Characters: Sonic The Hedgehog-Team Sonic
aka: Sonic The Hedgehog Main Trio
The three primary protagonists of the series aptly named Team Sonic (or Team Heroes depending on the game), consisting of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Whenever a threat rears its ugly head, you can bet these three will be at the center of the conflict in some way. The roster tends to vary depending on the game (Amy tends to join them a lot of the time) however but the ones listed here are considered "staples" of the series.
open/close all folders
Tropes applying to the trio as a whole
- Airplane Arms: All three do this when running full speed.
- Badass Crew: By themselves they are already capable, but when they work together, there is almost no foe that can take them down. Sonic Heroes is even built around this concept with three other teams in addition to Team Sonic.
- Bash Brothers: As mentioned above, Sonic Heroes is built with this concept in mind, using the abilities of the three in tandem to progress.
- Brains and Brawn: Tails is the brains to Sonic & Knuckles` brawn.
- Cast Herd: After Sonic the Hedgehog 3, the three had more or less equal spotlight and screentime, with only Sonic eclipsing them, but only by a small margin. However, recent games have began to focus primarily on Sonic himself with Tails being turned into an NPC Non-Action Guy, and Knuckles being severely Out of Focus.
- Elemental Powers: Various games give them this affinity.
- Four Man Band: When its just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles its a Power Trio, but when Amy joins it becomes this. The line up tends to change depending on the game however, so only the consistent members are listed below.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Whenever Amy joins
- Sanguine : Amy, she is highly emotional, has very strong feelings for Sonic and has her moments where she would lose her temper.
- Choleric: Sonic is the most likely to take action against a foe, and has a pretty noticeable arrogant streak.
- Melancholic: Knuckles, he takes his life very seriously and stubbornly follows his duty without question.
- Phlegmatic: Tails, he's analytical, but he knows right and wrong and cares about people in general.
- Funny Animals
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Because Knuckles tends to spend more time alone on Angel Island, Sonic & Tails tend to be the ones who kick off the plot. They're almost never seen without the other and most games focus on them being such great partners. It helps that Sonic adopted Tails as his surrogate little bro.
- Image Song: "We Can" (for the three as Team Sonic).
- Kid Heroes: According to official profiles, none of them are over 18. Heck, Tails isn't even 10.
- Improbable Age: And yet, they've gone on to save the world and be far more competent than the military.
- Limit Break: Their Team Blast "Sonic Overdrive" in Sonic Heroes. It does major damage to all nearby enemies, and enables the use of the Light Speed Attack for 10 seconds until its cooldown timer runs out.*
- PintSized Powerhouses: They're all pretty small and rather strong, but Knuckles stands out among them.
- Power Trio
- Chromatic Arrangement: Sonic blue, Tails yellow, Knuckles red.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Its even reflected in their personalities.
- Fighter: Knuckles, who prefers close combat and uses his fist to plow through his opposition.
- Mage: Tails, doesn't posses Sonic's agility or Knuckles' strength but makes up for it with his various gadgets.
- Thief: Sonic, who uses his various acrobatic and swift movements to make up for his lack of power. (Compared to Knuckles anyway).
- Freudian Trio: Although each one of them have traits of all three Freudian personality types.
- The McCoy: Sonic, tends to act purely on impulse and whatever he feels is a good idea at the time, though in Sonic Lost World he shows some Kirk traits when breaking up a fight between Tails and Eggman.
- The Spock: Knuckles, tends to focus primarily on his job of protecting the Master Emerald and rarely concerns himself with matters outside of that. Although his anger issues give him some McCoy traits.
- The Kirk: Tails, tends to mediate in-fighting between the other two, and his intelligence gives him some Spock traits. He also has some McCoy traits when agitated by something as shown in Sonic Lost World.
- Nice, Mean and In-between
- Nice: Tails, humble and respectful to others.
- Mean: Knuckles, being far more of a hothead and a recluse.
