WARNING! Contains unavoidable spoilers
A character sheet for the fanfiction story Kyon Big Damn Hero
- When adding tropes, be sure they aren't used just like in the very Troperiffic source material. Those go there.
- To avoid Name Order Confusion, all East Asian names are in "surname first" format.
open/close all folders
Kyon/???? Kyousukenote /Tadamichi Kyousukenote
"That day had started normally enough, but then, that was true of nearly all days."Deadpan Snarker
extraordinaire, Secret Keeper
of various supernatural factions, survivor and solver of an apocalypse or three
, holder of Haruhi
and de facto leader of the SOS Brigade
in matters Haruhi can't know
. After Nagato is slated for deletion by the IDSE, Kyon is forced to follow through with his own threat to the Entity by breaking the Masquerade
to Haruhi about aliens, time travelers
and her own power
, and calling out the loyalties of the rest of the Brigade members
to him, placing himself as a centerpiece in a completely new game to all the factions involved.
Of course, when it rains in Kyon's life, it indeed pours
. While he has to deal with a Haruhi who knows her own powers, the threat of Haruhi's closed space
still exists. Add a Mysterious Waif
who appears to know him and the impending threat of the IDSE while still trying to keep test marks acceptable enough for his parents, Kyon is forced to take a more active role than before, not only simply calling on the help of his friends.
To quote the man himself: "Oh, boy"
- Alliterative Nickname: During his apology Masao addresses Kyon as Kowa-Keigo Kyon.
- Badass: His coat itself is also badass.
- Badass Longcoat: Kyon's greatcoat.
- Battle Couple: With Yuki.
- Big Eater: He becomes one as a side effect of the daily training sessions in the "hyperbolic time chamber". To be precise, his increased appetite is the result of his body's tendency to recover from the loss of the muscular mass gained during a year of relative time of dedicated martial training.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He used to be, but not anymore. He scored 96 on a math test (Haruhi got 97), and is almost as good as Haruhi in studies.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: After getting a new PDA, Kyon can make it appear that he's wearing different clothing just by going into a menu. The outfit needs to be scanned first, though.
- Chick Magnet: Oh, so much. For starters, all girls in the brigade like him. And even if he acknowledges some things that happened are beyond friendship he isn't actively looking for a romantic relationship.
- According to his uncle, it's genetic. Although he was saying this while talking to his own harem, he was probably joking.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Kyon's Badass Longcoat is equipped with shields and a disguise and invisibility function. His watch has some gravity manipulators that allow Roof Hopping and can project a tactical armor which can double as an emergency medical compress.
- His coat has also doubled as a Magical Girl's battle garb once. Seriously.
- Companion Cube: Apart from calling it Skynet, Kyon has talked to his PDA at least twice.
- Of course, it has voice recognition and artificial intelligence, to the point where it switches to Minesweeper after Kyon beats it at chess several times.
- Cuteness Proximity: When seeing Hanyuu he had to keep himself from laughing at how "adorably cute" she looked. Bonus cute points for when she eats a sweet bun.
- Dissonant Serenity: Right after Yamane nearly kills Tsuruya by throwing her out the window, Kyon dangles him out the window by the ankle with a hand. He proceeds to interrogate Yamane for information, while acting as the Bad Cop. Justified, because Yamane did press Kyon's Berserk Button.
- Also happens in Chapter 48, when he discovers his sister in Kuyou's shadow-song, using his gear, and wanting to fight, as well.
He felt a shiver run through him, an instant of an incredibly unfamiliar emotion filling him before he felt himself grow hot, and then intensely, almost overwhelmingly calm.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Because of the nature of his training he knows martial arts but he doesn't remember any experience with them, including the specific effects of his attacks on opponents. After the fight on Chapter 11, Iyouji was surprised when he had to ask how bad the injuries he made on the Mooks were.
- The Dreaded: A rare heroic example. After one too many failed attempts against the "Kowa-Keigo" of the Tsuruya-tachi, Kyon's reputation within the Sumiyoshi-rengo unintentionally becomes such that even saying his Embarrassing Nickname aloud receives speak-of-the-devil treatment.
- Facial Dialogue: Noted as good at this by other characters.
Yanagimoto: Kyon wore his normal unimpressed look — though it somehow also managed to say, "leave me out of this," without him uttering a word.
- Flat "What.": Being a Deadpan Snarker, Kyon is pretty much expected to use these from time to time.
- An example from Chapter 36:
- Gonna Need More Milk: Milk is Kyon's calming beverage of choice. How does he respond when he hears Yuki's slated for deletion?
Kyon: There isn't enough milk in the world.
- Gravity Master: Kyon's upgrades make him this.
- Gratuitous English: Kyon can speak perfect English, and uses it when Haruhi makes him cosplay. Mikuru nearly squealed in delight at it.
- Guilty Pleasures: Roofhopping. Kyon surely seems to go out of his way to avoid mentioning (especially to Haruhi) how much he really enjoys the chance to emulate his old manga heroes.
- The Heart: Only the mention of his nickname could calm down an Unstoppable Rage from Haruhi.
- I Hate Past and Future Me: Kyon thinks that Future!Kyon is arrogant and condescending and that Past!Kyon is incompetent. This is played with, as Kyon tells Koizumi that he mostly annoys himself so that he'll remember things that he'll have to do later, but after Kyon's encounter with Wataru and Kuyou in Chapter 37, this was played straight when Future!Kyon sent a text to Kyon calling him an idiot for not involving Yuki.
- In a Single Bound: He becomes capable of this after a series of upgrades.
- I'm Going to Hell for This: Kyon keeps telling himself he's going to go to a very special hell when he does things he realize go beyond friendship. Later events (like him being engaged to Tsuruya and the reaction he expects from Haruhi) makes him wonder if he's already in it.
- Martial Pacifist: Kyon explicitly states that violence is the last resort, but sometimes it is required.
- Master of Disguise: By using his greatcoat.
- Meaningful Name: Kyon's name, as revealed in the beginning of some chapters. Taira no Tadamichi (aka Usui Sadamitsu) is the real name of a samurai involved in a Japanese legend, who was from one of the four families that held the power behind the Japanese throne from the 9th to 12th centuries. The other three families were Fujiwara (the other time traveler), Tachibana (the other esper), and Minamoto (which was historically based in the same geographic region as Nishinomiya). As for the meanings of the names, Tadamichi 直方 can mean straightaway/honest/frank/fix/repair | person/alternative/direction and Kyousuke 恭典 can mean respect/reverent | law/rule/ceremony/code. Think how Kyon has affected Haruhi.
