These are the characters that acted as the Espada in Soul Chess
Sorry for making you miss work. You did call in sick before you sat down right?
For more information go here.Listed in numerical order rather than alphabetical like the other pages.
Coyote StarrkThe Primera Espada
- BFG: Tercera Etapa lets him use two of these; one a sniper rifle (which he weilds one-handed), the other a large energy cannon.
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: Pulls this in Segunda Etapa well Lilynette does as she and Starrk share the same body in that form
- Dual Wielding: In Tercera Etapa he whips out two Uzis.
- Harmless Freezing: Hitsugaya freezes him solid using temperatures from the tip of the Stratosphere. Yet Starrk recovers without even a mild case of hypothermia. Justified in the fact that he was transferred relatively quickly to Hueco Mundo which Lelouch denotes is dry and arid. Theres also the reiatsu factor to consider.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Tercera Etapa.
- Power Gives You Wings: In Segunda Etapa
- Put On The Bus: After The Fall Of Talbumosuke.
- The Bus Came Back during Hell On Earth.
- The Worf Effect: Karakura Town; Byakuya is able to hold him off solo, doing just as well as against Ulquiorra's resurreccion, which is considerably less powerful, to buy time for Hitsugaya to charge up for a superpowered attack. Shiro then one shots him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Tercera Etapa.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: His Segunda Etapa makes him one of these, With wings
Baraggan LuisenbarnThe Segunda Espada. Initially. After Ichigo and the others rescue Orihime from Hueco Mundo, Baraggan attempts to usurp power from Talbumosuke. It doesn't work out well for him in the end. He is replaced by Spargga Tedanelo.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: It doesn't have much effect, not that that's a surprise, but Talbumosuke does cut the guy clean in half while he's in Resurreccion
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He REALLY had the asskicking he received from Talbumosuke and AIZEN in Hell coming.
- No-Sell: His Respira doesn't work on Talbumosuke because Talbumosuke coats himself in an anti-temporal field nullifying all temporal effects on his body.
- Villain Decay: Aizen put it bestAizen: How funny, in the days of Hueco Mundo you were a king, but according to the data systems, you are only a third-rate Togabito by my standards as I stand close to the top
- Which is kind of strange, considering the author stated in his newsletters that Barry had acquired Segunda Etapa by eating his former fraccion, and should have been top 10 material.
Tia HallibelThe Tercera Espada
- Blade on a Stick: Her Weapon of Choice in Segunda Etapa.
- Implacable Woman: Anyone who can negate Soifons Death In Two Steps through sheer force of will and soon regains her sanity and intelligence deserves to be called this.
- Put On The Bus: After a brief appearance during Demon Within.
- The Bus Came Back: During Hell On Earth, she's fighting Mia.
- Stripperific: Her Segunda Etapa is even more revealing than her Resurreccion which was skimpy to begin with. So much so that she was ALMOST confused with MIA.
Ulquiorra SchifferThe Cuarto Espada
- Deadpan Snarker: but he keeps it internal.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Its implied that Ulquiorra means this for Orihime as hes dying.
- Not So Stoic: Gets notably angry after Ghost Yammy pushes his buttons one too many times.
- Single Tear of Blood: As he dies.
- The Rival / Arch-Enemy: To Byakuya.
- Undying Loyalty: Joins Aizen during the Aizens Revenge arc upon request.
Nelliel Tu OdelschwankDue to the fact that Nnoitora was killed by Lelouch as a hollow, Nelliel never lost her power and has thereby remained on the Espada and she is number 5. Now the de-facto ruler of Hueco Mundo, and mother to Arietta, Tallisandra and Fenrique.
- Action Mom
- Anti-Villain: See Even Evil Has Standards below.
- Anti-Villainous BSOD: Has this when Pesche and Dondochakka die.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: With an Off Screen Moment Of Awesome, though its hard to say how one does officially become the Queen of Hueco Mundo.
- Big Eater: Comes with being a Hollow.
- Death Seeker: Has become this with the deaths of Dondochakka and Pesche.
- Thanks to Grimmjow she seems to have gotten over it.
- Defector from Decadence: Retreats and quits the Espada because she finds Talbumosukes cause not worth dying over.
- She carries on anyway, resulting in an Awesome Moment of Crowning and succeeding were he failed.
- Enemy Mine: Played straight with the Vandenreich, less so with the Gotei 13 come Hell on Earth.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Nelliel refuses to kill anyone she does not deem a warrior or unless she is ordered to kill someone.
- Makes an exception for Phoebe, for attacking her kids.
- Insistent Terminology: A meta-example. The author consistently refers to her as Nelliel because She's still an Espada. Grimmjow is the only one to subvert this and call her Nel. This raises quite a few eyebrows.
