Everybody's Super Sonic Racing, try to keep your feet right on the ground...Sonic R
is a racing game
staring the spiky blue speed demon and his friends
, developed by Travellers Tales
(who also made Sonic 3D Blast
) and released in 1997 for the Sega Saturn
and later for the PC. In 2005, it was re-released on the Nintendo GameCube
and PlayStation 2
as part of Sonic Gems Collection
, which is based the PC version of the game. It was also made available for download on GameTap for a short time in 2007.
Known for its power pop musical track by Richard Jaques and songs performed by British singer TJ Davis. Notable in the fact that the PC and Saturn versions of the game could be played in any standard CD player, in case you wanted to listen to the music without having to play the actual game.
This game is also notable for being the last Sonic the Hedgehog
game to use the "classic" designs for all the characters, and is the only fully-3D console game to do so (Sonic Jam
had only a small section in 3D).
Compare with Sonic Drift
, Sonic Riders
and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic R contains trope examples of:
- The Alleged Car: Amy's car.
- Alphabetical Theme Naming: Every race course in the game starts with the letter "R".
- Award Bait Song: Nearly the entire soundtrack is made of techno-pop versions of this.
- Canon Foreigner: Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles never reappear in any other game. Metal Knuckles got an expy in Sonic Advance Trilogy and the Tails Doll eventually appeared in the Archie Sonic comic.
- Metal Knuckles also appeared in the Archie Sonic comic as part of Eggman's Metal Series.
- The dummies fought by E-102γ in Sonic Adventure are sometimes called "Tails Dolls" by the fans, but they're obviously not the same character.
- Excuse Plot: It's referenced in the manual, but not in the game. The game is just a straightforward racer, with no story mode or attempt to make a plot.
- Go Karting with Bowser: Though the manual makes an admirable effort to pass it off as an evil plot.
- Joke Character:
- The Tails Doll. A profile of him at the Sonic Channel website states that after creating Metal Sonic and Metal Knuckles, Eggman didn't really put any effort in creating him. It's just a doll that can float around. The fans think differently, though.
- Egg Robo is essentially a clone of the already slow and hard to maneuver Dr Eggman albeit lacking the ability to perpetually hover. He hovers for a brief amount of time before gradually grinding to a halt and sinking, which is arguably more of a hindrance than just sinking by default.
- Love Is A Drug: Most of the soundtrack.
- Master Of All: Super Sonic has perfect stats across the board.
- No Ending: Besides A Winner Is You pics, nothing ever comes of the manual's plot.
- Palmtree Panic: Resort Island.
- Promoted to Playable: Eggman/Dr. Robotnik, who you can unlock by beating the game.
- The Psycho Rangers: Metal Sonic, Metal Knuckles and the Tails Doll. EggRobo is in this game too.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The robot bosses who are unlocked by finding the tokens hidden in the stages.
- Secret Character: There's Metal Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, EggRobo, and Super Sonic, the last of who you unlock by collecting all the Chaos Emeralds.
- The Smurfette Principle: Amy being the only girl in this game.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Most egregiously in the PC version and the Sonic Gems Collections re-release, "Can You Feel the Sunshine" will play no matter what the weather is like. The Sega Saturn original, however, does not have any weather effects at all.
- Video Game Settings: