This page lists the characters of Zaregoto and their associated tropes.
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
Zaregototsukai. 19 years old at the start of the series when he returned from Houston, America to Kyoto. Student of Rokumeikan Private University.
- Catchphrase: "Zaregoto da." Translation
- Mystery Magnet
- No Name Given: His real name remains unknown to the reader but several people in-story do know it. It is said only Kunagisa and his sister ever called him by his real name. There is a riddle he told Hagihara Shiogi in Hanging High School. Shiogi solved it, but the reader never learned the answer.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The nickname Ii-chan is usually used by Kunagisa and Omokage Magokoro. Other people called him by various nicknames such as Ii-kun, Ii-tan, Ii-ni, Ii-nosuke...
- The Stoic: Regardless of what he's feeling at the moment, his face will betray no emotion whatsoever.
- Unreliable Narrator
- Wholesome Crossdresser: In Sumiyuri Academy he was forced by Aikawa Jun to wear Girls' Uniform.
- Voiced by: Aoi Yuki
The Blue Savant. Ii-chan's childhood friend and probably one of the only two friends he has before the start of the series, 19 years old. A genius in the field of computer engineering, she was once the leader of a cyber terrorist group with no name (she calls it Team but other member calls it other things).
- Ambiguous Disorder: Kunagisa has some non-specified mental problems making it hard for her to travel alone. This is why Ii-chan accompanied her to the Wet Crow's Feather Island in the first place. It is mentioned that there are three restrains, but only one was mentioned: she cant move vertically (i.e. stairs or elevators) without the presence of other people.
- Badass Longcoat: Kunagisa wears a very fancy cloak that looks like a wizard's robe. It means a lot to her.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Does Not Like Shoes: For the most part, Kunagisa prefers to go barefoot, or as a close second, just socks. As a Hikikomori, shoes are just an impedance to her, because she has no real need for any, but if she has to venture outside her room, she'll don a pair of rocker boots or Mary Janes. Otherwise, Kunagisa almost always ditches her shoes, mostly when she's inside her room, or at rest.
- Expy: Of Shinobu Oshino. Both are diminutive (though Shinobu only regresses to the form of a child when de-powered), eccentric, hyper-energetic, constantly barefoot, have Rapunzel Hair, and lazy. Actually it is the other way around since Zaregoto was written way before Monogatari.
- Hikikomori: As a genius engineer, Kunagisa's keeps to her own devices nearly all the time and immerses herself into technology, and only comes out of her room when made to or it interests her to do so. Ii-chan ribs her for not even having the motivation to shower because she's so engrossed in her work.
- Idiot Savant: Kunagisa has been diagnosed with Savant Syndrome, she's unparalleled with anything involving computers, but helpless in many day-to-day activities.
- Kissing Cousins / BrotherSister Incest: Her parents are implied to be such. It may or may not the reason she has blue hair.
- Lonely Rich Kid: She owns the whole apartment she lives in, and her family is one of the most influential in Japan. On the other hand, Ii-chan seems to be her only friend.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Dead Blue, her nickname as the leader of Team. She is legendary in certain circles.
- Older Than They Look: She is said to have remained the same after Ii-chan left for America. That would imply that she looked like 13 when she was 19. At the end of the series, she began to grow again.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Voiced by: Yuko Kaida
- Action Girl
- BrotherSister Incest: Her Parents.
- Don't Call Me "Sir" - Only her enemies call her Aikawa-san, but Ii-chan does it anyway.
- Has Two Mummies: Has three dads: Saitou Takashi, Kajou Akira and Aikawa Junya. Saitou Takashi is her real father, the other two were his friends and collegues.
- Insufferable Genius
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- World's Strongest Man: Subverted. She is only said to be humanity's strongest contractor. But she did beat Omokage Magokoro at the end of Uprooted Radical (Part Three), who should be the strongest human being.
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Subverted. She killed her twin sister herself, which is the reason she has been exiled to the Wet Crow's Island in the first place.