- In-between: Sonic, has a bit of an ego trip but ultimately a nice guy overall.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: A nomadic blue hedgehog, a super smart helicopter-tailed fox, and a lonesome guardian of a giant green rock, all united by their efforts to save the world.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man. Sonic (manly man) and Tails (sensitive guy)...however, when it comes to Knuckles, Sonic is the Sensitive Guy while Knuckles is the Manly Man.
- Super Mode: Sonic and Knuckles were able to harness the power of the Chaos Emeralds and Tails the Super Emeralds up till Sonic 3 & Knuckles, nowadays it seems only Sonic and the other male hedgehogs are allowed to go Super.
- Super Speed: They're all pretty fast Sonic is just the fastest of them, notably in Sonic Colors. Even in speed formation Sonic is going slow enough for the others to keep up, and they're all speeding through every environment.
- Super Strength: They're all pretty strong since their primary mode of attack is slamming into things and they've all taken down armored robots single-handedly. Knuckles is decidedly the strongest however.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Both Knuckles and Tails usually play Blue to Sonic's Red. Each of them can function as either Blue or Red depending on the game, however.
- True Companions: Despite their backgrounds and differing personalities, they are shown to care for one another. Particularly Sonic & Tails.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: All three of them tend to tease and snark at the other, especially Sonic and Knuckles.
Sonic the Hedgehog
"What you see is what you get, just a guy that loves adventure. I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!"
First Appearance: Rad Mobile
The main character of the franchise. A cobalt-blue anthropomorphic hedgehog with attitude and plenty of personality who lives up to his name by being able to run at superhuman speeds. Not much is known about Sonic's past aside from that he was born on Christmas Island. One day, he noticed all of his animal buddies began disappearing and the culprit was none other than Dr. Eggman. After foiling the doc's plans, Sonic would then make it his business to foil whatever Evil Plan
the doc cooked up, establishing their long rivalry. Over time, Sonic has faced bigger and larger threats alike while making a whole slew of allies along the way.
Sonic is described as the wind; unpredictable, and always moving from place to place and never settling down for long. Laid-back, carefree, and armed with a wit as sharp as his quills with an ego to match.
Miles "Tails" Prower
"I've changed a lot since I started hanging out with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself!"
Voiced by: Hekiru Shiina (Japanese, OVA), Kazuki Hayashi (Japanese, 1998), Atsuki Murata (Japanese, 2000-2002), Ryō Hirohashi (Japanese, 2003-present), Christopher Stephen Welch (English, AoStH), Bradley Pierce (English, SatAM), Chris Turner (English, Sonic Christmas Blast), Lainie Frasier (English, STH: The Movie), Corey Bringas (English, 1999-2001), Connor Bringas (English, 2001), William Corkery (English, 2004), Amy Palant (English, Sonic X, 2005-2010), Kate Higgins (English, 2010-2013), Colleen O'Shaughnessey (English, 2014-present)
Sonic's young sidekick: a small fox who can use his unique twin tails to fly. Despite his young age, he's a reliable and dependable ally to Sonic. In later games, he's come into his own as a genius inventor that even rivals Eggman. His real name is ''Miles Prower, and he grew up as an orphan, ostracized because of his twin tails.
One day, he noticed Sonic's running by and was so awed by his speed, he tried to catch up using his tails. Sonic didn't pay the young fox any attention, but witnessing how he nearly caught up with him impressed him enough to take him under his wing and give him his well known nickname. Together, they foiled Eggman's latest scheme on Westside Island and the two became nearly inseparable.
Ever since their first meeting, Tails has tried his hardest to be the best person he can for Sonic's sake, often times by mimicking him. Humble, docile, and good-natured with mechanical prowess that can potentially rival Eggman's, but he never thought it was much of a big deal.
- Ace Pilot: Originally the Tornado belonged to Sonic but Tails's pilot competency has basically made him the de facto owner of the plane as he flies and maintains it more than Sonic ever did.