- Morality Chain: While Kyon retains this role for Haruhi earlier on, he also serves as this for Tsuruya.
- Number Two: Of the SOS Brigade, though often he's the one in command rather than Haruhi.
- Later Kyon becomes Tsuruya's saikō-komon (最高顧問, senior advisor), a position roughly equivalent to The Consigliere (albeit one who can have his own subordinates). In practice, however, Kyon is widely known for his fighting prowess, giving him the reputation more akin to that of a battle-oriented dragon.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Mikuru notes that Kyon has a flair for languages, as he learns German from Tsuruya. He is also fluent in English, to the point where he easily beats Haruhi in Scrabble. She doubts he is as dumb as he claims, especially considering how he forced Fujiwara into traveling back in time to save him at the beach.
- Oblivious to Love:
Already Kyon had garnered unsettled looks from passing students ... and just as worryingly, more than a few enthusiastic and interested smiles from various girls. Best not to let that get back to Haruhi, though Kyon fortunately seemed to be totally blind to such things.
- As of the Thwarted Lull Arc, Kyon has taken this Up to Eleven.
- Orange Armband of Second-in-Command: When he was promoted to vice commander, he told Itsuki to just tell Haruhi that it got lost so he doesn't have to wear it at club meetings. When Itsuki tells this lie to Haruhi, she just pulls a new one out of her pocket.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: With Tsuruya
- Rank Up: Haruhi promotes him to Vice-Commander of the SOS Brigade when the masquerade is broken.
- Red Baron: Kowa-Keigonote Kyon.
- Refusal of the Call: After Kyon admits he kinda remembers seeing that ancestral samurai sword of his clan sitting in storage at his house, Haruhi accuses him of this.
Haruhi: You are actively trying to pretend you don't hear the call.
- Sarcastic Confession: When his mother asks him if he's done being a delinquent, his response is to say that he's decided to skip straight to joining the yakuza.
- Terror Hero: A borderline case. Even if Kyon never plans on using fear as a valid course of action, when sufficiently pressed he will resort to scare tactics to get the point across, as it was the case with Yamane's "interrogation" (Chapter 11), the time when he warned Fujiwara against badmouthing his friends (Chapter 30) and particularly when he provoked Wataru into confessing how important his sister is to him, upsetting him to the point that Wataru opened fire at Kyon just to shut him up (Chapter 48).
- Took a Level in Badass: Kyon + Year Inside, Hour Outside + Applied Phlebotinum = Took a Level in Badass. Repeat the next day, every single day.
- Trademark Favorite Drink: Milk.
- Tranquil Fury: One interpretation of how Kyon was acting after seeing Tsuruya dangled out of a window. It was this or Dissonant Serenity.
- Warrior Poet: What happens when you take a character that frequently makes comparisons to history and mythology in his narration and give him several levels in badass? You get what Tsuruya describes as a "warrior-philosopher".
- When He Smiles: According to Tsuruya.
And then he did smile, and it was worth it. That sense of security she got when he gave her an almost identical smile after saving her from enemy yakuza, or reassurance that he didn't regret being involved with her.... It was that smile, so everything was okay after all.
"Well, you've got a lot to learn! A challenge against one of us is a challenge against all of us!"Energetic leader
of the SOS Brigade and (unknowingly to her
) Reality Warper
, Haruhi's wish of meeting supernatural people
beings becomes true the day she receives a phone call from Yuki's home leading to John Smith
revealing himself and using her own newfound power to save Yuki's life.
However, things aren't like she expected them to be
: time travelers
being on a mission of understanding why the path to a further past is blocked while armed with several heavily enforced restrictions, humanoid interfaces
who are in a similar mission but also with the threat of being deleted at any time, espers
trying desesperately to save the world from the fickle whims of her own power. Now Haruhi must deal with all of that, her very volatile powers and the possibility of molding Kyon to her own wishes even without meaning it while still trying to "overloading the world with fun", as the full name of the SOS Brigade says.
- Anger Born of Worry: She reacts this way after seeing the injuries Kyon got from fighting some Yakuza with all his supernatural tools disabled.
- Bi the Way: Remember when she said something along the lines of, "Male or female doesn't matter, it only matters that they're interesting," in the original series? She meant it.
- Blessed with Suck: She not only gets to know she has a power, also the magnitude and sensitivity of it.
Haruhi: But more and more, this 'power' I've got really seems to suck! It's too dangerous to use, and just for having it, I endanger the world?
- Subverted later on. Haruhi uses a Memory Gambit on herself about her power while still keeping some basic telekinesis to play around with. This coupled with Yuki acting as a buffer for her subconscious wishes allows Haruhi to effectively keep the blessing and drop the suck.
- Ultimately, the limitations are self-imposed: if she somehow loses control (e.g. by being sufficiently angry or depressed), she still might destroy the world.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She is doing her best to avoid being one since it would ruin her plan for Kyon and the girls in the SOS Brigade.
- Cuddle Bug: More than her canon counterpart and especially true in Chapter 62.
- Die or Fly: In Chapter 47, Nonoko arrives in time to save Haruhi from being overwhelmed by hunter drones, but gets swarmed by another wave that arrives soon after. In order for Haruhi to reach her in time, Haruhi takes off flying and snatches her up, leaping away just before a hail of flechettes could tag them.
- Dream Sequence: In Chapter 22, Haruhi was shown dreaming about flying through the sky, sentai-style, with Kyon the rest of the brigade, to fight evil aliens.
- Flight: She gains it as part of her abilities upgrade.
- Forceful Kiss: To Kyon while holding him by a Necktie Leash.
- A God I Am Not: Haruhi finds out that she is a Reality Warper with nigh limitless power, but she is horrified by the possibility of accidentally destroying all of reality with a careless thought. She authorizes Yuki and Kyon to act as a Power Limiter to restrain what she can do. She later finds out that that's not enough, and willingly gives herself a memory block to keep her from remembering what she's actually capable of. In effect, she gives up her godlike power and contents herself with limited telekinesis, with a later powerup to Pure Energy projection.
- Guile Hero: Kyon comments on how easily and seamlessly Haruhi takes on this role when the situations calls for it. In his words: "Like a secret agent or a confidence artist".
- Holding Back the Phlebotinum: A very practical example. Haruhi reluctantly agrees to put a leash on her powers by requiring that her wishes be approved by Yuki and Kyon. She later realizes it was good she did.
- Insane Troll Logic: In Chapter 36, while she and Yuki are forcibly undressing Kyon.
Haruhi: This is your penance for letting me have my way with Mikuru-chan!
