Characters that appeared in Yatera Keita's Onideka.
Note: To avoid confusion all names are in Western order.
This page contains spoilers. Tread carefully.
Hanao Kiryuin is the primary protagonist of Onideka and the first official giantess to appear. In school, she was an idol to the students though she never took any serious notice of their attentions and kept her focus entirely upon her Childhood Friend Takezo whom she had decided at a very young age that she would marry though she never mentioned any such thing to him.
Though called a princess by Takezo, Kiryuin is not afraid to get her hands dirty in fighting the other giantesses though her motives change following her fight with Kanae. While she fights primarily to return to her normal size and ensure that Takezo is returned fully to life, guilt has also started her on the path of being a hero due the damages caused by her and the other giantesses.
Initially, Kiryuin was unique compared to the other giantesses in that she did not have an alien residing in her but was still capable of enlarging to gargantuan proportions thanks to her emotional proximity to Takezo, whom the alien Cosmes resides in. Unfortunately, in her battle with Sumomo, Kiryuins size was reduced back to normal and Cosmes had no choice but to divide itself in twain and insert said piece directly into Kiryuin who has since started demonstrating similar abilities of the Chaos giantess.
- 100% Heroism Rating: While she is no less destructive than the other giantesses, her demonstrating her unwillingness to be destructive and striving to keep civilian casualties from rising have endured most, if not the entirety of Japan and Shanghai, to Kiryuin.
- Action Girl: Despite being a princess and an School Idol, Kiryuin is surprisingly good at fighting. No master martial artist but she doesnt go down without a serious fight and even then not for long.
- Beauty = Goodness: Since a piece of Cosmes has entered her body, Kiryuin has started to think that because she is cute that she is good and by default, the one who is meant to save the world from the other giantesses.
- Big Eater: Sort of inverted. Were she her proper size, Kiryuin would not be this but considering how much shes grown, she needs large quantities of food to eat. Inverted completely when Kiryuin grows to truly gargantuan proportions.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Following the fight with the Tiger Twins she dumped Takezo in order to keep him safe from harm and ensure that she can fight, and defeat, the other giantesses without risking his life.
- Calling Your Attacks: Only for her finishing move the Kiryuin Kick, which has since served as the Final Blow to every giantess Kiryuin has fought.
- Cannot Spit It Out: To a frankly frustrating degree as its plainly obvious to anyone that Kiryuin is in love with Takezo. Even Kotora, the older of the Tiger Twins, is able to surmise that Kiryuin has feelings for someone.
- Car Fu: By way of tossing said cars. While not that effective, Kiryuin managed to give Kanae a bloody nose to match Kiryuins own.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Takezo though they Cannot Spit It Out.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Following her fight with the Tiger Twins, Kiryuin has started to feel guilty of the resulting destruction from her fights and is starting to use this as a reason to continue fighting regardless of the fact that the more she fights, the more likely it is that further damages will ensue as she, and the other giantesses, continue to grow in size. Add in the fact that the piece of Cosmes inside her is starting to warp her mentality...
- Crush Blush: With Takezo.
- Curtains Match the Window: Kiryuin is a natural blond and has golden eyes to match.
- Cute Giant: Stated multiple times throughout the series by herself and countless others.
- Declaration of Protection: See the character quote at the top of this folder.
- Draw Aggro: Whether because she represents a different ideal from theirs or because of her differing circumstances involving Cosmes, Kiryuin seems to constantly draw the ire of other giantesses and always ends up fighting them. She has used this to her advantage as well by way of luring some giantesses, like Kanae and the European Giant Girls Union, away from crowded places.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Truth, at least for a majority of the world supporting Kiryuin including, but not limited to, nearly all of Japan.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Like all the other giantesses, this is the root of Kiryuins power, specifically The Power of Love that people, especially Takezo, feels for her.
- Hime Cut: Definitely and miraculously manages to stay this way even in the midst of some pretty heavy fighting.
