Fanfic: Kyon: Big Damn Hero
"Count the tropes! Save, collect, trade for swell prizes!"Kyon: Big Damn Hero is the result of creating a crossover between Haruhi Suzumiya and TV Tropes. It starts with an In Medias Res prologue and moving swiftly on to an Anachronic Arc before finally settling into as chronological an order as possible when a Stable Time Loop shows up every few chapters.First featured on the Haruhi fanfic recommendations page.As for the plot, it started with Haruhi being told about her powers in order to save Nagato. Then came time travel, breaking up crime rings, a harem plot, Higurashi characters and a subplot involving a Slider and the Sky Canopy Dominion.Is it worth mentioning that the series frequently mentions much of the cast being fans of the 'Trope-tan anime'?Consists of 13 arcs so far:
- Obligatory Anachronic Order Explanation (2 chapters)
- Straightforward Flashback and Exposition (3 chapters)
- Heroic Antics Begin (5 chapters)
- Filler (4 chapters)
- Fanservice (4 chapters)
- Gearing Up (5 chapters)
- Initial Conflict (5 chapters)
- Thwarted Lull (5 chapters)
- Calm Before The Storm (5 chapters)
- Storm Begins (5 chapters)
- Open Battle (7 chapters)
- Laying Low (6 chapters)
- Resolution (6 chapters)
- Alliances and Enemies (1 chapter and counting)
This fic contains examples of the following tropes, in addition to those already present in the source material:
open/close all folders
- Acceptable Breaks from Reality: Subverted. Kyon raised his PDA to take a picture of some police officers while invisible in Chapter 34. To his surprise, it made an audible click, because all cellphones and cameras are required to make a sound in Japan, ostensibly to make things harder for voyeurs. It nearly blew his cover.
- Played straight with the NPA, who act more like the United States FBI than the real NPA because it makes a better story.
- Acoustic License: Averted in the Freefall Romance scene from Chapter 39. As it happens to skydivers and parachutists, it's normally impossible to speak to another person in such conditions. Yuki bypassed this by touching his skinsuit and transmitting her voice through bone conduction.
- Action Prologue: The prologue.
- Actor Allusion: When discussing Lucky Star Taniguchi mentions that Konata's voice creeps him out for some reason—most likely because it's so similar to Haruhi's.
- Similarly, in "Epileptic Plot Tree", Haruhi bites the head off a chocolate cornet (whichever end that might be).
- Adaptation Decay: In-universe example. A Broken Base of Trope-tan formed due to the second season of the anime adaptation because it diverged from the manga a lot, according to Haruhi in Chapter 32.
- A Day in the Limelight: Magical Radiant Nonoko and Shamisen saves the Day in Chapter 47.
- Adults Are Useless: Kyon's parents.
- Adult Fear: Chapters 47-48 were a Wham Episode for Kyon's parents:
- Akane was taking care of a feverish Nonoko who was hit by a cold and left her alone in her room for a few minutes. When she came back, Nonoko was nowhere to be found. When phone called later, she was told that the girl was in fact kidnapped; however she was already rescued by her brother. This also applies to her husband Yuuto who was left in an Heroic BSOD by the news of his daughter missing until he was informed Nonoko was safe.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Kyon tousles his little sister's hair pretty much whenever he sees her.
- After-School Cleaning Duty
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Kyon fears that his new PDA could become Skynet after Yuki said that it was capable of learning and that it was formed from remnants of Asakura Ryouko's data. However, this doesn't stop him from naming the device exactly that.
- The All Solving Hammer: Tsuruya Kenshiro's approach to...pretty much any problem, really, is "buy the institution involved".
- Alien Invasion: In Michikyuu Kanae's backstory, it's the reason she started sliding through universes.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Kanae and several other nameless girls at the school while Kyon happens to be in 'delinquent mode'.
- Mikuru, on the other hand, prefers 'domestic mode'.
- All Part of the Show: See Bavarian Fire Drill below.
- All Just a Dream: Inverted in Chapter 30 with Kanae, who doesn't realize she was awake until after she kisses Kyon.
- Kyon and Sasaki experience a similar inversion in Chapter 60, during their kiss.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Invoked by Keiichi and Rika and raised to an art form. From Chapter 61:Matsuri: O-oh, um, Kyon-nii— For, um, for extra purification—
Rika: Matsu-chan, nothing about Watanagashi involves kissing. *blows a kiss to Keiichi* Chu~
Matsuri: *blushing* I— I wasn't— I mean— Mo~om!
Keiichi: A direct hit!
Shutaro: No! My own father!
Keiichi: Arg… brain… turning to mush! Save yourselves!
- Amusing Injuries: Among other things, Achakura has been drowned (by Yuki) and hit across the room (by Yuki) within two chapters. She is nothing more than data, so it's somewhat justified.
- Anachronic Order: The Anachronic Order Explanation arc.
- Ancestral Weapon: The hilt of Kyon's laserblade was used by one of his ancestors (Usui Sadamitsu/Taira no Tadamichi to be precise).
- ...And That Little Girl Was Me: Shinobu, in Chapter 56.
- And the Adventure Continues: Due to the story ending abrubtly after many of the main plot threads are resolved the ending has shades of this.
- Answer Cut: The In Medias Res Prologue includes, among other things, Kyon being attacked by Asakura Ryouko, having possession of a lot of supernatural tools his canon counterpart doesn't have and Haruhi not batting much of an eye to Kyon's admission Asakura is an humanoid interface like Yuki. At some point after that Kyon asks himself "It started off such a nice day, too. How had it come to this, anyway...?". Cue scene change to the first non-prologue scene. The storyline after this point then continues... 40+ chapters later.
- A Rare Sentence: In Chapter 57.Ichiro raised a hand to his face and sighed. "My apologies for their behavior," he said, bowing his head. "Good help is hard to keep from being thrown away in a pointless attack on your ... fiance." What a strange thing to say!
- Arranged Marriage: Tsuruya and Kyon are set up on a omiainote in Chapter 28. The marriage part of the trope is justified by the parents as beneficial because both families used to be extremely powerful a millennium ago. Disregarding that, also because both of them like the effect and skills the other parents' child has.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Kyon mentions casually to Sasaki that he has to meet several past instances of people, fight 12 thugs at once, arrange to deliver an alien artifact and study for a math test. It scares the crap out of adult Mikuru, but Sasaki doesn't take it seriously.
- Ascended Extra: A few classmates of Haruhi and Kyon, background characters from the anime with barely a surname and a line of characterization to their credit in the supplemental materials at the time, are given bigger roles here. Notable examples are Yanagimotonote and Yamanenote .
- Augmented Reality: It's how the SOS Brigade can perceive and interact with the chibified Asakura.
- As part of her preparations, Mikuru was given an Augmented Reality system. It doesn't seem to interact very well when watching some movies.
- This trope is taken to its logical conclusion in Chapter 61, where Achakura deploys a tactical AR environment for Kyon, providing him with real-time information about his enemies, targeting warning receiver, battleground condition updates, etc. The overlaying pseudo-holographic display is so effective that he can fight regardless of light condition and visual impediments like concealment (think of X-Ray Vision), smoke, blinding flashes, etc.
- Author Catchphrase: That suited them just fine.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Kyon and Yuki in Chapter 44. The horde of Sumiyoshi-rengo they dismantled were less than pleased at this arrangement.
- Badass Family: Haruhi is firmly convinced that Kyon's family is one. Readers have yet to see proof of the opposite. To wit: his father is a Initial D-class Badass Driver and is apparently a descendant of the Taira clannote ; his mother is intimidating enough that the entire Higurashi cast, possibly Mori and Haruhi herself, are very cautious of crossing her; and his little sister (when properly outfitted) can take apart the Combine's synths with a giggle. Heck, even their cat gets a badass moment or two.
- Balanced Harem: Invoked. The girls in the SOS-dan take great care to share equal time with Kyon, usually at Haruhi's or Tsuruya's urging.
- Batman Gambit:
- Kyon asks Koizumi to mail Haruhi when they are going to meet the Student Council President, so he may have just enough time to talk with Kimidori Emiri about the IDSE's goals and reasons, but not to do anything before Haruhi shows up. Works better than expected.
- Tsuruya pulled off a nifty one in Chapter 29. After the surprise of her engagement with Kyon, Tsuruya took in her hands how to deliver the news to Haruhi, which she did as soon as possible in a school day while reassuring Haruhi that she was in no way attempting to separate her and Kyon. That left Haruhi to mull over things during class (where she sits behind Kyon) and as soon as the classes were over, she dragged him to.. er.. allay her concerns on the matter. Predicting this, Tsuruya looked for them in any secluded location around school she could think of with the objective of assuring Kyon that everything was alright and, if she timed things right, giving him a "good-natured heart attack".
- Tsuruya arranged a similar one in Chapter 62. Predicting how hard would be for Sasaki to deal with a paradigm shift such as the confirmation of the supernatural, Tsuruya made sure of keeping a "supply of Kyon-kun" at hand. All said and done, it worked remarkably well.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: After Kyon is shot and in retaliation Haruhi uses her Mind over Matter powers, Haruhi simply acts as she were the Director of a movie to invoke All Part of the Show. Bystanders start applauding.
- Beach Episode: It starts in Chapter 30, and ends in the next chapter.
- Beam Spam: Gungnir can fire lasers at up to 65,535 targets at once.
- The Beard: After rumor goes in Kitago about Kyon being engaged, most "unclaimed" girls of the SOS Brigade get one to prevent unwanted romantic attention: Haruhi and Kanae have each other, and Mikuru has Shutaro (a disguised Kyon).
- Interestingly, it's implied that this trope was very much in effect until that point without anyone meaning to. The ambiguity of the relationship between Kyon and Haruhi, Yuki and Mikuru was apparently enough determent to keep their (many) suitors at bay.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Believe it or not, Kanae managed to reduce Haruhi to a blushing fit once with a Romance-Inducing Smudge.
- Bedmate Reveal: Happens to Kyon when he wakes up one day just to find Kanae sleeping at his side. Turns out that she teleported herself to his bed while sleeping after she learned to slide within the same world.
- Happens to Kyon again in Chapter 40. With a twist. This time, Kanae teleported herself to his bed on purpose, but after she woke up she discovered that Yuki had the same idea.
- Happens once again in Chapter 47, only this time with Haruhi and Tsuruya, thanks to Yuki and Kanae teleporting them there.
- At this point it's pretty safe to assume they will invoke this trope every time they can get away with it. They even were Genre Savvy enough to get a special program in place that teleports the girls (except for Achakura; she is invisible after all) out of Kyon's bedroom the instant someone tries to open the door, in clear defiance of a certain problematic trope.
- Berserk Button:
- Do not try and harm any of Kyon's friends, let alone push Tsuruya out of a window. He will suspend you by the ankle with one hand and invoke Dissonant Serenity.
- In a similar vein, do not shoot Kyon. Haruhi will gladly try to kill you.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: Given the ridiculous number of Lampshades hung over the course of every chapter, it's safe to say this is in effect.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Altair + Vega + Hakurouken = Gungnir.
- Big Brother Instinct:
- Threaten Kanae like Ryuguu did, and Kyon will come after you with a vengeance. In fact, he'd fix up most problems in the Brigade, mostly with force because of circumstances.
- Don't even insinuate that you will harm any of his friends in front of Kyon. He will practically teleport in front of you.
- Big Damn Heroes: Right there in the title. And in the prologue. Also happened at some other point, we finally get to see over twenty chapters after we first learned about it.
- Big "NO!"/Little "No": Both played for laughs when Mikuru wants to meet Kyon (who was busy giving Haruhi a catatonia-inducing kiss) because he could help Koizumi with some "esper business", as he put it. As both Yuki and Koizumi are connected to Haruhi and feel her emotional state, both voice their negative accordingly:"Oh, my," Mikuru said, frowning as she glanced around. "Um ... should I call Kyon-kun about it?"
"No!" Koizumi barked, almost shouting
At the same time Yuki raised her gaze from her book and said, much more calmly, "No."
- Birthday Episode: The first quarter of Chapter 61 is devoted to the Surprise Party that the girls prepared for Kyon.
- Bi the Way: Any doubts about Haruhi and Tsuruya are removed in chapter 54.
- Blah Blah Blah: In Chapter 1.Haruhi: Blah blah blah, Skip the speeches - if I don't know the complete back story, it's all meaningless to me.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Chapter 61:"We can tickle it out of her," Mion suggested, eyeing the shrine maiden sternly.
"Hau..." Rika whimpered, backing cautiously away.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: After Tsuruya comments to Haruhi that she learned calligraphy because it's an important thing to know in the business:Haruhi: What else did you learn? Back to the beginning... I know you mentioned that you had some martial arts training, too?
Tsuruya: All proper things! Tea ceremony, calligraphy, social behaviors, ninkyo dantai formality, martial arts, interrogations ... that kinds of stuff.
- Brick Joke:
- Kyon's analogy in the prologue for being hit by Ryouko is about being hit by a speeding minivan. Guess what happened in the Initial Conflict arc.
- Also used in conjunction with the Stealth Pun in Heroic Antics Begin Arc, Chapter 4, which is titled: Chapter Eleven: Yes, It Goes There / Yeah, It Went There (depending on whether you're looking at the Table of Contents or the chapter itself). If you recall, the title for Chapter 3 is called: Chapter Three: It Goes To Eleven.
- In Chapter 9, Kyon's father tells him, "There's no way you could come home from school one day and announce that you had, say, rescued an heiress from rampant hoodlums and secured a position at her father's company. So, (your mother's) point of view is that there's no future in fighting." Naturally, this is exactly what ends up happening.
- After 37 chapters going unmentioned, Yuki offhandedly reveals that she always knew of the small "private library" that Kyon keeps in his cell phone (see "Porn Stash" below) and notifies him that she will keep it updated. Kyon apparently doesn't check it too often because her words seemed to miss the target. Tsuruya, on the other hand, had to bite back a smirk.
- In Chapter 3, Haruhi uses her recently discovered powers to make her hair grow five times faster than normal. Finally, in Chapter 62 and a little more than two months later In-Universe, she managed to don a ponytail in class. Kyon predictably approved the new hairstyle.
- Yamane's seat in class remains unoccupied until a New Transfer Student arrives in Chapter 62.
- In Chapter 11 and thanks to ambivalent semantics, Mori mistakenly thought Kyon was having unprotected sex with Tsuruya and Yuki and made an adamant point to provide him with a box full of (as they put it) "protection". Much later in Chapter 63 and somewhat concerned after learning just how many girls Kyon's romantically involved with, Mori asked him how much "protective gear" he had left. Cue blushing, sputtering mortification.
- Chapter 63 marks the return of two additional bricks: Kyon mentioning the Trope-tan outfit he briefly wore in Chapter 36 (only to immediately regret it) and Tsuruya remembering her promise from Chapter 14 to Haruhi about not bathing with Kyon without her (only for Yuki to suggest an alternative).
- Bro Fist: Between Keiichi and Satoshi in Chapter 17.
- Broken Masquerade: Kyon pulls this on Haruhi so she can save Yuki. Also, that chapter's Fictional Document refers to how to prepare for this trope as well.
- Buffy Speak: To avoid mentioning exactly what it was that he and Yuki swiped from Yamane Jun's room (i.e. Asakura's gym shorts), Kyon stops himself halfway through the word and calls it "the corrupted data thingy."
- Busman's Holiday: The SOS Brigade visits Hinamizawa for Watanagashi and some well-earned R&R. No prize for guessing when Wataru decided to show up.
- Bystander Syndrome: Pretty much any public act of violence seems to be accompanied by this.
- When Kanae is attacked by Ryuguu in a crowded school hallway, nobody tries to help until Kyon stumbles across them. He calls the other students on this.
- When Tsuruya and Kasai are attacked by Sumiyoshi-rengo, Tsuruya's narration notes that bystanders quickly streamed away, pretending nothing was happening.
- When Sasaki is kidnapped in Chapter 52, her cries for help go ignored by onlookers.
- Calling Your Attacks: Master Spa~ark!
- Campbell Country: Hinamizawa.
- Captivity Harmonica: One of the inmates has one when Kyon visits Masao in jail. They use it to drown out their conversation in case of eavesdroppers.
