A 2000 American crime comedy film directed by Nick Gomez that has a police chief (Danny DeVito) investigate the death of a woman named Mona (Bette Midler), an abusive and spiteful woman who was hated by everyone who knew her.
It was released on March 3, 2000.
Tropes for the film:
- The Alleged Car: The plot does not even tries to be kind to the Yugo. A malfunctioning Yugo is even how Mona died.
- Asshole Victim: Mona was hated by everybody and the Chief notes that he had seen people more angry about losing change than these folks did over being interrogated for Mona's murder.
- Character Title: The film is about the death of Mona.
- Clueless Deputy: Every cop is a complete idiot, except (possibly) the Chief of Police.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: Subtly parodied but ultimately averted as every car in town is a Yugo, but there isn't a single one that explodes.
- Everybody Did It: Half the town tried to kill the eponymous character, though most of them were pretty incompetent about it.
- Everybody Owns a Ford: The movie both justifies and plays with this trope. Before the film starts, a blurb comes up noting that the town of Verplanck was the testbed for a new Yugo model. During the movie, every car seen is a Yugo. There's even a Yugo car chase...where one Yugo requires a push-start...
- Everyone Is a Suspect: The film's premise.
- Love Father, Love Son: Rona is playing the wheel of fortune with both Jeff and Phil Dearly.
- Magic Brakes: How the titular character dies.
- Posthumous Character: The titular character dies only a couple of minutes into the movie and is fleshed out almost entirely via flashbacks.