- Fully justified given what their sparring sessions usually turn into and the fact that Grimmjow is the father of Nelliel's children.
- Large and in Charge: By Hell On Earth.
- Mama Bear: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT harm her kids.
- More Deadly Than the Male: As Queen of Hueco Mundo since Grimmjow is King, Nelliel is certainly this. Kind of humorous given this is a Code Geass fanfic.
- Official Couple: With Grimmjow.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the middle of the second battle of Karakura Town Nelliel pleads for her life and leaves realizing she's lost faith in the cause.
- You Are What You Hate: This is slowly happening to her due to Pesche and Dondochakkas deaths.
- Again, Grimmjow helped her get over it.
- Seems to be coming back Nelliel's Segunda Etapa is much like Goku's SS4 compared to SS3. She can stay in it for extended periods of time, but it's like Goku said: "When I'm at this power level it's hard to listen to reason. I just lose control." Nelliel is afraid to lose control and give in to her bestial instincts, so she disengages it when she doesn't need it, even though she doesn't really need to.
Grimmjow JaegerjacquesThe Sexta Espada. Now King Of Hueco Mundo, and the father of Nelliel's children.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: With an Off Screen Moment Of Awesome, though its hard to say how one does officially become the King of Hueco Mundo
- Butt-Monkey: The guy has GHOST YAMMY haunting him for crying out loud.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: Gets this in Segunda Etapa
- Defector from Decadence: Done shortly after Nelliels invocation of this trope, only Grimm sticks around to help out finish off Yammy adding a mixture of Enemy Mine and Rivals Team Up onto the table at the same time.
- Even Evil Has Standards: A bit of a case of Fridge Logic required to understand why, but Grimmjow likes being looked up to so he would never deliberately send hollows after others because thats less subjects to revere him as King of Hueco Mundo. Apparently he intends to treat the weak that look upon him as a deity with respect citizens deserve.
- Official Couple: With Nel.
- Pet the Dog: To see the Jerkass Sexta Espada Help Nelliel after her Heroic BSoD and then repeat to her what she said to him about surviving the war is very surprising to say the least.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Kukaku ain't the only one.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Discussed by Grimmjow after witnessing Kenpachi cleaving Yammy in half, considering Yammy was the strongest Espada period. Grimmjow states that anyone Hollow that isnt dying of near starvation that attacks the Soul Society for kicks falls into this category.
Mia ArruruerieThe Septima Espada Aaroniero and Mia are one in the same being, but at the same time are two entirely different creatures. Kaien's victory over Metastacia left Miyako as the hollow's final victim so when Aaroniero went to absorb Metastacia he absorbed Miyako's consciousness as well. Unlike Kaien, who died with no regrets, Miyako was killed in battle and therefore her adrenaline and willpower still persisted and she fought to take control of the hollow possessing her. She succeeded, but the other hollows within Aaroniero corrupted her mind and Miyako forgot her identity and turned feral. Aizen found her and asked her for her name. All she could give him was "Mia". Rather than dispose of her, Aizen fixed her mind with the Hogyoku, creating the blue haired wicked, lustful being that is now Mia. After Kaien kills her, Talbumosuke preserves her body and she is resurrected by combining with the powerless Cirucci. This has seemingly made Mia more powerful than before. Killed again by Isshin, and Togabito #69 by last known records. One last note, she is the mother of Kasumi, the current Togabito #1.
- Absolute Cleavage: So much so that it doesn't even cover the essentials when she releases.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: This is a power up for her in Resurreccion.
- Arch-Enemy: Kaien, and Harribel to a degree.
- All Women Are Lustful: The literal embodiment of this trope.
- The Assimilator: Of Miyako, Aaroniero and Metastacia. Recently Cirucci has been added on as well.
- Back from the Dead: Kaien kills her in their third battle, but Talbumosuke revives her by fusing her with Cirucci.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Averted. See Absolute Cleavage above.
- Boobs of Steel: When Mia unleashes her release form's Super Mode her bust gets bigger. Mia's bust also grew in accordance with her Fusion Dance with Cirucci, which also made her stronger.
- And it gets considerably bigger with Segunda Etapa and the Super Mode in that form as well.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: 'Seduce, Succubo'.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She acted a little like this to her husband when she thought Kasumi was trying to seduce him away from her not knowing that the latter is her daughter.
- Combat Stilettos
- Combat Tentacles
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The first part of her fifth battle with Kaien is this. Isshin and Renji let it happen at Isshins choice cause Kaien is so thick headed.