- Cassandra Truth: Kyon's sister frequently has tried to tell her parents and friends that her brother is a hero but nobody believes her. In part this is also because Kyon tells her enough to know but not enough for her to be believed if she tells someone else.
- Sasaki doesn't believe in aliens, time travelers, espers, or sliders and recently convinced herself that they're code words used by Yakuza.
- Casual Danger Dialog: Kyon, as a Deadpan Snarker, is prone to type 4. Of course, since he often already knows the outcome of the fight, he might not need to be worried.
- Catch Phrase Koizumi gets: "Somehow, that suited him just fine."
- Celebrity Paradox: In addition to this wiki apparently existing in the fic's universe, Taniguchi mentions Lucky Star in Chapter 33.
- Chained Heat: Haruhi and Sasaki were handcuffed together by their kidnappers at the end of Chapter 54.
- Chekhov's Gun:
- Yuki checks out Kyon's wristwatch. A few chapters later, it turns out she installed a program to create a impenetrable skinsuit in case Kyon gets attacked.
- During Haruhi's second time in Closed Space with Kyon, she made several unmentioned changes to reality, including a limit to her powers. A notable one showing up later is removing Koizumi's limitations so that he can use his ESPer powers outside of closed space.
- What about Chekhov's Coat?
- Chekhov's Gunman: Shamisen, seriously. To be precise, the "paragenetic silicon-based data lifeforms", who are hosted in Shamisen's body since the events of the short story Wandering Shadow, helped Kuyou out of a difficult situation in Chapter 47.
- Chunky Salsa Rule: The enemy slider from Chapter 30 may not understand fighting very well, but he knows that threatening to reduce Kyon into a chunky salsa is the same as a death threat.
- Cliff Hanger: Frequently; Chapters 47, 53, 54
- Close-Call Haircut: Immediately after Radiant Magical Nonoko protests having to return Kyon's gear to him, citing that she's "not afraid of anything anymore", a flechette nearly beheads her, only taking a few strands of hair instead.
- Combat and Support: After he got his tools, Kyon does the heavy-lifting and Achakura handles the tech. Later, Kuyou acquires her chibi-mode and takes a support role for him too, among other things, granting the team with access to her Phantom Zone where the fighting can take place without the risk of collateral damage.
- Combat by Champion: Defied after the battle against the 24 Yakuza. Fujiya Masao, their boss who proposed himself as his own champion was convinced he doesn't have to keep fighting (and losing); instead, he only had to promise never work again with pictures of changing high school female students.
- Comically Missing the Point:
- In Chapter 23 when returning from training Kyon was received with a pillow thrown to his face, making him fall. This conversation followed:Kyon: Haruhi? Was that you?
Haruhi: Wah! Seriously? You can tell it's me because of how the pillow hit you?
Kyon: I can tell it's you because you hit me with a pillow at all.
- In Chapter 61, Kyon comments that he agrees with the sentiment that they should take things slowly in their very complex romantic relationship, to "be a bit more restrained, just now". Kuyou remarks on the word "restrained" and notices that, with Sasaki and herself holding each of his arms, he can't easily fend off if either of them tries to kiss him. Cue three-way make-out session.
- In Chapter 23 when returning from training Kyon was received with a pillow thrown to his face, making him fall. This conversation followed:
- Commonality Connection:
- Kyon: Big Damn Hero was first published during the three-years long Schedule Slip after the Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya and, while retconning it a little, it mostly works around what the reader knew until that point and picks up the plot after the first chapter of the ninth novel. After the Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya came up, the story became an Alternate Universe Fic proper.
- The fic also serves as a Distant Epilogue of sorts for Higurashi: When They Cry, retaking the events almost thirty years after the Golden Ending.
- Continuity Cameo: It seems that Kyon and Kanae made a brief but intriguing appearance in the seventh chapter of Later, another one of Durandall's fanfics, in front of the adult version of Kyon, who reacts in a savvy and very sensible way.adult!Kyon: I suppose it's none of my business, whatever it was. Perhaps there's something strange and amazing there ... but as I've learned, there's no reason - really - to search for it. If I have to be involved, I'm confident that whatever is to happen will find me. And, really ... it doesn't bother me too much if it doesn't.
- Continuity Nod:
- Kyon receives a wristwatch from adult!Mikuru in Chapter 8, a model similar to the radio-controlled timepiece that young!Mikuru wears in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.
- In Chapter 21, Haruhi congratulates Mikuru on being the first to accomplish her Tanabata wishes.
- Also, Koizumi explains his Esper powers over a cup of coffee with Haruhi, just like how he explained it to Kyon.
- At Tsuruya's house in Chapter 36, Koizumi reminded Kyon of the events of the Drama CD, where Haruhi wrote a literal Ear Worm and Hare Hare Yukai. Then they perform Hare Hare Yukai for everybody.
- The Drama CD is also the source of Yuki's seldom-used yet inhibition-eroding when used by Kyon pet name, "Yuki-rin".
- In the Heroes Gone Fishing scene in Chapter 18, Keiichi warned Kyon to not go near a abandoned quarry. That's a reference to "Nekogoroshi-hen" (Cat Killing Chapter), a single episode scenario of the anime based on the homonymous Light Novel.
- Also in Chapter 18, Rika told Haruhi about the "magatama incident" from Higurashi Daybreak, or more precisely the episode of the same name from Rei based on it.
- It has been mentioned a few times that Kyon resembles his grandfather a lot, which could be a small nod to "Mystérique Sign Returns". This manga-only chapter features a case similar to the Cave Cricket incident, but in this case the data entity took the form of a man dressed in an Imperial Japanese Army uniform with a katana, who Kyon first mistook for an older version of himself. Later he discovered that the apparition was in fact based on her grandfather in his younger days.
- Most times Kyon has to time travel he notes how he is getting more used to it.
- In Chapter 50, Koizumi reveals that the fake version of Kyon who visited his room in Snow Mountain Syndrome was behaving aggressively in 'that way'.
- It's implied that Yuki made her hair grow long via data manipulation to better resemble this character for the Flash Mob in Chapter 53, which could be a reference to certain scene◊ from the PS2 game Suzumiya Haruhi no Tomadoi.
- In Chapter 59, Kyon's cousins commented that they play Old Man/Geezer (ジジ抜き, jijinuki) instead of Old Maid (ババ抜き, babanuki). This is a reference to an important conversation with The Big Bad by the end of Matsuribayashi-hen, where both card games were used as part of an analogy.
- Contrived Coincidence: The IDSE created tools for theoretical interactions with Alternate Universes, with a dimensional anchor being among those items. The last one created dates from millions of years. The item found in Tsuruya's backyard during the seventh book? Guess what it is.
- Conversational Troping: In Kyon and Sasaki's backstory it was the usual topic of conversation: Kyon presented a trope and Sasaki deconstructed it.
- Cooldown Hug: This trope is used fairly often, like when Haruhi hugs Tsuruya when she blames herself for Kyon being shot, Yuki receiving one from Kyon when she is scared after being too close to a black hole, or Kyon being hugged after being dangerously close to killing, or when he visibly stressed from the fight against the Combine at Kitago (after his sister joined the battle).
- Cool Sword: Kyon's Laserblade, whose hilt was used by one of his ancestors and blade was made of the remains of a robot from another world.
- Cover Innocent Eyes and Ears: In Chapter 60, Mikuru covers Kanae's eyes when Kyon and Sasaki kiss for the first time. She quickly realizes it was kind of pointless as Kanae had already kissed Kyon on her own.
- Covert Pervert:
- It seems neither Kyon nor Mikuru missed the potential implications of him getting carte blanche from her superiors:"Okay. Asahina-san, I know I requested your superiors back me up on explaining who you are to Haruhi, but I'm still not clear on why they suddenly decided that it was okay for you to do ... whatever I said," Kyon said, shifting his shoulders. "Was there anything else in that message?"
"Um, no," she answered, her face turning pink, her eyes looking away.
- Yuki and Hanyuu. They spent their time in Hinamizawa together "enjoying the view" of Kyon in bath.
- When Kyon and five girls from the SOS Brigade disappeared from Mion's house for some training in Yuki's Pocket Dimension in Chapter 59, Hanyuu immediately arrived to the conclusion that they went somewhere to do "naughty things". Apparently, she knows for a fact that Rika and the others did the same thing all the time when they were that age.
- As surprised as she was at Haruhi's Innocent Innuendo in Chapter 63, Sasaki was coming to terms with the idea of sleeping with Kyon remarkably quickly before Haruhi corrected herself.
- It seems neither Kyon nor Mikuru missed the potential implications of him getting carte blanche from her superiors:
- Cower Power: After Haruhi's reaction to Tsuruya's report on what she and Kyon did to disband a illegal photographic ring (which included sleeping and bathing together — It Makes Sense in Context), Mikuru automatically hides behind Tsuruya. Kanae, noting that Tsuruya isn't the safest cover in this circumstance, decides not to follow this trope and only hide behind the table.
- Crackfic: It crosses over with tropes. It should also be noted that nobody knows how to cross a story with a concept.
- Creator Cameo: In Chapter 50, during the conversation where Haruhi and Kyon discussed how to name his Laser Blade, she suggested the name of the "weapon from the battle of Troy, and featured in the 'Song Of Roland'". Kyon rejected it because "somehow, that particular name felt overused".
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- Curse Cut Short:
- Kyon's first meeting with Ryuguu in Chapter 6. Kyon smashed his nose against the equipment shed, making him curse. Before Ryuguu could finish the curse, Kyon smashed his nose in again.
- On second thoughts, search for any mention of "fu-". That's a Curse Cut Short. For example, Chapter 7, when Kyon's sternly chastising Watanabe.
- Cuteness Overload:
- Mikuru when Kyon first calls her by her first name. As a result, she kisses Kyon with utmost desperation while giving the "it's forbidden" speech.
- Also happens to Haruhi when Kanae first calls her Suzumiya-sempai.Mikuru: Eh? Suzumiya-san? Are you alright? You look dazed!
Haruhi (in a faint voice): S...something amazing happened.
- And to Yuki, of all people, when Kyon calls her Yuki-rin.
- A notable instance that doubles as a minor plot point takes place in Chapter 63. Kuyou, donning an unbelievably adorable variant of her chibi-mode, manages to completely bypass Sasaki's disbelief-activated Power Nullifier by virtue of being just too cute for Sasaki to stop to think if it makes sense or not. Once realization hit and incapable of doubting her own eyes, Sasaki had no further troubles to accept Yuki's explanations about the Augmented Reality system that the SOS Brigade uses, from then and on preventing her power from interfering with it.
- And then she notices Achakura...Ah! Cute!
- And then she notices Achakura...
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: After Kyon fired a rail-accelerated needle to One-Hit Kill a Strider in Chapter 61, the rest of them recalibrated their Deflector Shields to prevent this from happening again. Ultimately a subversion, because this allowed Kyon to run to the closest one and chop it into pieces with Hakurouken.
- Dash Attack: In an interesting combined application of his Laser Blade, Deflector Shields and gravity manipulators, Kyon in Chapter 61 set "the field below him to frictionless", shot himself towards the nearest enemy and cut it in half with Hakurouken as he dashed beneath it. A highly difficult technique and Kyon himself guessed that merely training his reflexes to deal with the lack of resistance transferred from the sword to the wielder must have took Yuki a lot of work.
- Daydream Surprise: In Chapter 31, Kanae daydreams herself in a Beach Kiss scene with Kyon, apparently a Recurring Dream of hers that usually doubles as a Shirtless Scene, which turns to be a subversion of the That Was Not A Dream type.
- Dead Man Switch: Sasaki invokes this trope in Chapter 37. It goes like this: if she doesn't send two text messages at certain times of the day, the intended recipient will know that something bad happened to her.
- Defiled Forever: Parodied in Chapter 60, just after Kyon kisses Sasaki:Haruhi snorted. "Yeah, well, now you've ruined her for marriage," she warned.
"Ah, n-no, I—" Sasaki began, before Haruhi covered her mouth.
"Utterly ruined!" Tsuruya agreed. "You'd better promise to take care of her!"
"But— But—" Kyon started to protest.
- Deflector Shields:
- Kyon's coat has them, but they're very complicated to operate and very energy-consuming under heavy fire or when he uses them for more telekinesis-like applications. Their practicability was greatly improved after Achakura took charge of most of their micromanagement.
- In a pinch, Haruhi can use her powers to improvise a temporal force shield sturdy enough to resist direct fire from a Strider's wrap cannon.
- Slider!Kuyou used some sort of green Pure Energy construct to protect Wataru from enemy fire and to slow down his fall à la Green Lantern.
- Denied Lunch As Punishment: To Kyon when he's grounded.
- Denying The Antecedent: Kyon's sister resorted to this to get herself invited to the beach trip in Chapter 29. Kyon immediately noticed it, but it turns out that she goes anyway.Kyon: So if I tell you, that means you can't go. Understand?
Kyon's sister: Okay! So, don't tell me! That means I can go!
Kyon: That's not what—
- Destination Defenestration: Yamane does this to Tsuruya when he's cornered by her, Kyon, Yuki and Yanagimoto in the photography club room. Kyon managed to pick her hand before falling though, and between him and Yuki they picked up Tsuruya back in the clubroom.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Taniguchi in Chapter 56. It has to be seen to be believed.
- Disappeared Dad: Sasaki's father. Her mother's bitterness at the abandonment strongly implies that this is not a case of Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You.
- Discard and Draw: After her disconnection from the IDSE, Yuki lost access to the Entity's assistance and resources, which severely limited her effectiveness to detect and deal with the threats that could affect her protection targetsnote . To compensate this, Yuki now makes a point to analyze and reverse-engineer any new supernatural power available for her study in order to enhance her abilities' library. So far Yuki has learned teleportation from Kanae, the ability to create a Pocket Dimension from Haruhi, a specific kind of invisibility from Kuyou and she also adapted Mikuru's Augmented Reality technology for the SOS Brigade's usage.
- Discussed Trope: Quite frequently. Some notables examples are:
- In Chapter 4, Haruhi complained about Death of the Hypotenuse. It gets bonus points because her dislike of mediocre romantic resolutions is a plot point.Haruhi: I don't like that answer. It's just like an action movie where the hero dies. Or where the hero likes two girls, so one isn't quite as pure-hearted or kind as the other, and is killed to make it so the hero never has to choose.
- Surprisingly enough, Kyon and Haruhi discussed Tsundere in Chapter 5 with interesting results:Kyon: "I did say that, but I don't know what 'tsundere' means."
Haruhi: "Stereotypical anime relationship? Girl likes boy, boy likes girl? Girl hits boy, boy mouths off to girl? You could change the order of operation, but it all works out the same."
Kyon: ""Oh ... well, that's not a real relationship, just a mechanic to let the viewers know that a relationship exists while artificially keeping it from developing, since it's a minor point at best in the role of the show. (...)"
- Kyon once discussed Those Two Guys with Taniguchi and Kunikida after school in Chapter 13. To wit: each of them claims that he's the real main character and that the other two are Those Two Guys.
- Mikuru, Koizumi and Haruhi discuss Oblivious to Love in front of Kyon in Chapter 24. He doesn't get the hint.
- In Chapter 63, part of the SOS Brigade talked about counter-measures against teleportation. Kyon immediately suggested to set the exit point of an enemy portal inside the sun.
- In Chapter 4, Haruhi complained about Death of the Hypotenuse. It gets bonus points because her dislike of mediocre romantic resolutions is a plot point.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Nagato and Hanyuu stopped fighting because Kyon got out of the bath.
- Distressed Damsel: Sasaki has been kidnapped four times and Haruhi once (due to a played with instance of Bruce Wayne Held Hostage due to Sasaki's disbelief based Power Nullifier abilities).
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: In Chapter 35's Fictional Document, it warns you to be careful of one's new powers.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?:
- This excerpt from Chapter 54:"Um ... I'm sorry about this...." [Kyon] paused, considering, then winced and asked, "Did it ... hurt?"
"Not as much as the first time," [Haruhi] groaned, lowering her hands before blinking and suddenly looking to one side. "Um— It's fine, really...."