- Accidental Pervert: In The Movie, Tails accidentally fondles Sera's breasts when landing on her. Knuckles calls him out on this, and Tails, blushing, promptly apologizes.
- Adorably Precocious Fox Kit
- Adorkable: He's a young nerd whose favorite food is mint candy and is afraid of ghosts, naturally this makes him this.
- Aerith and Bob: His real name is Miles Prower, while the other Sonic characters have unique names.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He used to get picked on for having two tails, though Intelligence Equals Isolation may have been part of it as well.
- Anime Fur: More so in his post-Adventure design then his original one.
- Attack Animal: In his Super Mode, he summons four "Super Flickies" that charge at and destroy all enemies and even bosses.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: He's sensible enough but can sometimes get so caught up with his gadgets that he loses focus quickly, this nearly gets him killed in Sonic Lost World.
- Back Story: A surprisingly sad one, considering his cheerfulness and optimism. He grew up alone on a tiny island, which was attacked by an armada (that he had to fight off by himself), and was bullied before meeting Sonic. And then he got kidnapped directly after meeting Sonic.
- Badass: Adorable little fox kit who can keep hold his own.
- Badass Adorable: Prevented Eggman from detonating his missile in Sonic Adventure and saved Station Square all by himself, but at his core, he's still just a quiet, geeky kid.
- Badass Bookworm: He fits this, but it's been mellowed down due to his lack of importance as a fighter in a majority of newer games. Until Sonic Lost World when he outsmarts the Deadly Six by faking his brainwashing and even shuts down and reverses Eggman's life draining machine when it was thought that only the latter could do it.
- Badass in Distress: in Sonic Lost World Tails is captured by the Deadly Six and left to be turned into a robot, however he manages to hack the machine that would have done so to retain his free will, thus rescuing himself from the Deadly Six's fox-napping.
- Berserk Button: Insulting his technological skills, ignoring him, and threatening Sonic's life.
- Beware the Nice Ones: This is best shown in Sonic Adventure 2 when he vowed that Eggman will never forgive him for ''nearly'' threatening Sonic's life via space capsule and didn't hesitate to blow his brains out during their mech fight.
- Big Brother Worship/Hero-Worshipper: Towards Sonic in the beginning. Over time, he's become less amazed by Sonic's feats and even recognises his flaws.
- Big Eater: In AoStH, he has a huge appetite just like Sonic.
- Blow You Away: He uses the Tornado to create a huge tornado in Sega All-Stars Racing.
- Captain Crash: Eggman has an impeccable talent for gunning down his planes.
- Captain Obvious: Sonic lampshaded this in Sonic Adventure with an Aside Glance.
- Cartoony Tail: Two of them.
- Chaste Hero -> Celibate Hero: In the games, he seems to be quite oblivious to romance, unless you bring the subject up, in which case he gets upset. In Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, it's quite clear that he thinks of it as an annoying waste of time. Like Sonic, this differs in the comics and anime.
- Character Development: Gets a lot of it in Sonic Adventure. His defining moment is when Eggman attacks Station Square and with Sonic separated from him, Tails has to defeat Eggman himself, compared to all the times in which Tails needed to be by Sonic's side in order to get things done. This is even retained for most games afterwards, where Tails is less impressed with Sonic's feats than before, though he still remains his sidekick out of their close friendship.
- Characterization Marches On: He was actually a lot more nicer and humble than his current personality would suggest, but that may be the result of the aforementioned Character Development.
- Cheerful Child
- Child Prodigy: Just being able to fly the Tornado in Sky Chase Zone would've gotten him here, but he's been able to BUILD — as in, with his own two hands — more than one upgrade for the plane, a portable device that can bring up satellite signals and translate the Wisps' language, a fake Chaos Emerald, his team's Extreme Gear, and everything from his Game Gear spin-off games. Oh, and depending on whatever continuity you believe in, he singlehandedly learned to turn his twin namesakes into the most useful and deadly Cartoony Tails ever! All this at 8 years old.