- Huge Schoolgirl: No duh though huge is rather subjective to her current size which ranges from her initial height of 20 meters to over a kilometer by the time she reaches America.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Kiryuins initial, and still primary, reason for fighting the other giantesses despite Takezo stating that she should not have to nor should she feel that she ought to. She believes that once they are all defeated that she will return to her normal size and Takezo will be restored to life.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: One of the reasons why Kiryuin dumps Takezo, to ensure that he will not only be safe from harm but so that he might have a chance of being happy.
- Improvised Weapon: Kiryuin has used cars as throwing weapons and a cargo boat as a melee weapon when fighting Kanae and the Tiger Twins respectively.
- Kick Chick: Aside from her finishing move, the Kiryuin Kick, Kiryuin tends to use kicks in her fights.
- Love Interest: To Takezo though both of the Cannot Spit It Out.
- Luminescent Blush: Tends to happen whenever her heartthrobs via actions undertaken by Takezo or Cosmes using Takezo as a Meat Puppet. Also tends to occur whenever anyone happens to mention the possibility of Kiryuin loving Takezo and vice versa.
- Never Be Hurt Again: Following his near death via Sumomo and the sheer agony she felt at the sight of his seemingly dead body, Kiryuin refuses to let anything bad happen to Takezo again, even going so far as to say that she hates him to his face and the open ears of those who are under her influence .
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: This is what Kiryuin feels for her current situation as a giant and refuses to believe that her and Takezo can have any kind of relationship so long as she remains a giant and the threat of other giantesses remains.
- Nosebleed: Inverted. Far from the atypical perverted reaction, every fight shes had thus far has resulted in Kiryuin getting a bloody noise if only for a few panels or pages.
- Obliviously Beautiful: Kiryuin is aware that shes cute, and even says such at times, but has never quite clicked until recently that she is considered beautiful enough to cause the hearts of countless people to throb for her.
- The Power of Love: With the piece of Cosmes residing within her, Kiryuin no longer needs to have her heartthrob from Takezo alone. Thanks to the heartthrobs of those watching her fight with the Tiger Twins, Kiryuin nearly tripled in size. Going from 120 meters note to 360 meters note .Cosmes: Heartthrobs will save the world. The more your heart throbs, the bigger and stronger you become.
- The Protagonist: No duh.
- A Protagonist Is Ryu: Not too noticeable, but her name is Ki-ryu-in. She even gets compared to a dragon in the battle against the tiger twins.
- School Idol: Played straight and inverted. Kiryuin is the idol of the school and most boys are willing, and gladly able, to fight for her affections but Kiryuin herself was never fully aware of this. Rather, she knew it more as background noise as her eyes, and heart, were only for one boy in particular.
- She's Got Legs: Kiryuins signature move, the Kiryuin Kick, tends to show off her legs quite nicely. Add in the fact that shes (currently) stuck wearing a high school uniform with the atypical sailor skirt
- Size Shifter: Kiryuins size is constantly shifting. Initially, and still, due primarily to how her heart throbs for Takezo but thanks to a piece of Cosmes residing within her, the heartthrobs of other people are also now effecting her size though at a far slower, though no less great, rate than Takezo.
- Kiryuins initial size, from a fans rough estimations, was around 20 meters tall and following the battle with the Tiger Twins, she appears to stand around 360 meters.
- Tsundere: Kiryuin is this, particularly whenever Takezo is involved. Double so for their (currently nonexistent) romantic relationship.
Kanae: The Maid
Kanae is the first giantess to appear, second only to Kiryuin and again for another currently nameless girl whose physical appearance was changed enough that bore more of a resemblance to a kaiju. As a child, Kanae was enraptured by the concept of idols, and made it her dream to one day become one herself.
Befriending a pair of like-minded girls, Kanae tried to start her own underground idol group known as Maids. Unfortunately, due to being not having any proper sponsorship, or even a producer, Maids popularity was severely lackluster with only die-hard otakus even recognizing them. Their first performance was a flop and following a fight with her friends, Kanae was found and bonded with a Chaos and turned into a giantess standing at about 50 metersnote in height.
