On the eve of his eldest daughter's wedding, wealthy gynecologist Dr. Sullivan Travis' life starts to unravel as his beloved wife Kate suddenly suffers a mental regression, behaving like a child. Meanwhile, his older daughter Dee Dee is carrying on a secret affair with her maid of honor, Marilyn, and his youngest daughter Connie is a conspiracy nut. Further compounding things is the arrival of Travis' alcoholic sister-in-law Peggy and her three young daughters, who decide to move in, and Bree, a professional golfer who becomes Travis' lover.
This film contains examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Peggy likes her alcohol.
- Armored Closet Gay: Dee Dee is marrying a man to obscure her relationship with Marilyn.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Bonnie is obsessed with conspiracy theories. Because of this, Travis is initially convinced that her warnings about Dee Dee and Marilyn's secret tryst are just another one of her theories.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Towards the end, Travis proposes to Bree. She rejects him.
- Fan Disservice: Early in the film, Kate suffers a mental breakdown and romps naked in a fountain. There is something very unsettling about a naked mature woman acting like a child.
- Gainax Ending: Rejected by Bree, Dr. T runs off to Mexico, gets lost and is found by a group of Mexican children who enlist his help in delivering a baby. And then the movie ends.
- Secretly-Gay Activity: Dee Dee uses the seemingly endless preparations for her impending wedding as an excuse to spend lots of time with her maid of honor Marilyn, who is also her secret lover.
- Your Cheating Heart:
- Dee Dee is engaged to marry a man, but is secretly pursuing a tryst with her maid of honor Marilyn.
- With Kate's mental illness seemingly incurable, Travis starts wooing Bree.