Kyon: W-what kind of crazy justice is that!
- Instant Expert: With her Mind over Matter powers, as shown when she made lunch four times faster the morning after she got them.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Haruhi has a lot of SD cards. She liberated them from the illegal photography club, sent the relevant data to the authorities, then had Yuki format all of them.
- Memory Gambit: Haruhi provokes one on herself about how she remembers her own powers including Closed Space, effectively preventing the formation of Closed Space and giving herself a better protection against Power Incontinence, until she can learn to be responsible with them. Meanwhile, Mind over Matter abilities are the only ones she can access by herself.
- Mind over Matter
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Haruhi discovered that she can use her Mind over Matter powers to fly out of pure necessity in order to put Nonoko out of the line of enemy fire in Chapter 47. Taking into account how Haruhi acquired her "daytime" powers, this is most likely an Invoked Trope courtesy of her Memory Gambit. She even lampshades it later while going over what happened.
She blinked suddenly, smiling. "Hey, that's just like an anime, isn't it?" she realized aloud. "I got that new power right when I needed it!"
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: She pretends to be dating Kanae in order to avoid extra attention from boys. She insists it's a "Class S" relationship, a statement that is accepted with mixed success as most of the school seems to think that, in Haruhi's case, either is equally possible.
- Skewed Priorities: The Computer Society President finds strange that Haruhi's biggest priority on Kyon's "encounter" with Yamane on Chapter 11, is Kyon's record, and preventing this event getting back to Kyon's mother.
- Through His Stomach: Haruhi starts making lunch for Kyon when he is grounded. She still keeps making them after it's lifted though.
- Troper: She mentions the site multiple times, though not by name.
- Yuri Fan: When Yuki offers to teach Haruhi how to kiss better, her mind starts providing images. She immediately tries to wave them away.
- Then she kisses Tsuruya in Chapter 54.
- And Kanae in Chapter 56.
Mikuru wasn't certain what had come over her. All this time, she'd built an image of Yuki as little more than a human-shaped alien entity ... occasionally very girl like. But Yuki was trying so hard to become more than that.... She'd never even thought to try and consider things extensively from the alie— From the other girl's point of view.Stoic humanoid interface
made by the Integrated Sentient Data Entity
in order to observe Haruhi's power
. Yuki is slated for deletion because, in eyes of the IDSE, she has become a liability to their existence. As a result of various events starting with her calling Kyon only because she wanted to spend her last moments with him
, she replaces her connection to the IDSE with a direct connection to Haruhi
. Her side of the story shows how she has to work full-time preventing Haruhi's power from getting out of control and her further development in what caused the IDSE to declare her a liability: her humanity
- Battle Couple: With Kyon.
- Covert Pervert: There's a brief scene where she watches Kyon bathing (for...security reasons...) and Chapter 60 reveals that she spent at least one of the 'training sessions' teaching him how to kiss.
- Do Well, but Not Perfect: Kyon mentions that Yuki's average is only short of being perfect by the four percent of answers she simply didn't bother completing. A perfect score would attract unneeded attention to her.
- Expospeak Gag: In Chapter 13:
Yuki: At this juncture, I will attempt to communicate something to you, though I am uncertain as to the accuracy of the transmission. Words remain a weak vector for communicating vital information. Despite the lack of adherence to social norms and the correct protocols for this procedure, I am attempting to convey to you the positive emotive content of my current condition and regards for you. The outcome is uncertain; no accurate prediction can be made. Regardless of the fact that determination is unclear, I have resolved to continue due to the content of the emotive concept I wish to relay. Despite the fact that I have no comparable metric, I am currently unable to conceive a greater intensity than the one I experience at this moment in relation to you.
Yuki: I attempted to use more words. It appears that the data was not conveyed accurately.
Kyon: C...can you try it again with less, maybe?
Yuki: Yes. I like you. A lot.
- Face Death with Dignity: Deconstructed when the IDSE scheduled Yuki's deletion because she became a liability given she could go astray again. The concept of having a will to live was so alien to her she wasn't fazed with the IDSE's decision, to the point she tries to object Kyon's decision to call the SOS Brigade to help her (Yuki only informed Kyon because she wanted to be with him in her last moments).
- I Hate Future Me: Yuki agrees with Kyon's assessment of his future self's "jerkness" by commenting that her own future self is "insensitive" to her past self in the notes that she sends via Kyon's PDA to her past self.
- Security Cling: Yuki asks this to Kyon after rescuing him from falling into a black hole which was created accidentally when Kuyou Suou tried to protect Kyon. Unlike Kyon, she wasn't shielded from the strong gravitational forces and radiation.
- Stay with Me Until I Die: In Chapter 1, Yuki invoked this trope by calling Kyon after she learns the IDSE scheduled her deletion so she can be with him in her last moments. She never considered telling Kyon about this would make him subvert this trope by using his Trust Password on Haruhi so he could convince her to save Yuki.
- Technopath: A very minor application of her powers. Yuki can, for example, emulate the functions of a phone, send emails with her mind alone or render her own memories as video files.
- Waif-Fu: In her first fight against Yakuza Mooks. Double Subverted in the second one. To wit, she can't pull off near-impossible feats of strength and acrobatic skill under the effects of a Power Nullifier. Instead, she first prioritizes the acquisition of a weapon and then proceeds to beat her opponents with a mix of efficient evasive maneuvers, precisely delivered blows and well coordinated teamwork.
Asahina MikuruCute, shy and pretty
girl serving as the mascot of the SOS Brigade, Mikuru also has a supernatural background as a time traveler
. When Kyon broke the Masquerade
to Haruhi of all the brigade members Mikuru is seemingly the least affected in her duties as her observation mission remains unchanged.
However, she doesn't know Kyon has already met her future self: a self-confident Plucky Girl
whose objective is to preserve the future where she was born. Mikuru's tale is about how she grows into that adult self without losing herself in the process and dropping her Neutral Female
mantle by making her role as The Chick
useful to the SOS Brigade.
- Chekhov's Skill: Mikuru's learned some paramedic skills starting in the Gearing Up arc. It became useful when Kyon was injured and Yuki wasn't able to heal him.
- Cuteness Overload: Prone to get hit by this trope, usually when Kyon (especially in his "domestic mode"), chibis or Kanae are involved.
- Eureka Moment: In Chapter 34, Mikuru realizes a loophole to allow a time traveler to change history without violating causality exists after commenting to Kyon about the dinner she had just cooked, saying that she had "added some things from outside of the normal recipe."
- Foot Popping: When kissing Kyon in Chapter 29.
