Character page for Behind The Veil.
A Garou from the Silver Fangs tribe.
- The Ditz: Can come across as this, but mostly because he's been kept away from human society. He's quite intelligent in actuality.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's third in line for the throne of his house, but is just as much a warrior as any other Ahroun.
A Garou from an unknown tribe, possibly Shadow Lord or Glass Walker.
- Accidental Murder: Like most young Garou, he killed someone when he had his First Change.
- Cute Bruiser: Even though he's a Garou and can tear a human being in half, in his biggest form he's only six feet tall and still obviously a little kid. Just don't remind him.
- Unstoppable Rage: Since he's only twelve and isn't great at impulse control to begin with, he's very prone to Frenzying.
Dustin "Dusty" Pinfeather
A Kinfolk in his mid-twenties.
- Ambiguously Brown: Half-caucasian, half-Sioux, Dusty often passes himself off as being Hispanic.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Even when he's sober, Dusty tends to diverge from social norms as a matter of habit.
- The Trickster: Dusty is purely mortal, but apparently possessed of amazing, simultaneous streaks of good and bad luck. His philosophy on life is that everyone needs a good bad example, and thus sets out to be just that.
A Garou from the Bone Gnawer tribe.
- Defector from Decadence: Was the daughter of a Black Spiral Dancer, but fled before dancing the spiral.
A Nuwisha in her mid-twenties. Her Totem is Xochipilli
- Break the Cutie: Subjected to spiritual disease, starvation, abandonment, horrific battle wounds, loads of emotional distress, and the death of family. If someone could push Haley into traffic she'd have filled her 'trauma bingo' card. Oh, wait...
- Cute Bruiser: That pretty little Crow girl will put you through a wall, with a smile.
- The Drifter: Though she often refers to herself as 'the Fixer', Haley fits this trope quite well. She can't go a week without spotting something sad or unjust and sticking around to make it right.
- Humanity Is Infectious: Literally in at least one case. Also subverted: Haley has not only learned positive lessons, but negative ones about shame, regret and homesickness as well.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Under the guise of her Garou alter ego, Ashkit Wiggle-in-her-Walk, Haley has used dirty limericks, impromptu acrobatics, strange beatnik poetry, non-sequiturs, reckless substance abuse and countless other wild antics to convince the whole Sept of wolves that she's out of her friggin mind. Ashkit makes the Nuwishas identical-twin-kinfolk-identity, "Haley", look normal by comparison.
- Rapunzel Hair: Thick, butt length and still growing.
A Kinfolk from the Shadow Lord tribe, formerly Silver Fang.
- Odd Couple: Stoic, straightlaced, uptight Jason's best friend is lazy, Hollywood-loving playboy Lloyd Weston.
A Garou from the Bone Gnawer tribe.
- Abduction Is Love: Towards June. She kidnapped him and he's smitten with her as a result.
- The Reason You Suck Speech: Jon attempts this on the Theurges and Galliards of High Ears, but it falls short for several reasons, which also eclipse the good points he did make. He later gives another one to Luke O'Conner over his motivations for trying to stop the kin-butcher.
A teenage Garou from the Black Fury tribe.
- I Didn't Mean to Turn You On: Ever since she acquired Jon, she has been oblivious on how she drives him crazy - and Haley wants to get has gotten her sweet lady kisses.
Kathleen Elizabeth Stones-Secret-Eyes Allan nee Rothchild
A Garou from the Silver Fangs tribe. The current alpha of the Archangels pack.
- All Lesbians Want Kids: Averted: the thought of getting pregnant and childbirth terrifies Kathleen.
- Cool Sword: She has a klaive, The Gleam Of Eagle's Eye, which was passed down by her ancestors and has been a very loyal friend.
- Every Scar Has a Story: Has her fair share of scars, including one around her neck where she was almost completely decapitated. Since they are marks of renown in Garou society, each one has a story associated with it.
- Fantastic Racism: Kathleen makes no bones about hating Mages, Fera and anything else that isn't Garou, kinfolk or human, a point of view common to her tribe
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Due to the Silver Fang flaws she occasionally suffers this when stressed or placed in overly emotional situations, blanking out completely.
- Traumatic Haircut: After trading Jason away to May, she was kidnapped and given one of these by Roxanne.
A Kinfolk from the Get of Fenris tribe.
- Because You Can Cope: Not only was she neglected by her mother for her true born brother, but she has been enslaved by those she loved most, left to beaten and to die in battle.
