Brandon James Routh (born October 9, 1979 in Des Moines, Iowa) is an American actor and former fashion model. He grew up in Iowa before moving to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career, and subsequently appeared on multiple television series throughout the early Turn of the Millennium.
He's apparently got a thing for starring in live action adaptations of comic books; in 2006, he gained greater recognition for his role as the titular superhero of Superman Returns, and also provided his voice for Everywhere Man in The Batman. Following this, he starred in the 2010 films Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and the eponymous protagonist of Dylan Dog: Dead of Night. Some other notables credits in his filmography include a recurring role in the series Chuck, as well as a supporting part in Zack and Miri Make a Porno.
Since 2014, he's been appearing as Ray Palmer (The Atom) across the Arrowverse, first appearing on Arrow and then The Flash, ultimately joining the cast of their shared spinoff Legends of Tomorrow as a regular.
- Gilmore Girls (2001)
- One Life to Live (2001 — 2002)
- Cold Case (2003)
- Will & Grace (2004)
- Oliver Beene (2004)
- Karla (2006)
- The Batman (2006)
- Superman Returns (2006)
- Fear Itself (2008)
- Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008)
- Miss Nobody (2010)
- Unthinkable (2010)
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)
- Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010)
- Chuck (2010 — 2011)
- Partners (2012)
- The Exes (2014)
- Enlisted (2014)
- The Millers (2014)
- Arrowverse (2014 — present) as Ray Palmer / The Atom:
- Celebrity Resemblance: He said that he was always told that he resembles Christopher Reeve, which is perhaps the reason why Brandon himself eventually gets cast as Superman.
- Dyeing for Your Art: After being cast as the title character for Superman Returns, he sought out a movement coach to help him create the proper body language for the legendary character. To reprise his Superman role in Crisis on Infinite Earths (2019), he trained to become more muscular.
- Promoted Fanboy: He is a huge Superman fan. As a kid, he collected the comics, owned the films, and even wore Superman pajamas.
- Protagonist Title: In Dylan Dog: Dead of Night and obviously Superman Returns.
- Star-Making Role: He is one of the many actors who became a household name after donning The Cape of the legendary Man of Steel.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's 6'3, and his characters are always depicted as a Chick Magnet or/and a Mr. Fanservice.
- Typecasting: He frequently gets cast in Live-Action Adaptation of comicbooks.