Beast Wars II
is a Japanese Transformers
spinoff from 1998, made to bridge the gap between the first and second seasons of Beast Wars
. Crash-landed on Gaea, the vicious Predacons, led by Galvatron, and the heroic Maximals, led by Lio Convoy, battle for Angolmois energy. In general, a much more lighthearted show than Beast Wars
and followed by a follow up Beast Wars Neo
The full name of the series is Beast Wars II: Chō Seimeitai Transformers
, literally "Beast Wars II: Super Life-form Transformers") and pronounced Beast Wars Second
The series provides examples of:
- Camp Gay: Starscream/Hellscream
- Cute Monster Girl: Artemis
- Drama Bomb Finale: Galvatron gathers up all the Angolmois in his artificial planet Nemesis and engages Lio Convoy and Lio Junior in one massive final battle.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Drillnuts
- Gratuitous English: Tonbot
- Hyperspace Mallet: Artemis
- The Idiot from Osaka: Thrust and Dirge
- Kansai Regional Accent: Diver, Ikard, Thrust and Dirge
- Kill 'em All: The Maximals all die due to the explosion of Galvatron's Galva-matrix, but get better by the end of Beast Wars Neo
- King of Beasts: Lio Convoy
- Merchandise-Driven: Hey, it's Transformers, what do you expect?
- Ninja: Mantis and Scuba
- Palette Swap: There were only three new moulds - Lio Convoy, Galvatron, and Moon. The rest of the cast are redecos of other figures or, if that. A few were retools of varying severity, though. Some characters lacked figures.
- Playing Against Type: Hozumi Gouda, Lio Convoy's voice actor, is a comedian.
- Series Mascot: Moon.
- Small Annoying Creature: Moon.
- The Starscream: Megastorm, Galvatron's younger brother, who despite this, does not hesitate to betray him, even in his upgaded form, Gigastorm.
- Also, Starscream, though in a more subtle way than usual : his goal is to replace Megastorm as Galvatron's second in command, thus making him the Starscream to the Starscream.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: Averted with the Insectrons, who are good guys. Eventually.