- Cool Car: Remember that car he had in the Easter Egg picture from Sonic CD? It's a Caterham 7, and he's had it since 1992. In Sonic Drift 2, Tails drives an Expy of said car. His car in Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty cool too.
- Cool Plane: The Tornado and all of its upgrades. The original red variation is actually Sonic's, but Tails is so much of a better pilot that he's all but relinquished ownership to him.
- Cool Shades: Wore those in one of his first manga appearances.
- Cunning Like a Fox: Subverted - While he is certainly intelligent enough, his childish naivete prevents him from actually being cunning most of the time.
- Deadpan Snarker: Seems to have become this in Sonic Colors. Sonic must be rubbing off on him.
- Distracted by the Sexy: He's instantly defeated by Rouge the Bat when she kisses him in the tournament in Sonic X.
- Distressed Dude: In the 8-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Can actually lead to a pretty depressing ending if you don't collect all the Emeralds, as it's implied that Eggman killed Tails.
- Ditzy Genius
- Drop the Hammer: In Tails Adventure, he uses a hammer similar to Amy's. Or, rather, the other way around, as his hammer appeared before Amy's.
- The Engineer: His technological abilities have been increasingly helpful to Sonic over the years. Nowadays, it overshadows his original combat role.
- Exposition Fairy: He's this in Sonic Colors.
- The Face: He's a bit like this among Team Sonic in the games, being the most sensitive and reasonable member of the team. However, he actually talks to others less than the other two do.
- Fantastic Fox
- Kitsune: He doesn't have the magic powers associated with Kitsune, but he has the intelligence and multiple tails.
- Fatal Flaw: While not quite as developed as those of his team mates, Tails is sometimes shown to get a bit too fixated with his machinery and know-how. Sonic even gets rather annoyed with him after it almost gets him killed in Lost World.
- Flight: He can use his namesake tails to propel him upward, and when that isn't enough, there's always the Tails Tornado: later the X-Tornado.
- Foil: While Dr. Eggman's main rivalry is with Sonic, Tails fits the role moreso due to his intellect and handiness with technology.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic
- Gadgeteer Genius: In most Sonic media (barring the first two American cartoons), Tails is the "gadget" guy, making him opposite to Eggman.
- Girls Have Cooties: To a mild extent in some medias. It actually helps resolve the plot almost every time it comes up.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Wears some◊ in the Sonic Riders series.
- Good Counterpart: He has evolved into a good counterpart to Eggman (because Eggman was introduced first), seeing as Tails' Gadgeteer Genius abilities have become as prominent as Eggman's, and Tails is young, yet very mature (in some ways) while Eggman is older, yet rather immature. This is more apparent in Sonic Adventure 2, where Tails and Eggman are both "shooting" characters and control the same way. It's also worth noting that both are among the few characters in the Sonic franchise that have full names, yet are Only Known by Their Nickname.
- It's sometimes implied that Eggman and Tails respect each other's genius in spite of all the trouble they cause each other, to the point where they sometimes devolve into a Friendly Rivalry.
- Heartwarming Orphan: Depending on the adaptation. Though he is an orphan in every continuity, except in the comics where his parents eventually do turn up, this is hardly brought to the viewer's attention in Sonic X or in any of the video games. Sonic Sat AM doesn't harp on it too much though it does come up occasionally, while Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (despite usually being more comedic) actually dedicates an episode to it.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He'll believe someone if they say they aren't evil, no matter what prior experiences he's had with them.
- Humble Hero: He's done his fair share of heroics but is far too modest to really take credit, in sharp contrast to Sonic.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: He doesn't use it often, but he has a ton of stuff that can appear out of nowhere, especially in Tails Adventure.
- I Love Nuclear Power: In at least some versions, his mutation is the result of toxic waste dumped by Dr. Robotnik.
