- Lots and lots of tropes are referenced, with some mentioned explicitly, even if the trope alluded to isn't applicable to the situation.
• Haruhi: Exactly like that! Man, you are so Book Dumb sometimes!
• Haruhi: Alright, mighty philosopher Kyon, Riddle Me This.
• Kyon: Is it that Out of Character for me to be informed?
• Kyon: Still, I'm glad the 'nakama' bit worked ... sad that my life is becoming a shounen story.note
Haruhi: Seinen. There's no way in hell we're going through a Tournament Arc.
• That cinched it, Kyon decided. Either she was a ninja, or any real ninja aspired to be as skilled as a Tsuruya family maid.
• Kyon: Don't let the container fool you, that right there is pure evil. And if Haruhi would listen, I would tell her that Evil Is Not a Toy.
• Haruhi: It's not rocket surgery.
• Haruhi: If there was ever a situation that called for beam-spam, that was it!
• Haruhi: Heroic secret service isn't so bad, I guess.
• Yanagimoto: The second he heard about it, his head would explode!
• Akane: ... but you're not some television hero! You are not judge, jury, and executioner!
• Taniguchi: If Kyon's too busy to give you [Kunikida] a much-needed bright slap and wake you up, I'll do it myself!"
- The title of Chapter 11 (Herioc Antics Begin arc 4) is Yeah, It Went There
- After Ryouko gets chibified, Yuki needs to prepare something to contain her so Kyon could be calm enough to sleep. The container is a specially prepared cardboard shoe box, thus making it a literal Cardboard Prison.
- In combination with Expospeak Gag, a bit of narration from Yuki's perspective notes that "In addition to the cover being the least adequate part of the book to judge the contents by, according to contemporary human adages, she knew that thematically, elements were redone specifically to catch the eye or try and sell the contents as a product to an unwary consumer." In other words, Covers Always Lie.
- The title of Chapter 42 (Storm Begins arc 4) is The Answer to Everything
- Kyon dangles Yamane Jun out a window and, unsurprisingly, he demands to be freed. Kyon responds with "Classic poor choice of words."
- After Kyon's aunt comments his mother is very protective he adds "Yes, that's my dearest smother... er, that is, mother."
- Kyon chooses Shirahama Kenichi as an alias, shortly before getting into a fight with some Yakuza both times.
- Kyon keeps mentioning the very special hell that he is going to.
- Chapter 26 has Kyon dropping the line "Stay down, soldier. You've seen enough action" info to a beaten-up Kasai.
- Kyon's highly advanced PDA, capable of growing and learning as it absorbs information, is nicknamed Skynet. The irony does not go unnoticed.
- The narrator intersperses the fight scenes in the first Curb-Stomp Battle with the number of Yakuza left, just like Eliot Spencer in Leverage's Season 2 finale.
- Data about Kanae's enemies are not just classified, in Mikuru's mind, they're [REDACTED].
- Kyon's sister calls her brother pod person when he awakes without help and goes to school early to study.
- When Haruhi asks about how to use the dimensional anchor Kyon jokingly suggests the slider should point it to her enemies and say "Dimensional Prism Power, Make-up".
- Haruhi comments that, thanks to Kanae, Yuki and Mikuru, Kyon can use the hyperbolic time chamber to keep up with fighting.
- According to one of Kyon's cousin, he's "too cool to be drawn to the girl side!".
- "That's amazing, Neo, now what does it have to do with you wearing out an underclassman!?"
- When asked by adult!Mikuru, Kyon comments he sees time as a great ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ... stuff.
- And then there's this:
Kyon: It's mostly sound-based in tool mode ... I think of it like a sonic screwdriver!
Haruhi: A name like that would never catch on. You'll need to work on that.
- Kyon's Badass Longcoat is somewhat reminiscent of Jack Harkness' greatcoat◊ with the color and other details from Tenth Doctor's brown overcoat◊.
- In Chapter 61, Kyon receives a very long, multicolored, woolen scarf, like the Fourth Doctor's.
- And then there's this:
- Haruhi comments Kyon that, while she wanted to give him a lot of tools, she didn't want to turn him into a lombax. Kyon counters by saying he doesn't have a wise-cracking robotic sidekick.
- Mikuru has done costumes of Lum from Urusei Yatsura, Lucy's stewardess uniform from Planetes and a police uniform from You're Under Arrest!.
- Kyon's sister clarifies that he doesn't use his powers for good, but for awesome.
- Kanae's excitement about chocolate cornets qualifies, since for some reason Lucky Star exists in the K:BDH universe. (Haruhi eats them from the head, whichever end that is...)