- The Blacksmith: Her main skill, having opened her own forge and making high quality weapons, all of which she knows how to use.
Lloyd Lens-Flare Westen
A Garou from the Glass Walker tribe. The omega of the Archangels and the last founding member.
- Cowardly Lion: So very much. Despite his cowardly tendencies he has only ever fled from one fight, which resulted in Kathleen almost being decapitated.
- That Man Is Dead: Lloyd to his Marty Wright persona.
- Unfortunate Names: His original birth name was October Moonsky Rebellion.
- Vision Quest: Taken on one by Haley to help him through a rough patch in his life.
A Kinfolk from the Children of Gaia tribe.
- All-Loving Hero: Megan has won over plenty of tough customers during her quest to unite the kinfolk of Los Angeles, mostly through sheer perkiness and refusal to give up on her quest to save them all.
- The Cutie: Her wholehearted faith in people, compounded by her boundless enthusiasm, draws people in.
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: Megan's speech is liberally peppered with 'like' and 'totally'.
A Kinfolk from the Shadow Lords tribe.
- It's Personal: To Kathleen Allan after the latter sold Jason to a Mage.
- More Deadly Than the Male: The Pavlencos and their branch families have spent centuries cultivating this in Garou and kin alike. The men are bulky, compact brutes who look like engines of destruction. The women are long-limbed, lithe and delicate seeming. The ladies tend to have more diverse training than the gentlemen do, leading them to embody this trope.
- Tracking Device: Has she handed you anything, ever? Yeah, it's probably got a tracking device on it.
A teenage Garou from the Shadow Lord tribe.
- Breath Weapon: As part of her band's act, Salome is a stunt firebreather.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She might be an angry, loud, violent, teenage alcoholic, but she's still on the side of good.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Her favorite animal."She liked monkeys because they were ten pounds of fuck-you-up in a two pound bag."
- In the Blood: Exceptional amounts of Rage and being born under the half moon run in Salome's family.
- Teen Pregnancy: Salome got pregnant at thirteen and is now a distant mother (by necessity) to her little girl, Andy.
Talisa Sheriff Shaw
A teenage Garou from the Black Furies tribe. The current beta of the Archangels and the youngest out of the lot.
- Berserk Button: Insulting Jeanette in her presence.
A Metis Garou from the Black Spiral Dancer tribe.
- A Love to Dismember: Deitricha's 'boyfriend' Charlie is a severed head. Possibly not even from someone named Charlie.
A Garou from the Black Spiral Dancer tribe. The head Spiral in Los Angeles and not a very nice person.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: A rare variant, Tre raped and impregnated another Spiral to guarantee that her mind would be completely focused on giving him an accurate prophecy. The Ultimatum part was that if she failed to do so he would force her to give birth to it, even if he had to rip off her arms and jaw to ensure it.
A Mage who follows the Nephandi tradition.
- BrotherSister Incest: With her brother Will.
A Mage who follows the Sons of Ether tradition.
- Badass Normal: Damon isn't entirely sure he believes this whole 'magic' thing. Instead he views himself and his powers as this.
- Cool Car: A 1972 Ford Torino, which also happens to be spiritually awakened. He calls her Ella.
A Mage who follows the Euthanotos tradition.
- Brother-Sister Team: Forming a rather sinister duo with her far more murderous brother, Miguel.
- The Family That Slays Together: She does help Miguel kill people.
Lady Felica Wick
A Mage who follows the Orphan tradition.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Unwillingly. She was raised to be respectful and careful of all artifacts and knows proper preservation techniques, which makes it all the more upsetting that she can't help but rampage through ancient temples.
- Berserk Button: Being compared to Lara Croft.
- Break the Cutie: Though 'cutie' is debatable, getting her life and personality hijacked by a video game character's constantly changing backstory has left Felicia bitter and vengeful against the people who created Lara Croft.
- Doppelgänger: If she dresses the part, she's a dead ringer for Lara Croft.
- Expy: Lara Croft. Notable in the fact that this is acknowledged in-story.
- It's Okay If It's You: Though she identifies as straight, she has an 'understanding' with her female cabalmate Bekkah.
- Love Makes You Evil: For unknown reasons, Felicia was cursed to literally make this happen-any man that she has any sort of romantic relationship with inevitably tries to kill her.
- Parental Abandonment: At fifteen, Felicia lost both parents in an airplane crash. In her twenties she found out that this was likely because a lazy writer took the easy way out while searching for a source of drama. The quest to find him and get some answers has been a driving goal ever since.