- ImageSong/"I Want" Song: "Believe in Myself"
- Informed Attribute: Many modern bios refer to him as a "hyperactive fox boy", despite his Keet-like attitude fading considerably over the years in favor of him becoming rather mellow and serious minded character.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Innocent Prodigy: It varies from game to game, but Tails is just a kid who happens to be extremely intelligent for his age. He sometimes joins in on Sonic's taunting, but also wises up faster than his big bro as well.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Most of his friends, all of his close friends, are quite a bit older than him.
- Jack of All Stats: Not as fast as Sonic, nor as strong as Knuckles.
- Japanese Pronouns: "Boku".
- Jerkass Ball: Somewhat of a case in Sonic Lost World where he blames Sonic for trusting Eggman more than him to shut down the Extractor.
- Keet: Earlier media such as Sonic Sat AM portrayed Tails as a much more hyperactive and immature character. As modern interpretations focused on his technogeek persona more and more, this trait faded, to the point that Tails is almost the most mellow and sensible-acting character of the team. Interestingly, the OVA played an unusual mix, with his intelligent technical persona juxtaposed with extremely childlike traits.
- Kid-Appeal Character: The very first one of the series, he's often recommended for beginners due to his flying abilities in the 2D games.
- The Kirk: Overlapping with The Spock at times. Tails is generally the most level-headed of the three.
- The Lab Rat
- The Lancer: In AoStH, some of the newer games, and the Archie comics.
- The Leader: Tails has been portrayed as the leader of Sonic's merry band recently due to his status as The Smart Guy, especially evident in Sonic Chronicles.
- Lovable Nerd: Very nerdy, but also very adorable.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Amy's Masculine Girl.
- Meaningful Name: Miles Prower fits in with Sonic's name, refering to velocity.
- Motor Mouth: Not as much as Marine or Omochao, but often with Techno Babble.
- Mr. Fixit
- Multiple-Tailed Beast: Being based on a Kitsune, it's to be expected.
- Nice Guy: One of the most mild-mannered of the cast.
- Non-Action Guy: He's made this in Unleashed, Colors, and Generations. Subverted in the 3DS release of Generations. He and his younger self attack Eggman head-on in the end, allowing the Sonics to go Super and finish it up.
- Noodle Incident: One has to wonder how Tails was able to make a TV out of paperclips, and reprogram a computer with detergent & a toothpick, as was mentioned in Sonic Lost World.
- Number Two: Often cited as Sonic's right-hand man and the most likely to tag along in his adventures. He even sometimes takes over in Sonic's absence.
- One-Man Army: In Tails Adventure, it's seen that he can easily be one of these.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: To the point where most people didn't think he had a real name.
- Only Sane Man: In Sonic Battle, at least.
- Out of Focus: PlayedWith. He's nowhere near as prominent as he once was and he's rarely a playable character nowadays, but he continuously makes appearances in the plot and is just as much apart of the action as Sonic.
- Ping Pong Na´vetÚ: Has astonishing technical abilities, but often has the disposition and na´vetÚ of a child. This lessened significantly around Sonic X and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), but started to trickle back in with Colors and Generations.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: 2'7" tall, 44 lbs (and look at the size of his tails and tell me that they aren't most of that), is capable of punching through rock fairly easily.
- The Pollyanna: He honestly believed that Eggman had truly reformed in Sonic Colors, even though it's clear that he didn't.
- Prehensile Tail: Tails shows this ability for the first time ever in Sonic Lost World, when he grabs the toothpick stucked in Zomom's sandwich to save himself from being robotified.
- Punny Name: Miles Prower = miles per hour.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Shorter Means Smarter: Justified in that he is much younger than most of the cast.
- Sidekick: To Sonic.
- Kid Sidekick: He's almost twice as young as him to boot.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: While Sonic is most definitely not ineffectual, Tails` skill set and knowledge of electronics have proven invaluable to him in their adventures together.
- Single Specimen Species: Probably; if the cartoons are anything to go by, Tails is the only two-tailed fox there is.
