On the eve of his eldest daughter's wedding, wealthy Dallas gynecologist Dr. Sullivan Travis' (Gere) finds his life beginning to unravel as his beloved wife Kate (Fawcett) suddenly suffers a mental regression, behaving like a child. Meanwhile, bride-to-be Dee Dee (Hudson) is carrying on a secret affair with her maid of honor, Marilyn (Tyler), and Travis' youngest daughter Connie (Reid) is a conspiracy nut. Further compounding things is the arrival of Travis' alcoholic sister-in-law Peggy (Dern) and her three young daughters, who decide to move in, and Bree Davis (Hunt), a professional golfer who becomes Travis' lover.
This film contains examples of:
- Armored Closet Gay: Dee Dee is marrying a man to obscure her relationship with Marilyn.
- Bookends: The very first conversation featuring Travis is about how his family is an all-female one, and he "wouldn't have it any other way". By the end of the film, he's so fed up with women that the very last line of the film is him excitedly exclaiming on successfully assisting a totally unrelated woman to give birth: "It's a boy! It's a boy! It's a beautiful boy!"
- Conspiracy Theorist: Connie is obsessed with conspiracy theories. Because of this, Travis is initially convinced that her warnings about Dee Dee and Marilyn's secret tryst are just another one of her theories.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Towards the end, Travis proposes to Bree. She rejects him.
- Fan Disservice: Early in the film, Kate suffers a mental breakdown and romps naked in a fountain. There is something very unsettling about a naked mature woman acting like a child.
- Gainax Ending: Rejected by Bree, Dr. T runs off to Mexico, gets lost and is found by a group of Mexican children who enlist his help in delivering a baby (it's a boy!). And then the movie ends.
- Naked Nutter: The plot truly kicks off when Kate Travis mentally regresses to childhood, strips off all her clothes, and plays naked in a nearby fountain - resulting her being committed to a mental hospital.
- Secretly-Gay Activity: Dee Dee uses the seemingly endless preparations for her impending wedding as an excuse to spend lots of time with her maid of honor Marilyn, who is also her secret lover.