- In Chapter 36, when Kyon happens to say "this is a triumph", Yuki immediately notes it was a "Huge success".
- Trope-tan's special attack, the Chekhov Beam, is a multiple Shout-Out: to the Chekhov's Gun trope and the Memetically Mutated Mikuru Beam from the Haruhi canon. As a bonus, when she yells the attack name to use it it's done similar to the Falcon... PUNCH!
- "But don't hold your breath for a miracle at this hour - I doubt your defender is as devoted as Odoroki Hosuke." note
- Kyon has been "wearing" (through his greatcoat's disguise function) Himura Kenshin's garb, Roy Mustang's uniform and Huo Yuanjia's kung-fu outfit as depicted in Fearless (2006).
- The Trope-tan movie premiered in this fic is called Trope-tan Begins.
- Kanae's, and now the SOS Brigade's, world have been invaded by the Combine.
- The title of Chapters 47, 48, and 49 are "Resonance Cascade", parts 1, 2, and 3, respectively, and Wataru mentions the Seven Hour War.
- Yuki's response to Haruhi wishing for Kanae to be able to control her slider powers better and find her way home again is to warn of "unforeseen consequences."
Yuki: "I cannot determine parameters of dimensional sliding. Because of this, it is not possible to determine the effects of attempting to initiate a change in Michikyuu Kanae's abilities; attempting to alter or tamper with them may cause unforeseen consequences."
- In Chapter 47, Kyon is chased by what are clearly supposed to be Hunters. He defends himself by using his gravity manipulation equipment to throw a desk at them. Anyone who has played Episode 2 will know that this is a very good idea.
- Fujiwara makes a whole bunch to Continuum. He makes referencing to Kyon "slipshanking" and to his "Yet". Additionally, he seems to have the mentality of a Narcissist.
- And now Kyon too with a "further information not available here" in Chapter 41. Whether or not Kyon intentionally drew the line from Spanner talk or not is debatable at this point.
- Itsuki is a member of the fan club for Kyon's Aunt Rena's book series Brave Detective Sasha - Member Number 24601, of all numbers.
- A shout out to Harry Potter, which was started on a train ride. Rena is bored, but...
"... she didn't want to start writing something while traveling, though. Something about that felt strangely like a bad idea...."
- Kyon used the idiom "on the gripping hand" in Chapter 40.
He'd have to thank Yuki for suggesting that book.
- A woman who seems to be one of Tachibana's superiors gets the surname Takahashi. After this fueling references to the author of Ranma ½, Rumiko Takahashi, Durandall decided to give her this line:
Takahashi: I don't think about that, and neither should you. note
- The brigade talk about black holes and Yuki comments humanoid interfaces can't preserve themselves unassisted there. Haruhi asks Yuki if they are her kryptonite.
- From Chapter 2:
Kyon: "It's not like I've asked Asahina-san to let me go back and give myself notes on tests I did poorly on. Or I've come back from the future to warn myself about upcoming pop quizzes. Really, while it's useful to have access to that kind of power, well.... With great power comes--"
Haruhi: "Don't even try and quote that movie at me," she warned him.
- Re-reading the fic, anyone who knows a lot about Higurashi: When They Cry can find subtle references to it in many chapters, not including the fact that it does crossover with Higurashi.
"...but I digress. When you get that feeling, you know the one, in the back of your head? The one that makes you think something is off about the situation? It may be right. Granted, you may also be tumbling headlong into a fit of paranoia that will end terribly for you and everyone you love. ..."
- For example, right off the bat we have the first Fictional Document referencing the Hinamizawa Syndrome.
- This part from Brave Detective Sasha may be a Shout-Out to Satoko's situation in Tatarigoroshi-hen:
In an early story, one of Sasha's closest friends comes under the auspices of an unkind guardian. Sasha and her remaining friends must prove the mistreatment of her friend. When this proves to be difficult, Sasha's love interest - Ichigo - devises a plot to make the guardian ill enough to be sent to a hospital, thus freeing their friend.
- Probably Minagoroshi-hen rather than Tatarigoroshi-hen. In Chapter 50, Kyon's father references the events of Minagoroshi, specifically Keiichi's attempts at saving Satoko.
- From Chapter 47, after Kyon is called out by Wataru:
Taniguchi: And he just ran out of class? Amazing! That guy's hot-blooded for sure! He is one bad mother—
Yanagimoto: Shut your mouth!
Taniguchi: Aw, I was just talking 'bout Kyon!
- In the same chapter, Ryouko appears before Nonoko with Cirno's dress and wings.