- Sleepy Head: Starts yawning in his idle pose in the classic games and in Sonic Adventure, and falls asleep in Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic 4: Episode 2.
- The Smart Guy: Tends to be more far more rational and analytic than his peers.
- Super Mode: Super Tails, which has only appeared in Sonic 3 And Knuckles so far. Unlike the rest of the characters, he needs the Super Emeralds rather than the Chaos Emeralds to achieve super form. According to Word of God, this is due to his inexperience and young age. He even has four Super Flickies to attack enemies for him. In the Archie Comics, he can use the normal Chaos Emeralds to become Turbo Tails.
- Super Speed: His ability to move fast enough to keep up with Sonic impressed him enough that he took Tails as his sidekick.
- Super-Strong Child: Although he isn't muscular and is rather small compared to some of the other characters, but he's significantly strong for his age, although not physically, but rather by some sort of special powers. In Tails Adventure, he can punch through rock, and he can carry almost four times his weight whithout hindering his flight. In the Olympic games, he can bodycheck/tackle big characters like Bowser without difficulty.
- Tagalong Kid: Subverted. While he does meet Sonic by initially following him, he ends up proving useful and Sonic decides to keep him around. From then on, he's become one of Sonic's closest allies.
- Tail Slap
- Taking the Bullet: Does this a few times — He's back up within a few seconds.
- Tareme Eyes: Has the softest, droopiest eye shape of the cast — even more so than Cream.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Mint candy.
- Voice For The Voiceless: His classic self acts as this for Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations.
- Walking the Earth: He seems to spend time either doing this with Sonic, or in one of his multiple workshops.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Sonic's approval is very important to him, to the point where if he feels he doesn't have it makes Tails very upset. Fortunately, Sonic is already plenty proud of the young fox.
- Weak, but Skilled: Classified this way in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's afraid of lightning in some versions, especially in the OVA.
- Wise Beyond His Years: An eight-year-old who is able to fly a plane and make some cool gadgets. Also, he's often the mediator between Sonic's friends.
- Worthy Opponent: To Rouge in Sonic X.
- Would Hit a Girl: He has no problem challenging Rouge in battle in Sonic X. He loses.
Knuckles the Echidna
"I'll probably be on this floating island forever, guarding the Master Emerald again. I may not know the whole story behind this, but perhaps it's better that way. I'm at peace once more."
Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto (Japanese, OVA), Nobutoshi Canna (Japanese, 1998-present), Bill Wise (English, STH: The Movie), Brian Drummond (English, Sonic Underground), Michael McGaharn (English, 1999), Ryan Drummond (English, 2000), Scott Dreier (English, 2001-2004), Dan Green (English, Sonic X, 2005-2010), Travis Willingham (English, 2010-present)
A red echidna from Angel Island, and guardian of the Master Emerald. He was introduced as an antagonist in Sonic 3 And Knuckles
, having been told by Eggman that Sonic and Tails intended to steal the Master Emerald. Halfway through the game, Eggman betrays Knuckles and steals the Master Emerald himself, which forced Knuckles to accept Sonic & Tails help in getting it back. Afterward, Knuckles would then be one of the duo's chief allies in fighting Eggman, but his guardian duties keep out of the action most of the time. Not much of his past was known, but that changed with Sonic Adventure
which fleshed out his background quite a bit. Turns out, Knuckles is the last of the echindas after they were wiped out for attempting to use the the emeralds and desecrating the shrine(And injuring numerous Chao) which the angered the at the time guardian Chaos
. Afterward, the piece of the shrine became Angel Island.
If Sonic is like the wind, then Knuckles is like the mountain; stern and unmovable. So naturally, they tend to butt heads, but do get along occasionally. Because of spending most of his life on a secluded island, he naturally prefers to be by himself, has quite the wild temper, and a person who is not easy to get along with. However, despite these traits he has a good heart and more than willing to abandon his post to help out his friends.