open/close all folders
The self-appointed demon that comes when people call it's name. Once the hope of humans and monsters, Chara now longs for nothing more than to see the world erased.
- Ambiguous Gender: They are referred to exclusively with they/them pronouns and don't seem to identify as a boy or a girl.
- Ambiguously Human: Their occasional Nightmare Face, along with their questionable ability to shoot out of an empty pistol, the fact that their eyes turn red when they're angry or especially fired up and, you know, them coming Back from the Dead by taking over Frisk's body point to to them not being exactly human anymore.
- Blood Knight: Chara revels in fighting and violence and is often the most eager between them and Buddy to start battles.Chara: I love when they can fight back!
- Brainy Brunette: Their hair is dark brown and they are very articulated, a talented fighter and extremely perceptive.
- Came Back Strong: They leeched off of Frisk's LOVE during the genocide run and then murdered them to take over their body.
- Determinator: Chara's determination allowed them to access Save Points, reload and reset in their own world and also makes them a pretty dangerous opponent. They can channel it to amplify their abilities and persist against enemies for a long time.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: They genuinely don't understand why Buddy would use one of her healing items to save a near dead woman in a war-zone. Buddy needs to threaten them with leaving to keep them from killing her and even then, they only accept her choice very reluctantly.
- Knife Nut: Though they have access to a number of weapons, they seem to like knives most. Lampshaded by their character profile, which lists their likes as simply "Knives".
- Lack of Empathy: Chara doesn't care much for the feelings of others and treats everyone with roughly the same amount of cold indifference. Best shown when they mock Jim for his anger over them killing Papyrus.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: They're just a small child, but they were able to murder nearly every monster in the Underground and give Jim, an adult human who is much taller and heavier than they are a run for his money.
- Sadist: Unapologetically so. Chara thoroughly enjoys bringing pain and misery to others as in their mind they all deserved it anyway.
Transported from Olathe by a mysterious power, Buddy wishes to find and kill the being that humiliated her, so she can return home and finish what she started there.
- Action Girl: An accomplished warrior in her own world and tough enough to force a stalemate against Chara.
- BFS: Her scimitar, which is almost her size and is capable of slicing Chara's entire body in half in Chara vs Buddy.
- Child Mage: Gains the ability to use magic after putting on Undyne's eyepatch.
- Combat Pragmatist: Buddy will do literally anything to come out on top in a fight, from using explosives, to taking Joy to boost her strength, to flashing her opponent.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her flashback in the comic shows her going through various traumatic events, including but not limited to losing her eye and being forced to watch as Brad beats Marty to death in front of her.
- Distracted by the Sexy: She exposes herself to her enemies in order to stun them. Overlaps with Not Distracted by the Sexy, as the only two people she's used it on in the series so far are Chara and Kiwi-Frisk and neither of them are impressed (Although Chara did fall for it the first two times).
- Even Evil Has Standards: Buddy might be Jerkass and a Combat Pragmatist, but even she balks at the prospect of hurting someone who poses no threat and/or can't fight back. She saved Chara from Jim when he announced he would torture them for all eternity when they were already defeated and even risked her already pretty fragile partnership wit them later on to save an injured mother and her child from them.
- Eyepatch of Power: Chara gives her Undyne's eyepatch to wear, to replace her bandages after their trek through Waterfall. Later on a literal example, as the eyepatch gives Buddy the ability to use magic.
- Eye Scream: Her right eye is missing and covered by bandages in her first appearance in Chara vs Buddy. During that same video, Chara also tries (and succeeds) to poke out her remaining eye, which Buddy understandably doesn't take so well.
- Lady Swears-a-Lot: Buddy curses a lot when she's angry, much to Chara's chagrin.
- Last of Her Kind: In her own world, she is the only female alive.
- Living Macguffin: Her status as the last woman on earth effectively painted a target on her back when she was still in Olathe as everybody who heard of her tried to get her into their own hands for repopulation. Her desire to lead her own life and not be treated as a prized object was what motivated her to become the fighter she is.
- Jerkass: Buddy has no respect or empathy for anyone but herself. Anyone who stands in the way of her goals is simply an obstacle to be dealt with.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite her small size and youth, Buddy is capable of cutting off limbs and wielding a solid weapon about her size. Boosting herself with Joy makes her even stronger.
A human who was (somehow) living in the Underground without the monsters noticing. He comes after Chara to avenge the death of Papyrus.
- Acrofatic: He's pretty stout, but quick enough to avoid almost all of Chara's attacks.
- Badass Gay: He was madly in love with Papyrus and comes pretty close to killing Chara after having them on their toes nigh constantly during their fight.
