Daniel Michael "Danny" DeVito, Jr. (born November 17, 1944) is an American actor, comedian, director, and producer.
Highly prolific and easily recognizable by his short stature and strong New Jersey accent, DeVito first gained prominence with his portrayal of caustic taxi dispatcher Louie De Palma on the 197883 TV sitcom Taxi, for which he won a Golden Globe and an Emmy. He's since become a major film star with numerous credits to his name. In addition to acting, DeVito is also a director and producer who co-founded Jersey Films, a production company responsible for such films as Pulp Fiction, Garden State, Freedom Writers and its television sister company is responsible for Reno 911!.
DeVito returned to television in 2006, starring as Frank Reynolds in the FX (later FXX) sitcom It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. He also directs and produces graphic short horror films for his Internet venture The Blood Factory. He has appeared in several of them, as have friends of his and members of his family.
- 1975 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Martini
- 1983 Terms of Endearment as Vernon Dahlart
- 1984 Romancing the Stone as Ralph
- 1984 Johnny Dangerously as Burr
- 1986 Ruthless People as Sam Stone
- 1986 My Little Pony: The Movie (1986) as The Grundle King
- 1987 Throw Momma from the Train as Owen Lift
- 1987 Tin Men as Ernest Tilley
- 1988 Twins as Vincent Benedict
- 1989 The War of the Roses as Gavin D'Amato
- 1991 Other People's Money as Larry Garfield
- 1992 Batman Returns as Oswald Cobblepot / The Penguin
- 1993 Last Action Hero as Whiskers
- 1993 Look Whos Talking Now as Rox
- 1994 Renaissance Man as Bill Rago
- 1994 Junior as Dr. Larry Arbogast
- 1995 Get Shorty as Martin Weir
- 1996 Matilda as Harry Wormwood / Narrator
- 1996 Space Jam as Mr. Swackhammer
- 1996 Mars Attacks! as Rude Gambler
- 1997 The Rainmaker as Deck Shifflet
- 1997 Hercules as Philoctetes
- 1997 L.A. Confidential as Sid Hudgens
- 1999 Man on the Moon as George Shapiro
- 1999 The Virgin Suicides as Dr. Hornicker
- 2001 What's the Worst That Could Happen? as Max Fairbanks
- 2002 Death to Smoochy as Burke Bennet
- 2002 Austin Powers as Himself as 'Mini-Me'
- 2003 Big Fish as Amos Calloway
- 2005 Be Cool as Martin Weir
- 2006 Deck the Halls as Buddy Hall
- 2010 When in Rome as Al
- 2012 The Lorax as The Lorax (DeVito also provided the dialogue for the Italian, Mexican Spanish, European Spanish, German, and Russian dubs of the film)
- 19781983 Taxi as Louie De Palma
- 19911992, 2013 The Simpsons as Herb Powell
- 2006present It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as Frank Reynolds
Tropes associated with Danny DeVito!
- Black Comedy: A constant with his work, from his performances in films like Get Shorty, Batman Returns, and Ruthless People, to directing The War of the Roses, Matildanote and Death to Smoochy, to his decade-long-plus run on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.