Henry William Dalgliesh Cavill (born May 5, 1983) is a British actor. He is known mainly for his roles in The Tudors and Immortals, and for being the latest movie incarnation of Superman, in the DC Extended Universe.
Also well-known for his bad luck, consisting of a long string of near-misses in landing important roles before his rise to prominence.
His roles include:
- The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) as Albert Mondego
- Hellraiser: Hellworld (2005) as Mike
- Tristan and Isolde (2006) as Melot
- Stardust (2007) as Humphrey
- The Tudors (2007-2010) as Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk
- Whatever Works (2009) as Randy Lee James
- Immortals (2011) as Theseus
- The Cold Light of Day (2012) as Will Shaw
- DC Extended Universe as Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) as Napoleon Solo
- Mission: Impossible Fallout (2018) as August Walker
- Nomis (2018) as Marshall
- The Witcher (2020) as Geralt of Rivia
His works provide examples of:
- The Charmer: His characters are usually pretty laid-back and debonair.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- Fake American: Has been cast in an increasing number of American roles.
- Fan Community Nickname: His fans have gotten the name "The Cavillry".
- Funny Character, Boring Actor: Inverted. While he plays an intense Superman, Cavill is easygoing and even playful.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Whom do you think his incarnation of Superman gets it from?
- Meme Acknowledgement: Cavill's had a lot of fun with the trouble his mustache brought to Justice League.
- Mr. Fanservice: He gets quite a few Shirtless Scenes in his films.
- Nice Guy: He's generally known to be an affable, friendly, and humble bloke, and a Friend to All Living Things.
- One of Us: He's an avid gamer and comic book fan, and particularly a Superman fan, so playing the Big Blue Boy Scout on the big screen is a huge dream come true for him. Among the games he has listed as his favorites are Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, World of Warcraft, Borderlands 2, and The Witcher. Speaking of Warcraft, Cavill related during promotion for Man of Steel that he nearly missed the call telling him he'd won the role because he was in the middle of a raid. When Netflix began casting a new Witcher live-action series, he specifically reached out to them and won the part of the White Wolf himself.
- Promoted Fanboy: He's a big fan of video games, those based on The Witcher included. He landed the role of Geralt of Rivia in the upcoming Netflix series in September 2018.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's 6'1 with dark hair and is strikingly good-looking.
- What Could Have Been:
- He became rather famous for being among the top three contenders for certain major roles but always missing out, including Superman in a movie in development in 2003 (that eventually became Superman Returns with Brandon Routh), Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter, Edward in Twilight and even James Bond in Casino Royale. Him finally getting the role of Superman was seen in the fan community as a Throw the Dog a Bone moment.
- In his personal blog, Dragon Age lead writer David Gaider claimed that, had he known Cavill liked Dragon Age and Mass Effect back when he was on The Tudors, he would have lobbied hard to have him do some voice acting in one of their games. Alas, now that he's Superman, Gaider laments that he's out of their price range.