- If It's You, It's Okay: In Chapter 24. Note that Kyon is usually considered too old to apply the "shouta" label.
Oh, Kyon-kun ... I don't have a shouta complex
, but for you, well...
- The Medic: Recent training sessions with Yuki have had Mikuru training to become this.
- Modesty Towel: Mikuru is wearing one when she is teleported for the first training session.
- Neuro-Vault: Mikuru keeps a mental journal of her time with Kyon for when she has to return to the future. Since she can't access them until she returns to her own time she relies on "good old fashioned chemical memories" until then.
- Not So Different: A romantic/comedic example. Remember how Kyon used to gush about Mikuru and take delight of almost every cute thing she did in canon, especially via his inner monologues? Take a guess.
- Team Chef: Mikuru enjoys cooking for her friends and often volunteers to prepare the food for a special occasion or to help out in the kitchen.
- Squee: After being shown a photo of Kyon in an apron.
- Supreme Chef: Becomes one after decades' worth of training in the "hyperbolic time chamber". It has its side effects though, namely her friends now can't help but stop a moment to evaluate and rate other people's food lower than Mikuru's (or her own in Haruhi's case), no matter how well prepared it may be, and Mikuru herself tends to get a little judgemental when tasting others' cooking.
"It is manifest to you now through my own power, but truly, my power shapes — it is this borrowed power that cuts. Which, as you can guess, means none of the feeling in these attacks is from me."
Esper with very specialized Psychic Powers
who gained entrance to the SOS Brigade as a New Transfer Student
, becoming a Yes-Man
and second-in-command to Haruhi, Koizumi is left in a precarious position: sure, he had promised to stay with the SOS Brigade
if there were a confrontation with the Espers' Organization, and he intends to keep his word. However, he can't help but feel whatever emotion Haruhi feels
, which influences his judgement constantly, especially since he knows more intimately than any other brigade member how powerful Haruhi is
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: When he finds out that Kyon is the nephew of his favorite author and that Kyon can introduce him to her, he responds as such:
"Kyon," Koizumi said with unexpected heat in his voice, "I don't know that I've ever asked for much as a personal favor - but please let me meet your aunt!"
- Blessed with Suck: Due to being mentally connected to Haruhi's emotional state, Koizumi is especially aware of each time Haruhi and Kyon kiss. In Chapter 32, Yuki cuts the link per Koizumi's request to Haruhi, who only then realized she didn't have mental privacy.
- A Day in the Limelight: Koizumi finally gets to use his ESPer powers in real life due to Haruhi, much to his delight. Moments ago, he was Tempting Fate by saying that he was the most normal now, since Kyon's actions ultimately led to Closed Spaces - originally the sole environment in which he could use his powers - no longer manifesting.
- Deadpan Snarker: Koizumi's real personality looks like to be one, as shown in Chapter 31. He's shown the snarkiest when he was using his ESP, which is fueled by keeping himself in contact with his true personality.
- Declaration of Protection: To Kyouko in Chapter 44:
"She's been harmed enough; I'll allow no more"
- Die or Fly: In Chapter 31, as Kyon is battling the slider robot on the beach, Haruhi demands that Koizumi go use his esper powers to help him. Koizumi tries to explain to her that his powers only work in closed space, but Haruhi cuts him off and shoves him off the nearby cliff, toward the direction of the slider robot. His esper power activates shortly afterward without him realizing it - Haruhi had altered his power at the same time that she ran her Memory Gambit on herself - allowing him to destroy the robot.
- Kiss By Proxy: When Haruhi and Kyon are making out.
- Required Secondary Powers: Played with regarding his powers. In the source material, it's explained he was given innate knowledge of the uses and limitations of his powers. When Haruhi changed his ESP so he could use them outside closed space, she didn't update that information. It took an unconscious reflex in the middle of a battle to realize he could use them (she doesn't remember changing them or that Koizumi couldn't use ESP in normal space).
- Telepathy/Psychic Powers: After learning that Haruhi made changes to his powers, Koizumi experiments with them and learns that he now derives his power from people around him and, as a side-effect, can read them.
- The Knights Who Say Squee : Toward the writer of Brave Detective Sasha, Ryuugu Rena. He is surprised when they meet, as Rena also falls victim to this trope, having her typical reaction over Yuki cosplaying as Sasha.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Averted, since Koizumi absolutely refuses to use his new powers on unwilling subjects, fearing that he might lose his principles.
"I mean ... I don't know if I could do this alone," Haruhi admitted, her face turning even more red. "Without you, Mikuru-chan, Yuki-chan, and Kanae-chan...."
"Aww," Tsuruya soothed, holding back another small giggle. "It doesn't matter if you could or couldn't! You don't have to!"
And that, Haruhi realized, returning her friend's hug, was what really mattered.
A general description about Tsuruya's personality, motivations, etc.
- 108: Tsuruya will be the 108th family head when she assumes that position.
- Compressed Hair: Just before her battle in Chapter 12, Tsuruya reveals her identity by pulling off her blonde wig, letting them see her green hair.
- Gainaxing: Tsuruya bounced excitedly at the thought of going for the Trope-tan movie. What happened under her dress made Miyoko rather jealous.
- Happens to Tsuruya earlier, as well. She cosplays as Lum one day, and when she got excited about something, she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet, and Kyon had to sit quickly, as he noted that action "had an interesting side effect."
- Going Commando: Given how often Tsuruya wears a Kimono, this trope is likely to be in play more often than would be immediately apparent.
- Hates Being Alone: Having lived all her life as a Lonely Rich Yakuza Princess and just recently finding not only friends but True Companions she reacts strongly to anything which may threaten them or her relationship with them. This comes to a head in Chapter 54 where she (almost desperately) seeks for a way to make amends for something that Haruhi will later admit it was just her own bottled up jealousy getting the better of her.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: While she hasn't shown angst about being a Lonely Rich Kid, knowing fully the reasons behind that (that is, being a Yakuza Princess), she feels doubly grateful to Mikuru: for being her friend and for introducing her to the SOS Brigade.
- Kimono Fanservice: Of the Pimped-Out Dress variety.
- Kimono Is Traditional: Tsuruya's wardrobe appears to be mostly kimono for this reason.
- Little Black Dress: Tsuruya is shown wearing one in Chapter 35.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Justified by her family's yakuza business.
- Missing Mom: And her aunt feels terrible about it.
- Modesty Towel: Mikuru thoughts indicate that Tsuruya rarely bothers with one of these.
- Kyon sees her wearing one of these in Chapter 7, but she loses it very quickly.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: With Kyon
- Pluralses: It's her Verbal Tic.
