Fan Fic / Sonic X: Dark Chaos
A fanfiction by Eric Neo Matrix. It can be found here
at ff.net and on the author's DeviantArt page
. Originally titled The Mystery of Tsali
, the story was revised several times over the next few years and eventually renamed Dark Chaos
. It is currently in the middle of another revision, which the author has stated will be the final and definitive version on the story.
The story is a full remake of the third and final season of Sonic X
. When a young alien girl crashes on their world, Sonic and his friends discover that she is being hunted by a powerful new foe; an android
fox known as Tsali the Ultimate Weapon, who has declared genocide on her people and hunted them down to extinction for reasons unknown. Our heroes go into space to stop this new enemy and find the Chaos Emeralds.
And from there, things get From Bad to Worse
, much worse
Sonic and his friends find themselves in a galaxy engulfed in a cruel civil war between an enormous empire
led by Lord Maledict
and the Metarex
, and threatened by invasion from the ancient enemies of the Demons, the Angel Federation
. But as Sonic and friends soon discover, there are far greater horrors
than mere demons and angels beyond the void.
What makes it somewhat unique among Sonic fanfiction is its complex, extremely dark
, and Troperiffic Science Fantasy
setting, combining themes from sources
as varied as Warhammer 40,000
, the Metroid
games, the works of H.P. Lovecraft
, and death metal
Now has a work-in-progress character sheet
This story contains examples of:
- Abusive Precursors: The Forerunners were an alien collective charged by Maledict and Allysion to populate the new universe 500 trillion years in the past, but they rebelled and were sealed beyond the realms of time and space. Ancient prophecy says that they will return and bring about the end times. In Ending A, they succeed.
- Alternate Universe
- Angels, Devils and Squid
- Artistic License – Religion: Apparently, being a Muslim makes you into a bloodthirsty, mass-murdering pedophile - all of them (other than Abduhl) are basically every single negative stereotype about Islam taken Up to Eleven. To the point where it actually gets somewhat ridiculous.
- Being a Christian or Jew also turns you into a racist pedophile fundamentalist.
- All Myths Are True: The story takes the idea of biblical literalism and turns it completely on its head.
- Bad Ass: Pretty much everyone.
- Bad Boss: Surprisingly, Maledict mostly subverts this. Despite his manipulative tendencies, he genuinely cares about the people he rules over and has great fondness for his servants. Just don't attempt to betray his trust.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: A core trope of the story. Not only Jesus, but Satan, Muhammed, all the angels, and a large majority of the Jewish prophets from the Old Testament were as well.
- Bittersweet Ending: Tails is dead, but Dark Tails is defeated and the universe is saved. And then the Forerunners return.
- An alternate ending changes it a bit where Tails survives, the Metarex War ends, and the Forerunners invasion is diverted, but Dark Tails is still alive.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Tsali, Maledict, and Dark Tails. Jesus and Allysion could also possibly be counted.
- Big Damn Heroes: Several times throughout the series.
- Venus the Seedrian fends off Dark Tails and rescues Tails and Cosmo in Episode 62.
- Eggman distracts Beelzebub in Episode 67, allowing the heroes to escape with Cosmo and Chris in tow.
- Black Comedy Rape: Cosmo almost suffers this in Episode 67 at the hands of Beelzebub. Chris isn't so lucky.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Astorath is one of these.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Dark Tails can turn sentient beings mad by speaking to them. This is also a side effect of exposure to Dark Chaos Energy.
- Broken Bird: Poor, poor Cosmo. Cream becomes one too.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Maledict's response to Cosmo's "The Reason You Suck" Speech before the final battle, combined with Hannibal Lecture.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Eggman saves Sonic's life, then he betrays Sonic, then he teams up with and betrays Sonic again, then he saves several of Sonic's friends from Beelzebub, he briefly joins with Maledict, and then he attempts to betray Maledict and gets himself captured in the process before once more teaming up with Sonic.
- Rouge pretty much doesn't care what side she's on. She originally helps Eggman, then she betrays him to serve Maledict for jewel payments, then she helps Sonic and friends before betraying them to Maledict, then she betrays Maledict and joins with Eggman again.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Sonic and his friends find a video of the Chaotix being tortured by Maledict and Beelzebub.
- Episode 67 is pretty much an episode consisting of this trope inflicted on Cosmo and Chris.
- Cool Starship: Both the Blue Typhoon and the Dreadnought, but many Demon warships are described in detail as as well.
- Cruel Twist Ending: Just like its source material, this doesn't end happily. Only this time, it's Tails who bites it. And Ending B takes this trope Up to Eleven.
- Crapsack World: As if the introduction didn't get that part across.
- Curbstomp Battle: The battle between Maledict and Super Sonic/Super Shadow/Super Eric in Episode 64 ends up being one of these. Even in their most powerful forms, the heroes are unable to harm the Devil at all.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Tsali is this trope to the point of Deconstruction.
- Venus the Seedrian is a literal example. Maledict takes her soul as part of an actual Deal with the Devil. Although he gives her great power in exchange, he curses her to slowly and painfully become a machine just like Tsali.