- And this bit from Haruhi is another Shout-Out to Touhou:
Kuyou-chan! Use your spellcard - Spooky Action "Wide Area Transmigration"!
- And Kyon's Divine Spear "Spear the Gungnir".
- And this bit from Haruhi is another Shout-Out to Touhou:
- Magical Girl Nonoko's outfit, staff, attacks and even name all point to Nanoha.
Nonoko: Radiant Magical Nonoko — Set-Up!
- In Open Battles Arc V, Haruhi says the following "incantation":
Concentrate your mind.
Whisper the incantation to your ally tenderly.
Aim it at someone you don't like.
Unleash your annihilation of love!
- As per Chapter 15, one of Trope-tan's enemies is apparently the "Dark Lord Skweeniks." He even goes One-Winged Angel on her (in a fairly amusing fashion) just before the Cliffhanger.
- Chapter 49 drops the phrase "Friendship is magic — the most powerful force ever!"
- Chapter 50 has Haruhi suggesting Hakurouken as a name for Kyon's sword.
Haruhi: It's a magic blade that can banish evil spirits and only causes normal people intense discomfort — that seems to fit perfectly!
- Haruhi and Sakanaka performed a karaoke duet of the song Sweet Blue Days and Kanae soloed Over the Rainbow in Chapter 51.
- The dancing Flash Mob in Chapter 53 gave us another Shout-Out to Touhou in the form of Cosplay. In appearance order, the portrayed characters were: Tsuruya as Sanae Kochiya, Yuki as Patchouli Knowledge, Kyon as Rinnosuke Morichika, Haruhi as Marisa Kirisame, Sasaki as Reimu Hakurei, Mikuru as Koakuma, Kyouko as Ichirin Kumoi, Koizumi as Unzan, Nonoko as Tewi Inaba, Kanae as Suwako Moriya and Kuyou as Kaguya Houraisan
- More music references:
- Apparently, Taro Tanaka is Yakuza rather than the founder of the Dollars. Who knew?
- "Multiple lock-on confirmed! Targeting queue is at one thousand, three hundred thirty seven locks of a possible sixty five thousand five hundred thirty five!"
- During the second date to the movies, Kyon, Yuki and Mikuru watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
- Similarly to the anime, sometimes a character takes notice of the title of the book Yuki is reading at the moment. So far, Stranger in a Strange Land, Life of Pi, The Mirror of Her Dreams, The Complete Compleat Enchanter, Snow Crash, The Golden Compass, The Terror and A Wrinkle in Time have been mentioned.
- Kyon and Tsuruya discovered they both liked to watch Pythagora Switch in Chapter 32.
- Taniguchi mentioned once that Yanagimoto liked anime shows like Sketchbook ~full color'S.
- The Brigade sometimes organizes small anime viewings. So far they have watched Kamichu!, Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, Voices of a Distant Star and the Show Within a Show Trope-tan.
- In Chapter 40 Tsuruya made Haruhi outline the plot of 5 Centimeters per Second in front of Kyon so she would realize how much of a bad idea was to leave certain things unsaid. That's right, a character used shout-out as a plot point to encourage another character to pursue plot (and romantic) development. It's that kind of cast.
- Apparently, the guy with the Captivity Harmonica in Chapter 34, knew about the mockumentary A Mighty Wind.
- Some of Kanae's Doujinshi is based on Hunter × Hunter.
- When she had to choose between two green-haired twins to pair up for playing card games the also green-haired Tsuruya announced "I have to pick one of the two 'mini-me's!"
- In Chapter 61 Ryouko describes the effects of the Morph Weapons' assisted aiming system using Pathfinder terms:
- In the same chapter, Miyuki drops quote "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".
- Kyon's dash-slash/dodge-roll/dash-slash stunt was very reminiscent of Zero's fighting style.
- Kyon's father acquired his first driving skills from his unofficial older brother of sorts:
"Family techniques!" Yuuto said proudly. "As passed to me by my older brother, when he was first delivering tofu on back mountain roads!"
- Kyon starts channeling Maxwell Smart in this exchange in Chapter 63:
Shinobu: Tsuruya-chan. And Kyon-kun. What brings you by, unannounced?Kyon: Would you believe that Tsuruya-hime thought it would be nice to visit Tsuruya-sama?
Kyon: Uh, first of all, would you believe I had a magical coat that let me disguise myself at will?Sasaki: Er, no, not really.
- And this one, only more closer in spirit to the original:
Shout Out / Kyon: Big Damn Hero
It's a Haruhi / TV Tropes crossover. Of course there will be a ton of Shout-Outs.