A skeleton knight who serves as the main protagonist of the game. He can't speak, but the game provides the player with his thoughts on the many odd situations he finds himself in.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Even though Sara dragged him into adventure against his own will, he does show concern to her, and over the time he had grown to reappreciate her feelings.
- Blue Is Heroic: His armor is blue, and he is The Hero of the story.
- Bonus Boss: Returns as this in Cthulhu Saves the World and Cosmic Star Heroine. If defeated in the former, he will join the party. In the latter, he provides a Spellblade shield that allows the user to switch elements in combat.
- Dem Bones: He is a skeleton.
- The Drag-Along: He doesn't really care much about Sara and Lita's goals, but they're the ones driving the plot.
- Friendly Skeleton: He is a skeleton, and a noble hero to boot.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Each weapon he uses is different, but they are all types of swords.
- Heroic Mime: Due to his lack of a tongue, he is unable to voice his thoughts. This leads to his opinions being completely ignored.
- Silent Snarker: When we see his thoughts, he's shown to have a lot of snark.
- Heroic Sacrifice: At the end of the game, he gives up Dr. Titas Dark the crystals to let him prevent the apocalypse despite the fact he is aware that it would result in them all being erased from the history.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Defied. When he sees the chest in one of the town's houses, he refuses to open it and collect the goods inside even despite Lita insisting to open it on beliefs there must be a super-powerful weapon, because "real heroes never steal from townsfolk".
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: He uses shields as armor items.
- Only Sane Man: He's the most rational and level-headed member of the group. When the player gets to see his thoughts, they are shown to be very not unlike that of any normal person being in similar situation.
- Playing with Fire: Most of the magical spells he learns are fire based.
- Surrounded by Idiots: As he himself puts it in:"..." (Everybody around me is insane.)
- Thought Caption: How the player gets to see his thoughts.
A cute ghost girl who forcefully joins the hero near the beginning of the game. She is gifted with telepathy and high level magic skills.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Her desire to research the mysteries of the old civilization is what brought her and Dem into adventure.
- An Ice Person: Many of her spells are ice based.
- Bonus Boss: Returns as this in the "Cthulhu's Angels" bonus campaign of Cthulhu Saves the World. If defeated, she will join the party.
- Combat Medic: She's the main healer of the group and can still kick ass on her own.
- Cute Ghost Girl: She's a ghost, and she really cute.
- The Gadfly: Sometimes she messes with Dem just for the heck of it, like translating his thoughts incorrectly for her benefit.
- Mind Reading: Making her the only person that Dem can "talk" to... not that she really listens.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: She only features Fog Feet, Pointy Ears, and Mind Reading, and doesn't seem to show any signs of incorporeality.
- Pointy Ears: For some reason, her ears are pointed.
- Red Mage: She knows various offensive, buffing and healing spells.
- White Magician Girl: She's gentle, girly and acts like a support to the group.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Yep.
A vampire who is skilled at messing with various types of technology. Rather than use normal RPG weapons or magic like the other characters she wields various types of guns in battle.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Much like Sara, she is interested in the history of the past world, although she is more interested in the technology instead.
- Bonus Boss: Returns as the weakest of three in Cosmic Star Heroine.
- Casting a Shadow: She can learn Dark Blast ability, which lets her do big damage to one enemy, which gets stronger with higher combo.
- Computer Virus: She can learn Comp Virus ability, which lets her do big damage to enemies with extra damage to mechanical ones.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Many of the spells she learns are the same except for the element. She can learn earth spells or lightning based spells.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: As soon as she makes sure the group isn't there to kill her she gladly joins up with them.
- Life Drain: She can use the Drain Life ability to damage enemies and restore the health for entire party.
- Mage Marksman: Both a gun user and the party's dedicated Black Mage.
- Meganekko: She even uses different types of glasses to fill her armor slot.
- Our Vampires Are Different: She isn't weakened by the sunlight at all. Also, she still can use Vampiric Draining, but it regenerates health for all characters, and not just her.
- Pointy Ears: Just like Sara's, Lita's ears are also pointed.
- Shock and Awe: Can learn lightning spells as well as earth spells.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Her shotgun is one of the very best weapons and can be used throughout the rest of the game after the player gets their hands on it.
- Status Effects: Blind, Sealnote , Sleep, and Instant Death.
- Summon Magic: She can summon bats or wolves to constantly attack enemies.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Why have just blue hair when you can have green hair too?
A french zombie in a suit who is the last member to join the party. Uses axes in combat.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He's hopelessly in love with Lita, who constantly denies his affection.
- An Axe to Grind: His Weapon of Choice is an axe.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: His armor types are all various suits. And by the final dungeon he'll likely be wearing a platinum suit and wielding a chainsaw axe. Hell yes.
- Chainsaw Good: His ultimate weapon is a chainsaw axe.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Unfortunately for him, Lita disagrees.
- Friendly Zombie: Even though he's a zombie, he's still amicable enough to join the heroes in their quest.