- Sometimes Yuki's narration is kind of eyebrow-raising. From Chapter 56:It would be nice to join in on that, but Yuki was enjoying herself at the present, and could enjoy some further time with Kyon once he got back home and went to bed.
- Or earlier, in Chapter 43:It was strangely intimate, with Kuyou submitting entirely to Yuki's manipulations, and Yuki — for her part — proceeding as cautiously as possible, not wanting in any way to damage the other entity.
- This excerpt from Chapter 54:
- Doorstopper: As of Chapter 59, the story is approximately as long as the English translation of memetic doorstopper War and Peacenote .
- Dramatic Irony: Used for comedy with the "very special hell" Running Gag. Kyon has had make out sessions with Haruhi, Yuki, Tsuruya, Mikuru and Kanae, and as a result he's troubled because he thinks he's cheating Haruhi even if they aren't even dating. His Arranged Marriage with Tsuruya doesn't help. He doesn't know that all the girls agreed to share him.
- Drives Like Crazy: Kyon's father drives "efficiently."
- Dropping the Bombshell:
- Haruhi and Tsuruya are chatting about Kyon and kissing in the presence of Yuki, who was silently reading:Tsuruya: Would kissing be within those boundaries?
Haruhi: I already did, so I'd be a hypocrite if I said no.
Tsuruya: So he practiced with you! That's why he was so good .... Er.... Um....Um, I have a picture of me in a junihitoe on that SD card!
Haruhi: You and him!? Er.... I mean.... Yeah, he's really really good, isn't he?
Tsuruya: I thinks so.
Yuki: I also think so.
- Why it's an example? Because it made Haruhi and Tsuruya realize that Yuki and Kyon being in a nightly Year Inside, Hour Outside training for weeks gave Yuki the chance of being kissed by Kyon many times before and made him become the excellent make-out partner, even if he can't remember it afterwards.
- Tsuruya-sama, ninkyo dantai boss, drops a bombshell so huge by revealing Kyon's relationship with his organization and the deeds Kyon has done for it that Kyon's mother faints from the shock.
- When Kyon was asked, in front of the whole 2-5 class, if he was engaged to Tsuruya. By Kunikida.
- Happens to Sasaki in chapter 62 when the SOS brigade prove to her that Aliens, ESPers, and Time Travelers are all real, she has Power Nullifier abilities, and that she creates spaces and bestowed powers onto people like Haruhi does. She decides that Fainting in Kyon's lap is the proper thing to do.
- Haruhi and Tsuruya are chatting about Kyon and kissing in the presence of Yuki, who was silently reading:
- The Dutiful Daughter: Tsuruya's mother in the backstory in contrast to her sister, Shinobu.
- Dynamic Entry: One of the fictional documents advise this. In addition, Kyon used it on one of the twelve Yakuza.
- Electric Slide: When Kyon wanted to get from his school to the meeting point with Future!Mikuru in Chapter 42, he performed this trope. Ryouko Asakura found it interesting but quite inferior compared to teleportation.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita:
- One of Tsuruya's costumes. Though admittedly, her cheerful demeanor doesn't complement it well.
- In Chapter 33, Yuki gets her costume, and she pulls it off quite well.
- EMP: One of the known presets for Kyon's guns fires a directed and fairly localized electromagnetic pulse. Used in two occasions to stop a car in its tracks.
- Empathic Weapon: When Kyon genetically imprints his new weapon, courtesy of future Kyon, he feels a highly disconcerting awareness of the weapon.
- Entertainingly Wrong: Due to her rational nature, Sasaki tends to get hit by this trope fairly often. For example, after witnessing Kyon's proficiency as a martial artist Sasaki accurately deduces that he must have trained for years to reach that level of skill; but she makes the reasonable yet incorrect assumption he knew how to fight when they met in middle school and remained quiet about because he's not the type to brag.
- Establishing Character Moment: Kyon's sister gets hers in Chapter 13 when Kyon tells her about his heroic antics. It really shows how much she cares for her brother and is afraid of losing him, as it's the first time the story is told from her perspective.
- Everyone Is Bi: Thus far the only one of Kyon's girlfriends not to have made out with at least one other of Kyon's girlfriends is Mikuru.
- Now that she's part of the harem, Kuyou is another exception. And as of Chapter 60, Sasaki's been added to the group.
- Kuyou's connection to Kyon's PDA by Yuki was described... As a very intimate process. Might count, for beings like Yuki and Kuyou.
- Now that she's part of the harem, Kuyou is another exception. And as of Chapter 60, Sasaki's been added to the group.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin:
- Excalibur in the Rust: Kyon's Ancestral Weapon. Subverted in that it actually is in a state of disrepair and data manipulation is needed to make it a functional weapon. Of course, it probably wasn't a Laser Blade in its original incarnation...
- Facepalm: Haruhi when she realized Kyon will get in trouble with the Student Council again by dangling Yamane out a window.
- Kyon's mother's reaction upon learning what really is the Tsuruya family business.
- "If you do not mind, I would like to faint now." Is Sasaki's (quite polite) reaction in Chapter 62 to finding out and having it proven to her that Aliens, ESPers, and Time Travelers are all real.
- Fanservice: Constantly played straight, and subverted in the actual 'fanservice arc'.
- More like constantly invoked. With fanservice played straight, there's often no particular in-story reason why it's there, and the characters themselves aren't aware of it. Here, the fact that there will be fanservice is so well established that nobody even questions it anymore; the remaining issue is who gets to do it.
- Fanservice Pack: Haruhi wishes for one in Chapter 2.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Part of Kyon's answer to Fujiwara's declaration of not giving up the slider's weapon to him. The other part was Kyon showing Fujiwara the very same weapon, meaning it's a predetermined event Kyon will receive it.
- Festival Episode: Watanagashi in Chapter 61.
- Fictional Document: The beginning of every chapter. Mostly Encyclopedia Exposita-like self-help books on being a hero, with the occasional poetry thrown in. They're implied to be from future documents/books. Since the author never said who wrote what, it will remain an extremely popular topic in the WMG.
- Filler: Subverted in the so-called Filler Arc.
- First Episode Spoiler: The IDSE scheduling Yuki's deletion, forcing Kyon to use his Trust Password on Haruhi thus making her be aware of her powers.
- First Girl Wins: Haruhi calls it a cliché, since she believes that one can always fix the situation, as in Sakanaka's case.
- First Name Basis: At the same time that the SOS Brigade strengthens their True Companions relationship, characters start addressing others differently:
- Kyon refers to Tsuruya by Tsuruya-san the first time she sees him fight (as he does in Canon), then Tsuruya-sempai after that fight when he volunteered himself to help her, and a few days later (from her perspective) Tsuruya-kun, regarding themselves as equals. Later on, in Chapter 45, he switches to Tsuruya-hime in order to better distinguish between her and Tsuruya-sama while around the Tsuruya-tachi.
- Mikuru starts calling Nagato Yuki-chan after they comfort each other when Kyon is recovering from being shot.
- Tsuruya had called both Haruhi and Mikuru that they both should drop the formalities (Tsuruya-san) when talking to her. Haruhi has been calling her Tsu-chan since then, and Mikuru(big) calls her the same way.
- Kyon finally called Mikuru Mikuru-chan after watching a movie together and being asked again.
- Tsuruya started calling Yuki Yuki-chan in Chapter 31.
- In Chapter 35, Kyon first calls Yuki Yuki when Haruhi asks her to make the club's filing cabinet secure. When visiting her later in the day, he calls her Yuki-rin, before finally settling on Yuki-chan.
- Kanae starts calling Mikuru Mikuru-onee in Chapter 38.
- Mikuru calls Haruhi Haruhi-chan in Chapter 41 after Haruhi tells her to stop calling her Suzumiya-san.
- In an interesting take on this trope, Kyon's sister changes the way she calls her brother from "Kyon-kun" back to "Nii-san"note in Chapter 48. Contrary to what one might think, her reversal towards formality in fact denotes a improvement in their relationship after she has come to respect Kyon more and his (albeit reluctant) acceptance of Nonoko as an ally.
- Yuki calls Mikuru Mikuru-chan in Chapter 50.
- Sasaki gets Saki-nyan from Tsuruya in Chapter 56.
- Kyon calls Kuyou Kuyou-san after he kisses her in Chapter 57.
- Five Rounds Rapid: Subverted after Sumiyoshi-rengo member Taiso signals to the other Yakuza members to pull out their guns when Koizumi uses his esper power to destroy Taiso's gun just as Taiso tries to fire it. Played straight when fellow Sumiyoshi-rengo, Senzo, fires five shots at Koizumi in his red energy form. Of course, this fails to work.
- Flash Mob: In Chapter 53, the entire SOS Brigade plus Sasaki, Kyouko and Nonoko staged Hare Hare Yukai in a train station dressed as Touhou characters to the surprise and delight of many passers-by. Sasaki can't help but wonder if it might be part of a Flash Mob Cover-Up.
- Flechette Storm: Used twice by Asakura in Chapter 1.
- Flight: Haruhi, as part of the upgrades she performs on her powers while in Safe Mode.
- Food as Bribe: In Chapter 59, Kuyou unintentionally prevented Hanyuu from informing Rika about Kyon and the girls disappearing from Mion's house by bribing her with (you guessed) cookies.
- Forced to Watch: Sasaki is made to watch on closed-circuit television Kyon and Yuki being ambushed by about thirty Sumiyoshi-rengo assassins. She thinks it's to torture her, but it's actually to use her power to disable Yuki's data manipulation and Kyon's superscience gadgetry.
Yuuto: There's no way you could come home from school one day and announce that you had, say, rescued an heiress from rampant hoodlums and secured a position at her father's company.
- In Chapter 3, Kanae commented that a few versions of Kyon from other universes knew about demons. Later chapters suggest that most likely she was talking about Oyashiro-sama, the vengeful shrine god of Hinamizawa (also known as Hanyuu).
- Kyon mentions that his uncle is called Keiichi in Chapter 7. It turns out that's the same one in Higurashi.
- Also this, from Chapter 9:
- And then, in Chapter 13, after the photography ring is shut down, Tsuruya's father visits Kyon's family and tells them that Kyon has secured a position at his company, due to Kyon rescuing his daughter from rampant hoodlums.
- In Chapter 31, Kyon quips that he doesn't have a "wise-cracking robotic sidekick" in response to Haruhi's remark about him becoming a lombax because of his tools. Ten chapters later he instead got Achakura, a Projected Chibi/Fairy Companionnote whose nominal responsibility is to assist Kyon at handling the very complex Applied Phlebotinum at his disposal.
- Yuuto is something of an Overprotective Dad about her daughter. Chapter 59 reveals why.
- There is another one hidden in the Running Gag about Kyon fending off nonexistent accusations of being a lolicon. Unlike all the other people at the other end of the joke, his father's reaction consisted in a sharp wince and a quick change of subject. This is most likely because he probably had to endure similar verbal barbs in the past after a very young (and even younger-looking) Akane gave birth to his first child.
- Fountain of Youth: After each training session Yuki restores the trainees' age, otherwise they'd age a year each night.
- Four Is Death: Defied. In Chapter 54, Koizumi is added to the group of people assigned to face the Combine (Kyon, Yuki, Kuyou, and Ryouko) the next time they appear "mostly to make the number involved slightly luckier."
- Framing the Guilty Party: Takahashi is arrested for kidnapping of a minor at the beginning of Chapter 49. While wrongly accused in this particular case, she did try to kidnap Sasaki and Kyon with the help of the Sumiyoshi-rengo just the day before in-story.
- Freefall Romance: In Chapter 39, a hasty and very tricky exit from Kuyou's Shadow Song teleported Kyon and Yuki to some point twelve kilometers above the sea at the south of Nishinomiya. After she navigated through the air to his side and grabbed his wrist to let him know she will handle the fall, Kyon nodded and hugged her tightly against himself. This gesture and the fact that Kyon asked for her help moments prior after a long while (for her) avoiding to "burden" her reassured Yuki and told her how much Kyon trusts in her and how needed she is for him, which is kind of a huge deal for her.
- Freudian Slip:
- Mostly from Kanae, followed by her blushing.Kanae: You got to take a bath with Sempai! I'm jealous! Er, I mean, that is... (claps hands over her mouth)
- Though Haruhi usually catches herself before letting something slip, she got one for the same scene as above, after prompting from Tsuruya.Tsuruya: Understood! Next time I want to take a bath with Kyon, I'll invite you over to join us!
Haruhi: You'd better! ... (realizing) I mean, don't think like that!
- Mikuru has her own share when asked about the movie she went to watch with Kyon and Yuki.Tsuruya: So, how was your date~?
Mikuru: W...wonderful. Ah! It, I mean, we had fun, er, the three of us! It wasn't a date, Tsuruya!
- Mostly from Kanae, followed by her blushing.
- Friendly Tickle Torture:
- In a stroke of role-reversal humor, Kyon once woke up Nonoko with the aptly named "forbidden little-sister-submission-tickle-strike."Nonoko: "T...tickle-ninja! No fair!"
- This trope was used as a joke threat in Chapter 61 by Mion and Satoko to get Rika to spill the beans about Kyon's secrets.
- In a stroke of role-reversal humor, Kyon once woke up Nonoko with the aptly named "forbidden little-sister-submission-tickle-strike."
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Chapter 59 has an unusual In-Universe example where the character's joke becomes very inappropriate only after another one asks what was intended as an unrelated question.
- Furo Scene:
"We have just shared a wonderful experience," Hanyuu stated. "We should use this opportunity to become friends."
- A few times, first with Kyon and Tsuruya, then Kyon, Tsuruya and Yuki, and later Kyon and Haruhi.
- Then there's another in the Thwarted Lull arc.
- In the Fanservice Arc, when Kyon goes to Hinamizawa. Admittedly, Yuki and Hanyuu don't join him, but, well...
- Mori didn't go to the first meeting Kyon had with Organization members because she was intimidated by something Kyon did a few days before. In Chapter 26 Kyon is shown bursting into a secret Organization meeting (falling through the skylight in a 10 meter drop) while carrying a man beneath an arm and calmly saying "Don't mind me dropping in," as if it is normal for someone to do this. He left through the skylight too.
- In Chapter 58 and shortly after they arrive to Hinamizawa, the SOS Brigade run into Sasaki's future self, who later will tell them about certain events that took/will take place in Nishinomiya during the weekend, including: another kidnapping attempt, a Car Chase and Kyon and Haruhi's involvement in these. Kyon takes the hint and decides to ask Yuki for some driving training in Retroactive Preparation for redoing the weekend.
- Gadget Watches: Kyon's wristwatch contains a skinsuitnote with the capability to selectively redistribute momentum over its surfacenote , which in turn contains gravity manipulators originally designed for enhanced movement. It also doubles as a radio clock (useful for Time Travel).
- Genre Savvy: Many characters already are in the source material, but Haruhi turns this Up to Eleven: she uses her powers to give herself a limitation on them so she doesn't destroy the world accidentally; and while she learns to be responsible with her full powers she'll have a limited version of them so she can still have fun. Of course, things can go bad, as explained in Blessed with Suck.
- Even Kyon's sister is starting to become this, though in her case it borders on Wrong Genre Savvy: she was able to deduce that Kyon was visiting an enemy to draw him to their side, but at the same time she ardently believes that she will become a Magical Girl on her next field trip.
- Taniguchi seems to be well aware of his role as comic relief and makes the most of it. He even thinks that he got a girlfriend out of deal because it makes things funnier and he's definitely not complaining about that. As with Nonoko, he did get a few things wrong and thinks he's in a shonen story with Kyon as the main character. For example, he incorrectly speculates that the New Transfer Student in Chapter 62 is Kyon's "new fiancée" and/or someone he saved and who is joining the team. He got very close though. Sasaki, who fills the bill to a T, was transferred to a different sophomore class.
- Gilligan Cut: As Haruhi initiates her Memory Gambit, she mentions in her narration that she's making a small change to Kyon as well. Cut to Kyon leaping out of his bed like a ninja in the morning with lots of energy, then deciding to go in to school early to study for a math test.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: After learning in Chapter 19 that Kyon promised Miyoko to take her to see a gory movie the young girl so eagerly wanted to watch, Haruhi invites herself and Mikuru along while expecting that this trope would come into play and hoping to invoke a Security Cling out of the time traveler. It goes better than planned: Miyoko and Haruhi herself end grabbing his arms for comfort. Mikuru, on the other hand, leaps onto Kyon's lap and presses her face into his chest before the ten minutes' mark and remains that way for the rest of the screening.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Kyon once had a dream of present!Mikuru and future!Mikuru which he started reminiscing about. He cuts himself off before he digs himself deeper.