- Sixth Ranger: Upon joining the SOS Brigade.
- Stepford Smiler: As seen in Chapter 24. A minor case, since she really is as happy as she looks most of the time.
- This Is Reality: Tsuruya dismissed using her anime collection as reference about how to tell Kyon she likes him, as it "seemed the real world would be more complicated than that, somehow".
- Verbal Tic: Occasionally adds an "s" to the end of words. Strangely, it goes away when she's under stress instead of getting worse.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: In Chapter 12, Tsuruya disguises herself as high school gang member in order to be admitted into a yakuza hideout. Due to the fact they know how she looks, she based her disguise on the kogal fashion style. To be precise, it consists in a blond wig, an uniform from another school* and heavy makeup with a fake tan, which she compliments with the expected demeanor and speech.
- Yakuza Princess
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Tsuruya's father thinks that of her while she's dressing up for her omiai.
- Yuri Fan: Tsuruya considers a threesome with Kyon and Kanae in Chapter 35, notes how awkward it might be, then files it away for later consideration.
- Then in Chapter 54, she kisses Haruhi.
She had long ago lost count of how many worlds she'd been in, how many history tests she'd failed for remembering things correctly ... but differently. That didn't matter to her, though; in the end, he always listened, and because of that, across countless worlds, Sempai was Sempai.
A general description about Kanae's personality, motivations, etc.
- A-Cup Angst: She tends to feel this way towards the other girls in the brigade, except for Yuki.
- Bi the Way: Implied, with her having dreams and drawing doujins involving herself, Kyon and Haruhi.
- Body Surf: Her sliding through worlds is revealed to be this. She is unaware of this, but she was constantly trying to escape, so she kept doing this periodically.
- Crash-Into Hello: Her introduction to the story.
- Covert Pervert: She draws... intimate pictures of some of the other people in the Brigade. One of them apparently involved herself, Kyon, and Haruhi, and another Kyon and Koizumi.
- Dark and Troubled Past: From constantly having to escape from the Alien Invasion since they attacked her home world as a child.
- Dimensional Traveler: Of the inherent powers' variant.
- Doom Magnet: Enemy sliders are in hot pursuit of Kanae, and with them the Combine following shortly behind. It's currently unknown what happened to all the worlds Kanae had traveled into, but it's strongly implied in Chapter 47-49 that at least some of them were attacked and conquered.
- Hair Decorations: In the form of a smiley-face hairpin that Haruhi gave her.
- How Do I Shot Web?: She never had time to practice her sliding abilities. Her chance of learning is a plot point in the story.
- Hyper Awareness: Of a highly specific kind. After Kanae learns how to slide within the same universe (which she dubs as "Jumping") Yuki trains Kanae to quickly and precisely assess spatial information to the point she's able to determine Sasaki's sizes from memory with enough detail for Mikuru to prepare an outfit for her in Chapter 52, after seeing her, at most, a couple of times.
- Insistent Terminology: When Kanae first met Kyon, she insisted on him calling her by her first name (instead of her last name).
- In Spite of a Nail: In almost every world she has been, her Sempai was there. And every time he was there, he tried to help her, even if he doesn't believe her.
- Later chapters reveal that this is a Justified Trope and unconsciously an Invoked one too. Part of Kanae's power set involved tracking a person's "astral imprint"/"quantum wavelength" (in Layman's Terms their presence) to determinate the exit point of each interdimensional jump. In other words, Kanae's sheer desire to meet Kyon again was apparently enough to force her incipient power to send her almost consistently to the proximity of one of his Alternate Selves.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: In Chapter 22, Kanae makes a teary speech about how she refuses to cause any more trouble to the SOS Brigade. Just before she slides away, Yuki engages the dimensional anchor, locking her.
- Meaningful Name: The surname Michikyuu is commonly written with two kanji: 道給. Among others meanings, the first kanji can be read as journey or teachings and the second one as gift or grant. Like this, the name Michikyuu can be read as the gift of journey or to grant teachings. The given name of Kanae has many possible readings, but three of them (かな映, 嘉奈映 and 奏映) contain the kanji for reflection.
- OC Stand In: Based on the then-unnamed girl that appeared prominently in Dissociation, who then gets a canon name in Astonishment. Durandall said that he was tempted to update Kanae's appearance to match Yasumi's, but the name and backstory he created will definitely be staying.
- Recurring Dreams: Her favorite dream includes kissing her Sempai at a beach and magically teleporting to a shadowy wooded glade surrounded by bunnies and flowers. After the fight with a robot at the beach Kanae, still somewhat dazed, believes she's dreaming when Kyon shows himself like in her dream, and decides to kiss him only to realize later everybody is watching them.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: She pretends being in love with Haruhi in order to avoid extra attention from boys and Kanae's genuine admiration for her "Suzumiya-sempai" makes the story all the more credible. Although, given the nature of her preferences in others, romance-wise, she may not actually be pretending at all.
- Sixth Ranger: Upon joining the SOS Brigade.
- Tears of Joy: In Chapter 30, when she realizes not only she doesn't have to run from the Combine anymore, but also Haruhi and the SOS Brigade had been waiting for her all this time to make that decision. Then, she calls Haruhi Suzumiya-sempai for the first time.
- Teleportation: As of Chapter 42, she learned to "jump" within the same world through Yuki's help, but only to the location of people she knows. She can also teleport to known places, but that is a little more difficult for her.
- Yaoi Fangirl: In Chapter 50, it's revealed that she's been drawing Kyon×Itsuki doujinshi during club meetings.
"I didn't hear that story!" Kanae said, giggling herself, a tiny blush coming to her cheeks. "Ooh, Sempai with another boy! Such a naughty thought!" Her eyes turned distant and her blush deepened. "Hum, Sempai and Koizumi-san..."
- You Can't Go Home Again: She has slid through over a hundred different worlds, running from the Combine as well as trying to find a way to save her home. However, even if she found a way to save her home, she doesn't know how to return there.
A general description about Ryouko
's personality, motivations, etc.
"His influence," she said, before making one of her strange pauses, "me to him. I am," and another pause, almost identical to the first.
A general description about Kuyou's personality, motivations, etc.
- Doppelgänger: Subverted in her backstory. When Kuyou created her humanoid interface, its design was based on Sasaki and it was meant to be a perfect copy of her, but the latter's power interfered with the process and Kuyou's current appearance is the result.
- Emotionless Girl: At first.
- Does Not Like Noodles: Kuyou haet noodlez.
- Fun Size/Chekhov's Hobby: She gets one in an encounter with her alternate self.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Dresses up as the bad angel for Kyon in Chapter 54.
