open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Ichigo against Ikkaku.
- Also Byakuya Kuchiki against Ichigo when they take Rukia to soul society, first using Flash Step he breaks Ichigo's sword from 20 metres away before stabbing him twice and saying: "you're even slow to fall".
- The next time they fight, on the other hand, Ichigo Flash Steps up and places his sword to Byakuya's throat while Byakuya is in the middle of claiming to be too fast for him.
- In the Fake Karakura Town arc, Aizen taunted Ichigo about how much he outclassed him in speed, and even showed off by putting his hand on Ichigo's chest before he could react, commenting this meant he could drive his sword through his heart whenever he felt like it and was just toying with him.
- Setsuna in Mahou Sensei Negima! said this in an unimpressed manner to Negi when she found that he wasn't quite focused on the fight.
- Quintum says this to Tertium Fate during their fight.
- Also a catchphrase of epic-tier Mecha pilots like Char Aznable and his expies.
- In GaoGaiGar, Pizza (and later, Soldat J) loves to taunt Guy with this, paraphrased:
"It is not that I am fast - you are merely too slow."
- Parodied in Busou Renkin. While fighting in the school, Shusui and Kazuki zip behind each other with the respective taunts "Too slow." and "Oh yeah?!" The twist is, they do so repeatedly, eventually working their way out of the gymnasium entirely and into the courtyard. Kazuki reveals that it was all part of his plan to avoid damaging the school. Tokiko doesn't buy it.
- Brought up in One Piece multiple times, but the two most notable are Kizaru owning the hell out of Luffy at Marineford while Lamp Shading this fact, and Luffy later performing the same feat against a Pacifista's laser right before stomping it into the ground.
- In Hellsing, The Major says this word for word to Schrödinger. Schrödinger had, just moments ago, gone from Millenium headquarters to London, gotten shot in the face, got better and went back to the base in a few minutes. He is not amused.
- Said by Gopher to Maka in the 64th chapter of Soul Eater.
- Believe it or not, one of the Cell Juniors in Dragon Ball Kai. Like Sonic, they're blue.
- Fullmetal Alchemist has Scar say this in his first battle with the Elric brothers. Both of them (neither of whom is at all slow by ordinary standards) rush him and he dodges both at once with little apparent effort. Given that he is a very big man, with the presence and attitude one normally associates with an Implacable Mighty Glacier, he takes them completely by surprise.
- The first fight in Samurai Deeper Kyo is against a Stone Wall and a Fragile Speedster named "The Wind". Kyo finishes the latter off with the phrase.
- Speed of Sound Sonic's schtick in One-Punch Man is that he's, well, fast. Naturally, every time he goes up against Saitama his speed is entirely useless, though Saitama never taunts him (and even seems to be unaware Sonic is a villain).
- Sonic does use the phrase "too slow" when fighting the Sea King.
- Red Dwarf: "Too slow, chicken marengo! Too slow for this cat."
- Smallville's version of The Flash often mocks Clark Kent like this, as Clark's Super Speed is nothing compared to his.
- An episode of Lois and Clark had a new superhero called Vixen come to town. She seemingly made Superman obsolete because she was roughly as strong as him, but way faster. Every time Superman arrived at a crime or disaster only to find Vixen had beaten him to it, she would taunt him for being so slow.
- The Beast in Angel was too slow to hit Angel, but could smack Faith around just fine.
- The World Ends with You: "So zetta slow" is Sho Minamimoto's Catch-Phrase.
- The Scout in Team Fortress 2: "Yoink! Too slow! I'm a freakin' blur here!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog in Super Smash Bros. Brawl: "You're too slow! You're too slow! You're too slow!"
- However, it was used already years before in Sonic Adventure 2: Eggman says "Sonic, you're too slow" if you need more than four minutes to reach the final room in Crazy Gadget.
- This is one of Raphael's quotes in Soul Calibur 2.
- And Setsuka in 3.
- In The Legend of Dragoon, during the Boss Battle against Lloyd, he says "Too slow!" if he dodges one of your attacks.
- BlazBlue: If you hear this fighting Carl there's a good chance he has you in the clap trap and you are about to hear it a lot more right before you die. Ironically, this isn't because Carl is particularly speedy; an oversight makes his throw essentially unbreakable in that situation.
- Zidane in Dissidia: Final Fantasy says exactly that during some dodges—the others get a smug "I'm right here!" Sephiroth tosses out a few more reserved ones when he attacks.
- Jon Talbain /Gallon in Darkstalkers has the battle victory quote "Torioze!" which more or less translates to "you're too slow!"
- Hermes in God of War 3, constantly.
"You may have brute force - but you lack speed!""I have the speed of Olympus with me, mortal!""So slow.""I will always be faster than you!"
- Vanitas in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep says this whenever he dodges one of your attacks. Which is a lot.
- Also in Re:Chain Of Memories where Riku-possessed Ansem flash-step kills Lexaeus after the latter sent the former flying into the ceiling.
- Riku sometimes says the quote while using his Shadow Slide counter ability in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, which teleports him behind an attacking enemy.
- [PROTOTYPE]: Captain Cross taunts you with this during his boss fight.
- Dragon Ball Z games will use this, or not, depending on the game. They vary from "Over here!" to "Yikes!" to just grunts or chuckles. Interestingly, sometimes the opposite of this happens and the other character expresses frustration with "Where are you?!" or similar phrases.
- Tsubaki will sometimes say this during her fights with Jin in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.
- Optimus Prime, of all people, can say this in Transformers: Devastation when pulling off a perfect dodge, though all of the playable characters have their own taunts.
- In most of the good endings of Yo-Jin-Bo, Harumoto temporarily incapacitates the heroes by throwing a handful of hallucinogenic powder at them - except for in Ittosai's ending, in which Ittosai simply dodges it with a contemptuous "Too slow!"