- He was also pretty interested when Haruhi kissed Tsuruya.
- Nor did he have any objection when it was Tsuruya and Yuki or Haruhi and Kanae. Kyon is a very lucky boy.
- Haruhi and Tsuruya to the already hugging Mikuru and Yuki when Kyon is recovering from being shot at the hospital.
- Kyon is in the receiving end of one from his sister as a greeting in Chapter 35.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Achakura and chibi!Kuyou dressed the part and tried to play the role for Kyon in Chapter 54, with great emphasis on tried. Let's just say that neither of them quite get Black and White Morality.Kyon (to Angel!Ryoko): "I don't think you're supposed to tell me to be more violent when you're dressed like that."
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: In the Heroic Antics Begin arc.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Kimidori Emiri wears Trope-tan character print panties.
- Go to Your Room: Kyon's mother to her son in Chapter 13.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Aside from using Japanese honorifics, the author uses a lot of Japanese words, especially with regards to the Yakuza.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Kyon and Yuki use this trope a lot in both of their fights with the Yakuza.
- Growling Gut: Kyon in Chapter 45, after Mikuru asks him if he's hungry.
- Half Truth: Kyon tells Aida that his PDA is customnote , and says that he got Akasaka's picture because if you do it right, people just look right through younote .
- Hangover Sensitivity:
Mion: My head's killing me. Kei-chan, Rika-chan... if I don't make it... I'm leaving the household to Makoto-chan.
- Happens to almost all the members of the "after-school club" in Chapter 17. Mion seems to have it the worst, judging from her reaction to her sister's intentionally-too-loud greeting:
Shion: (yelling and banging the frying pan of eggs on the table) Good morning, nee-chan! How are you doing today?
Mion: (whimpering and clutching her head) Please, where are my henchmen when I need them?
- Subverted in Chapter 63. During a job-related event, Kyon had to drink some whiskey at the insistence of high-raking members of the Yamaguchi-gumi to celebrate the good outcome of the meeting. To his surprise, he woke without a hangover the next morning and soon realized he had to thank Yuki and her powers for that.
- Head Pet: Deadpan Snarker Kyon + Team Pet Achakura = Inevitability.
- As of Chapter 48, chibi!Kuyou also takes a turn riding on Kyon's head.
- Heroes Gone Fishing: Kyon goes fishing with his uncle Keiichi when he goes to visit for golden week.
- The entire Fanservice Arc counts as this.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: In Chapter 61, Kyon uses a sword against what can be described as a Walking Tank. Justified by three reasons: it was a Laser Blade capable of cutting through its armor, he was under the protection of personal Deflector Shields and he made a point to ask Achakura first to run electronic countermeasures to mess with his enemies targeting systems. Still very risky.
- Heroic BSOD:
- Subverted, as the pressure of knowing the implications of her own power almost provokes one on Haruhi.
- Kyon suffers this on his backstory without realising it: after Sasaki constant deconstructionism, culminating with the deconstruction of The Power of Love, Kyon's sister notes her brother lost his smile, only to be regained after Kyon met Haruhi.
- Kyon comes to close to having one when the girls finally reveal the harem plot to him.
- Hero Secret Service: The SOS Brigade, including the Organization and Tsuruya's Yakuza for Kyon, for mostly non-action roles. Haruhi'd like to be in the action though.Haruhi: *chuckling* Damn, I just realized, I'm stuck with Kyon's paperwork again!
- Hesitation Equals Dishonesty: Kyon does this in Chapter 6 when Tsuruya asked why he had to return to the clubroom despite him telling her earlier that he was dismissed for the day. It turns out he had to find Mikuru to Time Travel.Kyon: Well, I have to head back in anyway, since ... I forgot my shoes. Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow, alright, Tsuruya-sempai?
- Hidden Depths: Pretty much every named character and a few more. A particularly poignant example is Kyon himself, who in Chapter 5 revealed to Haruhi that the reason why he always kept certain emotional distance until then, at least enough to prevent a Relationship Upgrade with her, has nothing to do with the supernatural. He was convinced that if they ever hooked up, Haruhi would eventually get bored with someone as unremarkable as him. Being the snarky friend who complains from the sidelines? Sure, he can handle that. Getting rejected for such a reason? No way. This argument can be easily extended to Yuki and Mikuru. Probably the only reason why he allowed himself to fantasize with the latter is that he "knew" via Retroactive Precognition that nothing would come out of it even if he did.
- High-Altitude Interrogation: How Kyon made Yamane spill the beans in Chapter 11.
- Holographic Disguise: The "stealth function" of Kyon's greatcoat. Outfits need to be scanned first, but the OS is smart enough to build a sufficiently interactive 3D model from ordinary pictures.
- Holy Backlight: Kyon is seen that way by Kanae in after fighting a giant robot at the beach.
- Hopeless Suitor:
- A minor PoV character from Chapter 51 called Oe Akito is this for Haruhi. She caught his attention since her performance as ENOZ's replacement vocalist during the last Cultural Festival and later he became enamoured by her strong, indomitable personality. By the time he was ready to make his move though, the president of the Martial Arts Club also discovered that Haruhi was evidently interested in certain "snarky standoffish guy", which made him give up on trying to approach her. After the news about Kyon's engagement went public, Akito got his hopes up again and he was even willing to challenge Haruhi's supposed rebound guy to a fight until he learned that the "guy" was a small first-year girl, realizing that there was no way to drive Kanae off without coming across as an inexcusable jerk.
- Yuki rejected at least two members of the Computer Research Society who confessed to her after the accidental announcement of Kyon and Tsuruya's engagement. It's implied that their president feels the same way but he gave up long ago because he somewhat realized just how important Kyon is for Yuki.
- Mikuru, Kitago's School Idol, has them literally by the dozen. After Kyon supposedly got out the way, things got so bad that she had to invent a boyfriend who attends to a distant high school so they would leave her alone. She gets bonus points because she convincingly described her boyfriend by simply speaking about Kyon with a different name.
- Kunikida carried a torch for Sasaki since middle school. She definitely turns him down in Chapter 48.
- Once she realized her own feelings, Sasaki considered herself one for the already engaged Kyon. Subverted later on in Chapter 60.
- How Much Did You Hear?:
- In Chapter 18, Kyon discovers his sister eavesdropping Haruhi when she's outlining her plan to share Kyon to Mikuru. While Tsuruya wonders what she overheard, Haruhi doesn't really care about how much exactly she knows: she just cares that she doesn't tell anybody else.
- It happens again in Chapter 32, just after Haruhi glomps Kanae and Mikuru:Haruhi: "Making such cute noises... if he ever tries to start something, those sounds will make Kyon unable to stop!"
Mikuru: "S...Suzumiya-san! Spare Kanae-chan! T...take me instead!"
(Haruhi is interrupted by a far-too familiar tug on the collar of her shirt)
Haruhi: "Eh? Y...you, H...how long...?"
Yuki: " 'If he ever tries to start something, those sounds will make Kyon unable to stop' "
Kyon: "Somehow, I wasn't really sure that I should interfere..."
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Tsuruya observes that Kasai and Mori appear to be this after they start dating.
- Humans Through Alien Eyes: In the sections shown from Kuyou's point of view. For example, she's seen observing baking cookies with childish fascination and she seems to equate interpersonal relationships to complex orbital systems to facilitate her comprehension.
- Humiliation Conga: Yamane Jun. After him being caught off-guard by Tsuruya in the idol research club room and tried to kill her Kyon held him by an ankle, his body dangling outside a third floor window, making people who was passing by take photos with their phones. Then he just had to wet himself.Tsuruya: That's precious! I'll make sure one of those pictures of you that's being taken down there now is right next to the article about this that'll be in the paper!
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Somehow, Kyon tucked his slider weapon into his shirt from Haruhi's point of view.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Nonoko in Chapter 17:"Yeah," Kyon's sister agreed, pouting. "You're not very good at keeping secrets."
- Haruhi's rant in Chapter 27 about long and/or ongoing series. She's especially unhappy that Negima is that long, but the part that sticks out most is that she doesn't like light novels that go on for more than 10 novels. The source material is releasing its 10th novel, and it's only the start of the Brigade's second year.
- In addition, this fanfic is quite long (see Doorstopper above), and was the longest Haruhi fanfic on fanfiction.net before the author removed it and reposted itnote .
- Mikuru's "it's forbidden" speech in Chapter 29.
- Nonoko in Chapter 17:
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: An Elite Mook from the Sumiyoshi-rengo used an iaijutsu technique against Kyon in Chapter 44. Kyon barely managed to parry the attack, breaking his own sword in the process, and then he took advantage of his opponent's surprise to sucker-punch him in the side of the face.
- I Call It "Vera": Kyon's Morph Weapons, Altair and Vega, and his Beam Saber, Hakurouken.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Achakura says this word-for-word in Chapter 48. She's horribly upset at two things: her actions directly lead to Kyon's sister being in severe danger, and she's feeling 'Negative' emotions like sadness, worry, and guilt for the first time, and hates it. In order to let herself stop feeling that way, she gives Kyon the schematics to a special form of his Laser Blade that can erase her from existence. He's tempted to do so because of the danger to his sister, but is talked out of it when he's told that she was honestly trying to save his life, and never intended to bring Kyon's sister to the front lines.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Invoked by Haruhi in Chapter 47 when an identical Alternate Self of Suou Kuyou appears. She quickly decides to tie one of her golden ribbons to her friend's hair to avoid mixing them up.
- If I Had a Nickel:Haruhi: "If I had a paper crane for all of the things that Kyon's done for me, I'd have a wish by now!"
- I Kiss Your Hand: In Chapter 33, Kyon, wearing a Victorian-style suit, plays along with Yuki's, wearing an Elegant Gothic Lolita outfit, offer of tea making this gesture (It Makes Sense in Context). While he makes the gesture his lips don't actually touch Yuki's hand.
- Imagine Spot:
- In Chapter 13, after Kyon phoned Yuki.He stared a minute longer, imagining her in her apartment, kneeling by the phone, her cheeks pink-tinged as she daydreamed about him... But he dismissed that thought. This was Yuki, after all. As much as he might wish that...
- Kanae dreamed of kissing a shirtless Kyon in a shadowy wooded glade surrounded by bunnies and flowers, not on a beach, after fighting off an inter-dimensional robot.
- In Chapter 13, after Kyon phoned Yuki.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: What would Kyon do before going all CQC against a Walking Tank? Invoke this trope by deploying ECM to make himself difficult to target on.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Performed by the Trope Namer, Ryuguu Rena, on a cosplaying Yuki in Chapter 42. Kyon barely held her back from glomping Yuki, but she swept her up anyway the moment Kyon let go.
"God, she's cute like that, though," Haruhi exclaimed, grabbing Kanae away from her sempai suddenly. Kanae allowed another squeak of alarm to escape as the older girl held her tightly and twirled around. "I want to take her home!"
- Haruhi does this to Kanae in Chapter 31, although not quite as extreme.
- Incoming Ham: In chapter 57, when Taniguchi greets Kunikida with a You! Exclamation, pointing his finger towards him. Actually an inversion because it was Kunikida who was entering the scene (Taniguchi was waiting for him to arrive this whole time) but it had the same effect as a straight use.
- Inconvenient Summons: When they start training Yuki teleported Mikuru two nights in a row to her apartment just after Mikuru took a bath, still wearing her Modesty Towel. After complaining about being teleported while bathing the next teleport was while she was eating.
- Indirect Kiss: Kyon and Yuki. Kyon's aunt observes no real hesitation on his part when he has to share a teacup with Yuki.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: In Chapter 31, after Yuki teleports Kyon with the intention of letting Haruhi having a make out session with him.Kanae: We have to take care of that ... thing in the kitchen, right Asahina-san?
- In Medias Res: The prologue.
- We finally reached the events it covers after 41 intervening chapters.
- Inner City School: "Hikami Gakuen" was mentioned only in passing during Chapter 12 and promptly described as "the delinquent capital of our city."
- Innocent Fanservice Girl:
- Tsuruya happily undresses in front of Kyon, after they slept together (No, not that way). She also bathes with him, and almost gives him a nosebleed the first time.
- Yuki offers to teach Haruhi how to kiss better. Haruhi's mind goes into overdrive.
- If Mikuru's thoughts are to be trusted, Tsuruya never bothers with a Modesty Towel. Ever.
- Thanks to her tendency to imitate others and Achakura's encouragement, Kuyou picked up the habit of using her powers to dress herself up without really minding what she is wearing. So far, her outfits range from the adorable to the "distracting" with a tendency to the former.
- Innocent Innuendo:
- Crops up on occasion. First between Kanae and Kyon, then later with Kyon, Yuki, and Tsuruya.
- In the prologue, Haruhi asks Kyon eagerly to "see it", asking in the process "Doesn't that get hot?" with a wide smile. It's his beam saber.
- Kanae slept with Kyon, and Haruhi immediately lampshades everything when she meets them.Haruhi: Wow. Just ... around you, Kyon, that slider turns into a living innuendo factory. Kanae-chan's little 'you wore me out last night' comment, her constant Freudian slips, and now, 'accidentally falling into your bed'? I can't even bring myself to get worked up over the things that get said between the two of you - what really happened? And where'd the Trope-tan cosplay come from?
- In Chapter 63, Haruhi provides a hilarious example.Haruhi: (...) there's this nice little thing where we take turns sleeping with Kyon.
- Innocently Insensitive: Kanae in Chapter 63. Haruhi was feeling somewhat down because she wasn't able to be of much help to the team lately and increasingly frustrated because several high-priority situations in a row got in the way of her time with Kyon. When she finally got a chance to arrange a date, Kanae mistook Haruhi's words and enthusiastically accepted the invitation intended for Kyon. Thankfully Mikuru presented her own plans for a date with "Shutaro" and they decided to make it instead a double (single? quadruple?) date for the four of them.
- Insistent Terminology: Yakuza members tend to refer to their own organization as "ninkyo dantai" (任侠団体 or 仁侠団体, "chivalrous organization") and enemy organizations as "bōryokudan" (暴力団, "violence group"). The police also tend to use "bōryokudan".
- Instant Armor: Yuki adds this function to Kyon's watch, which saves his life when he gets shot.
- Instant Cosplay Surprise: Haruhi modified/learnt that Skynet, Kyon's PDA and controller of the stealth function on Kyon's greatcoat, can scan pictures from the Internet. The first thing she does is make Kyon wear a Victorian suit, followed by various outfits from the same era.
- Internal Reveal: In Chapter 16, Rika Fuurude tells Kyon about the events of Higurashi: When They Cry, hoping he'll reveal his story after that. Understanding that she'll believe him and will keep his secret, Kyon tells Rika afterwards about the SOS Brigade and the supernatural events he had lived through.
- Invented Individual: "Shutaro", originally just Mikuru's non-existent Pretend Boyfriend (see Hopeless Suitor above), becomes Kyon's holographic Secret Identity. This cover identity is based on an aged-up version of one of his younger cousins (specifically the one who thinks that Girls Have Cooties) and occasionally goes in dates with Mikuru.
- Inverse Law of Utility and Lethality: Kyon's equipment. All in all, Kyon's more lethal tools (i.e. his Laser Blade, slider guns or the suborbital Kill Sat) remain largely unused in comparison to the support ones (e.g. Invisibility Cloak, stealth function and particularly the skinsuit).
- Invisibility Cloak: Kyon's equipment provides him with one of these at will. Well, so long as he's not too cold.
- I Should Write a Book About This: Rena used some of her and her friends experiences for some of the plots of her Brave Detective Sasha series in a cleverly covert and toned-down way. The books are intended for children and teenagers after all.
- I Think You Broke Her: After Yuki makes modifications to Kuyou using Haruhi's (Kyon-approved) Reality Warper powers, Haruhi and Tsuruya start to ask Kuyou some questions. When Tsuruya asks her why she wanted to be linked to Kyon in the same manner as Ryouko, she considers the question... and freezes, causing Haruhi to wonder if Tsuruya broke her.Haruhi: Tsu-chan, did you just break Suou-san?