- Funetik Aksent: Speaks with the French accent.
- Our Zombies Are Different: He looks pretty much like a human, but with gray skin.
- Poisonous Person: He can poison enemies with his Puke ability.
- Purple Is Powerful: Wears purple suit, and is physically strongest character in the game.
- Rebel Prince: Despite being the prince of Motherbound, he doesn't want to rule and lets his uncle (who usurped the throne and threw him into jail, mind you) continue ruling.
- Summon Magic: He can learn Call Horde, which lets him call a horde to attack enemies.
- Verbal Tic: "LE BRAINS!"
- Zombie Puke Attack: His Puke ability, which lets him poison enemies.
The ruler of trolls who terrorized the Palad-Lennus until Dem putted an end to their threat.
- All Trolls Are Different: In this case, they are small yellow humanoids except their chief, who is very big.
- The Cameo: Appears in Cosmic Star Heroine as an encounter before the fight with Dem, where he is assisted by Ancient Troll and Old Troll (based on normal Troll and Dark Troll, respectively). He doesn't put up much of a fight.
- Drop the Hammer: He wields a hammer as a weapon.
- Large and in Charge: He's the biggest troll around there, and he's their chief.
- Shout-Out: The dialogue between him and Dem are directly based on Dracula's memetic line from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.Chief Troll: What is an undead man! A miserable little pile of secrets! ...and bones!
- Spell My Name with an "S": He's referred as Troll Chief in the dialogues, yet in the battle he is named Chief Troll. His cameo appearance in Cosmic Star Heroine uses the latter writing.
- Starter Villain: The first opponent you face in the game.
- Warm-Up Boss: He is extremely weak and serves only to introduce the player to the combo mechanics.
One of the many adversaries of Dem, Grim Reaper tries to kill Dem and Sara when they go through Grave Pass.
- Degraded Boss: An interesting example. Grim Reaper appears in Cthulhu Saves the World in a Very Definitely Final Dungeon, but only as a random encounter. However, he's much more durable than before, as he has 22400 HP, when compared to this game, where he has 550 HP. Though by that point when you encounter him, you'd be levelled up enough to curb-stomp him.
- Grim Reaper: Obviously.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: He just appears out of nowhere. The closest he gets to foreshadowing is when you examine the graves that are placed near him which tell the player to "fear the reaper."
- Mana Drain: He can drain the characters' mana.
- Sinister Scythe: As Grim Reaper, he naturally wields a scythe as a weapon.
- Shout-Out: Before the battle, he states "The black wind howls again...".
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first boss that provides actual challenge, as he can drain characters' mana and has high physical damage.
A robot made of junk that attacks the party in the city ruins. After the battle, it's revealed it was sent out to reclaim the eight magical crystals.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: It was supposed to reclaim the eight crystals, but due to something tampering with it, it went against its original goal and attacked the party.
- Flunky Boss: Assisted by two Ghost Cars. It constantly rebuilds them when they get destroyed.
- Giant Scrap Robot: It's a perfectly functioning robot made of junk.
- Shout-Out: After the defeat, it says "I am error." before it stops moving.
- TV Head Robot: Its head looks like a TV with an angry face displayed.
A trio of blue fishmen who attack the party in the third bonus cave.
- Badass Normal: They are merely Fish People without any abilities, but even then they're still capable of putting up brutal fight.
- Fish People: They are harder versions of Fishman enemies from earlier.
- Kill It with Fire: They are weak to fire attacks.
- King Mook: All three of them are harder versions of Fishmen.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: "We'll teach you to eat us raw!". Would've been Badass Boast if it were actually badass.
- Prongs of Poseidon: They wield tridents.
- Skippable Boss: They appear only in the bonus cave and are not required for progress.
- Wolfpack Boss: You fight three of them at once.
An undead three-headed yellow dragon that attacks the party in the Water Cave.
- Breath Weapon: As a dragon, it possesses breath attacks.
- Degraded Boss: Another interesting example. Dead Dragon appears in Cthulhu Saves the World in a Very Definitely Final Dungeon, but only as a random encounter. However, it's much more durable than before, as it has 26600 HP, when compared to this game, where it has 5500 HP. Though by that point when you encounter it, you'd be levelled up enough to curb-stomp it.
- Dracolich: It's an undead dragon.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: It just appears out of nowhere and never gets mentioned again.
- Multiple Head Case: It has three heads.
- Our Dragons Are Different: This one is three-headed and lacks wings, making it more reminiscent of Hydra.
- Playing with Fire: Naturally, it can breathe fire to damage all party members...
- Poisonous Person: ...or breathe gas to poison the entire party.
A zombie king of Motherbound who is also Erik's uncle. He was the one who locked Erik in the dungeon, and then he locks up Dem's party. Once they escape the prison, he tries to kill them himself.
- Anti-Villain: He's not genuinely malicious or evil, in fact he's actually a benevolent ruler. His only problem is that he really insists on staying in power.
