James Patrick Caviezel, Jr. (born September 26, 1968 in Mount Vernon, Washington) is an American film and television actor.
He is best known for having portrayed Jesus Christ in Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. Other notable roles include Bobby Jones in Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius, Detective John Sullivan in Frequency, Edmond Dantès in The Count of Monte Cristo, Catch in Angel Eyes, Carroll Oerstadt in Déjà Vu and Private Witt in The Thin Red Line. He starred as John Reese on the CBS crime drama Person of Interest from September 2011 to June 2016.
Off-screen, he has been married to his wife Kerri since 1996, and they have adopted three Chinese children.
Works he has appeared in:
- Wyatt Earp: Warren Earp
- The Rock: Rear F-18 Pilot
- G.I. Jane: Slovnik
- The Thin Red Line: Pvt. Witt
- Frequency: John Sullivan
- Angel Eyes: Steven 'Catch' Lambert
- Pay It Forward: Jim McCormick
- The Count of Monte Cristo: Edmound
- High Crimes: Tom Kubik/Ron Chapman
- The Final Cut: Fletcher
- Highwaymen: James 'Rennie' Cray
- The Passion of the Christ: Jesus
- Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius: Bobby Jones
- Unknown (2006): Jean Jacket
- Déjà Vu: Carroll Oerstadt
- Outlander: Kainan
- The Prisoner (2009): 6
- Transit: Nate
- Person of Interest: Jonn Reese
- Escape Plan: Hobbes
- Paul, Apostle of Christ: Luke
- Sound of Freedom: Tim Ballard
This actor's work provides examples of:
- …But I Play One on TV: In case you were wondering, no, he is not actually Jesus; he just played him in a movie. However, he happily admits to actually being The Count of Monte Cristo and John Reese.