Ryouko: I don't get it! It's like she suddenly got overwhelmed as soon as she tried to access a memory!
- It's a Long Story: In Chapter 4, after Kyon returns to the clubroom with a little cut in the head, a faint line of blood trickling down one cheek:Haruhi: What happened?
Tsuruya: You're still bleeding? But I put a bandage on that for you yesterday!
Kyon: Long story.
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Morning: Averted, though Kyon really wants that when he wonders whether Haruhi will end the world after the previous night's incident in Chapter 28.
- It Was a Gift: When Kyon goes with Yuki to buy a phone to her in Chapter 27 Yuki acknowledges that, even if she could emulate the functions of a phone without effort, she would treasure it as a gift from him.
- Also, Mikuru's mail and photo to Kyon in Chapter 15. Kyon finally admits to Mikuru keeping her photos without her consent and deletes them in front of her, thinking he's being hypocrite after breaking the illegal photo ring. After a really uncomfortable day for both of them, Kyon receives a mail from Mikuru with a photo of herself with a very shy look and skimpy clothing, implying she forgives him. In a later chapter Kyon comments to adult!Mikuru that photo is meaningful to him.
- It Will Never Catch On: Haruhi thinks Kyon's nickname for his beam saber in its tool mode will never catch on. He calls it his sonic screwdriver.
- I Was Just Joking: In Kyon and Haruhi's first meeting with Michikyuu Kanae, Kyon jokingly suggests that she's a slider who knows them from a Alternate Universes after she ran away from them. Haruhi starts chasing her before he could say the line. He was right.
- Jaw Drop:
- This is the reaction of Kyon's father on how Tsuruya's father countered his negative to change jobs due to loyalty to his company (so Kyon's father could work under Tsuruya's father): buying the company where Kyon's father works.
- Koizumi in Chapter 29 when he's told Kyon got engaged to Tsuruya.
- Jump Physics:
- Yuki jumps from the ground floor, hops off the wall several times, and hangs on the roof one-handed before she slides Yamane Jun's window open. Kyon looks at that and decides that his chance of mimicking her is nonexistent.
- Later, Kyon invokes this trope via gravity manipulation and his training.
- Just Between You and Me: Haruhi tried to invoke this trope to get information out of a yakuza in Chapter 55, who not only subverts it but also points out that "smart people know better than to entrust critical and — more importantly — incriminating information to pawns like [himself]". Not a great loss because Haruhi and Sasaki mainly wanted to keep his attention away from Haruhi's cell phone while she called for help.
- Just in Time: In Chapter 44, Kyon and Yuki are forced to fight over thirty Sumiyoshi-rengo while most of Kyon's equipment is disabled and Yuki is Brought Down to Normal. The second katana Kyon took from his assailants eventually shatters, which is when the Yakuza decide to stop holding back and draw their guns. It is at this moment that Koizumi bursts through the ceiling while destroying the ceiling cameras that were set up to allow a Power Nullifier to be in effect.
- Kawaiiko: Discussed in Chapter 10.Haruhi: "What about a stewardess? Yeah, with your kawaiiko features and small frame, I think you would look even more moe in uniforms."
Kanae: "Ooh, that might be fun! But I'm not a kawaiiko, I use 'I' (...) Would Sempai like Kanae-chan more if she refered to herself in the third person?"
Haruhi: (crosses arms making a 'X' sign) "Negative! Too burikko ... and if you become a natural, it'll be a kawaiiko overload."
- Kill Sat: Gungnir isn't quite orbital, but the effect is the same.
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: In Chapter 61, Kyon One-Hit Kills a Strider with Altair in railgun-like configuration.
- Know When To Fold Them: Daimonji was the only member of the photography ring who gave up rather than resisting. He got off the lightest.
- A Lady on Each Arm: A bit of a decon/recon. This trope becomes a common expression of affection among Kyon and his girlfriends, however it's something they rarely can get away with in public (e.g. sitting in the same row in a movie theater and when the light are dimmed).
- Lampshade Hanging: If every time something was lampshaded was listed, we'd probably make the page four times longer.
- Laserblade: Kyon wields one in the prologue and finally gets it in Chapter 31.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After each session of training, Yuki clears out "all non-necessary mental data to prevent unintentional corruption or trauma" from the trainees.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Haruhi in Chapter 62:"Nothing but the best for Kyon's girl... cohorts"
- Latex Space Suit: Played with. Kyon's "skinsuit" looks like black Body Paint when activated, thus having the "form fitting" requirements down pat, but it's an Instant Armor designed to be turned on and off without any need of removing whatever other clothes he could be wearing at the moment and his coat prevent Clothing Damage as par for the course, so it's unlikely that it'll play any fanservice role whatsoever.
- Leap of Faith: There is an interesting instance in Chapter 47, where Kyon tried to use his gravity manipulators to jump from ground floor to the rooftop of a building in an attempt to get himself and Kuyou away from a group of enemy Synths trying to gun them down. In this case it's not that Kyon couldn't see where he would land, but rather he had the certainty that the jump was beyond the limits of his physics-defying equipment unless an almost unresponsive Kuyou would be able to deduce his tacit intentions and spare a little bit of her power to give them the necessary momentum to cover the required distance while still devoting most of her efforts to repel the actions of her alternate self. In other words, he bet on something that only happened once before.
- Leave the Two Lovebirds Alone: Yuki in Chapter 29, when she left Mikuru and Kyon alone by the entrance of Tsuruya's house.
- Lesser of Two Evils: Even if Kyon hardly qualifies as "evil", that's not a clear-cut conclusion for the Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist Akasaka Miyuki. From her perspective, he's a remarkably competent yakuza who leaves little to no incriminating evidence behind and a well-regarded member of the biggest crime syndicate in Japan. However, in Chapter 61 Miyuki discovers that Kyon's actions could be preventing supernatural dangers from reaching innocent people and she resolves to try to keep the law's eyes off Kyon.
- Literal-Minded: Kyon's PDA. In Chapter 29, when Kyon starts chatting with Sasaki she brings up that most of his events were most probably organized by someone else. His PDA, being able to learn and adapt, brings up his event planner immediately. He then tries to avoid meetings with her with lame excuses that Skynet (his PDA) obligingly fills his schedule with as it doesn't understand Kyon is lying.
- An alternate interpretation is that Skynet knew Kyon was lying, but was helping him out anyway - as Kyon never makes any mentions of Skynet reminding him of any of his false excuses. Either he deleted them later or Skynet did it for him.
- A third alternative is that Skynet knew he was lying, but was doing it to mess with him. Given how it reacted to losing at chess, and changed its name back after Haruhi switched it...
- Kuyou. When asked if she knows what udon is, she responds by listing its chemical composition. And after hearing Kyon say he is going to "A Special Hell", she decides she has to find the special hell so she can go with him.
- An alternate interpretation is that Skynet knew Kyon was lying, but was helping him out anyway - as Kyon never makes any mentions of Skynet reminding him of any of his false excuses. Either he deleted them later or Skynet did it for him.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Defied. Once the Brigade realized how emotionally dependent Kanae was on Kyon, they made a conscious effort to make her understand she can rely on all her friends.
- Locked Out of the Fight: While the whole SOS Brigade was in class when the enemy slider attacked Kitago the battle was inside Kuyou's shadow song. Koizumi can't enter those spaces by himself.
- Locked Out of the Loop: The males in the SOS Brigade don't know that the females in the brigade are aiming to share Kyon.
- As of Chapter 40, Kyon has been brought into the loop. Koizumi still doesn't know, though.
- And as of Chapter 52, Koizumi has figured it out.
- Lolicon: Kyon isn't pleased to note that Taniguchi thinks Kanae's cute, in a lolicon sort of way.
- And a running gag has Kyon denying that he feels this way for younger girls like Miyoko and his cousin.
- Loophole Abuse:
- In Chapter 47, the only way Asakura Ryouko could circumvent "good-child mode" and alert the brigade of a slider attack was get Kyon's sister to speak to her first and convince her to activate Kyon's tools and deliver them to him.
- Tsuruya commented in Chapter 63 that she promised (way back in Chapter 14) she wouldn't bathe with Kyon again until she gets the chance to invite Haruhi over to join them (It Makes Sense in Context). Yuki, always a helper, pointed out that the specific wording of the promise didn't forbid them from showering together. They still didn't go for it, though.
- Love Dodecahedron: Kyon-centered. Putting aside the already established (semi-)canon pairings of Haruhi, Mikuru and Yuki, Kanae's crush on him was obvious enough since her first appearance in the storynote , Tsuruya Haruka eventually admits to harboring similar romantic feelings for him, and as of Chapter 30, the normally unflappable Sasaki is undeniably distressed by news of his engagement to Tsuruya, although she's unable to identify why she's distressed by that in the first place. Furthermore, Kuyou's love has been confirmed. Aside from those centering Kyon, Sakanaka is implied to like Kunikida, who in turn harbors an unrequited crush towards Sasaki. Gosh, this is a worthy rival to School Rumble.
- Luminescent Blush:
- Kanae. Almost always when the situation involves Kyon.
- Also Mikuru in the picture she sent to Kyon in Chapter 15.
- And Haruhi, after kissing Kyon in Chapter 29. Also Koizumi because he's linked to Haruhi.
- Magic Skirt: Averted by Kuyou in Chapter 37 during a Dynamic Entry. Both the trope and the aversion are surprisingly underplayed, all considered.
- The Maiden Name Debate: Maebara Keiichi changed his family name to Fuurude when he married Rika as per custom in Hinamizawa to preserve the traditional name of the shrine maidens that minister to Oyashiro-sama's shrine.
- Major Injury Underreaction:
- In Chapter 22, Iyouji is shocked to realize that Kyon dismissed being shot so easily.
- The above example could be chalked up to the fact Kyon lost consciousness too quickly and that the emergency medical function of his skinsuit pretty much guaranteed his safety from such a wound. But then in Chapter 60, when discussing something about one of the guys responsible of the attack, Haruhi and Tsuruya remarked that the shooting doesn't even cross Kyon's mind when he was voicing his grievances against Ryuugu Ryo.
- Manly Tears: Kyon, after his aunt Rika told him her backstory.
- Marry Them All: Keiichi has ended up in this situation despite being married to Rika, and Haruhi is aiming for this.
- This is actually deconstructed and then reconstructed in the same chapter. According to Rika, the romantic situation at the end of the Higurashi series turned into a No Romantic Resolution situation for several years until Rika was physically old enough to make her move on Keiichi, but the way she tried to catch Keiichi's notice nearly destroyed her and Keiichi's relationship with Mion and the rest of their friends (and considering that this is Higurashi, it's not hard to imagine how that might've played out). Disaster was only averted at the last moment when a Marry Them All solution was proposed by Rena and Satoko and accepted by the rest of the group. Even then, it's not an easy relationship to have; it only works because the whole group were iron-clad True Companions before they were a harem, and each of the girls has enough self-esteem and love for their partners to not worry about him ever abandoning them.
- Marshmallow Hell:
- Haruhi pulls Mikuru onto Kyon while wrestling for control of a letter in his jacket. The result is this trope.Kyon: I might have died happy.
- Also, Mikuru pulls one on Yuki, leading to a rather deadpan comment from Yuki. It Makes Sense in Context.Yuki: It becomes difficult to breathe. Is this ... appropriate?
- Haruhi pulls Mikuru onto Kyon while wrestling for control of a letter in his jacket. The result is this trope.
- Mathematician's Answer:
- In Chapter 26, Yuki hugs Kyon to buy Haruhi time to play with his PDA at the latter's request, cueing this exchange:Haruhi: Er, er, good work. Um, more emotion next time, Yuki, and then we'll have that sequel down solidly!
Haruhi: That means you can let go!
Haruhi: That means let go!
- Yuki and Kanae use this trope while at Tsuruya's house in Chapter 36, when Yuki and Haruhi are forcibly undressing Kyon, while Kanae is getting out the various layers of his kimono out of a bundle.Kyon: Y...Yuki! Kanae-chan! Come on! H...help me- Waaah! Help me out!
Yuki: I am helping.
Kanae: I'm trying!
- Yuki gets another, amazingly cute one in Chapter 40. Kyon wakes up to find both Yuki and Kanae in his bed.Kyon: Um...Good morning?
- In Chapter 26, Yuki hugs Kyon to buy Haruhi time to play with his PDA at the latter's request, cueing this exchange:
- Meaningful Echo: In Chapter 6.(In a reunion with the Student council)
Kyon: I don't really believe that last part, but it's nice of you to say. I just want to point out, though, that a challenge against any one of us is a challenge against all of us(...).
(Immediately after Kyon stops talking Haruhi barges in the room)
Haruhi: Trying to pick us apart by calling out my underlings when I'm not around, eh? Well, you've got a lot to learn! A challenge against one of us is a challenge against all of us!
- Also, Mikuru's response to Kyon getting a minor injury with "Kyon, don't die!" Then, after Kyon is shot, Mikuru responds with the same line, just before fainting.
- Mega Neko: Shamisen, on Nonoko's arrival during the Resonance Cascade.
- Mission Control: Haruhi and Tsuruya for Kyon when he and Sasaki go to meet the Anti-SOS Brigade.
- Mob War: Kyon's actions together with the involvement of the NPA caused the Sumiyoshi-rengo to declare war against the local groups associated to the Yamaguchi-gumi due to the loss of billions of yen in potential profits. There is a little of deconstruction going on as none of organizations really want an open conflict but the Sumiyoshi-rengo can't afford to do nothing and lose face, which would just deepen their problems.
- Mood Whiplash: Invoked in Chapter 59. After the reveal of the difficult circumstances surrounding the past of Kyon's parents, Tsuruya tried to lighten the mood by remarking how Mion was perhaps the basis of Kyon's "type" (key words: "bonbons and ponytails"). It worked.
- Moment Killer: The enemy slider in Chapter 30. He found Kanae just when she was going to kiss Kyon.
- Morph Weapon: One of the slider's enemies has one. Kyon receives it later as a present from his future self. Also, in Chapter 30, one of the enemy sliders attack, only for Fujiwara and Kuyou to perform a Villainous Rescue. Kuyou reprograms one of the weapons for Kyon, only for Fujiwara to take it. She reprograms another one for Kyon anyway.
- Muggle Best Friend: Sakanaka and Yanagimoto to Haruhi.
- Mundane Utility:
- Yuki used data manipulation to slow relative time around a kettle to preserve tea and prevent it to cool down in Chapter 32.
- Haruhi often makes random items such as knives, forks, and pencils move on their own simply because she doesn't feel like cooking/writing physically.
- Kyon turned one of his slider guns into a cosplay prop in Chapter 42, and he frequently uses his disguise coat for the same purpose.
- It's hinted that Yuki opted for data manipulation to give herself real long hair instead of using a wig during the Flash Mob in Chapter 53, and Haruhi used her power to make her hair grow faster, although not quite unbelievably fast.
- Kuyou's "Grand Alchemy of Cookie Creation" in Chapter 57.
- As part of her training on teleportation, Kanae learned to very accurately assess and recall sizes and forms at a glance. Said skill is incidentally very helpful when cooking, allowing her prepare and portion the ingredients to match precisely the requirement of the intended dishes.
- Yuki spared Kyon from a hangover by neutralizing the alcohol's effects with her powers.
- Must Have Caffeine: Coffee seems to be Keiichi's remedy of choice whenever he drinks too much. Satoshi, on the other hand, seems to need his morning fix, as well, even without drinking.Rika smirked, helping Shion with the kitchen chores until the coffee machine chirped. Keiichi and Satoshi stumbled into the room as if summoned by the chime, both wearing robes and with roughly identically bedraggled hair in their respective shades. "Coffee," they moaned in synch, zombie-like.
- My Own Grampa: Kyon hopes that this isn't the case, after realizing that he time travels a lot, and that he wouldn't have to go back in time and ...
- Mythology Gag:
- Asakura gets turned into Achakura. The chapter marks the first time Haruhi is called "Haruhi-chan".
