"People say I talk too much."
"Yeah, I was just about to tell you to
A Stock Phrase
said from a character who may often border on The Stoic
to one who is rather chatty or Motor Mouthed
. Typically delivered as a punchline to the end of a long spiel or complaint made by the latter character. Also occasionally used to Shut Up, Hannibal!
A romantic variant has this line followed up by a "Shut Up" Kiss
- All in the Family: Archie regarded himself as the family's spokesperson and didn't like it when others — especially Edith — tried to interject, especially if it were to the contrary to what Archie wanted to convey. He'd always do a "shaddup" or a "stifle yourself" if he thought they were talking too much.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:
Odo: I think I finally figured out what crime you were found guilty of on your world.
Croden: What's that?
Odo: You talk too much.
- Everyone on Gul Dukat - not even his "allies" can resist. Cardassians in general love to monologue, but this guy spent what must have been hours recording automated messages in the event of a slave rebellion back when he ran DS9.
Sisko: I never knew how much this man's voice annoyed me.
Kira: Commander Sisko was right, you are in love with the sound of your own voice.
Weyoun: Perhaps if you didn't talk so much, your throat wouldn't get so dry.
Garak: (in a prison camp) Ah, good, you look like the man in charge. I was just trying to explain to your colleagues that this is all an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Ikat'ika: Cardassians are all alike. (grabs him by the throat) You talk too much.
- Star Trek: Voyager:
- In "Threshold", even losing his tongue doesn't stop Tom Paris from rambling away.
Tom: Dothtor, I neeth to talk!
Doctor: So I've noticed.
Cullah: You talk too much, Federation, but you're not telling me what I need to know.
- Power Rangers RPM: Tenaya 7 and Ziggy are fighting over the Series Green morpher. She's a super-powered cyborg who can take on actual Rangers and he...isn't, but she wastes too much time gloating.
Tenaya: Now I will bond with your Series Green and destroy the Power Rangers from within. I will become the final stage of techno-awareness -
Ziggy: You talk too much. (Grabs morpher).
- Angel. This happens whenever Cordelia is captured, and usually leads to her being Bound and Gagged. She doesn't stop. A vampire that Angel once sired is monologuing away, saying that just because Angel has stopped being evil, doesn't mean he's going to stop as well. "It doesn't end, it just goes on and on." Cordelia does a Walk In Chime In. "That's not the only thing that goes on, and on."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "As You Were", Spike starts ranting at Buffy and her former love interest Riley Finn.
Riley: Can't you shut him up?
Buffy: Not so far.
- When Castle gets Taylor Swift tickets delivered to him at the precinct, he explains that they're a surprise gift for his daughter. "Apparently, she and Ash have a song." Beckett tells him that the two of them also have a song - "You Talk Too Much" by Clarence Carter.
- Not played for laughs in the 1995 Australian mini-series Blue Murder, when hitman Neddy Smith says it to crooked lawyer Brian Alexander just before he's thrown overboard while tied to a stove. Alexander is pleading for his life at the time, and was being murdered because he was believed to have been about to testify at the Stewart Royal Commission into Drug Trafficking.
- Game of Thrones. In "Second Sons", Queen Danearys meets with the three sellsword captains opposing her, in an attempt to talk them into changing sides. Later, back at their camp:
Prendahl: That dragon bitch, she talks too much.
Daario: You talk too much.
Meto: She won't talk so much when she's choking on my cock.
Manga and Anime
- A sci-fi short story involved a composer who goes to a planet where the aliens don't speak, assuming he'll have a quiet place to compose a symphony. Unfortunately the aliens communicate through vibration, so the minute he starts pounding on his piano they charge into his room and haul him off to the embassy, where he's shoved onto the next rocketship back to Earth. The story ends with the outraged composer demanding to know what's going on. A laconic spaceman replies, "They say you talk too much!"
- Often exchanged between Rephaim and Stevie Rae in The House of Night.
- Used many times by one wrestler who interrupts an opponent's promo. Usually, he won't yell "Shut up!" or "You talk too much," but he'll simply start beating up his opponent.
- Legend has it that during the planning and rehearsal sessions for the WWF-vs.-NFL players battle royal at WrestleMania 2, former Atlanta Falcons offensive guard Bill Fralic was randomly making suggestions and comments ... and only succeeded in clearly getting on everybody's nerves. André the Giant – who was leading the discussion but was gladly accepting input from others – took note of this and finally, when he had enough, told him, "Bill, you talk too much!" According to the story, Fralic rarely participated again in the planning.
- In Mass Effect 2, Grunt tells you that "Humans talk too much" if you try to talk to him before you've unlocked his next conversation.
- On Mordin's loyalty mission, a Krogan goes on for about a minute about their plan for great revenge on the other races while standing on a platform directly above an inflammable gas tank, during which the Renegade Interrupt button taunts you the entire time. Click it and...
: You talk too much. *BLAM*
[the gas pipe under the speaker explodes]
- Dragon Age II: a sarcastic Hawke will describe him/herself this way while confronting a slaver.
"I'd make a terrible slave. I talk too much." (pulls a knife) "And I do that."
- In Guilty Gear, Baiken says this to Ky Kiske in her win quote against him and states that she doesn't care about his strong sense of justice.
Baiken: Blah blah blah! You talk too much! Does anyone actually give a crap about your ridiculous sense of justice? I know I sure don't.
- Asura from Asura's Wrath says this if you punch Wyzen mid speech. "You talk too much!"
- Mondo says this to David, in his second encounter in Killer is Dead.