- Gravity Master: Up to Eleven. Once free of restrictions, her fight against Kimidori Emiri in Chapter 43, ended when Kuyou generated a strong gravitational pull which made her opponent go through the ground and resurface on the other side of the planet in a fraction of a secondnote . It was even noted in story that that single attack would have destroyed the Earth as a side effect if it happens under normal circumstances. By the way, said opponent survives.
- Humanoid Abomination: Beyond implying that she is an interface for the physical universe, it is stated that she has a singularity inside of her.
- Ludicrous Precision: She measures time in discrete "rotations" units, which last about 1/1150th of a second, which it's perhaps not-so-incidentally equivalent to the theoretical upper limit for the angular velocity of a rotating black hole.
- Mundane Made Awesome: How Kuyou views the world. Her reaction to baking cookies makes it seem like it's an awe-inspiring process that people would give their right hands to see.
- Mundane Object Amazement: Cookies. More precisely she was utterly fascinated of how the simple ingredients could be transformed into something conceptually different to its components.
At the end of this process, Mikuru had transformed things into cookies, through some amazing, slow, medium-scale fusion that Kuyou was delighted to analyze the intricacies of. She could spend millions of rotations examining it and its nuances, at least!
- Oven Logic: Up to Eleven. Kuyou takes Mikuru's cooking advice about the importance of the proportions between ingredients at face value, a misconception that led her to think she can achieve good results if she simply works at a scale more comfortable for her perception and powers as long as the proportions are respected. Long story short, in Chapter 57 she tried to make a cookie six-point-five times as big as the planet Jupiter in this manner. Apparently, at this scale the gravitational field generated by the cookie's own mass interferes with the baking process.
- Photographic Memory: Inverted. She originally can't preserve memories so she needs to keep observing everything in range to prevent Loss of Identity.
- The Quiet One
- Reality Warper
- Shaped Like Itself: How she views many aspects of human life, as her race has few comparable experiences and no comparable scale.
- She's Got Legs: In Chapters 54/55, several characters remarked on this about the full-sized version of Kuyou's 'devil' cosplay. Kyon in particular regarded it as "distracting".
- Technobabble: Standard during her narration, largely astronomy based. Downplayed later on, as her Character Development kicks in and her descriptions become less and less abstract.
- Teleportation: She uses it several times. Yuki observed once that Kuyou's space manipulations are more primitive and graceful than other known methods, hinting perhaps a more intrinsic understanding of the universe.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cookies.
"Kyon's sister"/??? Nonoko/Magical Radiant Nonoko
A general description about Imouto's personality, motivations, etc.
Her instincts told her she should point out the logical flaws in his argument, but she couldn't retain the control for that. Instead, she realized that more than anything else, she wanted to agree with him.
A general description about Sasaki's personality, motivations, etc.
- Agent Scully: She seems to delight in coming up with sensible explanations for the strangeness around her, even though the rest of the Anti-SOS brigade has explicitly informed her of their backgrounds and Kyon seems to have a habit of telling her exactly what he's doing.
- Deconstruction: Part of her Conversational Troping with Kyon in their backstory.
- Distressed Damsel: Gets kidnapped by the yakuza several times, until the SOS Brigade is forced to let her in on The Masquerade for her own safety.
- New Transfer Student: Sasaki transfers to Kitago in Chapter 62. She apparently ends up to a different sophomore class than Kyon, Haruhi, Yuki and Koizumi's.
- Oblivious to Love: As she proves to be such, it seems that she and Kyon have more in common than previously believed. In Chapter 31, she knows she wants desperately to talk with Kyon, but she doesn't know why, being oblivious to her own feelings for him.
- However in Chapter 54, she shows that she is aware that Kunikida has a crush on her and admits that her heart belongs to someone else.
- Power Nullifier/Weirdness Censor: It is revealed in Chapter 44, that this is her power. She controls probability in a way that if she's there to observe it, anything she doesn't think is possible, isn't. This is directly exploited when the enemy esper organization makes her watch when they hire a bunch of Yakuza to jump Kyon and Yuki so they are unable to use any of the supernatural powers and weapons both of them usually utilize in combat.
- Repetitive Name: Due to a research flub, the author has decided to go with this option for Sasaki's name, since it can be both a given name and a surname, and it's not clear which is it in the source material.
See the SOS Brigade Associates section.
"I could have motives you cannot fathom," he muttered. "You can make assumptions based on my previously observed behavior, but you can't prove my free will doesn't exist!"
A general description about Fujiwara's personality, motivations, etc.
"W...why are you ... helping me?"
A general description about Kyouko's personality, motivations, etc.
- Hero-Worshipper: Towards Koizumi. Haruhi comments that it would be better for their relationship if Kyouko drops this stance as soon as possible.
- I Have Your Wife: In a way, her superiors took her entire family hostage just to ensure her participation in the ambush against Kyon in Chapter 43. Apparently Kyouko herself requested their help because of Mori's indirect threat, leaving her in a precarious situation where the "protection" could be easily removed (or turned around) if she refused to comply.
- Kiss By Proxy: Just like Koizumi, her Psychic Link to Sasaki has this unwelcome side effect. Or not so much considering how she and Koizumi deal with the problem.
- Mindlink Mates: An implied case with Koizumi. At some point it's commented that for the most part Kyouko took Mori's place helping Koizumi to train his powernote . Chapter 55 suggests they usually keep the Psychic Link active when they're away from each other, if his regret and her subsequent anxiety at him having to let go the connection for a little while is any indication.
- New Transfer Student: Kyouko transfers to Kyon and Haruhi's class in Chapter 62.
- Rescue Romance: With Koizumi after he saves her from Fujiwara. Sasaki suggested that she's probably confusing love with gratitude which she easily refuted by pointed out that, by that logic, she should have fallen for Kyon instead, who mobilized the Tsuruya-gumi to the simultaneousnote coordinated rescue of the members of her family.
- Piggyback Cute: The "carrying an injured personnote " variant with Koizumi in Chapter 44. Kasai couldn't help but smirk at the sight.
- Psychic Link: It's revealed that Kyouko has the one-way version of this with Sasaki, allowing Kyouko to feel her emotional state. Largely irrelevant until the moment that Sasaki acknowledges her feelings for Kyon in late chapters which causes that her self-control to waver and allows more and more emotions to flow through the link.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Closely avoided. Her actions almost Ret Gone Kyon, which would have changed the actions of every person he has ever had an effect on. The consequences would have been so dire that Fujiwara tried to kill her for it.