- Also, the later chapters reference information that was given in the later books such as Itsuki supposedly being the leader of the Organization and Sasaki and Haruhi having gone to elementary school together.
- In Chapter 51, Haruhi gives Kanae a smiley-face hairpin, which is the same Hair Decoration as that worn by Yasumi, the Canon character Kanae was based upon.
- Narrative Profanity Filter: Hanyuu's outburst in Chapter 59, described via Yuki's narration:Hanyuu's reaction was to emit an entirely unexpected string of words — the kind of language that Yuki had read was typically related to European mariners.
- Neighbourhood Friendly Gangsters: The Tsuruya Yakuza, especially since their current oyabun and his Yakuza Princess daughternote take the "Neighbourhood Friendly" part literally.
- The Yamaguchi-gumi (the Tsuruya family Yakuza is a branch of it) were responsible for most of the relief and aid efforts after the Kobe earthquake, as Kyon commented in Chapter 8. This real life event arguably becomes a plot point in Chapter 9, as it partially explains Kyon's lack of real reluctance to join the Yamaguchi-gumi.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Subverted. Kyon initially thinks this is the case after accidentally informing Fujiwara that the latter cannot die until after traveling back to the previous Saturday, however Fujiwara did a Villainous Rescue on that day, so if he had not gone back in time due to Kyon's information, Kyon would have died.
- What ultimately makes Tachibana decide for trapping Kyon halfway into Sasaki's closed space was Mori's implicit threat to her grandfather.
- Also she gets the idea from Fujiwara warning her not to do it.
- What ultimately makes Tachibana decide for trapping Kyon halfway into Sasaki's closed space was Mori's implicit threat to her grandfather.
- No Hugging, No Kissing: The Show Within a Show Brave Detective Sasha is an In-Universe example. Koizumi commented that fans are speculating that the last book of the series might depict a kiss between the main characters.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: Kyon does not want to think about the idea of being his shipped with Koizumi. Kanae does. Repeatedly. It all comes to a head when the contents of her notebook are revealed, where even Koizumi can't resist joining in the teasing.
- Noodle Incident:
- Kyon travelled back in time to defeat 12 Yakuza single-handedly, complete with Badass Longcoat, and on the same trip did something that was said to have intimidated Mori severely. Later on, readers discover that Mori is extremely intimidating already, as seen in the Psychotic Smirk entry.
- Subverted even later in Chapter 26 where the events are described in detail.
- In-universe, lampshaded example: In Chapter 45, Kuyou eats a plate of noodles far too fast (and did not yet understand the concept of chewing), and winds up choking. When Kyon gives her the Heimlich, she almost hits Achakura with a noodle. In the next chapter, Kyon turns it into a literal example of this by not "going over the noodle incident."
- Kyon travelled back in time to defeat 12 Yakuza single-handedly, complete with Badass Longcoat, and on the same trip did something that was said to have intimidated Mori severely. Later on, readers discover that Mori is extremely intimidating already, as seen in the Psychotic Smirk entry.
- Not a Date: In Chapter 30, Mikuru tried to deny to Haruhi that her going to see a movie with Kyon and Yuki was a date, despite the fact that she asked Haruhi for permission about this appointment as a date. Implicitly subverted, as Haruhi and the rest of the girls explained her the plan to share Kyon, making the attempt to hide that it was a date a moot point.
- Not So Different: Kyon invokes this trope by name to Wataru, as they both want to protect their own sisters.
- Not So Stoic:
- In Chapter 30, Kuyou wants to help Kyon, and he sees the satisfaction in her eyes when he takes the weapon. She also wishes him good luck.
- Yuki after the events of Chapter 39. It's the first time that she's visibly scared, trembling and asking Kyon to hold her.
- The above pales in comparison with her reaction to what happened next. Due to a misconstruction, Kyon thought Yuki wanted to break up with him. At his pained acquiescence (he honestly thought he didn't deserve any better) Yuki realized her mistake and tried to clarify the misunderstanding, becoming more and more distraught over her self-perceived inability to express herself and clear things up. Her reaction was very reminiscent of a particularly tear-jerking scene from The Movie where Kyon returns the Literature Club application to disappearance!Nagato.Yuki: "Don't ... let me go..."
- The above pales in comparison with her reaction to what happened next. Due to a misconstruction, Kyon thought Yuki wanted to break up with him. At his pained acquiescence (he honestly thought he didn't deserve any better) Yuki realized her mistake and tried to clarify the misunderstanding, becoming more and more distraught over her self-perceived inability to express herself and clear things up. Her reaction was very reminiscent of a particularly tear-jerking scene from The Movie where Kyon returns the Literature Club application to disappearance!Nagato.
- Not What It Looks Like: Kyon's reaction after being photographed with Kanae sleeping against him and his arm around her (an absent movement, he does the same to his sister). Actually a subversion since who took the photo is just teasing him.
- Obfuscating Insanity: One batch of Yakuza decide that this is must be what Kyon is doing when he starts having a conversation with Shoulder Angels only he can see.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Kyon seems to pull off this trope from Miyuki's PoV. In Chapter 60 and just around twenty minutes after the latest report of Kyon's activities in Nishinomiya, Miyuki sees him in person in Okinomiya, well aware of the fact that no form of transportation should be able to make such a trip in said timespan. Explanation: The person sighted in Nishinomiya was in fact Kyon's future self.
- Oh, Crap: Kuyou's response when she accidentally creates an uncontrolled singularity in the middle of her Shadow Song.
- Oh Crap! There Are Doujin of Us...: The rest of the Brigade discover that some of Kanae's sketchbooks contain hentai doujin of them, such as Kyon × Koizumi, Haruhi × Kyon × Kanae, etc.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: Sasaki's response to Sumiyoshi-rengo's frequents attempts to kidnap her.
- Older Than They Look:
- Zigagged with. All participants of Yuki's training session have trained for about a year at least each night for weeks. However, Yuki deleted all their irrelevant memories except hers and reverted their aging process. So they don't remember anything except the results of training, even if they have lived all these years.
- Kyon time-travels so much, even he isn't sure how old he'd be at the end of everything.
- As a consequence of Kanae using Mental Interdimensional Travel, Haruhi believes she is quite a bit older than she thinks she is.
- Kanae in general; her given age is sixteen, but she looks about the same as twelve year old Miyoko.
- One Degree of Separation: Let's see:
- It's all but stated that Miyoko's older cousin that she had a crush on ran off with Kyon's older cousin that he had a crush on.
- Haruhi's father is Kyon's father's direct superior.
- Tsuruya's bodyguard is the son of Shion's bodyguard.
- Itsuki turns out to be a huge fan of Kyon's aunt Rena's books.
- Ryuguu Ryo, the boy that Kyon fights, turns out to be the son of the child produced by Rena's mother's cheating.
- Miyuki, the head of the investigation surrounding Kyon, is Akasaka's daughter.
- Haruhi and Sasaki went to the same Elementary School, although they never talked to each other.
- One of members of the Fujiya-tachi, Maruyama Iyouji, ended working in Yamatsuchi Keiji's model store, which was one of the two sponsors of the amateur movie filmed by SOS Brigade.
- Chapter 60 reveals that Akasaka Miyuki met Kyon when he was a kid. She even babysat him a few times and Mion joked that she changed his diapers at some point.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations:
- In Chapter 22, Kyon and his father have a chat. Kyon thinks his father found out about his criminal connections and activities. His father is actually talking about the arranged marriage both families have planned.
- Also, in Chapter 11, Kyon mentions that he went to Nagato's place to learn martial arts. Mori thinks they had sex. When Kyon mentions that he also slept in the same room as Tsuruya, Mori thinks that, they too, had sex. Kyon thus thinks that Mori is getting him armor because she starts moaning about it when he mentions he's going to meet with 20+ Yakuza in a Curb-Stomp Battle. Mori instead gets him other forms of protection. Individually packaged, foil-wrapped 'protection'.
- Kyon in Chapter 13: "Anyway, you were reminding me that I don't have a future?"
- Koizumi in Chapter 26: "I believe my point has been significantly punctuated."
- One of Us: Well, duh?
- One Side of the Story: The reason why Yamane hates Kyon's guts. From Yamane's PoV, the events surrounding Asakura's murder attempt against Kyon looked a lot like a Love Confession going wrong(to be precise) .
- One Steve Limit: Averted due to the crossover. There are two characters named Keiichi: Kyon's uncle, and one of the Tamaru brothers.
- While Tsuruya is given a first name in this story, she's still nearly always referred to as "Tsuruya" by her friends, and her father is introduced in this story and also referred to by his last name, despite his first name being given. This leads to two characters both referred to as "Tsuruya," and if this story didn't use Japanese Honorifics any scene involving both of them at once would be extremely confusing.
- Kyon's mother also shares her name with Shion and Mion's mother. This led to problems for her growing up.
- Opera Gloves: Yuki's new costume has elbow-high gloves that act as an arm-version of Zettai Ryouiki.
- Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?: Parodied. After Kyon received his new PDA and deadpanned about it being like Skynet, while the phone is still on his hand:Tsuruya: Is that the end of the world in your pockets, or are you just happy to see us?
- Our Hero Is Dead: Chapter 19 ends with Kyon being shot.
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: The author helpfully mentions in Chapter 31 that his Laser Blade is legally distinct from a lightsaber.
- Outside Ride: Kyon hopped to the top of car while stealthed in Chapter 45, keeping himself in place thanks to his gravity manipulators.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Kyon calls Tsuruya and claims he's his uncle Kintaro. Justified because he was asleep with her at the moment, though she remarks they have the same voice.
- Parents as People: Kyon's parents. Also Sasaki's mother.
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: Defied. Yuki installed a program in Kyon's bedroom that prevents this trope from happening by teleporting his guests out of there if someone is about to discover them. On the flip side, this preventive measure sometimes causes Inconvenient un-Summons.
- Pass the Popcorn: In Chapter 60, Yuki and Kuyou chose to sit back and enjoy their tea & cookies while quietly and attentively observed how their friends convinced Kyon and Sasaki to hook up.
- Perception Filter: Yuki learns how to generate an "occlusion field" from her observations of Kuyou's powers. She uses it in Chapter 51 to make Kyon and herself "difficult to focus on or remember to most bystanders". If Kuyou boosts her efforts, this cousin of the "S.E.P. field" is powerful enough for her to make out with Kyon in the middle of the street with no one but them (and potentially other Interfaces) noticing a thing.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Initially resisted due to risk of apocalypse, but all involved parties come around to the idea quite quickly.
- Phantom Zone: Kuyou utilizes her "Shadow Song" as sandbox of sorts, where she can allow herself to use her powers to a greater extent without destroying the Earth by mistake and more importantly to act as a buffer space where the Combine forces and other extra-dimensional harmful influences can be deal with before they can affect the real universe.
- It's also useful for practicing baking cookies. On a stellar scale.
- Phlebotinum Analogy: Achakura explains that having a costume that protects you and operates on principles most people won't understand, and wielding equipment that few on Earth have ever seen, let alone held is, in fact, much like turning into a Magical Girl.
- Phoney Call: Cleverly invoked in Chapter 15. When Rika wants to speak with Hanyuu in the presence of people who can't see or hear her, she wears an ear-piece and simply talks with her, deliberately giving the impression that she's just having a conversation by phone.
- Pimped-Out Dress: After Haruhi declares they can take turns at mascot duty, Tsuruya ends up wearing one of these, as does Yuki.
- Tsuruya also has a collection of formal kimonos with elaborate designs and enough layers and accessories to require at least one other person's help to put them on.
- Pinky Swear: Kyon's sister promises her brother not to tell Haruhi Tsuruya kissed Kyon. While Kyon's sister didn't tell Haruhi, she acknowledged it's her fault Haruhi learned that because she slipped when talking with a cousin.
- Yuki initiates one after Tsuruya asks her to promise to tell her if she ever needs anything in return for helping her confront the boss of the Sumiyoshi-rengo group responsible for all the kidnapping attempts and attacks against Kyon.
- The Plan: Kyon suspects Ryouko had one, after he finds out that Yamane was being controlled by Ryouko via her bloomers. Yuki thinks that Yamane was just stupid enough to accidentally corrupt the data inside, accidentally letting Ryouko control him.
- Pocket Dimension: The daily training sessions take place in one.
- Polyamory: Keiichi and Kyon's aunts. They even have the schedule in the closet. Haruhi is actively angling toward this exact setup with the other female members of the SOS-Dan.
- Poor Communication Gets You Engaged: When Kyon's dad asks him about joining Tsuruya's family, Kyon mistakenly thinks he means the Tsuruya crime family. Had Kyon and Yuuto not been talking cross purposes, there is a chance that the engagement could have been stopped. Luckily it all worked out in the end anyway.
- Porn Stash: Kyon deleted the one on the SOS Brigade computer. He now has a small one in his phone, courtesy of Mikuru and Tsuruya.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia:
- Power Incontinence: In order to keep Haruhi's power from affecting the world randomly, Yuki has to work full-time as control mechanism for them; however, closed space still occurs and Yuki has to clear junk data periodically. After the Memory Gambit closed space stops happening but Yuki still has to control Haruhi's power full-time.
- Later chapters reveal that Haruhi has been steadily producing less and less junk data, probably as a result of her growing emotional stability, to the point that Yuki asked her to come with them to a training session so the Time Dilation would help to accelerate the relative production rate of the data that Yuki uses to maintain her Pocket Dimension.
- Power of Friendship: A recurrent element through the story, especially after Kyon is shot.
- Power of Trust:
- Power Perversion Potential: A very mild example: It's been pretty much confirmed in story that during Yuki's training sessions, she used some of that time to make-out with Kyon.Kyon: Um ... what ... do you get out of this, exactly? I know to us, we each go ... somewhere else to practice. What about you?
*Yuki says nothing and blushes*
Kyon: *realization hits* A...actually, forget about that for now.
- In Chapter 28, with over a month of training sessions:Haruhi: *pointing to Yuki* Kyon got so good at kissing because of you!
Yuki: That is probable. However, I have no comparable metric for comparison. But I do find the sensation ... very enjoyable.
- In Chapter 28, with over a month of training sessions:
- Power-Up Food: In Chapter 59, it's revealed that Hanyuu can still materialize herself as she did in the last arc of Higurashi, but she normally lacks the energy to do it. Noticing this, Kuyou decided to provide Hanyuu with additional "spin" for her to "shape" by imbuing it in the cookies Kuyou gave to Hanyuu.
- Power-Up Magnet: A rare non video game example. In Chapter 61, Kuyou in her chibi-mode flew around Kyon and collected what amounts to the power cores of defeated Striders. This is a double-aimed tactic: it precludes their enemies from reusing that energy and the resources so obtained can potentially be repurposed.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Subverted in Chapter 38. Just after Kyon delivers the line to three yakuza, he gets teleported out of there.Kyon: "I'll respect that you're cutting to the chase; let me return the favor in kind!"
- Psychic Block Defense: Haruhi, Yuki, Mikuru and Kyon blocks their mind from Koizumi.
- Haruhi's block feels like a strong wind that prevents him from approaching.
- Yuki's block feels like a wall, though he still can detect her presence.
- Mikuru's block is more solid, and haphazard than Yuki's and more than enough.
- Kyon's block prevents Koizumi from even detecting his presence. Not even Haruhi running her powers in safe mode can bypass it.
- Psychotic Smirk: All the Yakuza can do it, mainly because it implies that they can give you hell. Mori's smirk, on the other hand, can cause fear-induced paralysis, as seen in Chapter 22, and she isn't even a Yakuza.
- Punch Catch: Averted and discussed. The first time Haruhi watched Kyon fighting she wondered why he yanked his opponent's fist to the side instead of stopping it entirely. A second later she realized Kyon took advantage of the mook's strength to slam his solar plexus and shoulder-throw him against the concrete ground in a single movement.
- Quizzical Tilt:
- Ragnarok-Proofing: The dimensional anchor worked perfectly fine in spite of being millions of years old.
- Rank Inflation: Tsuruya gave an S rank to Kyon's speech when she asked him if she should learn about the supernatural in the SOS Brigade.
- Recurring Extra: There's an unnamed underclassman of Kyon who usually runs into him at inopportune moments, like interrogating a member of an illegal photography ring and talking how breaking a Yakuza thug's hand was the most impressive display of a fight.
