Francisco Humberto Vélez Montiel (born March 30, 1955), better known as Humberto "Beto" Vélez, is probably the most recognized Mexican Voice Actor, in part thanks to his distinctive voice and having voiced Homer Simpson for the Latin American dub of The Simpsons, until he and the rest of the contracted actors were dismissed after going on strike against the new studio. Almost all the voice actors were replaced, which wasn't exactly welcomed by the fandom.
With over 20 years in the trade, he currently dedicates himself teaching the art of dubbing to younger actors interested on pursuiting this career and assisting conventions, when he's not doing the odd secondary voice on Disney Channel.
Besides his work on The Simpsons, he's the official Latin American Spanish voice for Winnie-the-Pooh (yes, he noticed the irony), the official Latin American Spanish voice for Nathan Lane and Danny Devito and has dubbed Steve Buscemi and James Gandolfini a couple of times. If your character is a wisecracking Jaded Washout, an arrogant jerk, or a fat obnoxious Bumbling Dad, there is a big chance it's Vélez.
Vélez was once married to fellow VA Cony Madera, and they had two children (Humberto, Jr. and Alicia, both of whom are voice actors in their own right), but they are now divorced.
Anime Dub Roles
- Naruto: Baki
- Bleach: Love Aikawa
- Cyborg 009: Isaac Gilmore
- Dragon Ball Kai: Dr. Brief (first 98 episodes)
- Megalobox: Gansaku Nanbu
- Saint Seiya: Hypnos (Hades Saga DVD Dubbing)
- Lost Universe: Alfred Stargazer
- Pokémon: Clay
- Tekkaman Blade: Commander Jamison
Live-Action TV Dub Roles
- Big Bad Beetleborgs: Flabber
- Married... with Children: Al Bundy
- Game of Thrones: Eddard "Ned" Stark
- Power Rangers Zeo: King Mondo
- The Sopranos: Tony Soprano
- Smallville: Perry White
Film Dub Roles
As the VA for Danny Devito:
- Big Fish: Amos Calloway
- Matilda: Harry Wormwood (also the narrator)
- Relative Strangers: Frank Menure
- Look Who's Talking Now: Voice of Rocks
As the VA for Nathan Lane:
As the VA for other actors:
- The Addams Family: Gomez Addams (Raúl Juliá)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Gibbs
- Justice League (2017): Steppenwolf (Ciarán Hinds)
- Harry Potter: Kreacher
Western Animation Dub Roles
- Cars: Dusty Rust-Eze and Ramone note
- The Little Mermaid: Sebastian note
- Shrek: Lord Farquaad
- Monsters, Inc. and Monsters University: Roz
- Toy Story 3: Chuckles
- The Simpsons: Homer Simpson note (until season 15)
- Winnie-the-Pooh: Winnie Pooh note
- Futurama: Professor Fansworth and Kiff note
- Family Guy: Peter Griffin note
- Rocket Power: Tito Makani
- The Book of Life: Skeleton Luis Sanchez
- Zootopia: Jerry Jumbeaux Jr.
- Mr. Bogus: Mr. Bogus
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: This is how he explained his Homer's voice during an interview.Homer is a drunk man. How do they talk? (talks like a drunk) Hi, I'm a drunk. But that isn't Homer Simpson. He is an idiot because he inserted a crayon on his nose. How idiots talk? (talks like an idiot) Like this, I'm an idiot. But that isn't Homer. You have to mix it (talks like a drunk idiot) drunk, plus idiot. But that's not enough. He is also lustful. He likes women like this (talks like a jerk) my dear, you look great. But he also lacks control, so how do they talk? (starts yelling) IS LIKE THIS, AND LIKE THAT. So you have to mix up the drunk, the idiot, the lustful (talks like Homer Simpson) AND THE MADMAN!
- Old Shame: Voicing the T-800 in Terminator. He has nothing against the movie or franchise, but always felt his voice was not the best for Arnold Schwarzenegger.