"Aida-chan, buy this company."
A general description about Tsuruya Kenshiro's personality, motivations, etc.
A general description about Aida's personality, motivations, etc.
"I hold no further grudge," Kasai said politely, nodding. "Ultimately, blood paid for blood, and Tsuruya-san was protected throughout."
A general description about Kasai's personality, motivations, etc.
That cinched it, Kyon decided. Either she was a ninja, or any real ninja aspired to be as skilled as a Tsuruya family maid.
Shinobu is a maid that works for the Tsuruya family. She's also Tsuruya Haruka's maternal aunt.
"Oh, let me introduce you; this is Sakura-sensei, our family surgeon."
A general description about Sakura's personality, motivations, etc.
Mori Sonou and the Organization
"Are you sure this is wise, Sir?"
A general description about the Organization and its members.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Kasai.
- Let Me Get This Straight: In Chapter 26, a high-ranked member of the Organization questioned Itsuki's motives to side with the SOS Brigade instead of them by using this trope.
- Shame If Something Happened: Mori threatened Kyouko's grandfather during the Beach Episode to remind her to keep the masquerade up.
"The two of you are quite welcome," a cheerful voice from behind her noted, as an older woman in a modest one-piece swimsuit clapped a hand on Kyouko's shoulder. The twin-tailed girl stiffened, her face a forced smile barely concealing utter terror beneath. "We haven't had time to properly chat in a while, Kyouko-chan! How is your grandfather doing in Osaka?"
"He's f...fine, M...Mori-san," Kyouko stuttered, looking anxiously towards Sasaki.
See the SOS Brigade Associates section.
"Kyon-kun... you're not a martial artist, or a samurai. I think it's good that you stood up for your classmate, don't get me wrong. But at the same time... you can easily get in over your head. Neither your mother nor myself want to see you get hurt. And like any parents, we want you to be safe and happy."
A general description about Akane and Yuuto's personality, motivations, etc.
- Absurdly Youthful Parents: When Kyon was born his mother was 15 and his father was 16-17.
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Yuuto on occasions, especially after he got to see with his own eyes why Kyon is a renowned yakuza in Chapter 62.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: In the beginning, Akane hung around with Yuuto just to annoy her parents.
- Do Wrong, Right: After taking a passenger seat to Kyon's own brand of law-breaking driving skills and witnessing how he deals with a "job", Yuuto chews his son out in front of everyone present... for taking driving lessons behind his back, drifting improperly (actually the work of Haruhi's TK) and making a suboptimal time in the Car Chase. He then unilaterally decides to give him weekly lessons on the family techniques of "efficient" driving.
- Drives Like Crazy: Yuuto, apparently, especially when he's worried— like on his way to the hospital in Chapter 48.
- Friendless Background: Akane.
- Good Parents/Happily Married: Yuuto and Akane honestly struggle to keep their family stable and their children out of trouble. When they are shown antagonistic to the SOS Brigade it's because they aren't told all the facts including the supernatural, because they fear their children's actions will lead them to similar errors that they made, or because Kyon or his sister were in real danger.
- Maternity Crisis: When Kyon was born, Akane went into labor during Watanagashi ceremony and gave birth on the stairs leading to the shrine. Just to make things worse, due to the symbolism of the ritual and her personal circumstances, some people considered that the newborn baby represented the embodiment her mother's sins.
- My Beloved Smother: Kyon accidentally uses the trope by name when referring to his mom while speaking with his Aunt Rika.
- My Secret Pregnancy: Akane hid her first pregnancy from everybody in her hometown. She didn't even get the chance to tell Yuuto because he stopped visiting Hinamizawa for a few months and he only learned about it when he returned for Watanagashi and found her just before going into labor in the middle of the ceremony.
- Older Than They Look: Much like her daughter, in her teens Kyon's mother looked younger than she was.
- Overprotective Dad: Yuuto in regards to Nonoko. There's a reason for it.
- Parental Obliviousness:
- Kyon's parents are told, point-blank, that their son replaced a schoolmate's fully trained bodyguard with years of experience who got injured in the job. They don't appear to think why the schoolmate needs protection or how their son got the skills to replace the bodyguard without being injured himself. This despite the fact that the still visibly injured bodyguard is standing right in front of them during the scene where they're told this.
- Some time later Kyon's sister tells his dad that her brother had lost his smile in middle school due to Sasaki's overzealous deconstruction of every single trope she meets and Haruhi "fixed" him. Her father hadn't realized.
- Selective Obliviousness: Akane refuses to acknowledge the possibility that her son had to get into fights because of Tsuruya (by replacing her injured bodyguard), and instead became a Shipper on Deck between them. That was days after scolding Kyon because of getting into fights.
- Shipper on Deck: Kyon's parents want to ship him with Tsuruya via Arranged Marriage.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Akane is uptight and controlling who worries when her children break the rules, even for a good reason. Keiichi is laid back and is a lawyer for friendly Yakuza.
- Averted in their backstory. Just like Keiichi before arriving Hinamizawa, as a teenager Akane got into some serious problems.
- Shotgun Wedding: In Mion's words, Yuuto was "persuaded" to marry Akane.
- Surprise Pregnancy: In her backstory, it took a while for Akane to realize she was pregnant of Kyon due to a mix of ignorance and her lack of physical growth, compounded by a Friendless Background and a strained relationship with her parents.
- Teen Pregnancy: Akane was fifteen when Kyon was born. Yuuto was implied to be around the same age.
- You Need to Get Laid: In Chapter 17, Shion commented to Keiichi that his sister going to a hotel once or twice a week would make her much happier.
Kyon's extended family
"Really, though, trust us on this one. Good friends are worth more than their weight in gold."
A general description about the Higurashi: When They Cry
cast, their personalities, motivations, etc.
"And he just ran out of class? Amazing! That guy's hot-blooded for sure! He is one bad mother—"
"Shut your mouth!" Yanagimoto snapped in irritation, before Taniguchi got himself in trouble.
A general description about Kyon and Haruhi's class.
- Beta Couple: Yanagimoto describes Taniguchi's attempts to describe their relationship as one.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Kanae and Kunikida think that Yanagimoto and Taniguchi are trying to invoke this.
- Genre Blindness: Sakanaka-san, the owner of Rousseau the terrier, demonstrates this to a devastating level (given a certain genre the fic has incorporated). In Chapter 33, she pulls Haruhi out of class to embarrassedly tell her that she thinks Kyon likes Haruhi.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Taniguchi's future 'voice acting' job requires him to be eighteen. Given what we all know about Taniguchi, it's kinda obvious what kind of job that is...
