However, he continues to try his hardest to help everyone despite this. His Persona is Janus of the Fortune Arcana, the Greek god of beginnings, transitions, gates, doors, and endings. He eventually leaves Inaba to get his heart transplant. He also gains the ability to fight when his Persona transforms, and he returns as a fighting member of the team. His Persona eventually gives rise to Djehuty, an alternate name for the Egyptian god of wisdom, Thoth.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Has one with Ryo.
- Curtains Match the Windows: He has teal hair, teal eyes.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Is shown to be brilliant with technology.
- Ill Girl: Gender flipped trope.
- Living Lie Detector: His Persona allows him to be this.
- Mission Control: He takes over from Teddie... much to Sora's relief.
- Only Sane Man: He's stuck in this role until Kane joins the team.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Toshi has this with his older brother, Kane. Toshi takes after Fuuka, being more calm and reserved, talented with technology. Kane, as described by Taiga, is quite rebellious and callous, but with a inner soft side, much like how Shinjiro was in Persona 3.
- Sibling Team: He has this with Kane.
- Straight Gay: It comes out pretty much a surprise when the Inaba kids find out that he's gay.
- Take a Level in Badass: Janus eventually gains the ability to fight.
Michiko, at her introduction, is known as the daughter and heir of Mitsuru Kirijo, the leader of the Kirijo Group and the Shadow Operatives. Unlike the majority of the second generation who hail from Iwatodai, she is not an experienced Persona-user. She is kidnapped and thrown into the TV world after Tartarus manifests itself inside of it. Michiko is heavily pressured due to the fact that the Kirijo Group may be run out of business by the Sera Group. After facing her Shadow, she gains her Persona, Rhea, named after the Titaness mother of the six original Greek gods. Later on, Rhea evolves to Iset, an alternate name for Isis, the Egyptian queen of heavens and magic. Michiko is of the Empress Arcana, just like her mother.
Michiko is elegant and refined, very much a lady. She is quite talented in many aspects, and in turn quite proud and has very high standards. However, as the resident Empress, Michiko is the Team Mom, and the most maternal out of the group.
- An Ice Person: She even does executions like her mother.
- Combat Medic: Michiko's Personas possess the best healing spells but she isn't exactly a sitting duck with Rhea and Iset's ice spells.
- The Dreaded: Performs executions, something Rui very much takes advantage of.
- Healing Hands: She is the best healer of the team.
- Ice Queen: Not only is she the ice specialist regarding Personas, but she is quite aloof and distant at the beginning.
- Lady of War: Like mother, like daughter.
- Tetsuya, her older brother, was sent away for four years, and that just added to it.
- Oblivious to Love: She's completely clueless about Kane's huge crush on her.
- Royal Rapier: Her weapon of choice.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: And because of this, she's not entirely sure on how to interact with kids her age.
- Team Mom: Despite her being one of the youngest.
- She even starts fussing over Kane after he confronts his Shadow.
The youngest child of Akihiko and Minako, the female protagonist of Persona 3. She is Rui's younger cousin by a year, as Naoto is Minako's younger sister. Hotblooded and passionate, Hotaru has a strong drive to prove herself. She has a bit of an inferiority complex, since both of her older siblings have fighting Personas while her Persona, Theia, a Titaness and goddess of the moon, can only scan. However, she has awakened to her Persona already at her introduction.
- Always Someone Better: Definitely feels this way, with her mother and two cousins being Wild Cards, and the rest of her cousins and siblings having Personas who can fight.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not exactly deadpan, but Hotaru's pretty sarcastic.
- Even the Girls Want Her: And she wants girls too
- Gender-Blender Name: Hotaru is a unisex name as well.
- Height Angst: She's the shortest and not exactly... endowed. Though she just gets mad when people bring this up instead of angst about it.
- Inadequate Inheritor: She is this, in her eyes.
- Mission Control: Her Personas specialize in support and analysis.
- The Napoleon: She's hotblooded, aggressive... and the shortest member of the team.
- Pink Means Feminine: Averted, since she's the main tomboy of the group and her color is pink.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Warns of her temper.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: She's the female Butt-Monkey, to put it lightly.
- Straight Gay
- Take a Level in Badass: During the Arena arc, when her Persona transforms to fight, like Himiko does for Rise in Ultimax.
- Tsundere: She's a Type A, especially to Ryo.
The youngest child of Junpei and Chidori and a member of the Shadow Operatives, a first year. He arrives with Tetsuya, having been sent to aid the rest of the team in their cause. Initially, he's rather flirtatious towards the females of the team, but it's eventually revealed that he's actually gay. He is of the Magician Arcana, and that is the Arcana for his Social Link with Taiga, but for Rui he's Sun. His Persona is Apollo, the Greek god of music, poetry, art, oracles, archery, plague, medicine, sun, light, and knowledge. It later gives way to Horus, the Egyptian god of the sun and kingship.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Well... when it comes to Toshi.
- Casanova Wannabe: It's a front, in order to hide that he's gay.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Toshi.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Like father, like son.
- Fanboy: A closet fan of Sorata.
- Hot-Blooded: Well his element is fire, after all.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: This may be an Iori thing.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Taiga. Which is rather ironic given what Junpei and Yukari's relationship is like.
- Playing with Fire: The secondary fire user.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's the red to Toshi's blue.
- Straight Gay
- Transparent Closet: Sorry, Ryou, it's pretty obvious.
- Troll: He's best friends with Taiga, after all.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Has shades of this with Hotaru, who unleashes most of her tsun on him since his pervy moments really annoy her.
The oldest child of Mitsuru Kirijo and former heir before a certain incident occurred and he lost his status and was sent away for four years. He serves as the adviser and mentor to team, as he is the oldest at twenty years old. Coming off as aloof and unaccessable, it takes awhile for any of his Social Links to activate. For Rui, he is Tower, and for Taiga, he is Death.
- Badass Normal: In the beginning of the story, Tetsuya was trained in fencing. He even was willing to go into the TV with just a rapier to defend him.
- Big Brother Instinct: Anything threatens Michiko, and he's on it.
- Delinquent: Formerly.
- Fiery Redhead: Tetsuya has some... anger issues.
- Former Teen Rebel: Yep.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Poor, poor Kane. Tetsuya really doesn't approve of Kane being with Michiko.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Much like Mitsuru has bangs covering her face.
- The Quiet One
- Royal Rapier: His chosen weapon.
- Weapon of Choice: Rapiers, like Mitsuru and Michiko.