- The Beast Master: He has the ability to summon a being called 'Cornflake Humonculus' to act as a distraction while he powers up.
- Ink-Suit Actor: His looks and personality are almost identical to real-life youtuber Jim Sterling.
- Hero Antagonist: The only reason he wants to make Chara suffer is because they murdered the person he loved and pretty much the majority of the Underground's population. He even tells Buddy to stay out of the fight, as his business isn't with her.
- Malevolent Masked Men: He wears a plague doctor mask and wants to make Chara pay for what they've done to Papyrus. Downplayed, as his anger and desire for revenge are pretty justified and he only ever acts malevolent towards Chara.
- Master of Illusion: He can summon copies of himself to take the hit for him and even fight his battles for a short time.
An Anthropomorphic Personification of the soul trait fear, she was created to ensure monsters and humans would never live in peace. And she's willing to do whatever it takes to gain the power needed to fulfill her purpose.
- Even Evil Has Standards: She is enraged when she learns that Chara is working towards the destruction of humanity.
- Humanoid Abomination: She looks like a harmless little girl (at least when she and Kumu are separated), but she really isn't.
- I Know What You Fear: Of the fear invocation-variety, overlapping with her Master of Illusion-powers: she can make her opponent hallucinate the thing they fear most, effectively stunning them and leaving them defenseless against her.
- Master of Illusion: See I Know What You Fear above.
- Meaningful Name: 'Béte Noire' is french for 'Black Beast' and as a term refers to something that one extremely dislikes.
- Sinister Scythe: Her Weapon of Choice, that she forms out of Kumu, her other half.
- Soul Eating: How she gains power. She tries to kill Buddy and Chara to devour their souls, but it doesn't go according to plan.
An enigmatic being who fights with a giant spoon, loves monster candy and does whatever it likes.
- Ambiguous Gender: Boy, girl, something else? Nobody knows. Kiwi is just Kiwi.
- Ambiguously Human: No one really knows what they are. They look human, but their behavior and immense power seem to hint at them being something else entirely.
- Cloudcuckoolander: They spent their time walking aimlessly across the multiverse, never actually speaking or doing anything except when provoked.
- Eyepatch of Power: The red bandana they're wearing covers their left eye and they're strong enough to defeat both Chara and Buddy at the same time with little to no effort.
- Improbable Weapon User: Their Weapon of Choice is a giant spoon.
- Troll: They interrupt Chara and Buddy's fight and beat both of them to a pulp for seemingly no reason at all. Later on they intentionally mess with Buddy at Grillby's, easily rebuff her attempt to "stun" them and, to add insult to injury, defeat her with little effort once again.
The former Royal Scientist, who's entire being was sprinkled across time and space after he fell into the CORE. He orginally brought Buddy to the Underground to stop Chara, but seemingly sees his worst fears confirmed when the two of them instead team up to fight Kiwi-Frisk.
- Berserk Button: Buddy and Chara being in a romantic relationship is literally his worst nightmare. Any mention of them being romantically involved is sure to get a violent or disgusted reaction out of him.
- Big Good: "Good" may be a bit of a stretch, seeing as he was willing to let two children fight to the death for all eternity, but in his defense, one of said children is a homicidal maniac who would have destroyed the world if he hadn't interefered.
- Mysterious Watcher: A bit less so than Core-Frisk, since his motives are pretty clear-cut (getting Chara out of his timeline), but the means through which he transported Buddy from Olathe into the Last Corridor and the way he keeps watching her and Chara's journey makes him come across as one.
- Would Hurt a Child: Understandably, he couldn't care less if Chara ended up dead at the end of all of this.
A former Frisk who ended up as The Omnipresent when the Sans of their universe threw them into the CORE. Together with Gaster, they are the one responsible for Chara and Buddy meeting.
- Big Good: Plays this a little more straight than Gaster. While Gaster just wants Chara to be stopped through any means necessary, Core-Frisk wants both Chara and Buddy to look inside themselves and change for the better through their shared adventure.
- Embarrassing Nickname: They don't really like how Chara keeps referring to them as "Coconut Head".
- Mysterious Watcher: They've been observing and, to a certain point, arranging, Chara's and Buddy's fight, team-up and journey, and while they have stated they did it in order to get both children to see the error of their ways by growing together, it's unkown as of yet why they chose this Chara in particular, why they care so much about what happens to Buddy or if they're somehow connected to Kiwi-Frisk.
- The Omnipresent: Similar to Gaster, their fall into the CORE led to their consciousness being shattered across time and space. Thus, they are able to exist everywhere and every time at once.
- Shipper on Deck: While Gaster finds the idea of Chara and Buddy hooking up repulsive, Core states that they'd find it cute and would fully support such an outcome.