- Gossipy Hen/Malicious Slander: Yanagimoto has a talent for gossip and spreads several rumors about Haruhi and Kyon throughout the school during Tsuruya's investigation. However, most of the rumors she spreads are fed to her through Yamane Jun. She stops once she learns the rumors are false, and also as an apology to Kyon and Haruhi.
- Large Ham: In Chapter 33, Taniguchi suddenly stands up during lunch and proclaimed across the classroom that he would improve his grades if Yanagimoto studied with him. Then, he spewed a flowery speech about his quest for better grades, much to Haruhi and Kunikida's amusement.
Idol Research Club
But then, the others in the club had found out, and it had become an opportunity to become something larger, more profitable.... Money wasn't the most important thing in the world, but it helped. And making that money established connections. He just needed to wait for it all to pan out....
A general description about the idol research club and its members (Yamane Jun, Ryuguu Ryo, Manabe Satoshi and Daimonji)
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Yamane Jun, due to being infected by the data remains of Asakura, tried to kill Kyon. Bizarrely, the brainwashing was completely unintended and it's dubious if the brainwasher even knew of its existence.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: From all the members of the photography ring, Daimonji was the least scathed after its break. He was also the only one who decided to surrender himself and give all the information he knew when asked so he could have a better way out, as shown in Chapter 10.
- Oh, Crap: Yamane after realizing Yanagimoto led Kyon to his clubroom and he just opened the door.
- Stalker with a Crush: Yamane Jun for Asakura Ryouko, until she "moved to Canada."
"Your civilization will fall — like the others. The greatest resistance we have ever seen with an active portal storm was seven hours, and I strongly doubt you'll do better."
A general description about the Combine.
"I will stop that thing, Kyon! I will rescue my sister! I swear on my good name — Michikyuu Wataru!"
A general description about Wataru's personality, motivations, etc.
The Integrated Data Sentient Entity (IDSE)
Within that observation space of the physical — this force/slope/function was determined to be a function of entropy. It defined a concept the entity could not contain within it. Through constant observation, bringing the entirety of its being back into that 'past' and causing it to always have been that way, it found that there were finite limits to its ability to improve itself.
A general description about the IDSE.
- Crazy-Prepared: It had prepared various tools for theoretical encounters, one of the tools happened to be a dimensional anchor. Kanae uses it for slider training.
- Humanity Is Infectious: This is the main reason the IDSE decided to delete Yuki.
- In Chapter 27, Yuki notes that there was evidence to suggest that the IDSE living humanoid interfaces may in fact be a defiance to this trope, being intended as insulative measures to protect the entity from contamination.
The how was something she couldn't understand, so she just accepted that it appeared to happen, and focused instead on the why.
A general description about Miyuki's personality, motivations, etc.
- Christmas Cake: According to source material, Miyuki should be 32/33 years old at the time K:BDH is set. Unlike her canon counterpart, this version of Miyuki is pretty much Married to the Job and remains single.
- Hero Antagonist: She is portrayed as a competent and experienced NPA Officer, respected by her peers and possible candidate to replace the department chief's current aide. However, her current case happened to be Kyon's murder attempt. She's eager to Pull the Thread.
- Inspector Javert: She gives great importance to investigating Kyon and SOS Brigade's relation to Yakuza.
- I Want Grandkids: Miyuki is frequently encouraged by her parents (particularly her mother) to "settle down and provide grandchildren". She even prefers to go against her workaholic nature in their presence so to not provoke them into a lecture that most likely will involve this trope sooner than later.
- To Be Lawful or Good: By Chapter 61, she's stuck in this predicament on whether she should let Kyon go free for working with the Yakuza, or close/leave the case and potentially prevent him from stopping some heavily armed supernatural danger. After hearing how her father went through a similar experience, she seems to have come to the conclusion to be Good.
Takahashi and the Family
"Do your part, and there will be nothing to worry about."
A general description about "The Family" and their members.
- A list of characterization tropes associated with the Family, separated by bullets.
"However, what you don't understand is that the money is also trivial compared to our proper businesses. It is, at best, a semi-lucrative sideline. We are businessmen, and we act professionally."
A general description about the Fujiya-tachi and its members (Fujiya Masao, Watanabe Daichi, Maruyama Iyouji)
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: In Chapter 21, when Masao realizes the trouble Watanabe got into with the law for shooting Kyon, he steeples his hands and asks the messenger, Iyouji, to apologize on his behalf. Subverted because Masao honestly wants to apologize, even if he has to play this trope straight because of his work.
- Deadly Euphemism: Iyouji in Heroic Antics Begin, Arc 5 who, while he had no practice experience, knew about the theory about how to deal with certain girl: 'subdue' her, drug her, ship her off to someone who could find a 'use' for her, and never speak of it again.
- Insistent Terminology: They refuse to say that Kyon kicked someone's ass. He "chastized" them, he "rebuffed" them, etc.
- Tranquil Fury: Masao, after having all of his subordinates flattened in a fight. Nothing came of it.
- Unusual Euphemism: Masao's men, as told by Iyouji, didn't get into a fight, they had an encounter with an opposite faction. In the same vein his men weren't beaten into a pulp in those encounters, they were subdued or sternly chastised depending of the gravity of their injuries.
"Um, Kyon," she blurted out, looking up and locking eyes with him, her gaze watery and shimmering, her cheeks glowing with a blush, "when you have a nickname, are you stuck with it forever!?"
A general description about Miyoko's personality, motivations, etc.
- Afraid of Blood: She wants to be a doctor or nurse when she grows up, so she constantly watches bloody horror movies to build up her resistance. As it turns out, resistance to seeing it in fiction has no effect on her ability to deal with it in real life.
- Foil: To Kyon. She doesn't want to be stuck with a nickname (which was given to her by her uncle) and her first love was her older cousin, who ran off with Kyon's older cousin that he had a crush on (and in case you didn't know, Kyon got his nickname from his aunt).note She also hangs out with Nonoko, who Kyon even describes as a younger version of Haruhi.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Is really afraid of this happening to her.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: When asking Kyon to see a movie in Chapter 12.
- Shy Finger Twiddling: Before she asks Kyon about being stuck with a nickname.
The bareheaded officer scowled, tugging his hat on properly. "Takahara, I don't see why I can't just tell that NPA bi—"
"Enough, Toji!" the older officer barked at his young colleague. "Don't piss her off, and don't badmouth her — that's what we call a career limiting move. You want a promotion? Behave yourself!"
A general description about other characters.
- A list of characterization tropes associated with other characters, separated by bullets.