Her ideal is that of envy and pride insomuch that she has to be the center of attention and should anyone look down upon her, well, its perfectly okay for her to beat them to a bloody pulp, yes? She will switch between being a cutesy maid idol to a murderous, and rather crude-mouthed, maniac willing and able to cause a lot of damage and harm to anyone she feels is not giving her the attention she deserves.
Kanae was the first giantess to demonstrate the crowd enticement later giantesses would utilize to far more frightening degrees but it was not recognized for what it was due to a good majority of the crowd and even some fans sympathizing with Kanae well before her fight with Kiryuin.
- Aggressive Categorism: Kanae has a lot of negativity aimed towards Kiryuin despite having never having seen her prior to their mutual emergence as giantesses.
- Attention Whore: A heck of an understatement:Kanae: Im being watched Yeah, look at me more everyone! More! More! More KEEP LOOKING AT ME!
- Berserk Button: With a dash of Hair-Trigger Temper, Kanaes gets pressed the moment she gets a Nosebleed from Kiryuin throwing a car at her face.
- Big Damn Heroes: She and her old friends help Takezou escape from prison and make a mad dash for Kiryuin.
- Cute and Psycho: See above character quote and Attention Whore.
- Cute Giant: Kanae considers herself one and even a steadily rising idol to boot. To be fair shes not wrong to think this given her ability to sway the crowd to her ideals.
- Desperately Craves Affection: To an admittedly creepy degree. When she saw that Kiryuin had swayed the crowd to her side upon growing bigger, Kanae tried to flash her panties at them to win them back.
- Drama Queen: Kanae tends to act as such whenever she feels shes not in the spotlight and doubly so whilst fighting Kiryuin.
- Driven by Envy: Pretty much Kanaes entire motivation in fighting Kiryuin whom she feels has stolen the spotlight from her being the first Cute Giant. To be fair, had the timing been different, Kanae would have been the first giantess to appear.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Kiryuin.
- Hair Decorations: Kanae wears a maids headband atop her head.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Once more, quite an understatement with Kanae who can and will fly off the handle whenever she perceives things arent going the way she wants them to be.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Much of her irrational anger stems from the fact that she has made so many sacrifices and put in so much effort, yet prior to becoming a giantess all she and her group had were a few niche fans, leading to her group breaking up and leaving her depressed and bitter.
- Huge Schoolgirl: She does start out bigger than Kiryuin. Though it doesnt stay that way for long
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: By her own admittance, Kanae has worked hard to look the way she does, learning how to do makeup herself to look pretty, eating cheap food in order to save up for expensive clothing, and updating a blog that nobody has read.
- Improvised Weapon: Kanae makes use of a train as a three-piece nunchuk. Her reasoning for even knowing how to do this is because an idol has to have an unexpected talent.
- It's All About Me: Kanae almost states this tropes name word-for-word on more than one occasion.
- Irrational Hatred: Kanae loathes Kiryuin to this degree. Funny thing is, she had never even heard of Kiryuin until she saw the news report about Kiryuins recent fight on the jumbo screen across from the building she was sitting on. She then promptly destroyed it via a swift kick.
- Meido: While she aspires to be an idol, Kanae prefers to dress, and act, like the idolized version of maids that has arisen in otaku culture.
- Mood-Swinger: Kanae tends to go back and forth between being a proper Meido and a Green-Eyed Monster with certain triggers. Namely whenever people are paying more attention to Kiryuin than her.
- Stealth Insult: Kanae does this a lot with Kiryuin and even the crowd of people watching her.Kanae: Wow, youre so small and cute and detestable!
- Twin Tails: Kanae wears her hair like this.
- Verbal Tic: "Pyon!" Eventually, Kiryuin gets sick of it.
- Would Hurt a Child: With a dash of Would Harm a Senior too. Kanae would gladly hurt whole crowds of people if thats what they want from her, or more specifically, if thats what she feels that they want.