- Darker and Edgier: The third season of Sonic X was dark on its own, and this fic takes it to the extreme. Much of the galaxy is in ruins, torn about by civil war and malevolent gods. Numerous characters die and there is loads of graphic violence.
- Deal with the Devil: Since the devil is an actual character, this is quite common.
- Dark Oak is following the advice and orders of the mysterious M who is actually Maledict.
- Tsali, nearly killed during the nuclear annihilation of Seedrius, sold himself to Maledict for revenge. The Devil gave him permission to destroy the Metarex and plunder the galaxy without fear of punishment. Tsali doesn't find out the price until later.
- Venus the Seedrian prayed to Maledict for the power to defend her race from Tsali. He answered, although not in the way she expected.
- Deconstruction Fic: Particularly in the rewrite, the story heavily deconstructs many religion and Sonic-related tropes.
- Demoted to Extra: The Metarex are just one of the many different factions fighting over the galaxy. The Chaotix, Dr. Eggman, and even Sonic himself are hit badly with this, although the rewrite is adding many more scenes with them and developing them a bit more. Somewhat justified in the case of the Metarex; after Episode 64, their military power has been completely shattered and their leaders go into hiding.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Tsali was tortuously turned into a combat android by Cosmo's father Luke in order to stop the Demon invasion of the Seedrian homeworld. His response? Exterminating the entire Seedrian race by himself and hunting the survivors across the galaxy - and leaving most of the galaxy in ruins.
- Live on a planet controlled by the Demon Empire? If the Angels attack your world, they exterminate you and the entire population outright simply because you're "living in sin" according to them.
- Doomsday Device: The Galaxy Crusher, a Demon super weapon capable of obliterating whole galaxies by collapsing the black holes forming their centers. Although mothballed by Maledict long ago, Beelzebub reactivates it without his permission.
- Eldritch Abomination: Dark Tails full stop. Powered by Dark Chaos Energy? Check. Enough power to cleanse whole planets of life? Check. Can drive other beings completely insane by speaking to them? Check.
- The Empire: The Demon Empire rules half of the entire universe; in the distant past, it ruled all of it. Bloated and autocratic, it is nonetheless the main governing body of the setting. The Milky Way lays on its frontier.
- Enemy Mine: Tsali betrays Maledict and teams up with Sonic when he finds out Maledict had been manipulating him from the start and ordered the destruction of his original homeworld.
- Eternal Recurrence: Maledict and Allysion have fought over the galaxy many times before... and they will do so again.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Loads of them.
- Cosmo's older sister Galaxina has her head shoved into a ruptured fuel line by Tsali.
- Venus commits suicide by impaling herself on one of her own thorn-covered vine tentacles in order to break Dark Tails' control.
- Tails gets the most unfriendly death of them all during the final battle.
- The Federation: The Angel Federation, led by Allysion and Jesus Desjiliac Christos, was originally a group that rebelled against the Demons in ancient times. The Federation also composes two other nations, the Israeli Republic of the Tribes and the Emirate of Mecca. The Emirate and Republic are often at each other's throats; only the Angels keep them together against their common enemy.
- Forever War: Exaggerated with the conflict between the Demon Empire and Angel Federation. It's actually called the Eternal War in-universe.
- Gambit Roulette: The entire Metarex war is part of a gigantic gambit by Maledict to conquer the universe by creating an "Ultimate" creature strong enough to defeat the Angels. To do this, he started a diplomatic incident to start a war between the Demons and Seedrians, and then he made sure the young Tsali survived the destruction of his homeworld. Then as the conflict escalated, he used a spy to convince Luke to turn Tsali into a Chaos-powered robot, and then had him alter Tsali's programming. In the process, Tsali would go completely beserk and destroy the Seedrians from within, and then Maledict would take him under his guidance so he could be turned on the Angels. Then when the Metarex began to appear, he sent Tsali to defeat them. And to ensure that Tsali ''would'' defeat them, Maledict created an alter-ego known as "M" so he could secretly control the Metarex and lead them to their own destruction.
- God and Satan Are Both Jerks: Where to even begin?
- Heroic Sacrifice: Both played straight and inverted in Episode 77. Tails is forced to sacrifice himself to defeat Dark Tails and save the universe and Cosmo is the one who fires the Sonic Driver at him. Ending D subverts it where Tails survives and stops Dark Tails' plan without the sacrifice, but Dark Tails also narrowly survives.
- Killed Off for Real: Molly, Alice, Venus, Trinity, and Tails.
- Love Redeems: Cosmo convinces Tsali and the Metarex to end their conflict in the last episode, helping them both realize that their lust for revenge destroyed themselves and brought nothing but pain and suffering to the galaxy.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Maledict created numerous "Ultimate" creatures to find a way to defeat the Angels. His first attempt resulted in Shadow, but when Gerald Robotnik discovered Maledict's true plan, he attempted to sabotage the project. After the ARK incident, Maledict abandoned Project Shadow completely and began Project Sonic, resulting in the birth of Sonic the Hedgehog. However, after discovering that the hedgehog only inherited the Devil's super speed, Maledict — fond of his failed creation — shot the infant Sonic in a capsule to Mobius, deciding to spare Sonic's life and allow him to make his own future. He decided to use Tsali as his next subject instead of a hedgehog, kicking off the events of the story.
