“Emergency - which service do you require?”
Police, Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians (although lumped in with paramedics). In an emergency, they are the first to respond, as most emergencies are related to their jobs. Often overworked and underpaid, but still dedicated to their jobs. Got a real big public image boost, at least in the USA, after their selfless actions on 9/11.
Individually these groups (especially the police
) are depicted often enough, but once in a while you get all three playing a major role, or at least their respective vehicles.
Note that this is not them as a Power Trio
, as this is about the organizations, not a trio of people. Also takes into account locale-specific services like Coast Guard
, Mountain Rescue, Cave Rescue, etc. Then there's the mercifully seldom heard of Nuclear Emergency...
Sometimes praised in fiction as The Real Heroes
, but it's often lip service compared to how they are usually treated
Frequently overlaps with Rescue
Paramedics and Firefighters
- Too many to count, really, although Cops stands out most.
- Rescue 911
- Third Watch
- The Grand Theft Auto games let you try out each of these in the secondary missions.
- The Autobots had quite a few whose vehicle form was an emergency vehicle.
- As far as Transformers go, it's probably worth noting that the Generation 1 combiner team the Protectobots who form Defensor are made entirely up of these vehicles (Hot Spot - fire engine, Streetwise - police car, Groove - anoddly large police motorcycle, First Aid - ambulance, Blades - air ambulance), as does the main cast of Transformers Animated (Optimus Prime - fire engine, Ratchet - ambulance, Prowl - police motorcycle, Bulkhead - police APCnote , Bumblebee - undercover police car (as in, a civilian car equipped with a siren and possibly other gear)).
- So do the robots from the various Braves series (where the good robots are all various public service vehicles) which you probably just know of from GaoGaiGar. Unsurprisingly, both Braves and Transformers were based on toylines from the same company.
- Rescue Heroes was a cartoon based on a toyline that featured an elite team of emergency service members (and astronauts) who operated like superheroes, but focused entirely on rescuing people rather than fighting crime (oddly, that includes the police officers who were part of the team).
- The aptly named Emergency! series of videogames is centred around managing various emergency personnel to, well, solve emergencies. This often involves using two or all three of the emergency services. note
- Super Sentai and Power Rangers occasionally have a season themed on emergency services:
- There's also Tomica Hero Rescue Force and Tomica Hero Rescue Fire; the first skewed more to general allround rescue, while the latter was more oriented towards a firefighter theme.
- Mixels has the MCPD (Mixopolis City Police Department), MCFD (Mixopolis City Fire Department) and the Medix (doctors).
- The Guardian, a film about the United States Coast Guard and their Aviation Survival Technician (AST) program.
- The Time-Space Administration Bureau's Disaster Relief Branch in Lyrical Nanoha that Subaru joins, whose duties include fire rescues and rescues at sea.
- Police Rescue, an Australian TV show about the Police Rescue Squad, which is currently a part of the NSW Police's State Protection Group as a rescue and anti-explosive unit.
- Rescue Special Ops, an Australian series about search and rescue professionals.