open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Haruhi Suzumiya:
- This is Kyon's sister's trademark gesture, as depicted in the trope image.
- The adult Mikuru Asahina makes the gesture (minus the tongue in the anime) in a bit of a Kawaiiko move. This is part of why some fans believe that Mikuru and Kyon's sister are the same person.
- Yui and Sawako-sensei combine this with Hand Behind Head in episode 5 of K-On!, in an apparent shout-out to a candy mascot.
- Retasu does this when explaining why she lets her friends boss her around in Tokyo Mew Mew.
- Harumi does this to herself in the Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei episode centering on Never Heard That One Before. She comments how it doesn't make sense that shonen manga isn't about boys, and then does this gesture, to indicate that this is something everyone has probably thought of a million times. However, she then gets blank looks from the rest of the class, and ends up Blue with Shock when she realizes no one else shares her tastes.
- Nena Trinity in Mobile Suit Gundam 00, after "pressing the wrong button" and blowing up a wedding.
- Eri Shinoda, vice-president of the Plamodel Club in Gundam Build Fighters Try, does this when she charges her Hobby Hizack into battle only to get shot down in seconds. Afterwards, Fumina wonders if she threw the match on purpose.
- In the Nue Arc of Mononoke, the Medicine Seller does a very subdued (but extraordinarily sarcastic) display of this when he "realizes" he "accidentally" used poisonous oleander in a concoction that he gave to someone.
- Mai does this in her introduction episode in Darker Than Black when explaining why she isn't isn't going to her friend's house.
- In a NEEDLESS side story, Mio knocks herself out with her own Super Strength by making this gesture.
- Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai.:
- Mina does this after saying, "I can be pretty clumsy. Tee, hee!" This is after she said she accidentally washed Ryosoke's cell phone and computer.
- Ryosuke himself does this, including the "tee, hee," line after he's caught cheating at strip poker.
- In the Little Busters! anime, Kud does this when Riki reminds her about Mio.
- Masuzu does this over the phone in episode 8 of Oreshura after realzing her plan of taking an embarrassing picture of Ai and Eita couldn't be done very well in a dark movie theater.
- Kanade does this in episode 7 of Mayo Chiki! towards Jiro after he wakes up at the hotel resort they're staying at. He at first is annoyed at having to be brought here, along with Kanade's cover up story that they're lovers and fled there since their parents refuse to recognize their relationship. In reality, they went there because Subaru, Kanade's butler, wanted to visit her mother's grave on the anniversary of her death, and wouldn't of been able to come if Kanade had to travel with her parents overseas.
- Maken-ki!: Done by Celia, in chapter 49, after she almost forgets to tell the others that her Inversion would wear off the islanders after 30 minutes.
- Nozaki does this in Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun when he deliberately makes too much lunch while trying to gain an understanding of Mamiko. Nozaki being Nozaki, he does it with a flat voice and no expression.
- Ayu from Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V does this when she forgets that she cannot attack in her first turn.
- In A Certain Scientific Railgun, Mugino scolds Frenda for leaving behind her bombs. Frenda apologizes and does the gesture, only for Mugino to kick her in the shin.
- In Potemayo's opening, Mikan bops herself on the head and sticks her tongue out after falling over.
- In No Game No Life, Feel does this after admitting that her country, which she dislikes for, among other reasons, its system of slavery, "can up and vanish" for all she cares.
- Tsuruya in Kyon: Big Damn Hero when she had to explain about "kinship rituals" to Haruhi.
- Selphie's introductory FMV in Final Fantasy VIII shows her trying to climb down a hill, followed by her tripping and almost falling down. Her reaction leaves out the head-hitting, but it leaves the tongue-stickout and wink intact.
- Kingdom Hearts: Sora and Ven do this a lot, but sheepishly laugh instead of sticking their tongue out and winking.
- Tsuruhime from Sengoku Basara does this in her standard stage ending video while giggling. It makes bubbles appear.
- Anji Mito of Guilty Gear does a variant with his fan at the end of his Destroyer.
- Colette Brunel of Tales of Symphonia and its sequel can be seen doing this (minus the head-hitting) in the anime-style cut-in that appears when she messes up the incantation for Holy Song. This results in her Holy Judgement Mystic Arte.
- Young Justice: Miss Martian's catch-phrase, "Hello Megan!", goes with the little forehead slap. No tongue or wink, but sometimes she rolls her eyes.