- The Cameo: Appears in Episode 3 of Penny Arcade Adventures under the name "Evil King".
- "Could Have Avoided This!" Plot: As he himself puts it in:Usurper: Really? All I had to do was ask for the throne and you'd give it to me? I feel so foolish.
- Easily Forgiven: His nephew Erik quickly forgives him for usurping the throne, throwing him into jail, and trying to kill them. And he even lets him rule the kingdom.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He's known just as "Ruler" (or "Usurper" in battle). In his cameo appearance in Penny Arcade Adventures, he goes by "Evil King".
- Evil Uncle: He is Erik's uncle, and he usurped the throne. Subverted, because he's not really evil in the first place.
- Flunky Boss: He's assisted by two Knights.
- The Good King: Despite the fact that he usurped the throne by force, he's actually a fairly good ruler, as Motherbound townsfolk say.
- Heal Thyself: During the battle, he can heal all of his health, making him harder than every other boss.
- Money Mauling: One of his attacks is throwing coins at all party members.
- The Usurper: He was the one who usurped the throne from Prince Erik. It's right there in the name. However, Erik doesn't mind and lets him rule the kingdom.
Dual turrets guarding eight magical crystals. After the party retrieves them, they activate and attack them.
- Dual Boss: You fight two turrets at once.
- Gatling Good: One of their attacks is shooting bullets at all party members.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: They seem to have been left to guard the Crystals, but take no notice of the party until they've already got their hands on them. Justified by the fact that removing the crystals from their place is what triggers their programs.
- Kill One, Others Get Stronger: If you destroy one turret, the other will take its power and becomes more powerful.
- Sentry Gun: Obviously.
The team of evil doppelgangers of the main party, they appear out of nowhere in the lab to attack the heroes.
- Evil Twin: They all are evil doppelgangers of the main team.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: They are not foreshadowed at all. They just randomly pop out of nowhere, and there's no reason for them to be there.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Unlike the main party members, they all possess glowing red eyes to show that they are, well, evil.
The final boss of the game, Ultimate Evil is an unknown undead monstrosity that appears to stop Dem and his party from saving the world.
- Big Bad: Possibly. Lita assumes that he was responsible for corrupting Dr. Dark's robots to stop them from bringing him the crystals.
- Final Boss: He's the final boss of the game.
- Four Is Death: He's got four arms, and he's the Undead Abomination.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Insanely so. There's literally no reason for him to be here, at all. He just... shows up and fights you at the end.
- HP to 1: His Deathbound ability, which drops the character's health to 1 point.
- An Ice Person: Can use Sub-Zero which deals big ice damage to all party members.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: He's got four arms, with which he holds a sphere of fire and a chunk of ice floating, and wields a sword and a trident.
- Number of the Beast: He's got 66666 HP.
- Our Demons Are Different: Before his battle, the narrator refers to him as a terrifying demon.
- Playing with Fire: Can use Hellfire attack which deals big fire damage to a single party member.
- Undead Abomination: He's a strange and very powerful floating four-armed undead demonic monstrosity that corrupted Dr. Dark's robots to prevent the heroes from saving the world.
The duck-like dragon that claims itself to be the most powerful dragon in the world who gets insulted by the fact that everybody thinks he is a duck. He acts as a Bonus Boss in the game and appears in the Super Secret Cave. Defeating him allows Dem to get Excalibur.
- Bonus Boss: Plays this role in the game.
- Breath Weapon: He's got Bread Breath ability which deals damage to all party members.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Nobody takes him seriously because of his looks. That's why he wants the heroes dead.Dragonduck: Everyone thinks I'm a duck, but I'm actually the most powerful dragon in the world! Graveyard duck? Bah! I'll show them! I'll kill you all!
- Increasingly Lethal Enemy: While in this game all enemies get stronger, Dragonduck takes this Up to Eleven due to the fact that every 4 turns he uses Quack! ability, which increases his stats by 25%, and the buffs stack.
- Our Dragons Are Different: This one looks like a duck.
- Shout-Out: He's a reference to dragons from Adventure on Atari, who also resemble ducks. Also, he mentions the fact that he was called the graveyard duck in his pre-battle rant.
A scientist who resides deep in his lab, and the last human alive. He built the time machine and intends to travel back in time to save the humanity from the apocalypse.
- Awesome McCoolname: "Dr. Titas Dark" is a pretty cool name for a Non-Action Guy.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He's the one who invented many various robots, including the Junk Monster who went haywire and was defeated by heroes earlier.
- Mr. Exposition: He's the one explaining what happened to humanity to the heroes.
- Non-Action Guy: Since he's not physically built for combat and adventures, he mostly prefers robots to do a work for him.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: He prevented the apocalypse through unspecified means.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: His goal is to prevent the apocalypse and save the humanity.
- Shout-Out: Is the spitting image of a certain scientist with an opposite name, just with less hair.
- Sole Survivor/Last of His Kind: He's the last human who remained alive in the now dead world.
- Sole Surviving Scientist: ...and he's the scientist.