"Hyakunen hayai ze!"
A stock insult
used by the Japanese to show the confidence of a certain character in a one-on-one match, or just to say that a character is out of their league.
Most commonly used before a fight. A character will often say "You're 100 years too early to be facing me." Or any number of years they choose. 100 is most common. In works involving characters that live significantly longer than humans, 1000 or more years might be substituted. The English equivalent would be to call someone "too green" or, less literally, "out of their league."
Not to be confused with years Too Soon
to joke about a tragedy. Or The Jail Bait Wait
for characters younger than 17. You Are Not Ready
tends to be along the lines of advice than taunting.
Anime and Manga
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero, after Kyon's sister awakens her brother by trying to elbow him in the gut, Kyon tells her she's a hundred years too young to try that on him.
- Madara tells Naruto he is "literally a hundred years to early to fight me" in A Growing Affection.
- From Vikings:
Man: I don't want to kill you, woman.
Lagertha: You couldn't kill me if you tried for a hundred years.
- In the first season of Highlander, Duncan faces a much older immortal who initially holds a significant advantage over our hero. The other immortal, while evil, nonetheless respects Duncan as a Worthy Opponent and comments that with another century of practice, (and defeating other immortals) Duncan might become strong enough to beat him.
- In Tomica Hero Rescue Fire, after Tsubasa joined the team, it became a Running Gag for him to taunt either the Monster of the Week or the Mooks by dodging their attacks and saying they're ten years too early to try something like that.
- Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle: Denny O Neil says, concerning the "Agent Diana Prince" revamp of Wonder Woman:
I believed in racial equality, and I believed in pacifism, and along came feminism, and I thought "I ought to believe in this", but emotionally, I was still five years away from understanding and accepting feminism.
- In Super Mario RPG, when you're chasing down the crocodile thief, there's a point when you have to sneak up behind him. When you do, he says, "At this rate it will take 100 years for you to catch me" and runs away. The second time you catch him, he says it'll take fifty years. The third time, before he can come up with a proper number, Mallow interrupts and demands the stolen property, prompting the boss fight.
- In Pokemon Red And Blue/Yellow, there's a trainer in Brock's gym who tells you that you're "light-years away" from facing Brock (or something along those lines). After you defeat him (the gym trainer, that is, not Brock), he says this line:
- His annoyance at this unit confusion makes more sense in light of this trope.
- Soulcage pulls something like this when you fight it in Final Fantasy IX, claiming that it has foreseen its death.
- Akira Yuki of Virtua Fighter is famous for his usage of this line ("Juu'nen hayain da yo" - "You're ten years too early"). Other characters even make reference to it (e.g. Pai in Virtua Fighter 4).
- One of Tales of Vesperia's end-battle quotes is a variation on this between Yuri and Estelle:
Yuri: It'll be a hundred years before you can beat me!
Estelle: Because you've lived a lot longer, right?
Yuri: ...Not exactly.
- If you lose to Peridot on Mt. Grimm in Tales of Hearts, she says this almost verbatim.
- Fatal Fury: This is one of Ryuji Yamazaki's win lines in every game he appears in.
- In KOF Maximum Impact, Billy Kane will tell a defeated Alba and/or Soiree Meira, "It's a hundred years too soon for you to rule this town!"
- From Gitaroo Man: "Not in a million billion years." (infinity impossible)
- Later on the game, there's "Not... in all of eternity." (infinity impossible)
- Disgaea 2 uses this before a certain Hopeless Boss Fight (unless you've been grinding like a fiend or are on a New Game+).
"No!!! With those herbs, I could've regained my levels! Ugh... why'd you have to go out of your way to ruin my life, you little brat?!"
"What's the matter? Are you hungry or something?"
"I'm pissed off!! I don't care about our level difference anymore... today's the day I beat the crap outta you, you hear me?!"
"Don't you know anything? It's a million years too early for you to beat me!"
- Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan has the "Thrill" level, where Ryuuji says that "Wakana-chan is one million years too early for you!"
- Said by a few characters when evading an attack in Super Robot Wars.
- Lass of Grand Chase tends to use this as a victory quote and/or a taunt.
- In the first Advance Wars game, Kanbei says, "Come back when you've matured some! Say, in ten years!" the first time he uses his CO Power in the mission "Kanbei's Error?".
- The First Funky Fighter has the most exaggerated example where the main character says "You're one million years too young to be challenging human beings!!!" when he beats a monstrous animal.
- In Vanguard Princess, Lilith's victory quote is "You're ten thousand years too early!"
- InuYasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask: After an enemy battle, Inuyasha may quip "Maybe in ten years, you have a chance at beating me!"
- Shego constantly addresses Kim Possible with childish nicknames, implicitly dismissing her as someone too young to be fighting grown-up battles.