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Theme Twin Naming: Her name is from Iliad while her sister Odetto's name is from Odyssey.
- The Ojou: The Akagami family is one of Japan's five biggest plutocrats.
- Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima
The Chiga Triplets: Akari, Hikari and Teruko
- I Lied: Teruko's Catchphrase. On rare occasions that she does speak, one has to carefully filter through what she said, because almost all of it will be lies.
- Ninja Maid: Teruko. She can even fight off Zerozaki Kishishiki to protect her mistress, Iria.
- The Quiet One: Teruko again. Hikari is astonished that she talked to Ii-chan and Iria herself notes that at the end of kubikiri cycle that her silence was not an act, she really doesn't talk much.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Teruko does this to Iichan.
Sonoyama Akane the real (fake) Ibuki Kanami
- Voiced by: Yu Shimamura
- Kill and Replace: What she did to Ibuki Kanami, Sonoyama Akane and all her other unnamed victims.
Ibuki Kanami the real Sonoyama Akane
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- Voiced by: Kenji Hamada
- Voiced by: Aya Endo
- The Alcoholic: Implied. She is often seen drinking wine, both her alibies consist of her drinking the night away with Shinya and even her cover art has her holding a wine glass AND the wine bottle.
- Foreseeing My Death: Her powers are limited to seeing only two years into the future, as that is when she is going to be brutally murdered.
- Insufferable Genius: She uses her powers to berate Ii-chan on every occasion, including reacting and commenting on any commentary he makes regarding her. If Hikari is to be believed, she has done so before with other geniuses, practically chasing them off the island.
- Voiced by: Haruna Ikezawa
- Only Sane Man: Is the only one properly freaked out by the murders, and described as the only one with a normal reaction by the viewer's standards. This is used by Ii-chan and Kunagisa, who make her fake a tantrum and storm off to pretend to lock herself in her room, in order to lure the killer into her room. She admits that most of it wasn't acted, implying that it was how she really felt.
- Japanese Delinquents
- Punny Name: Muimi means meanningless, her sister's name Muri means unreasonable, rude.
- Family of Choice: What Zerozaki family is all about: accepting people with killing impulse and no other family to speak of. Akagami Iria fits into the first category, but the battle between Kishishiki and Teruko showed she still has people who cares for her, so the Zerozaki backed off.
- Family Theme Naming: Shiki for the male and Ori for the female.
- Serial Killer: That is the reason they are a family in the first place.
Zerozaki HitoshikiReal name Migiwame Toshiki. The son of two Zerozaki, Zeroshiki and Hataori, which makes him the only "born" Zerozaki. Raised mostly by Soushiki, the only person in the Zerozaki clan that Hitoshiki recognizes as family (at least before Iori came along).
- Not Blood Siblings: His parents. And his relationship with Iori.
- Serial Killer
- The Baby of the Bunch: Youngest in the Zerozaki family (at least before Iori awakened).
Zerozaki SoushikiThe eldest and the leader of the family. Seems to be Hitoshiki's guardian. Has some sort of schoolgirl fetish.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Hitoshiki and Iori. He was overjoyed to have found Iori as he always wanted a little sister. In the end, he died protecting them.
Mutou Iori/Zerozaki Maiori
- Ambiguous Disorder: Due to past injuries, she has some speech problems and even some intellectual damage.
- Cute and Psycho: She is mentally unstable, which is the cause of all the problems in The Kubitsuri High School.
- Repetitive Name: Almost. The characters of 萩"hagi" and 荻"ogi" are look-alikes.
Niounomiya Rizumu and Niounomiya Izumu
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: Implied. Although it is more mental than physical, since Izumu stil wear women's clothes and has long, dark hair.
- Transgender: Izumu identifies himself as male.
Furuyari Zukin the 12th
- The Blacksmith: The name Furuyari Zukin is a title she inherited from her grandfather (the 11th) who was a blacksmith. It has been passed down in the family.
- Muggle: She is really just a normal high school girl.
Ishimaru KoutaJun's friend
- Phantom Thief: Although we never see her in action.