- Red Pill, Blue Pill: Kyon gives Tsuruya the option to either learn the truth behind the SOS brigade and the supernatural, or remain 'just a side character.'
- Reference Overdosed: Mainly to trope names.
- An avid Higurashi: When They Cry fan would also catch the multiple subtle references to Higurashi, even in chapters that have nothing to do with Hinamizawa.
- Refuge in Audacity: And its buddy, Rule of Cool, are the two primary forces responsible for keeping Kyon from becoming a Marty Stu.
- Retcon: There have been a few, mostly involving the author changing the names of certain characters. The original first name he gave Tsuruya was Kaede, but changed it to Haruka because he liked its meaning better. He was also originally mistaken about the name of Akasaka's daughter, and fixed the mistake (Momoko to Miyuki) once he was informed. Also, back when he thought that "Sasaki" was the character's given name, the surname he chose for her was Matsumoto. He changed that to a Repetitive Name in order to Take a Third Option.
- Ret Gone: Narrowly avoided for Kyon, involving Closed Space, Time Travel and Kanae's sliding.
- Retroactive Preparation: Kyon uses and abuses this trope.
- Need a dimensional anchor quickly and you just realized your friend who doesn't know of the supernatural may have it? Go to a day before and ask her to deliver it a few seconds after you realize that.
- He also time travels several days back to prepare countermeasures when Sasaki is kidnapped.
- The Reveal: Kuyou explaining how Sasaki's powers are expressed, that being a Power Nullifier of everything she doesn't believe possible on anything she can observe.
- Revenge by Proxy:
- The voyeur ring was originally a plan set by Yamane to get embarrassing pictures of Haruhi and through her enact revenge on Kyon for what Yamane thinks he did to Asakura.
- Some men from a foreign country killed Tsuruya's mother to get revenge on her sister, Shinobu.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Several cases, typically due to people on either sides of the Masquerade trying to predict the actions/reasons of others in what's on the way to becoming a Thirty Xanatos Pileup .
- Romance-Inducing Smudge: In Chapter 62, Kanae plucks up a grain of rice from Haruhi's cheek, winks to her and then carefully licks it from her fingertips. A blushing Haruhi is left speechless for moment and first thing she does after finding her voice again is actually to congratulate her for getting the flirting upper hand.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Haruhi and Kanae, or so they want everyone in Kitago to think.
- Roof Hopping: In Chapter 26, after getting a powerup which allowed him to control gravity, Kyon started jumping from roof to roof for the fun of it, discovering in the process that it was a fast, inconspicuous and energy-efficient way of movement.
- Running Gag:
- "I am keeping this picture."
- Also the content from the letters from the future.Haruhi: Can I go (time travelling) with you?
Kyon: (reading his first letter) "No, she can't."
- Also Kyon's dual habits of saying his future self is annoying and then mocking his past self's incompetence, in addition to saying 'hi' to himself.
- Kyon thinks that he has a very special hell waiting just for him.
- Every time an adult has an important conversation with Kyon, he initially thinks they're accusing him of being a Lolicon.
- As a slight variation on the gag, Kyon's uncle asked about his relationship with his female friends in one such conversation, and Kyon interpreted it as asking if he was gay.Kyon: Don't get the wrong idea. I like girls just fine. That is not the problem.
- As a slight variation on the gag, Kyon's uncle asked about his relationship with his female friends in one such conversation, and Kyon interpreted it as asking if he was gay.
- Kyon keeps telling himself that Shinobu, the Tsuruya family maid, is a ninja.
- Cookies being Suou Kuyou's Trademark Favorite Food.
- Sacred First Kiss: In Chapter 30, Kanae asks Kyon to be her First Kiss. Interestingly enough, it's him who makes a bigger deal of it by pointing out that "[he's] not sure [he's] the kind of guy [she wants] to waste something that precious on".
- Said Bookism: The characters allow and offer a whole lot more than they say.
- Sarashi: Mentioned by name as part of Sasaki's cosplay during the Flash Mob.
- Sarcastic Confession:
- At the end of Chapter 9, Kyon joins the Yamaguchi-gumi as an honorary member. When his mother asks if he's through being a delinquent (which wasn't his fault in the first place), he answers that he's moved on to joining the Yakuza. His mother doesn't believe him. Obviously.
- Also, Kyon mentions casually to Sasaki that he has to meet several past instances of people, fight 12 thugs at once, arrange to deliver an alien artifact and study for a math test. It scares the crap out of adult Mikuru, but Sasaki doesn't take it seriously.
- Inverted in Chapter 30, Sasaki tells Haruhi about the Anti-SOS Brigade's identities. Sasaki thinks that they're delusional or pulling her leg, but Haruhi is now aware of enemy espers, time travelers, and aliens, since immediately after hearing this she wants to speak with Koizumi.
- Scare 'Em Straight: Tanaka Taro in chapter 54 begins his short time in the story reflecting to himself that he is going to become an important and powerful person by taking out Kyon. After the attempt, he reflects that after he recovers, he will still become an important and powerful person by working at the docks, getting the Japanese equivalent of a GED, and working his way up to management.
- Scenery Censor: During Kyon's first Furo Scene at his uncle's house, Hanyuu notes that hers and Yuki's linked hands (long story, It Makes Sense in Context) would prevent anyone standing at the doorway from seeing his "most interesting areas".
- School Uniforms Are the New Black:
- Kyon keeps falling into this and just when it looked like he'd got something to replace his uniform, he ended up wearing the uniform as well as his default.
- Nagato seems to have gotten out of this. Well, if she wears any of the clothes she and Mikuru bought.
- The Scottish Trope: In Chapter 44, during the POV of one of the Sumiyoshi-rengo, at one point he refers to Kyon as 'the boy who he absolutely had not heard the name of.' This was immediately after Yuki said something that 'not a single man would acknowledge what they had heard.'
- The Scream/Screaming at Squick: Haruhi when Tsuruya shows her the pictures of her investigation. Later Yanagimoto Ai when she's shown the same pictures.
- Screw Yourself: Implied that Kyon dreamt of a situation involving Mikuru and this trope. He cuts himself off though...
- Secret Keeper:
- Rika managed to be one for Kyon's supernatural adventures by revealing her own story first.
- Miyoko (who went by Miyokichi in the novels) after she gets to know about Kyon and time travelling.
- Kyon's sister is aiming to gain enough trust from her brother to become one.
- In Chapter 51, Sakanaka and Yanagimoto aren't convinced that Haruhi and Kanae are really in a Romantic Two-Girl Friendship and try to get Haruhi to explain what's really going on. Haruhi eventually reveals to them the plan for a Marry Them All arrangement between Kyon the rest of the girls in the Brigade. Both girls promise to keep it secret.
- Security Cling:
- Haruhi tries to invoke this trope in Chapter 19 by having Kyon take Mikuru to see a gory movie. Mikuru ends up in Kyon's lap, with Haruhi clinging to one arm and Miyoko clinging to the other.
- In Chapter 35, Kyon's sister is invited to a special showing of the movie "Trope-tan Begins", but she gets scared of the crowd of reporters covering the event and their flashing cameras and runs up to grab his brother's hand.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kyon and Kanae. And as of Chapter 32, Suzumiya-sempai as well.
- Sex by Proxy: A mild version, more like "Kiss by Proxy", but the same principles apply:
- In Chapter 29, Koizumi was uncomfortably aware of Haruhi's emotional state while she and Kyon were kissing. A few chapters later, after Koizumi informed Haruhi of this, the very first thing she did was to sever her Psychic Link to him and the rest of the Organization's ESPers."Um, yeah, well.... I'd really like to make it so that you would stop being stuck reading me! As brigade chief, I think I deserve mental privacy!"
- Kuyou and Achakura frequently share data and insights in their attempts to bridge the communication gap between their vastly different forms of sentience. Cue Chapter 57, where Kuyou apparently didn't see nothing wrong with leaving an open channel for Achakura to "access" what she was feeling while she and Kyon kissed. It's currently unknown (as of Chapter 57) what Achakura thought of the experience.
- In Chapter 60, it was Kyouko's turn to perceive the sensations and emotional responses from Sasaki when she and Kyon were kissing. With two interesting twists: 1) Koizumi was with Kyouko at that moment and he was able to accurately recognize what was going on thanks to psychic powers and his previous experience on the matter, resolving to talk to Kyon "most sternly" about it and 2) Thanks to the fact that the episode took place shortly after her Relationship Upgrade with Koizumi, Kyouko resorted to a simply and effective approach to deal with the situation: glomp her boyfriend and kiss him passionately enough to be unable to tell between her own feelings and Sasaki's.
- There is the implication that this trope was played straight in Rika and Hanyuu's case, as it follows from the Fridge Logic of what would happen with their shared senses after Rika grows up.
- In Chapter 29, Koizumi was uncomfortably aware of Haruhi's emotional state while she and Kyon were kissing. A few chapters later, after Koizumi informed Haruhi of this, the very first thing she did was to sever her Psychic Link to him and the rest of the Organization's ESPers.
- Shipper on Deck:
- Most of the girls in the Big Damn Harem ship each other with Kyon, but Haruhi makes a conscious effort to do this.
- Shinobu ships Kyon/Tsuruya and makes a point to remind him to spend time with her and keep things with the other girls as discreet as possible. Shinobu even scored an Offscreen Moment of Awesome by convincing Tsuruya's father, a major yakuza boss, to turn a blind eye to the whole situation after he was informed about it.
- Kyon's mother also ships Kyon/Tsuruya, to the point of arranging an Omiai (Japanese formal marriage interview) for them with Tsuruya's father's help.
- Sasaki's mother unsubtly encourages her daughter to date Kyon. Actually a Deconstruction: The former had to raise Sasaki alone because Sasaki's father abandoned them and she doesn't want the same fate for her daughter. For this very same reason, she approves Kyon because she mistook him for a spineless guy whom Sasaki would be able to keep under her thumb and at her side if they ever hooked up.
- Ship Sinking: Subverted in Chapter 39. Yuki comments "It is not ... mutual" when Kyon stayed to comfort her (Yuki had to save Kyon from something that makes her afraid). After Kyon's answer - he believed she was talking about their relationship and even had to give himself a Better as Friends inner monologue - Yuki explains that what she really wanted to say is that her own actions aren't on par of what she expected Kyon to do.
- Ship Tease: Kyon is teased with most single female characters. Especially Kanae, who has dated Kyon before in an Alternate Universe.
- Shout-Out: There's a ton. So many so that we've set up a page for them.
- Show Within a Show: There is a Trope-tan anime and movie.Trope-tan: Chekhov ... BEEEEEEAM!
- Also "Brave Detective Sasha" novel series, written by Rena.
- Shutting Up Now:
- In Chapter 36, after Kyon notes Haruhi's too calm reaction to her learning Kanae involuntarily teleported herself to Kyon's bed during the night.Kyon: Part of me wants to say that your reaction to this is incredibly unreasonable. Rather, only you would look at something so incredibly unreasonable, and choose to be so reasonable about it.
Haruhi: (gives a pointed look to the other person in the conversation) I'm the only one who's reasonable? What about your fiancée?
Kyon: I am going to forgo speaking privileges for the rest of the day.
- In Chapter 51, after Yanagimoto utters an oddly worded sentence."Yeah, but I can't let Tani-baka know about this — ever," Yanagimoto said, shaking her head. "The second he heard about it, his head would explode!" She blinked, thinking about what she just said as her face reddened. "And I'm going to shut up now," she muttered, reaching for her slightly melted sundae.
- In Chapter 36, after Kyon notes Haruhi's too calm reaction to her learning Kanae involuntarily teleported herself to Kyon's bed during the night.
- "Silly Me" Gesture:
- Tsuruya in Chapter 14 when she had to explain about "kinship rituals" to Haruhi.
- Adult!Mikuru in Chapter 24 when she told Kyon she lost certain photo of hers.
- Slow Path: Kyon is sent about half a day back in time so he could help Tsuruya (and then staying at her house) while being grounded without trouble. Future Kyon had to stay the night at home.
- Small Blackout: To Hinamizawa. Apparently happens a lot.
- So Good We Mentioned It Twice: Taniguchi's opinion about Kyon's rise to popularity/notoriety in Chapter 13:Taniguchi (to Kyon): "I mean, the ladies love you, you've rounded up all the best looking ones into your club, your grades are coming up, the ladies love you, word on the street is that you've been regularly fighting crime in dark alleys or something, super-hero style, the ladies love you, you're a badass martial artist now, the ladies love you, you were a super-athlete in physical education today, the ladies love you.... Just that last point alone should satisfy any normal, healthy male, right?"
- Sound Effect Bleep: In the form of a car horn when Fujiwara calls Tachibana a bitch.
- Square/Cube Law: The robot Kyon fought violates that law with its spindly legs.
- Squick: In-universe example: this is Kyon's reaction to Yuki taking the remnants of Ryoko's data for future use. From Ryoko's old bloomers.
- Stable Time Loop: There's one every few chapters.
- Also, due to the nature of time loops and causality, Kyon knows the only thing preventing the IDSE from getting revenge on him for making Yuki disconnect is the fact that he's involved in several loops, and killing him might cause tons of trouble to time."I'm putting that off for now," he said with another shrug. "I need to keep a time loop open to occupy the IDSE anyway."
- Also, due to the nature of time loops and causality, Kyon knows the only thing preventing the IDSE from getting revenge on him for making Yuki disconnect is the fact that he's involved in several loops, and killing him might cause tons of trouble to time.
- Stealth Pun:
- Super Cell Reception: Kyon's phone can send and receive some calls even when he's not technically on Earth. Justified: Yuki prepared two sets of paired particles in both of their phones so they could keep in contact regardless of the distance or the availability of human networks. Averted with regular phone calls, which caused some troubles in Chapter 55 when both of them were in Kuyou's Shadow Song and couldn't be informed about Haruhi and Sasaki's kidnapping for most of the girls' ordeal.
- Super Window Jump: Kyon does this in the Initial Conflict arc whilst holding a spy.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: When Kyon accidentally leaves his coat and equipment behind in his sister's room, Achakura tries to get Nonoko to bring it to him as expediently as possible. During the course of Achakura's explanation, she resorts to this trope to avoid wasting time with additional explanations.Nonoko: And it's going to turn me into a magical girl?
Achakura: For values of 'turning you into a magical girl' equal to 'you having a costume that protects you and operates on principles most people won't understand, and wielding equipment that few on Earth have ever seen, let alone held,' yes, this will turn you into a magical girl!
- Surprise Party: Chapter 60 ends with almost all the girls in the SOS Brigade welcoming Kyon to his birthday party at Mion's house.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
Haruhi: Close your eyes!
- Hanyuu watched Kyon while he was bathing because he disappeared the night before. She had no ulterior motive to keep an eye on him, or admire his surprisingly toned physique as he patiently watched over one of his younger cousins. She was just ensuring he was okay, unhurt after the mysterious events, and that was the only reason she was staring at him so closely!
- Kanae swore that her sliding into Kyon's bed and sleeping with him was a complete accident. Haruhi lampshades her constant Innocent Innuendo around Kyon.Kanae: I didn't mean to fall into Sempai's bed! We weren't sleeping together on purpose - it was an accident!
- Chapter 55, during the escape from their yakuza captors:
*Haruhi tears open a chain-link fence in their way with telekinesis*
Sasaki: *opens eyes* What— What just happened?
Haruhi: Something completely plausible.
- Sweat Drop: Mikuru after telling Haruhi about when Kyon accompanied her buying cloth and a sewing machine.
- Switching P.O.V.: Changes in character focus are signaled by a break.
- Take a Third Option:
- Haruhi can't unbottle her feelings about the consequences of her powers because it will cause even more strain to others, and she can't ignore it either because she cares about the SOS Brigade. In order to prevent an Heroic BSOD she runs a Memory Gambit on herself so she doesn't destroy the world on an accidental whim.
- What do you do if you are part of an Unwanted Harem but don't want anybody to lose? Marry Them All!
- Word of God said that the story follows a Higurashi plot called "Mitsuhoshi-hen", which literally translates as "third-way chapter," in reference to the fact that the version of Higurashi considered "canon" for this story, rather than following one of the two "official" endingsnote , is a combination of Matsuribayashi-hen and various elements from the other Higurashi arcs.
