open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The show Doraemon frequently uses this. You'd think with 2,000 gadgets the main characters have plenty of things to defeat the enemies with, but as it turns out all the useful things are broken and being repaired.
- A Fairy Tail omake has Lucy and Happy go try to exterminate poisonous rats in an old mansion. However, their only tool is a fly swatter, as Happy is in spaz mode and Lucy forgot the keys she needs to use her summoning magic.
- Happens three times in fairly close proximity in Dragon Ball Super: The first time the heroes faced Goku Black, Goku forgot to bring the Senzu Beans, forcing them to retreat when they all got injured. Later, the heroes decide that the best way to deal with the immortal Zamasu is to trap him using the Mafuba (Evil Containment Wave) technique, but when they arrive in the future, Goku Black blasts the time machine...with the jar they need still inside because Goku forgot to bring it with him. Future Trunks manages to repair the jar with superglue and uses the Mafuba, but unfortunately for them, Goku also forgot the Paper Talisman (this time leaving it at Kame House in the main timeline).
- At one occasion in Kyon: Big Damn Hero, Kyon forgets his coat and weapons after leaving for school in a hurry. It becomes critical when the Combine attack the school, and causes Nonoko's temporary Magical Girl upgrade.
- This Friendship Is Magic fan comic gives an explanation on why the Mane Cast didn't take Sombra down within 10 seconds of meeting him.
Films — Animated
- Megamind: The villainous main character has a weapon that would easily defeat his opponent... but he left it in the car... which is invisible... and he can't remember where he left it.
- Aladdin: Al left Genie's lamp in his room to go looking for Jasmine and before he knew it, the Evil Chancellor had taken over and sent him to places that 9th-century Arabs didn't even know existed!
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Magical Movie Night: In "Movie Magic", the human Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle were the only members of the group who brought the amulets that allow them to use their powers. As a result, catching a thief is made a bit harder. After this incident, the other girls resolve to wear their amulets more often.
Films — Live-Action
- Serenity: "It'd sure be nice to have some grenades right about now..."
Mal: Tell me you brought them this time.(Jayne throws some grenades.)
- Made funnier by the fact the captain made him leave them behind in the first place.
- Jarringly played in The Giant Spider Invasion, where the two science types come up with a machine to Reverse the Polarity and send the spiders back to their home dimension or something, but on the way to use it against the spiders, they realize they forgot it at the lab and have to go back.
- Deadpool has lots of guns, as shown in a Lock and Load Montage, at the ready for when he's ready to kill Francis and save Vanessa... which he forgets in the cab that he takes to the final confrontation.
- In A Brother's Price Jerin gets into a situation where he is in danger of being raped, but he didn't think that would happen, so he left his Chastity Dagger behind.
- Subverted in Dragon Bones. Ward gets into a tricky situation. Should be no problem, because one of his companions is a powerful mage? The problem is, the mage has no idea where Ward is. However, Ward still has that ring, to which the mage is enslaved (ancient magic, Ward didn't do it himself, he just inherited the ring). He tries to call Oreg, who indeed arrives, in a rather bad condition as he can't spend time away from his master ... not comfortably, at least. However, he recovers and then helps them escape.
Live Action TV
- In a classic Doctor Who episode, the Doctor and Sarah Jane are locked in a prison cell, and are trying to open the door. When Sarah Jane suggests using the sonic screwdriver, the Doctor tells her, "It's in the TARDIS," and she groans.
- Barely averted in the Stargate SG-1 episode "Avenger 2.0". Felger and Sam go to an alien planet to deliver an antivirus that would solve the problem of the week. At the last minute, Felger's assistant Chloe stops him to remind him to actually bring the CD that the antivirus was on.
- In one Animaniacs episode, Wakko and Dr. Scratchensniff get stuck in the elevator. Scratchy suggests to Wakko that he "pull something big and silly from your gaggy bag" to help them. Wakko responds that he didn't bring it.
- Futurama - Love's Labours Lost in Space: Bender forgets to replenish the ship's dark matter fuel. Luckily it turns out their newly aquired Team Pet Nibbler excretes it.