Sumomo Momoi: The Comedian
Sumomo Momoi is the second giantess to appear, and is in league with her politician brother to have Osaka secede from Japan. Sumomo was enraptured by a young man named Hide in her youth, who was a wannabe comedian who tried to get everyone to laugh. Tragedy struck when he was the victim of a car crash and died.
Sumomo and her brother mourned his loss, and Sumomo herself decided to take what she inferred was his ideals and always take things with a hearty laugh. Later on, she was found and bonded with a Chaos, allowing her to become a giantess standing 70 meters tallnote and pursue her ideal of making the world laugh.
- Barefoot Loon: Following her Comedic Underwear Exposure, Sumomos loses her crocs and goes about barefoot.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Though she tries to come off as a comedian and does everything for a laugh, Sumomos sense of humor tends to leave a lot of property damage.
- Blind WithoutEm: Cannot see without her glasses.
- Cerebus Retcon: Her bad sense of humor is shown to be as a result of her trying to emulate Hide's bad sense of humor and make his ideals live on.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: She gets her pants pulled down during her fight, only to reveal she's wearing a bathing suit underneath.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She's not nearly as harmless as one might assume off the bat, she may have a bad sense of humor, but she knows how to control the crowd and can put up a nasty fight hand-to-hand.
- For the Funnyz: Pretty much Sumomos reason for everything she does as a giantess and after she returns to normal.
- The Idiot from Osaka: She plays the jokester version of this stereotype for all it's worth.
- "Just Joking" Justification: She takes all of the mayhem she's causing in stride, all to spread more laughter across the world.
- Knight of Cerebus: She would introduce a significant tone shift partway through her fight, and her fight itself had Kiryuin on the retreat for a spell which was a feat Kanae couldn't even live up to.
- Meganekko: She sports a pair of glasses. She even had these during her school days.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Sumomo is shown to have far too many pointy teeth than is normal, particularly when shes being intimidating.
- Ms. Exposition: When she returns during the Tiger Twins duel, she lays out many of the big revelations about the Cosmes and the More Than Mind Control aspect that they all share.
- Ms. Fanservice: While the other giantesses could most definitely count, she stands out since she's the only one going around in a bathing suit through most of her battle.
- Panty Shot: Subverted, after a quick Comedic Underwear Exposure incident, she reveals it's actually the bottom of her swimsuit.
- The Prankster: Sumomos whole goal is to get people to laugh, especially herself. She can, has, and will resort to doing anything she thinks will be even the tiniest bit funny, regardless of the harm it brings to others.
- Sad Clown: Despite her jokester attitude, she's actually quite scarred deep down, and is using the advice of her deceased friend Hide as a coping mechanism.
- Scary Teeth: Particularly when her smile is upside down.
- She'sGotLegs: Given she spends a good time rampaging in a bikini
- Wham Line: "And that Black Cosmes. Mine started out white too."
- Would Hurt a Child: Purposefully dropped Takezo to his death in order to get the upper hand on Kiryuin and For the Funnyz. Thankfully, Takezo was able to walk it off.
Hatora and Kotora: The Tiger Twins
Twin sisters of poor upbringing, Hatora (Little Tiger) and Kotora (Big Tiger) were raised by an old sage who became their surrogate father. Through him they learned kung fu and lived a peaceful life. One day however, their master grew ill and soon met his end at the bedside of the twins.
Blaming themselves for their master's death, they decide to become stronger to uphold his memory, which is when a Chaos appears and bonds with the two of them, allowing them to reach a height of 120 metersnote .
Once news spreads of Kiryuin's arrival, the two decide to let their ideals be known in response, with them seeking rebellion against the Chinese government and invoking total anarchy among the streets.
- Anime Chinese Girl: The twins are this trope on a 120-meter scale, complete with a traditional Chinese dress and kung fu prowess.
