Stock phrase. Often used if the character appears right next to or behind an opponent and then ends the battle with a single shot/blow. Most commonly happens in shows where at least one character is capable of Super Speed
or Flash Step
Anime and Manga
- Red Dwarf: "Too slow, chicken marengo! Too slow for this cat."
- Smallville's version of The Flash often mocks Clark Kent like this, as Clark's Super Speed is nothing compared to his.
- An episode of Lois and Clark had a new superhero called Vixen come to town. She seemingly made Superman obsolete because she was roughly as strong as him, but way faster. Every time Superman arrived at a crime or disaster only to find Vixen had beaten him to it, she would taunt him for being so slow.
- The Beast in Angel was too slow to hit Angel, but could smack Faith around just fine.
- The World Ends with You: "So zetta slow" is Sho Minamimoto's Catch Phrase.
- The Scout in Team Fortress 2: "Yoink! Too slow! I'm a freakin' blur here!"
- Pictured above, Sonic the Hedgehog in Super Smash Bros. Brawl: "You're too slow! You're too slow! You're too slow!"
- However, it was used already years before in Sonic Adventure 2: Eggmann says "Sonic, you're too slow" if you need more than four minutes too reach the final room in Crazy Gadget.
- This is one of Raphael's quotes in Soul Calibur 2.
- In The Legend of Dragoon, during the Boss Battle against Lloyd, he says "Too slow!" if he dodges one of your attacks.
- BlazBlue: If you hear this fighting there's a good chance he has you in the clap trap and you are about to hear it a lot more right before you die. Ironically, this isn't because Carl is particularly speedy; an oversight makes his throw essentially unbreakable in that situation.
- Zidane in Dissidia: Final Fantasy says exactly that during some dodges—the others get a smug "I'm right here!" Sephiroth tosses out a few more reserved ones when he attacks.
- Jon Talbain /Gallon in Darkstalkers has the battle victory quote "Torioze!" which more or less translates to "you're too slow!"
- Hermes in God of War 3, constantly.
"You may have brute force - but you lack speed!"
"I have the speed of Olympus with me, mortal!"
"I will always be faster than you!"
- Vanitas in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep says this whenever he dodges one of your attacks. Which is a lot.
- Also in Re:Chain Of Memories where Riku-possessed Ansem flash-step kills Lexaeus after the latter sent the former flying into the ceiling.
- Riku sometimes says the quote while using his Shadow Slide counter ability in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, which teleports him behind an attacking enemy.
- Prototype: Captain Cross taunts you with this during his boss fight.
- In most of the good endings of Yo-Jin-Bo, Harumoto temporarily incapacitates the heroes by throwing a handful of hallucinogenic powder at them - except for in Ittosai's ending, in which Ittosai simply dodges it with a contemptuous "Too slow!"
- Dragon Ball Z uses this or not, depending on the game. They vary from "Over here!" to "Yikes!" to just grunts or chuckles. Interestingly, sometimes the opposite of this happens and the other character expresses frustration with "Where are you?!" or similar phrases.
- Tsubaki will sometimes say this during her fights with Jin in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.