Brandon James Routhnote (born October 9, 1979) is an American actor and former fashion model. He grew up in Iowa before moving to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career, and subsequently appeared on multiple television series throughout the early Turn of the Millennium.
He's apparently got a thing for starring in live action adaptations of comic books; in 2006, he gained greater recognition for his role as the titular superhero of Superman Returns, and also provided his voice for Everywhere Man in The Batman. Following this, he starred in the 2010 films Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and the eponymous protagonist of Dylan Dog: Dead of Night. Some other notables credits in his filmography include a recurring role in the series Chuck, as well as a supporting part in Zack and Miri Make a Porno.
From 2014 to 2021, he portrayed Ray Palmer (The Atom) in the Arrowverse, first appearing on Arrow and then The Flash, ultimately joining the cast of their shared spinoff Legends of Tomorrow as a regular.
Since 2007, he has been married to Courtney Ford, his costar in Legends of Tomorrow. The two have a son together.
- Undressed (2000) as Wade
- Gilmore Girls (2001) as Jess
- One Life to Live (2001-02) as Seth Anderson
- Cold Case (2003) as Henry Phillips, 1964
- Will & Grace (2004) as Sebastian
- Oliver Beene (2004) as Brian
- Karla (2006) as Tim
- The Batman (2006) as John Marlowe / Everywhere Man (voice)
- Superman Returns (2006) as Clark Kent / Superman
- Fear Itself (2008) as Bobby
- Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008) as Bobby Long
- Miss Nobody (2010) as Milo Beeber
- Unthinkable (2010) as Agent D.J. Jackson
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) as Todd Ingram
- Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010) as Dylan Dog
- Chuck (2010-11) as Daniel Shaw
- Partners (2012-13) as Wyatt Plank
- The Daly Show (2013) as himself
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) as David "Hesh" Walker (voice)
- The Exes (2014) as Steve
- Enlisted (2014) as Brandon Stone
- The Millers (2014) as Officer Dixon
- Arrowverse as Ray Palmer / The Atom
- Lady Dynamite (2016) as Jack
- blackish (2019) as Banner Copeland
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? (2019) as Gavin's Dad (uncredited)
- Anastasia: Once Upon a Time (2020) as Nicholas Romanov II
- Home Movie: The Princess Bride (2020) as Westley and Princess Buttercup
- The Rookie (2021) as Officer Doug Stanton
- Celebrity Resemblance: He said that he was always told that he resembles Christopher Reeve, which is perhaps the reason why Brandon himself eventually got cast as Superman.
- Dyeing for Your Art: After being cast as the title character for Superman Returns, he sought out a movement coach to help him create the proper body language for the legendary character. Years later, he bulked up to reprise his Superman role in Crisis on Infinite Earths, even though Brandon had been plenty of muscular himself.
- Promoted Fanboy: He is a huge Superman fan. As a kid, he collected the comics, owned the films, and even wore Superman pajamas.
- Protagonist Title: In Dylan Dog: Dead of Night and obviously Superman Returns.
- Star-Making Role: He is one of the many actors who became a household name after donning The Cape of the legendary Man of Steel.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's 6'3, and his characters are always depicted as a Chick Magnet or/and a Mr. Fanservice.
- Typecasting: He frequently gets cast in Live-Action Adaptation of comicbooks.