- Brought Down to Normal: Hatora removed her sister's Chaos, so now she's just an ordinary pedestrian. (bar the kung fu)
- Comical Overreacting: Kotora tends to be very surprised by all of the mayhem her younger twin Hatora is wanting to start, often boggling out at her straight-faced declarations of revolution.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Kotora proves to be a pretty big klutz despite all of her kung fu prowess, with her entering battle by tripping. Not too long later and Hatora follows in her footsteps by attempting to "use her head", and get stuck in a building.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Kotora sacrificed herself to save Hatora, Hatora took her sister's Chaos and doubled in size to 240 metersnote , all the while grieving the loss of not only her master, but her sister too.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kotora took the brunt of a missile strike to protect her younger twin from harm. Hatora in return took her Chaos and doubled in size in order to avenge her.
- Identical Twins: They share extremely similar features that could make it hard to follow who's who. The most distinguishing aspect they have are their eyes, with Hatora have slightly sharper eyes and Kotora having slightly rounder eyes.
- Ignored Aesop: Their master warned the two of them to not trust in power alone, and that strength isn't everything. Upon his death, Hatora ignores this warning and seeks more power in order to create a revolution, while Kotora remains conflicted, but ultimately goes along with her sister's wishes.
- Irony: The twin with the fiercest temperament is Hatora, the younger twin, while Kotora the oldest twin is the one with a much more shy temprement. Hatora also ends up being the biggest in a literal sense after absorbing her sister's Chaos.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Kotora ends up becoming this for Kiryuin after their battle, with her wide-eyed naivete being the source of many jokes.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Hatora is the Red Oni, having a fierce demeanor and being very passionate. Kotora is the Blue Oni, being much more reserved and worried about the situation.
- Token Good Teammate: Kotora is not nearly as violent as her sister and tries to avoid wanton destruction just like Kiryuin.
Giantess, a female giant: either a mythical being resembling a woman of superhuman size and strength or a human woman of exceptional stature. Often abbreviated into GTS by fans of the genre, the giantesses of Onideka are girls from all walks of life but who all share a large number of similar tropes.
While serving as the primary antagonists of the series, there is yet to be a common name attributed to them all though each giantess has earned a title that is attributed to them based either on their appearance or where they specifically appeared.
Below is a list of tropes and traits that can be attributed to every giantess.
- Above Good and Evil: Each giantess has a motive behind their actions and believes that their actions should not be held to the same standards as anyone else.
- Always Female: Giantess = Female Giant.
- Attack Of The 50 Ft Whatever: Pretty much par for the course for anything to do with giantesses.
- Came from the Sky: Each giantess was met by a beam of light that fell from the sky, carrying with it a Black Cosmes or Chaos whichever you prefer.
- The Corrupter: While the Chaos inside them makes the giantesses more susceptible to following the ideals, regardless if they should, they can also entice crowds of people to their ideals.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Each giantess has had some traumatic event(s) that lead to them being chosen by a Chaos and turned into a giant.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: When defeated by Kiryuin, the giantess explodes in a cloud of smoke before reverting to normal size.
- Fanservice: Inverted and at times played with. There are moments of fanservice, but the common opportunities are not utilized to the frequency they usually are.
- The Fundamentalist: Some giantesses are a bit more extreme than others but this is how they all feel about their particular ideal.
- Giant Woman: Duh.
- Goal in Life: Played straight and inverted. Inverted in that it was the failure of achieving said goal that drew the Chaos to them in the first place and upon being turned into a giantess they try to accomplish once more to far greater extremes as a means of saving the world through that ideal.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Inverted. Contrary to the medium and even the GTS genre, all of the giantesses shown thus far look like ordinary girls and young women with few to no exaggerated features, at least in terms of Fanservice.
- More Than Mind Control: Each giantess is able to entice crowds of people to their ideals though the effectiveness of this ability depends on the openness of a persons heart to that ideal. The more open the persons heart to their ideal, the more likely a person is to succumb to the giantess will and follow their words to the letter. Kiryuin is also starting to develop this ability.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: While far from being muscular, each giantess has demonstrated a high level of strength due mostly to their change in scale.