- Talking in Your Sleep: In Chapter 3, Yuki teleports Kanae, Mikuru and Kyon into her home. Kanae was asleep throughout the teleportation and starts talking in her sleep."Mmm, Sempai," Kanae murmured in her sleep with a quiet giggle.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Future Kyon likes to do this with his instructions to Past Kyon, probably since it helps avoid spoilers.Haruhi: Can I go [back in time] with you?
Kyon (reading note): "No, she can't."
- Teleport Interdiction: In Chapter 63, the SOS Brigade figures out how the Combine tracks down Kanae across dimensions but they also discover that they can't suppress or alter the "signal" without hurting her. In the end, they manage to set up an "Echo" on Kyon so the Combine will be forced to target his location instead of Kanae's.
- Tempting Fate:
- Sure, Kyon, name the piece of sophisticated technology capable of self-advancement and created from the data remains of Ax-Crazy Asakura Ryouko Skynet. What could possibly go wrong?note
- In the beginning of Chapter 31, Koizumi muses that he is the most normal among the extended SOS Brigade. He soon realizes he can use his powers outside closed space.
- That Came Out Wrong:
- When Tsuruya and Kyon are disguising themselves as students of another school:Tsuruya: Now, Kyon-kun, can you get on your knees?
Kyon: *shrugs* Somehow, I really expected to hear that from Haruhi, first.
Tsuruya: *chuckles* I have to do your hair.
- Haruhi's Innocent Innuendo in Chapter 63.
- When Tsuruya and Kyon are disguising themselves as students of another school:
- They Fight Crime: She's a wealthy heiress. He's a role model for a so-called goddess.
- The Thing That Goes Doink: There's one at the restaurant where Tsuruya and her father invite Kyon's family for a formal dinner in Chapter 28.
- Those Two Girls: Sakanaka and Yanagimoto to Haruhi.
- A Threesome Is Hot/One True Threesome: One of Kanae's hentai doujinshi features herself, Haruhi, and Kyon.
- Kyon gets a real one with Haruhi and Tsuruya in Chapter 54; even if it's only making out.
- Implied to have happened between Keiichi, Rena, and Mion after tying in one of their card games.
- Throwing Down the Gauntlet: Wataru gives one to Kyon by causing what seemed like a small earthquake and shouting "Kyon! Face me!" that probably everyone in Kitago could hear.
- Time Bomb: The IDSE gives Yuki advance warning of her impending deletion in Chapter 1, and she periodically gives countdown times in the conversation with the Brigade.
- Time Master: In his duel with Koizumi, Fujiwara seems to speed himself up.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Kyon describes his view of time this way, using the exact same words as the Doctor.Kyon: I mean, for the most part, it's just kind of a...I don't know...a great ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff.
- Tired of Running: One Fictional Document refers to what to do in this case.
- Too Dumb to Live: Haruhi thinks that of Taniguchi. He doesn't realize that using his scale in front of Haruhi to rate Kanae an A- would arouse her curiosity. And that Kyon would most probably explain it cynically. And that Haruhi might be offended to find out Taniguchi's view of girls.Kyon: Taniguchi's a living perv-wiki. He's rated all the girls on a grading scale and only learns the names of those who get an 'A' or better.
Haruhi: [turning to Taniguchi] Oh? I wonder what I ranked on that scale. Too bad you didn't even make fifteen minutes on mine.
- Too Much Information: By Kyon's request, Koizumi explained that he gained his ESP powers when both he and Haruhi were undergoing puberty. At the beginning, he found it extremely difficult separating their feelings at first, which led to highly awkward situations. Kyon realizes his mistake and declares that he never wants to clarify that.
- Trespassing to Talk: A variation. Thanks to his Invisibility Cloak, Kyon in two opportunities sneaked into a police station to talk to people locked up in the cells. The first time, he accompanied Yuki who needed to be in close proximity to Yamane to purge the corrupt data that was affecting his mind. The second time, Kyon broke into the detention block alone to speak with the leader of the Fujiya-tachi and negotiate their possible admission into the Yamaguchi-gumi.
- Tricked Out Time: After Fujiwara declares that he is effectively immortal until he travels back in time to the beach in Calm Before The Storm, Kyon takes out his PDA, scans him, and notes that he now has a perfect image: since Kyon wouldn't know the difference back then, he just made "killing Fujiwara" a viable option again. Mikuru thus wonders whether she could alter time by changing events as predetermination is set by observations and records.
- Trigger Phrase: Kyon is given one if he needs to revert the Memory Gambit.
- Troperiffic: Need it be repeated what it has crossed over with?
- The Trope without a Title:
- Haruhi's favorite website is never mentioned by name. However, as it's mentioned it's a wiki, it inspired the Trope-tan anime, and has an entry for Head Pet, the name of this website isn't exactly a mystery for the reader.
- There's also a computer videogame series Haruhi likes, which apparently has Loads and Loads of Characters and earned Kyon's complains on having too many bullets. The name of the videogame series nor any characters are mentioned.
- True Companions: Of course, the SOS Brigade are these. Everybody, including Tsuruya and Kanae was relieved when Kyon woke up from his gunshot-caused unconsciousness. Kyon even points this out.
- Trust Password: The story starts by Kyon using his Trust Password so Haruhi can believe him and help Yuki.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life:
- Kyon's optimism and interest in the supernatural was destroyed by Sasaki's incessant deconstructionism; likewise, Sasaki's automatic Deconstruction of the Power of Love appears to have been what ruined her relationship (and chances of romance with) Kyon.
- It also occasionally causes Haruhi difficulty when it comes to explaining things.
- Achakura thinks it might eventually become sentient. She doesn't expect it to be very sympathetic to her, but until then, she finds it helpful for understanding human culture.
- Unbroken Vigil: After Kyon had a bullet surgically extracted, Haruhi, Yuki, Mikuru and Tsuruya stayed the night in the hospital keeping him company, even if Yuki had already healed him. As a bonus, both Haruhi and Yuki sleep in the bed with him.
- Undead Tax Exemption: The slider always had a complete identity in every world she visited, including school records, friends and family. Later it's deconstructed when it's revealed that she slides mentally, replacing or overwriting the local Kanae with her thus never needing to have an identity— she uses the local Kanae's. She doesn't realize it.
- Un Paused: A rare mundane example. When Mikuru begins to stitch Kyon's wound in Chapter 45, she forgets everything else. When she's done she completes her sentence.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: It's revealed Kyon had a crush on Sasaki in their backstory (not that any of them realized that at the time). Now Sasaki has realized her own crush on Kyon (he has already gotten over his), who is set to be wed to Tsuruya and to be part of a Marry Them All scenario.
- Unstoppable Rage: Haruhi especially, coming dangerously close to killing people when Kyon is in danger. Kyon is prone to this as well when anybody from the SOS Brigade is threatened.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Kyon's response to Haruhi remaking the world again.Kyon: (yawning) This again?
- Unwanted Harem: Deconstructed and reconstructed in the Higurashi cast backstory.
- Unwitting Muggle Friend: Subverted with Yanagimoto and Sakanaka. Even though Haruhi went out of her way to keep them Locked Out of the Loop about the supernatural without outright cutting ties with them, they figured out that the SOS Brigade was involved in something dangerous and secret. However, they also realized that Haruhi's actions implied that she most likely wanted them as a real link to the more mundane facets of her life, so they decided to become her Secret Secret Keepers (in a willfully unaware manner) and help her wherever else they could.
- Verbal Backspace: After Kyon receives a greatcoat as gift from Mikuru in Chapter 21:Kyon: I won't be able to get much use out of this until next winter, but I know once I do, I will greatly appreciate this! Asahina-san, I don't know what I've done to deserve such a fine present, but I am very grateful.
Tsuruya: I've seen that coats before. You had it on when you beat up those Sumiyoshi-rengo fellows who hurt Kasai!
Koizumi: Y...yes. I've seen that once before, as well, that day you left even Mori-san impressed.
Kyon: Or, you know, maybe even sooner than that.
- Verbal Tic: In addition to Tsuruya, from the source material, her father also has it. Both of them lose it when they are stressed though.
- Matsuri also has the same recurring use of 'nii-pah' as her mother.
- Verb This!: Kuyou delivers one to slider!Kuyou.Kuyou: Synchronize with that! Activating 'chibi mode'!
- Villainous Rescue: Fujiwara and Kuyou come to save Kyon and Kanae from an enemy slider. Kuyou wipes two of the weapons and Fujiwara takes one of them back to (presumably) his original time. Kyon takes one for himself.
- V Sign: Haruhi and Sakanaka to each other in Chapter 6 after Kyon and Haruhi return from a Student Council session.
- Wake Up Fighting: In a low-key take on this trope, Kyon was able to block an elbow-to-midsection wake-up strike from his sister (in her defense, he had troubles to wake up by his own until that point) the morning after the first daily training session. This is one of the first signs (so to speak) of his development as a martial artist.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Played straighter than canon. Kyon even discoursed about it in Chapter 27.Still, in retrospect, having to worry about both school and the abnormal side of his life — the business of supernatural and secret organizations… The manga weren't entirely accurate when it came down to living the experiences. Strangely, it felt like less of a burden than most of his shounen heroes made it seem, and he felt he spent significantly more time actually doing school-related things than otherwise.
- Wave Motion Gun: Master Spark is a Combination Attack performed by Haruhi and Kuyou where the former creates a Pure Energy construct and feeds it with power while the latter contains and compresses it until it has gathered enough force to destroy an alien fortification which towered several kilometers high upon contact.
- We Have Forgotten the Phlebotinum: In Chapter 47, after Tsuruya and Haruhi's Bedmate Reveal, Kyon was so distracted taking care of his sick sister that he left his coat behind in her room, along with pretty much everything else in it.
- We Have to Get the Bullet Out: Played With in Chapter 20. After the public shooting during the previous chapter, an injured Kyon was taken to the same hospital from the Disappearance. However, as not every medic in there was under the Organization control, Koizumi asked Yuki to look for an alternative to an Unexplained Recovery. It's implied that Yuki used her powers to turn the injury into a ludicrously easy case to treat so the doctors would decide to take the bullet out on their own.
- Welcome to My World: On Chapter 10:Kyon: I assume that the Organization is reasonably aware of what we're doing?
Koizumi: I haven't a clue! I suppose you can fill me in on the way? I feel a bit clueless about this right now...
Kyon: Welcome to my world.
- Wham Chapter: Chapter 19.
- Wham Line:
- "But then, by that logic, if I had subordinates, they could help, too?"
- "Not half as monstrous as that thing you're trying to kiss."
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Mion in Chapter 17. It was a three-way between Keiichi, Mion, and Rena. Rena's blush at that statement indicates that she remembers, and the others' reactions indicate that they know what happened, anyway.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Early on Kanae mentions being stalked by three enemy sliders. An evil boy (Wataru), a girl with dark hair (alternate!Kuyou), and an evil duplicate of herself. While the first two appear over the course of the story her evil duplicate is never mentioned again.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kyon thinks this as he was climbing across the peaked roof of a two-story house in the dead of night with Yuki. It Makes Sense in Context.
- What Measure Is a Mook?: Averted with Kyon on Chapter 11, when he was worried about how bad he had harmed the Mooks he just fought.
- What Would X Do?: To force Nonoko to go home, Kyon asked her, "What would a defender of justice do?". It actually worked as she had to be sure her friend get home safely.
- Who Are You?: Right after Kyon arrives to rescue Tsuruya and her bodyguard from a dozen Yakuza:Yakuza Mook: You've bought yourself ten seconds, and a one-way ticket to a world of hurt, kid. Who the hell do you think you are?
Kyon: Today, I'm a defender of justice, and that girl's guardian. Cliché though it may sound ... from this point on if you want to get to her, or him, you go through me.
- The World Is Just Awesome: As technical and somewhat laconic as her narration may be, the Freefall Romance scene between Yuki and Kyon in Chapter 39 carries this vibe:Just then they burst through the wet fog, falling with the expanses of rain around them. Parallel to the bottom of the cloud they had passed through, the sun was visible once more. She'd already been aware of the conditions, but pressed against Kyon — who had needed her help with something again, finally — she thought the light changed in fascinating ways as she watched.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: In Chapter 25:Mikuru(big): So ... in a roundabout way, you and I, together, even though I still stumble a little bit, are forging towards a brighter future. One that isn't predetermined to you, that doesn't damage the future I come from. If you understand what I said earlier ... you have the power to change me. Not my past self, so directly ... but your influence ends up helping me become the person I am. I could tell you everything; try to make it predetermined... I could say things were better or worse then they truly will be, and try to trick you into changing things for me. Once, I did - sort of - tell you about the goals of the people I work for. Instead, though, this time I'll do what Yuki-chan did. I'll tell you nothing, even if you would believe me. But I'm not trying to keep you in the dark because I want to manipulate you ... I'm telling you as little as possible because I believe in you. I have absolute confidence that if I don't limit you, you will achieve something wonderful. And maybe, just in small, selfish bits ... I might lead you towards something that I think we both would like...
- Yakuza: Tsuruya, later Kyon, and later still the entire SOS Brigade.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Tsuruya's mother, in the backstory.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Part of Yuki's training sessions. She creates pocket dimensions and uses Kanae and the dimensional anchor to slide into them. That's where Kanae, Mikuru and Kyon practice sliding, sewing and cooking, and martial arts respectively. After a year, Mikuru uses her TPDD to send them back to the correct time and Yuki de-ages them, thus also invoking Took a Level in Badass at the same time.
- Years Too Early: In Chapter 4, after Kyon's sister awakens her brother by trying to tickle him, he says her she's a hundred years too young to try that on him.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: When Haruhi learns about her powers, she also learns the world is in constant threat of destruction because of closed space and how hard times has Kyon lived because of her. All of this makes her worry if she's forcing Kyon against her will if not outright breaking him, bordering a Heroic BSOD in Chapter 3. Kyon counters by mentioning her own growth and whatever trouble she's causing, it isn't intentional on her part.
- You Are Grounded: In Chapter 7, Kyon had to work around one of these to help Tsuruya with Watanabe. His future self had to stay at home to cover his past self's tracks.
- You Are Not Alone: Michikyuu Kanae concludes that staying in this world will put the SOS Brigade in risk. The rest of the brigade tell her that she can trust them with her troubles, the same way she has helped them before.
- You Can Say That Again: In Chapter 27.Kyon: Lost your excuse to sneak out and grab a smoke without mom noticing?
Kyon's father: What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
Kyon: You can say that again.
- You Can See Me?: Hanyuu and Yuki (by that time existing only in as data in order to watch over Kyon) are able to see and touch each other. The surprise is for the former.
- Kyon to Haruhi when he saves her from being run over by a minivan.
- You Did Everything You Could: Yuki blames herself for not foreseeing events that could injure Kyon. He reminds her that she trained him, gave him most of his weapons, and that he's still alive.
- You! Exclamation: Taniguchi to Kunikida in Chapter 57.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Said to Kyon in Chapter 26 the first time (chronologically speaking) he fights Yakuza.Mook: You don't know who you're messing with.
- Of course, since he is time travelling, Kyon already knows.
- You Just Told Me: Used by Haruhi against Kyon in the Chapter 38.
- And then Haruhi falls into one in the Chapter 50, even though she wasn't even the one being asked. Sure, Kunikida already knew, but nobody else in the room did.
- You're Nothing Without Your Phlebotinum: The enemy slider tends to taunt Kyon for being unable to do anything without "his dolls" (Haruhi, Yuki, etc). To be fair, he has already met some Alternate Universe incarnations of Kyon so he's probably talking from experience (and Kyon at the beginning of the fic isn't much of a fighter either; the fic hints the current combined skills of the SOS Brigade are an unique occurrence).
- You Talk Too Much: Haruhi's Alternate Selves according to Wataru.
- You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You: In Chapter 16, after being convinced to tell his stories about the supernatural.Kyon: (through Manly Tears) I...it's... It's nothing nearly that bad. I wouldn't... You may still think I'm crazy, and... Well, parts of this are secrets I don't really tell anyone else, but...