- Curtains Match the Window: Until the Fusion Dance mentiond below when her hair becomes dark purple as a result of the fusion.
- Depraved Bisexual: Oh dear God.
- Deus Sex Machina: Mia uses this to power herself up while in release form.
- Double Entendre: Try finding something she says that doesnt have a case of Does This Remind You of Anything?.
- Evil Is Sexy: Yes. OH YES!
- Fusion Dance: With Cirucci.
- HeelFace Turn: With Talbumosuke and Kasumi in order to get revenge on Aizen for harming the latter.
- Horny Devils
- Killed Off for Real: Twice.
- Morality Chain: It becomes obvious to Talbumosuke Atrumier.
- Not Safe for Work: Most of the chapters marked as having sexual content on Deviant art are usually because of Mia.
- Not So Different: Zero, in creation only.
- Power Gives You Wings: Her Resurreccion.
- Sex Is Violence: She seems to get off on her fights with Kaien.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl
- Slasher Smile: Prone to these when excited in battle.
- Stripperific: You better believe it.
- Together in Death: With Talbumosuke.
- Vampiric Draining: Part of her release form's powers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Until the aforementioned Fusion Dance where it becomes dark purple.
Zommari LerouxThe Octava Espada. He was downgraded after the birth of Mia. He is killed by Hisana Kuchiki when she goes to help Ichigo rescue Orihime and is replaced by Ciela Mieddo.
Szayel Aporro GranzThe Novena Espada. He was downgraded after the birth of Mia. He is killed by Lelouch when he goes to help Ichigo rescue Orihime and is replaced by Kira Luz.
- And I Must Scream: Lelouch geasses him to "Never move again".
- Awesome by Analysis: Learns how to develop and utilize Segunda Etapa from watching Kira do it in hell.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kira in hell. Maybe.
- Your Head Asplode: How he dies.
Yammy RialgoThe Diez Espada. Yammy has suffered brain damage due to a mishap on a practice mission. Because of this he isn't all quite there.
- Catchphrase: Tengo Buena Suerte (I have good luck).
- Chaotic Stupid
- The Ditz
- Expy: Of Nappa from Dragon Ball Abridged due to the Brain Damage. There is even a Ghost Yammy.
- His Segunda Etapa is an expy of Godzilla. With Wings.
- Final Boss: He outlasts Talbumosuke.
- Half the Man He Used to Be
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: While using his Segunda Etapa Yammy shouts that he "is So Top Tier!" In one of the newsletter the author dictates that Yammy is the strongest Espada bar none while in Segunda Etapa. So yes Yammy, you are top tier.
- Lethal Joke Character: He went from the bottom of the barrel in terms of power and coupled with being so Chaotic Stupid and putting the dumb in Dumb Muscle, the fact that he becomes so large, intimidating and powerful in Segunda Etapa definitely makes him qualify for this. See Oh, Crap! and Magikarp Power below.
- Magikarp Power: Yammy Took a Level in Dumbass due to brain damage, often spouts non-sequiters and is still as much of a pushover as ever, except for the fact that he begins slowly becoming more powerful over the course of the story. Word of God says Yammy was given something similar to Megavitamins by Szayel at Talbumosuke's behest after he got the crap beaten out of him the first time. Later he's powerful enough to take on Renji at full strength in Bankai and during the first battle of the fake Karakura Town survives Hitsugaya's Hyoten Hyokkasso while in Resurreccion and having his own cero redirected back at him by Ukitake. In the second battle where he uses Segunda Etapa and according to Word of God Yammy's strength makes him the most powerful Espada, bar none. Considering how powerful Ulquiorra was and Yammy is, by a chart the author concocted TWO STEPS ABOVE THAT. Yikes
- Non Sequitur: The guy regularly spouts complete utter nonsense due to his brain damage.Yammy (to Hitsugaya): "Hey, you're the guy who doesn't like nachos! WHO WANTS KOOL AID?"(tries to Bala him)"CHOCOLATE RAIN!"
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Just because he is THE most idiotic character in the fanfic doesn't mean that he is a piece of cake.
- Oh, Crap!: He enters into the World of Living by breaking the space-time continuum between the living world and Hueco Mundo because hes so big.
- Power Gives You Wings: In Segunda Etapa
- Spanner in the Works: By haunting Ulquiorra, it is the direct result of his defeat.
- Too Dumb to Live
- Could also quite possibly be Too Dumb to Die. He was killed in battle by Kenpachi, and, by Bleach law is supposed to move on, but, according to the author Yammy has the power of stupid and therefore doesn't realize he's supposed to pass onto the next life and therefore intends to haunt Grimmjow forever and ever. He's still being a pest during Hell On Earth.