"People say I talk too much."
"Yeah, I was just about to tell you to shut up
A Stock Phrase
said from a character who may often border on The Stoic
to one who is rather chatty or Motor Mouthed
. Typically delivered as a punchline to the end of a long spiel or complaint made by the latter character. Also occasionally used to Shut Up, Hannibal!
A romantic variant has this line followed up by a "Shut Up" Kiss
- On Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, episode "Vortex", the, in terms of character, very solid and immutable Odo (from a species of liquid form changlings) meets the exiled conman Croden.
Odo: I think I finally figured out what crime you were found guilty of on your world.
Croden: What's that?
Odo: You talk too much.
- Everyone on Gul Dukat - not even his "allies" can resist. Cardassians in general love to monologue, but this guy spent what must have been hours recording automated messages in the event of a slave rebellion back when he ran DS9.
Sisko: I never knew how much this man's voice annoyed me.
Kira: Commander Sisko was right, you are in love with the sound of your own voice.
Weyoun: Perhaps if you didn't talk so much, your throat wouldn't get so dry.
Garak: (in a prison camp) Ah, good, you look like the man in charge. I was just trying to explain to your colleagues that this is all an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Ikat'ika: Cardassians are all alike. (grabs him by the throat) You talk too much.
- Power Rangers RPM: Tenaya 7 and Ziggy are fighting over the Series Green morpher. She's a super-powered cyborg who can take on actual Rangers and he...isn't, but she wastes too much time gloating.
Tenaya: Now I will bond with your Series Green and destroy the Power Rangers from within. I will become the final stage of techno-awareness -
Ziggy: You talk too much. (Grabs morpher).
- Angel. This happens whenever Cordelia is captured, and usually leads to her being Bound and Gagged. She doesn't stop.
- When Castle gets Taylor Swift tickets delivered to him at the precinct, he explains that they're a surprise gift for his daughter. "Apparently, she and Ash have a song." Beckett tells him that the two of them also have a song - "You Talk Too Much" by Clarence Carter.
- Not played for laughs in the 1995 Australian mini-series Blue Murder, when hitman Neddy Smith says it to crooked lawyer Brian Alexander just before he's thrown overboard while tied to a stove. Alexander is pleading for his life at the time, and was being murdered because he was believed to have been about to testify at the Stewart Royal Commission into Drug Trafficking.
- Game of Thrones. In "Second Sons" Queen Danearys meets with the three sellsword captains opposing her, in an attempt to talk them into changing sides.
Prendahl: That dragon bitch, she talks too much.
Daario: You talk too much.
Meto: She won't talk so much when she's choking on my cock.
Manga and Anime
- A sci-fi short story involved a composer who goes to a planet where the aliens don't speak, assuming he'll have a quiet place to compose a symphony. Unfortunately the aliens communicate through vibration, so the minute he starts pounding on his piano they charge into his room and haul him off to the embassy, where he's shoved onto the next rocketship back to Earth. The final lines has the outraged composer demanding to know what's going on. A laconic spaceman replies, "They say you talk too much!"
- Often exchanged between Rephaim and Stevie Rae in The House of Night.
- In Mass Effect 2, Grunt tells you that "Humans talk too much" if you try to talk to him before you've unlocked his next conversation.
- On Mordin's loyalty mission, a Krogan goes on for about a minute about their plan for great revenge on the other races while standing on a platform directly above an inflammable gas tank, during which the Renegade Interrupt button taunts you the entire time. Click it and...
: You talk too much. *BLAM*
[the gas pipe under the speaker explodes]
- Dragon Age II: a sarcastic Hawke will describe him/herself this way while confronting a slaver.
"I'd make a terrible slave. I talk too much." (pulls a knife) "And I do that."
- In Guilty Gear, Baiken says this to Ky Kiske in her win quote against him and states that she doesn't care about his strong sense of justice.
Baiken: Blah blah blah! You talk too much! Does anyone actually give a crap about your ridiculous sense of justice? I know I sure don't.
- Asura from Asura's Wrath says this if you punch Wyzen mid speech. "You talk too much!"