Benjamin Géza Affleck-Boldt, better known as Ben Affleck (born August 15, 1972) is an American actor, film director and screenwriter.
He became known in the mid-1990s, after his involvement in his friend Kevin Smith's The View Askewniverse, first with the film Mallrats and later playing the lead role in Chasing Amy in 1997. Affleck became an Academy Award winner for his screenplay with BFF Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting in 1997. He has established himself as a Hollywood leading man, having starred in several big budget films, such as Armageddon (1998), Pearl Harbor (2001), Changing Lanes (2002), The Sum of All Fears (2002) and Daredevil (2003). In 2003 he starred in the bomb Gigli, which at the time killed his career as a big star.
He's since rebuilt his acting career from the ground up by focusing on less glamorous roles than his earlier career, earning back a lot of cred with an award-winning turn as the troubled George Reeves in Hollywoodland, and had a full-on Career Resurrection in 2007 with his directorial debut Gone Baby Gone which was both a critical and commercial success and with the reviews of 2010's The Town has proved that he's a force to be reckoned with. In 2012, he made the fact-based thriller Argo which is said to be his best yet and won an Oscar for Best Picture.
After a high profile relationship with actress Gwyneth Paltrow in 1998, his relationship with actress/singer Jennifer Lopez attracted worldwide media attention in which Affleck and Lopez were dubbed as "Bennifer", arguably one of the earliest public examples of the Portmanteau Couple Name being used by the mainstream media. Following their breakup in 2004, he began dating Daredevil co-star Jennifer Garner. "Bennifer 2.0" was much more successful, eventually leading to marriage and three kids - two daughters and a son before separating in 2015. Affleck is also known for his outspoken support of liberal politics.
On August 22, 2013, Affleck was cast as Batman in the DC Extended Universe, appearing for the first time in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. He subsequently appeared in Suicide Squad and Justice League, then left the franchise to focus on other works.
He is the older brother of actor Casey Affleck.
- Dazed and Confused (1993)
- Mallrats (1995)
- Chasing Amy (1997)
- Good Will Hunting (1997) - Academy Award winner for Best Original Screenplay with Matt Damon
- Shakespeare in Love (1998)
- Armageddon (1998)
- Phantoms (1998)
- Dogma (1999)
- Reindeer Games (2000)
- 'Joseph: King of Dreams (2000) (voice)
- Boiler Room (2000)
- Pearl Harbor (2001)
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
- The Sum of All Fears (2002)
- Changing Lanes (2002)
- Daredevil (2003)
- Gigli (2003)
- Paycheck (2003)
- Jersey Girl (2004)
- Hollywoodland (2006)
- Smokin' Aces (2007)
- Gone Baby Gone (2007) - Also directed
- He's Just Not That Into You (2009)
- State of Play (2009)
- Extract (2009)
- The Company Men(2010)
- The Town (2010) - Also directed
- To the Wonder (2012)
- Argo (2012) - Also directed, Academy Award winner for Best Picture
- Runner Runner (2013)
- Gone Girl (2014)
- DC Extended Universe as Bruce Wayne / Batman:
- The Accountant (2016)
- Live by Night (2016) - Also directed
- Triple Frontier (2019)
- Awesome, Dear Boy:
- He enjoys being in Kevin Smith's movies so much that he acts for less than he usually gets paid.
- He also declared that he'll always jump at the chance to play Batman in a DCEU film when the call comes.
- Career Resurrection: Gone Baby Gone and The Town brought him back on the map, and his Oscar win for Argo solidified it.
- I Am Not Spock: He's come to endure this from his own son since starring in Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and his son now apparently thinks he's actually Batman. This is to the degree where the son mistakes any Fed-Ex delivery guys for The Joker (as the uniform is purple) and Ben has had to pay the poor soul $20 to stage a fight on the lawn for his son's benefit.
- The only actor, thus far, to don both the costumes of Batman (obviously), and Superman (as George Reeves in Hollywoodland).
- One for the Money; One for the Art: One of the reasons he took the role of Batman was in exchange for Warner Brothers financing any movies he wanted to direct. The other reasons on the other hand...
- Out of Holiday Episode: Surviving Christmas, starring Affleck, a movie that takes place during Christmas, was released on October 22, 2004. It originally was slated for a Christmas 2003 release, but it was pushed back to avoid competing with another film of his, Paycheck.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: 'Bennifer' for his relationship with Jennifer Lopez. When he started dating Jennifer Garner, it was dubbed 'Bennifer 2.0'.
- Production Posse: Aside from Clerks he's appeared in all of Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse movies.
- Star-Derailing Role: A combination of the failure of Gigli and his infamous appearance in Jennifer Lopez's "Jenny From The Block" music video caused him to fall out of the public's good graces for a while.
- Star-Making Role: The Oscar win for Good Will Hunting and the blockbuster success of Armageddon really put him on the map.
- Those Two Actors:
- As he and Matt Damon are good friends and old high school buddies, they've frequently collaborated.
- He's also been in several movies and an Axe body spray commercial with Scoot McNairy.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: He got his start in comedies and campy blockbusters, but moved towards serious dramatic roles such as Hollywoodland, State of Play, Gone Baby Gone etc.