- Not Himself: Thanks to the Black Cosmes inside of them constantly chanting for them to follow their chosen ideals, each giantess tends to act in ways that are far from how they normally behaved. It can also be because their change in scale has also lowered their sense of inhibitions.
- Omniglot: Though unable to understand any other language besides their own when dealing with normal-sized people, each giantess is capable of communicating with and understanding each other despite not knowing the language spoken.
- Our Giants Are Bigger: Each giantess that has appeared seems to be getting progressively bigger with each appearance with the first, Kanae, being somewhere around 50 meters tall while the most recent, Hannah, is over 530 metersnote .
- Panty Shot: Inverted. Even when a giantess is outright flashing a crowd, there is always convenient censoring or angles to prevent this.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Each giantess has shown the potential to be this to varying degrees. Given that casually walking can cause a large amount of damage to roadways one can only imagine what theyd accomplish if they were actively trying.
- Personality Powers: Some giantesses are shown to have developed other powers aside from the More Than Mind Control ability, i.e. Cecilia (the Russian Giantess) is An Ice Person while Savitri (the Indian Giantess) can float and spew fire.
- Proud Beauty: To varying degrees with each giantess but they are aware of peoples attention upon them and flaunt themselves at every opportunity.
- Scenery Censor: Oftentimes used to stop the above-mentioned Panty Shot and other bits of Fanservice.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: All of the Chaos giantesses have this mentality with some, like the Tiger Twins, declaring that because they were chosen by the heavens that it is their right to do what they want no matter the results of said actions.
- Stealthy Colossus: For reasons not yet revealed, many giantesses seem to, quite literally, spring up seemingly out of nowhere with no clear sign as to how they got to where they are without anyone spotting them. While it has been hinted at that some governments are repressing any information posted online, its still rather ridiculous how much ground some giantesses manage to cover without anyone else noticing
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: Each giantess plays host to an alien life form commonly known as either a Chaos or a Black Cosmes which bestows upon them their incredible change in size, More Than Mind Control, and even other abilities.
- Super Empowering: Aside from their enormous size and uncontrolled subliminal crowd enticing, some giantesses have also displayed powers unique to themselves such as Cecilia, the Russian Giantess, having creating blizzards or Savitri, the Indian Giantess, being able to float in midair.
- The Team: Twelve giantesses in Europe decide to work together to try and take Kiryuin down, forming the European Giant Girls Union. One of the fighter pilots escorting Kiryuin comments that the scene looks like one straight out of Greek Mythology, specifically the Titanomachynote .
- Theme Naming: The First Wave of giantess are commonly given titles based on either their appearance or the area they appeared whereas the Second Wave of giantesses are all commonly referred to by their respected countries, but are also given distinctive titles when they first emerged.
- Kanae: The (Idol) Maid/Akihabara
- Sumomo Momoi: The (Wannabe) Comedian/Osaka
- Hatora and Kotora: The (Kung Fu) Twins/China
- Cecilia: Chiefs Daughter/Russia
- Berry Berry: Trendy Model/France
- Godina: Cleopatra/Runaway Girl/Egypt
- Riley: Unemployed Adventurer/Australia
- Savitri: Helper of the Poor/India
- Beatrice: Ace Midfielder/Brazil
- Meryem: Genius Workshop Employee/Turkey
- Phan Phan: High-Class High School Lone Wolf/Vietnam
- Esmeralda: Wildcat Store Eye Candy/Spain
- Wangari: Survivor of the Rebellion/Kenya
- Hannah Hannah: Queen Bee/Head of the School Caste & the Hannah Sisters/America
- Touched by Vorlons: Each and every giantess, and later Kiryuin has an alien life form collectively known as Cosmes, Chaos, or Black Cosmes inhabiting them.
- Tragic Dream: Of the first wave of giantesses, each of them has had a dream that they strived to achieve and ultimately failed to meet. Upon being inhabited by a Chaos, the giantesses strive to achieve their dreams once more under the guise of saving the world.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: We have seen one for each of the giantesses that were part of the first wave and will likely see more for those of the second.