Interlopers or Interlopers: The Chronicles of Chara & Buddy is a fanmade Crossover Spin-Off of Undertale and LISA, created and directed by Strelok, in collaboration with various other well-known fan-artists, such as TC-96, the creator of Endertale and animator Absolute Dream.
The series started on June 1st, 2018 with the video Chara vs Buddy in which the titular characters duke it out for awhile, before a mysterious being known only as "Kiwi-Frisk" interrupts the fight by easily defeating both of them.
Utterly humiliated, Chara and Buddy decide to put their differences aside to pursue, find and take their revenge on Kiwi. Their journey leads them across the multiverse and along the way they might be forced to undergo a much-needed introspection on themselves and their goals.
What our "heroes" don't know: Their entire adventure has been foretold and orchestrated by The Man Who Speaks In Hands and a mysterious child named CORE Frisk, who will watch it with interest.
The series is comprised of several animated shorts and episodes, each showcasing either a battle or the point of view of a character on certain events. A comic hosted on TC-96's Deviantart page details what happens between the videos.
- "Chara vs Buddy" - A prequel to the series. A mysterious power transfers Buddy from the world of Olathe into the Undergrounds last corridor. Chara, having just finished a genocide run, decides to greet her in their own special way.
- "Interlopers 0.0" - Beaten and humiliated, Buddy and Chara temporarily halt their dispute to team up against Kiwi-Frisk.
- "Chara vs Jim Sterling" - While tracking down Kiwi-Frisk, Chara and Buddy encounter a strange man wearing a bird mask who wants to avenge Papyrus' death by Chara's hands.
- "VS Béte Noire" - Chara and Buddy leave the main universe to continue their search for Kiwi-Frisk, but a mysterious girl dressed in pink seems to have other plans for them.
- "Interloper Shots: Patching Things Up" - Continuing on from Chara Vs Buddy. After a quick stroll through waterfall, Chara presents their new ally with a gift.
- "Interlopers: Introduction" - A reflection on events from Chara's point of view.
- "Alphys & Gaster's Dilemma" - Gaster has a small talk with Core!Frisk on how to proceed with the Chara and Buddy-situation.
Interlopers provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: Chara is referred to solely with they/them pronouns and there is nothing about their appearance that would hint at them being male or female.
- Antagonist Title: Chara and Buddy are the titular "Interlopers". And the people they fight during their search for Kiwi-Frisk are either good people who are only defending themselves or have very god reason to attack them. Béte Noire is just about the only exception.
- Back from the Dead: Chara was originally dead, but managed to come back to life by taking over Frisk's body.
- Badass in Distress:
- Chara, at the end of "Chara vs Jim Sterling". Jim has them literally pinned down to the floor, with their legs broken and prepares to make them go through a Fate Worse than Death in order to avenge Papyrus. If it hadn't been for Buddy's intervention, Chara's journey would have been over right then and there.
- Buddy, in "VS Béte Noire". Betty makes her hallucinate Rando in the middle of their fight, effectively horrifying and stunning her. Chara narrowly manages to break out of Béte's spell and cut off her arms shortly before she's able to axe off Buddy.
- Berserk Button: Gaster is vehemently opposed to shipping Buddy and Chara.
- Big Good: Downplayed, but since Core!Frisk and Gaster were the ones to bring Chara and Buddy together and at least one of them wants them to have a change of heart and improve themselves, they can be counted as this.
- Blood Knight: Chara delights in fighting and violence and is almost always the most eager between them and Buddy to charge at an enemy.
- Body Horror: Fitting for it's Darker and Edgier nature, Interlopers has a lot of this. The fight between Chara and Buddy especially features a lot of on-screen dismemberment, Eye Scream and gore.
- Came Back Wrong: Chara managed to come back to life by taking over the body of Frisk, after they'd collected enough LOVE in a genocide run. However, several scenes in the animated shorts and the comic point to them not being entirely human anymore.
- Creepy Child:
- Darker and Edgier: If you thought Glitchtale was brutal, Interlopers makes sure to top it and then some. The fights get absolutely brutal at times, with gore and blood being the norm during the initial fight between Chara and Buddy.
- Dimensional Traveler: The premise of the series. With the help of Buddy's void matter particle coated sword, her and Chara are able to track down Kiwi-Frisk over multiple alternate universes.
- Evil vs. Evil: Pretty much the entirety of "VS Béte Noire". Chara, a genocidal Megalomaniac and Buddy, a selfish Jerkass with a Utopia Justifies the Means-mentality find themselves fighting a Humanoid Abomination who seeks to destroy all monsters. None of them are people you would root for under normal circumstances.
- Eyepatch of Power: During their trek through Waterfall, Chara finds Undyne's eyepatch and gives it to Buddy to replace her bandages.
- Ground Hog Day Loop: Gasters' original plan, when he transported Buddy to the Underground. He wanted to trap both her and Chara in a never-ending battle where they would kill each other over and over with neither side ever coming out on top. The appearance of Kiwi-Frisk throws a wrench into that plan.
- Nightmare Face: Chara often pulls one during or when they're about to engage in a fight. Their eyes and mouth start dripping with a dark liquid while they let loose a horrifying scream.
- Reality Ensues: Unlike in her home series, Bete Noire has just awakened when the duo encounters her, and being found out by Chara leaves her no room to use any of the trickery that got her as far as she did. Her opponents are also much more powerful than Glitchtale's main cast, with Chara being higher in LV than Frisk was at his best. Naturally, she is subjected to a complete Curb-Stomp Battle. Even making the duo hallucinate does little to slow them down as Chara recovers quick enough to deprive Betty of her arms, allowing a very pissed Buddy to brutally finish her off.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Buddy frequently swears, moreso when shes angry. Chara isn't too fond of it.
- Teethclenched Teamwork: Buddy doesn't particularly like Chara, but she's willing to work with them to defeat Kiwi-Frisk. Chara's feelings towards Buddy are neutral at best.
- Worthy Opponent: Chara and Buddy come to consider each other as this at the end of "Chara vs Buddy".
- Would Hurt a Child: Gaster was more than willing to let Chara and Buddy kill each other. While it's more than understandable that he wouldn't care about Chara, Buddy had absolutely nothing to do with the carnage in his world, yet he was still willing to use her as a potential Sacrificial Lamb.