- Mood Whiplash: All over the place, but most notable in Episode 65. The chapter ends with a romantic, heartwarming scene between Cosmo and Tails — and then it cuts to Jesus launching the Angel invasion of the galaxy.
- Morality Kitchen Sink
- Sonic and his friends are firmly white, along with Eric and his own crew.
- Maledict and his servants are dark grey. While they have genuine goals and motivations like order and peace, they cleanse whole planets and even entire galaxies if it suits them.
- Tsali is black at first.
- Venus and Tephiroth are both lighter shades of grey.
- The Metarex are grey too, mostly because they have entirely different motivations from their canon counterparts. Rather than cleansing the galaxy of animal life, they simply wish to gain freedom from the Demons so they can rebuild their race.
- Multiple Endings: The rewrite has four of them. Ending A is the original ending. Endings B and C are huge downers, and Ending D is the "good" ending. The author also created a joke "Ending E" where Eric the Hedgehog was the mastermind behind literally everything, deletes everyone else from the story, and decides to start over.
- Nuke 'em: Cosmo's mother Hertia nuked her own home planet into oblivion to stop Tsali. It didn't work.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Dark Tails whishes to recreate the entire universe in his own image by corrupting it with Dark Chaos Energy. Of course, this puts him at odds with Maledict and Allysion — who both want to do the same thing in their own images.
- Only a Flesh Wound: When Tails refuses to hand over Cosmo to him in Episode 73, Tsali throws him to the floor and graphically rips his heart and lungs out of his chest. Tails responds by turning into Shroud Tails, immediately regenerates his wounds, and retaliates in kind.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Sonic keeps an inscribed amulet in a desk in his quarters. It's not until later that he finds out that the amulet was given to him by Maledict when he was created and that the writing reveals Maledict is Sonic's progenitor.
- Physical God: Maledict the Devil is one of the creators of the whole universe and is essentially omnipotent. Allysion is as well, although the "physical" part is debatable.
- Plant Aliens: Cosmo and the Metarex.
- Sequel Hook
- Shipper on Deck: In Episode 65, Team Chaotix try to get Tails and Cosmo together just like the regular episode. And just like the regular episode, all of their attempts fail. Tails and Cosmo do get together, though.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: The Chaotix essentially disappear after Episode 65, until they show up for the final battle.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Several of the episodes end up like this, but Episode 68 is probably the most notable. Tsali steals the Chaos Emerald and murders Molly, and then a Demon fleet glasses the planet from orbit.
- Shout-Out: Beelzebub has a guitar called "Fuckslayer".
- Sliding Scale of Silliness Versus Seriousness: Somewhere in the middle. While the story itself is (usually) treated quite seriously, the background material and setting is so blatantly tongue-in-cheek that the tongue goes right through the cheek.
- Sins of Our Fathers: As revealed in chapter 22, Tsali has been after Cosmo because because her father Lucas made him into what he is now. Tails points out that Cosmo is not guilty of her father's crimes, but Tsali responds that she carries her father's blood, and that's enough for him.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Episode 63. Tsali is finally cornered and on the verge of defeat. Cue Maledict himself appearing to face Sonic personally.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Tails gets one, although eventually he gains full control of it and keeps his normal personality.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Shadow's reaction to Tsali insulting Maria in Episode 63.
- Pretty much everyone's reaction to Tsali murdering Molly after promising he would release her in exchange for the Chaos Emerald in Episode 68 and then calling in an entire Demon fleet to destroy the planet they're on.
- Time Skip: An indeterminate amount of time passes between many of the episodes.
- Took a Level in Badass: Cosmo, especially compared to the original series. She protects Tails from Tsali, gives a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the Devil himself, and ends up commanding the Blue Typhoon during the final episodes.
- Tails is the biggest recipient of badass levels, to the point where he quickly enters Mary Sue territory with all the transformations and powers he gains over the course of the series. Not only does he command the Blue Typhoon, he gains control over Chaos powers as well. The rewrite tones it down considerably due to reviewer complaints.
- Tragic Keepsake: Sonic finds a shred of Tails's glove after the final battle.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: Sonic awakens after his fight with Tsali to find himself on a bed inside Dr Eggman's base. Turned out that the good doctor saved him from almost certain death and allowed him to recover his health during the week that he was comatose.
- War Is Hell: Many of the planets Sonic and his friends land on have been reduced to wastelands by the Metarex conflict. A number of other planets are destroyed by the various factions during the story itself.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Maledict, in many more ways than one. He's willing to unleash horrific atrocities upon millions to keep peace in the Demon Empire and stop the Metarex uprising. The Angels are not much better.
- The Metarex are completely re-imagined as an organization of these.
- Wham Line: "They are coming". Doubles as The Stinger.
- World of Ham
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Sonic and his friends go off into space expecting to find their Planet Egg, beat up Tsali and the bad guys, and return home as heroes. They don't realize the kind of tale they're really in until much later.