The characters of the first adventure path, Rise of the Runelords.
Aldern Foxglove, the Skinsaw Man
- Bishounen: His appearance in life.
- Mask Power: Has a literal magic mask.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: How he originally appears.
- Our Ghouls Are Creepier: And how! He's closest to the "Zombie Ghouls" subtrope.
- Split Personality: He has three — the sorrowful "His Lordship", the brutal "Hurter" and the sadistic "Skinsaw Man".
- Tragic Monster: At first he was just a man looking to redeem his family name, but he made deals with the wrong people and became their patsy, becoming a ghast in the process.
- Unwitting Pawn: Of the Skinsaw cult, and by extension of Karzoug. His actions in the cult's service also unknowingly lead to the creation of the plague that devastates Korvosa in Curse of the Crimson Throne.
- The Virus: He was turned into a ghast by a magic disease and can spread it to his victims. He single-handedly starts a minor plague of ghouls this way.
Ameiko Kaijitsu is best known in the Varisian town of Sandpoint as the proprietor of the Rusty Dragon, the most popular tavern in town. A member of the town's small aristocracy, she is the eldest daughter of Lonjiku Kaijitsu and Atsuii Kaijitsu, and half-sister of both Amaya and Tsuto Kaijitsu (who are unrelated to each other).
- Action Girl: Not in Rise of the Runelords, where she's just a Distressed Damsel despite her history. She gets to shine in Jade Regent. In the IOS game, she's one of the two characters you start off with so she's this trope by default.
- Break the Cutie: Her half-brother Tsuto kidnaps her as a sacrifice for Nualia, has his goblin minions beat her within an inch of her life, ties her up in a basement, and kills their father before the PCs rescue her.
- Faux Action Girl: She has a history as an adventurer, but in Rise of the Runelords she doesn't do much besides get kidnapped. See Action Girl above. This tends to happen frequently in Jade Regent, as well.
- Just Friends: In the comics, it's mentioned she has many admirers and suitors in Sandpoint. She quickly friendzones them.
- Multicolored Hair: Her bangs are dyed white.
- Non-Idle Rich: The Kaijitsu family are extremely rich and even ended up being aristocrats outside of their homelands, running an inn is just to help out adventurers and pass the time. But don't think that her side-project means she's not serious about making money, in the comics she quickly gives the Seoni, Valeros and friends the boot when Sandpoint stopped paying for their rent and bar tab.
- Royal Blood: As revealed in Jade Regent, Ameiko is the heir to the throne of the Minkai Empire.
Karzoug the Claimer, Runelord of Greed
- Arch-Enemy: Alaznist, Runelord of Wrath was this to him before the fall of Thassilion.
- Big Bad: Of Rise of the Runelords.
- Blade on a Stick: He wields a magical glaive as his symbol of office.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: He was born a slave and became one of the seven strongest wizards in the world during his era.
- Greed: And the Runelord thereof.
- Slouch of Villainy: On the cover of GameMastery Guide.
- Berserk Button: Harming Tsuto.
- Dirty Coward: Will flee from battle after the first hit she takes, unless she believes the PC's have hurt Tsuto.
- Stalker with a Crush: She's madly in love with Tsuto, and carries a pouch of items taken from him, including hair and fingernail clippings; Tsuto doesn't give her the time of day, being in love with Nualia.
- The Quisling: In ancient Thassilon, giants were slaves of the Runelords. When Mokmurian awoke Karzoug, he willingly let the wizard enslave his people.
Nualia Tobyn was a aasimar foundling raised by Ezakien Tobyn, the head pastor for the Varisian town of Sandpoint. She was recently found to have planned and executed a raid on the town by local goblin tribes. Although these attacks failed, she was eventually tracked down to the island-fortress of Thistletop, where she met her death.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Meta-example. Many players were quite upset upon finding out her backstory, and many wanted to do something to redeem the poor girl. Officially however, she's killed by the adventurers in the first part of Rise of the Runelords. This hasn't stopped some DMs from editing the campaign to allow the players to do redeem her.
- BFS: She wields a bastard swordnote , that's usually shown to be black and serrated.
- Fetus Terrible: She unknowingly conceived her child in an area desecrated by Lamashtu, the goddess of monsters. As a result, it was born stillborn and monstrously deformed. This threw her over the edge into insanity.
- Red Right Hand: She had a literal demonic hand (usually her left, though in Inner Sea Magic, it's her right). Also a huge gash across her abdomen from the aforementioned pregnancy's end.
- Sinister Minister: A priestess of Lamashtu, the Chaotic Evil Mother of Monsters.
- Starter Villain: She and her Goblins are this for the campaign as a whole.
- Shout-Out: James Jacobs confirmed that her adoptive father Ezakien, and by extension herself, are named after Tobin Bell, the actor who plays Jigsaw in the Saw movies.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Because of her angelic heritage, Nualia was gifted with unearthly beauty. Unfortunately, the townsfolk became obsessed with her and constantly begged her for blessings she couldn't provide. That was the start of her spiral into madness.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Averted in her backstory, later played straight after her HeelFace Turn from the Trauma Conga Line.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Put on a pedestal by her neighbors, restricted in her activities by her adoptive father, knocked up by her Bastard Boyfriend who then left her, disowned by her father, and gave still birth to a deformed monster thanks to being in an area desecrated by Lamashtu at the time. No wonder she went crazy.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: If reduced to five hitpoints, he'll drop to his knees and beg for his life.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: He has a crush on Lyrie, but knows about her obsession with Tsuto, so he's been planning on killing him.
- Noodle Incident: He was forced to flee Riddleport after a scam involving a tiefling prostitute, a shifty alchemist, and an elixir of love.
- Only in It for the Money: He's the only member of Nualia's organization who isn't evil, and is rather uncomfortable with what she's planning. But she pays in platinum.
- The South Paw: Art depicts him as wielding his bastard sword in his left hand.
- Full-Frontal Assault: As like other nymphs, she doesn't wear anything but will not fight the players unless attacked or provoked first.
- Hand-or-Object Underwear: Her artwork in the Anniversary Edition depicts her covering her left breast with her right hand.
- An Ice Person: Part of her powers as an ice nymph.
- Retcon: She was Chaotic Neutral in the original print, but changed to Chaotic Good in the Anniversary Edition.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: If the players engage in battle against her, she fights until brought below 25 hit points, at which point she teleports to the opposite side of the Icemists; she does not seek another confrontation with the players.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Ameiko's Abel.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Kills his legal father by encasing him in glass.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Human mother, elf father.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: His birth really stirred up the rumour-mill in Sandpoint, as he's a half-elf "somehow" born to two human parents who are pillars of the community.