A Mage who follows the Virtual Adept tradition.
- Broken Bird: After spending his whole life in the service of the Traditions, killing, interrogating enemies, and leading troops, Liam was gravely injured in the Umbra and left for dead by his friends. This has caused... issues.
- Child Soldier: Raised in an academy with little in the way of friends or family, Liam was brought up to fight the Ascension War.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Though he has a rough exterior, doesn't really abide people all that well, and is prone to what others might class as 'violent overreactions', Liam's heart is in the right place. Underneath all the issues brought up by the Ascension War he's a really sweet, sort of maladjusted kid.
A Mage who follows the Virtual Adept tradition.
- Shout-Out: His handle, NegativeZero, is taken from Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, where it's the title of a old movie.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Cybil, although it's Played for Laughs. His idea of stealthfully tailing her includes humming his theme music.
A Mage who follows the Verbena tradition.
- Blind Seer: Subverted. Rebekkah is blind and does make a living as a soothsayer, but she's not actually prescient. She's a cold-reader.
- The Hecate Sisters: As a headstrong, blunt, youthful girl, Rebekkah embodies the Maiden. In her original Cabal, her Dreamspeaker Cabalmate Alejandra was the Mother and Felicia was the Crone.
- Magical Society: The Gardeners are positive that she's going to settle down and join them any day now.
- Prophet Eyes: Due to her curse, Rebekkah's eyes are fixed forward and are a pale blue color.
A 163-year-old Vampire from the Ventrue clan.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Technically, Beau is the younger of the two LeClare boys. For all of his supernatural potency and might, Roy still treats him like a kid brother.
- Vampires Are Rich: Averted. Beauregard sleeps in the trunk of his brother's car and when they're feeling fancy, the boys rent a hotel room with really secure blinds.
The former prince of LA until his death.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: His player permanently left the site, so he was killed off.
Jack Raven (aka Michael Ravenholm)
A Hunter who follows the Avenger creed.
- Ascended Extra: Originally Jack was an NPC for his player's offline games, then was brought in as a PC on the other Old World of Darkness board, but didn't see any use and was forgotten about when Behind The Veil was founded. Then he came back as an NPC again to wrap up an Aborted Arc (due to all the players involved leaving the site shortly after joining), remained an NPC when Michael was made a PC, before finally Leyna kissed him on the balcony, bringing him back to PC status.
- Berserk Button: Do not threaten anyone he cares about.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Michael. The two met to kill a target, and stuck together ever since.
- Hitman with a Heart: He started to regret the impact some of his hits had on the victim's families and friends, and began to take contracts on people he viewed were worse than him.
- Odd Friendship: Michael, again. A hitman and a firefighter.
- Only Friend: Michael, since Leyna's something more.
- Self-Made Orphan: His mother died due to complications resulting from injuries his father had given her. He took the news poorly and jumped into this trope.
A Hunter who follows the Visionary creed.
- Dream-Crushing Handicap: Being confined to a wheelchair and being mute limits just how much Jennifer can contribute to the hunt, a fact with bothers her more than she'd care to admit.
- Elective Mute: Since the death of her parents Jennifer has stopped talking completely, communicating entirely through sign language, written notes and text-to-speech programs. Recently she's started talking again (but only a little), but only to her step-mother (although she made an exception for Ben's adopted children when the former was in danger).
A Hunter who follows the Judge creed.
- Odd Friendship: With Jack. The two are radically different people, with different motivations for the hunt, but are still best friends.
- Samaritan Syndrome: He's incapable of not offering his help to someone in need.
Will Kilmartin (aka Strangelove)
A Hunter who follows the Hermit creed.
- BrotherSister Incest: With his sister Anne. Made even worse by Will going along with it because he can't say no to his sister.
- Split Personality: There's Will and there's Strangelove, the latter of which wears a mask. Considering that his father and his sister are both Mages with a taste for Cold-Blooded Torture, it's no wonder this has happened.
- Straight Gay: Although it's difficult to nail it down due to Strangelove's insanity, Will is closest to this.
A human and the curator/owner of "Gryphon's Cabinet of Curiosities."
- Eccentric Mentor: Jack is old, crazy, and occasionally powerful. But mostly old and crazy.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Jack frequently recounts the loss of his wife and daughter.
- Weirdness Coupon: Whether it's age or just charisma, Jack gets away with things he shouldn't, like yelling at Garou and killing other people's furniture with swords.